Chapter 11
115 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 The back pain tea sold for a hundred dollars, with the box. Which, considering it had costed Erin just three dollars, with the box, was a win. But, Erin had no bank account. So, he had Andrew take the money and then give them to him in cash.

And so, Erin was back at the sewers. Trying to find Alek. He was wearing some of his new clothes, which were too nice for this place, despite being second hand. Erin didn’t begrudge Andrew that. He had made up for the fact with the sheer quantity of the clothes. And they had all fit.

Truly, Andrew was an angel, as far as Erin was concerned. One who would overwork himself to an early grave, if he was allowed. And Erin couldn’t have that.

So, he had sneakily tried to invite Andrew out for some downtime. After work, on Sunday. But, as it turns out, Andrew did the same hours on Sundays as he did on weekdays.

Which was insane, Erin thought. He could see that Andrew would make a beeline for the bed most nights. They barely had a chance to talk, so tired was the ginger.

Honestly, if Erin didn’t need the money, he would have stopped carrying back teas from the herbal shop. But, he did need the money and so, as guilty as he felt for making his only real friend slave away, he didn’t stop with the teas.

However, Erin required papers. And a bank account. And Alek was the older vampire. He must know what there was to be done in such cases. He didn’t look like he didn’t have an ID to his name, unlike Erin.

Erin made a turn and saw Alek playing with a dead rat. That was normal for the red head. He had told Erin once that, since there was no TV down in the sewers, rats were his only entertainment. On top of being his only food source.

“Hi, Alek,” waved Erin, and he got the man’s attention. The red-headed vampire set down the rat and looked at him quizzing.

“Hey, Erin. Long time no see. Nice clothes,” Erin grinned. Yes, they were nice, albeit outdated. People didn’t so much as glanced his way on the streets anymore. “And nice man bun.”

“The clothes are a gift from my roommate. And the man bun is for work,” Alek wolf whistled at the last part.

“Wish I could land a job. But, they all want a high school diploma, at the least. When I was alive, those were for the rich,” whined Alek and Erin took a closer look at him.

He had green eyes and his hair was red. Natural red, no dyes. As if Alek would spend his money on cosmetics. It fell pass his shoulders freely and was dirty as can be. All tangled and covered with God knew what from the sewers.

But, his clothes were sturdy. No holes on them. And his shoes, while not as nice as Erin’s, looked in good order too. So, Alek must have a way to make money. Even from the sewers.

“Alek, I need papers,” said Erin. He noted the mischievous look Alek gave him and resisted the urge to groan.

“So, go to the stationery store,” Erin shook his head at the low dig.

“I require an ID, something to go to a bank with to make an account. And a birth certificate,” Alek looked thoughtful at that.

“Yes, it can be done. But, for a price,” Erin had five hundred dollars on him. In his charming, new wallet. The thing hadn’t been able to fit in more money. So, Erin had left the rest at home.

“I have five hundred on me, will it be enough for everything?” Erin asked and Alek brightened up.

“Three a hundred will get you the basic package. If you try to move, you will need an update,” Erin nodded. He hadn’t expected much else.

“When can I pick them up?”

Alek shook his head.

“I don’t make them. It will be fifty dollars for me to lead you to the one who does,” Erin grumbled, but he took out the money and handed them over. “That is human blood for a day. Thanks, mate. Anyway, Nick makes them. He is a human. His stuff is top-notch. No one can tell the difference. He used to work for the government, so, he doesn’t make mistakes.”

Erin felt relieved to hear that. They moved out of the sewers and into the ghetto. The houses had clothes in front of them and there were freely roaming dogs around. Erin edged to Alek.

Erin’s family had been poor, but they lived in a middle-class neighborhood. One that neighbored China town. The newly made vampire had never been to a ghetto before. The sights, the smells…well, the smells reminded him of the sewer, and he didn’t mind them, too much. But, around him were people down on their luck. He didn’t kid himself on that.

They went to a house that had no differences from the others, and Alek knocked.

“Nick, I bring a customer,” a big man came through the door. He was pure muscle and had white hair and beard. He looked like Santa. If Santa was a body builder.

“Come on in. Alek, stay outside. You stink,” Alek shrugged and leaned on the wall. Erin went in and noticed that the house was well furnished.

“If your business is going well, why do you live in such a house? I mean, it is fine from the inside, but the outside is rundown,” asked Erin and Nick turned to him.

“What are you? Brain-dead? You think I want for people to figure out what I do? Alek brings me ten of your people each day. Honestly, you should have come sooner,” Nick showed Erin to a photo shoot area and Erin went to sit on the stool.

“Now, look serious. Most of the fake ID’s those teenagers make are with smiles. Act like you have been in line for hours, and it is finally your turn,” Erin adopted a neutral expression, and he heard the click of the camera.      

4