Chapter 35
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 When they got out of the jewelry store, Erin had a bright grin on his face. They had told Andrew and Hank that they were going searching for clues. Erin wanted to go to the Pine Lodge Hotel as soon as possible.

He would take Andrew to the pool, they had an in-door one, and they would swim a bit. Erin would splash some water his way. Then, they will get to playing. And, finally, when Andrew was reduced to giggles, Erin would propose in the water.

But, when they got to the hotel, only Hank was there.

“Where is Andrew?” Asked Erin, sounding concerned.

“Went searching for clues,” said Hank, and he shrugged. “He told me he could do so alone. He sent me a text saying he heard of a woman whose son disappeared. Agent Jackson went to speak with her.”

Erin sat down on a chair and then ran a hand over his hair.

“Relax, fangs, Andy is a big boy. It is not like he will go into the national park by himself,” assured him Daphne.

“I know,” said Erin, sounding no less worried. “But he is just eighteen.”

Hank snorted.

“Old enough to have a boyfriend and go on hunts, old enough to take responsibility for himself. I have been hunting since I was fourteen. The boy will be fine,” finished Hank.

“Yes, but you are a werewolf,” reminded him Erin. Andrew had only a gun and a knife. If something went wrong, he could die.

“He is an agent. Your equal in every way. Now, out of my room, the both of you. I will be taking you in the mountains come morning. I need my rest before that,” Hank shooed them away and they both went to their shared room. It was a lot more cost-effective for all three of them to share a room. Not to mention, it was easier to keep each other safe.

Andrew stared at the old-looking house before him. It looked well-kept, but then again, all the houses in this neighborhood did. He went to the door and knocked three times.

A woman soon answered, and she looked at him with a bright smile on her face.

“Hello, young man. Are you new in the neighborhood? Do you need to be introduced to the others?” Andrew shook his head.

“I am a special agent,” he showed her his CIA badge. Every agent at the Office of Supernatural Affairs had one. Which led Andrew to believe that they were a branch of the agency. “I am here for your son.”

“Oh, do come in. Was Mike found?” She sounded hopeful, and Andrew didn’t want to dash her hopes. But, there was nothing he could tell her.

“I am sorry, Ms. Harrison, but Mike is a cold case we have just reopened. We have reasons to believe that whoever took your son is still active in the area. So, we are searching for her,” Ms. Harrison’s eyes widened.

“It was a woman?” Andrew chastised himself at the slip up.

“The woman we suspect of having abducted your child has a criminal record with similar cases. She hides somewhere in the park. We need to know all that you do about the day of Mike’s abduction. So that we can find her and bring her to justice,” Andrew finished, and he was pointed at a couch.

This house looked like a single woman had been living in it for a long time. There was embroidery on every table cloth. Little, delicate, figurines, cluttered the place. And, the house was a nice pink color.

Andrew sat on the pink couch and noticed that it was soft. Far softer than it looked. He turned to Ms. Harrison.

“Where do I begin? I remember there was a storm that day. A horrible blizzard,” she began, looking lost in thought. Andrew had read in the file that hags could control the weather, to an extent. Only once per year, but for a whole of twenty-four hours. So, this hag caused blizzards to kidnap children? That aligned with the fact that only one child went missing every year.

“What else could you tell me?” Asked Andrew as the woman looked at an empty spot over the fireplace.

“Before that day, Mike had horrible nightmares. He constantly told me that he was being watched. And I did nothing,” Ms. Harrison looked down at her hands and Andrew reached out a hand to grab hers.

“In such a calm and peaceful town, you couldn’t have known that someone was kidnapping children,” said Andrew, trying to sound calming. “It was not your fault. What else went missing with the child? In the files, it was written that he was five?”

“But I did know that people went missing,” said the woman, sounding hysterical. “Beth’s boy went missing during a blizzard. And Dorena’s daughter went missing during a blizzard! There is something more going on, here. You must listen to me. Whatever took my son is not human.”

Andrew agreed with her. He knew for a fact that it was a hag. But, one of the main rules for working at the agency was that civilians couldn’t be told that there were non-humans among them. So, Andrew made comforting circles on Ms. Harrison’s arm with his thumb and looked her dead in the eyes.

“There is no such thing as ghosts, or supernatural beings, Ms. Harrison. The woman who took your son has a name. She was born human. And she is still one. The only difference between us and she is that she is sick in the brain,” finished Andrew. Half-lies were something he had become an expert in, back in Fort Piers. They came easy to him — now.

“What does she do with the children?” Asked the mother, looking pale as a ghost.

In the file, it was written that sometimes human bones were the only thing Mary Peters left behind. Andrew didn’t want to tell Ms. Harrison that.

“We have no idea. If we could have had some clues on the woman, apart from her name, then we would have caught her, already,” Ms. Harrison nodded and Andrew stood up. He had learned all that he could from here.

1