Chapter 13
104 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 “Andrew, you can’t keep going on like that. I can see the bags under your eyes, don’t argue. You will not lose your job, just get promoted. From now on, you are the manager of the store. You will take care of the auction and the online store and all that, supplying and sending wares to the customers. I will man the store itself,” Andrew was sitting down, the contract for the buying of all those Austrian antiques between him and Karl.

He blinked. He knew he was going to be promoted, and soon. Furthermore, he had made Karl too much money not to be. But, to become a manager? He only knew basic things he had learned in passing and had a home economics class under his belt. Could he really take the responsibility? Karl sighed and continued speaking.

“I know you might think this is too much too fast, but, Andrew, you made me 100 grands in a month. That is more money than I have ever seen. You will get a raise and your hours will become more flexible. You are valuable to me, boy, and I dare not work you to death. Besides, I have been bored stiff waiting for your reports and for something to send. I miss seeing the customers,” Andrew nodded.

Mr. Roman was not dissatisfied with him. He was pleased. So, Andrew supposed that he had done well. And, he supposed, a couple more naps per day couldn’t go amiss.

He had nearly fallen asleep on the counter yesterday. Granted, he had caught himself on time, and it had been four pm and there had not been anyone in the store. But, he had to admit that he was overworked.

“I accept the position, Mister Roman,” said Andrew respectfully. Karl waved him off.

“No, Mr. Roman, just Karl. How many times must I tell you that, Andrew? Come now. Go home and get some rest. You have today off. No arguing,” Andrew grinned and stood up. He looked at the contract.

“That needs to be sent back with an email,” he tried, but Karl was having none of it.

“Tomorrow. Today you better get,” Karl checked his watch. “Fourteen hours of sleep, young man! That is an order.”

Andrew saluted and Karl chuckled. Then, Andrew left Karl’s house and headed home. Karl lived close to the store, so, the walk was not a big one. When he came back, he saw that there were tea boxes on the coffee table.

Shrugging, he went to open them, and he took a photo of each one. They were different. Headache, back pain, indigestion, leaky gut, and many more. Andrew wondered if they really helped with what was written on each note. Or, was it all a placebo effect?

He never drank any of them, so, he wouldn’t know. He edited the photos and loaded them on eBay. Then, he had a quick early dinner and clocked in for the day.

Andrew was woken by knocking hours later. He opened his bedroom door and saw that it was an excited Erin.

“My papers are done!” Erin waved an ID and Andrew grinned.

“Great job, Erin. You kept your name?” Andrew stared at the ID. The date of birth was different from the one Erin had told him, but the ID looked legal, from where Andrew was standing.

“Yes, I figured it would be confusing if I changed it. Hudson is a common last name. It won’t raise eyebrows,” yes, Andrew supposed. But Erin wasn’t. Still, he was not about to baby Erin. The man wouldn’t appreciate it. Besides, Andrew was certain that Erin knew the risks of keeping his name. “Come on, I have some money left over after paying. I want to take you out to a bar. My treat.”

Andrew blinked. It was nice of Erin, but there was one problem.

“I don’t drink or smoke. What will I be doing in the club?” Asked Andrew, and Erin’s eyes widened.

“Really? Because you are under the age limit? I can order and you can drink. No one will notice,” suggested Erin, but Andrew shook his head.

“I don’t like the taste of alcohol. Or the smell,” Erin’s eyebrows rose.

“Well, you can still dance. Pick up a girl. If you do find someone you like and get lucky, I’ll find another place to stay for the night. Or stay at the bar. I feel like picking up someone too. Come on, Andrew, don’t be an old man,” Andrew worried his lower lip.

He had work tomorrow. But, the auction he had loaded would be done at six pm tomorrow. The Austrian wares would come next week, so, he wouldn’t need to store them tomorrow. And, the online store was automated. He supposed that he could have some downtime.

“Fine, let me just change,” Erin took out a bag from behind his back and handed it over.

“In this. I can’t have you go to a bar looking like a blue color corporate slave. The girls like bad boys,” Andrew rummaged in the bag and took out a black shirt, which looked simple enough. And there were dress pants in there, but, when he unfurrow them, he noticed their cut was more form fitting. There were also sunglasses inside.

“For what do I need sunglasses at night in autumn?” Asked Andrew with a raised eyebrow.

“You put them in your shirt. So, they poke out of your front pocket. Like you are ready to club for the entire night and the entire day. I got plenty of dates with that trick,” Andrew shrugged and went back inside his room to change.

When he came out, Erin wolf whistled.

“I’ll have to beat the ugly ones off you with a stick. You were a ladykiller under all that nerdiness, Andy,” Andrew blew at the nickname, but let it be. Then, his nose scrunched up.

“Nerdiness? What nerdiness? I’ll have you know I was on the soccer team in high school!” Snapped Andrew and Erin grinned.

“You certainly have the build. Let us go,” and they both took their coats and left.

6