Chapter 41
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Andrew was running. He was told to use an endurance spell to run. So far, he had been on the treadmill for the last five hours. He was not tired, but he was getting hungry. His stomach grumbled, and the scientist who had been monitoring him pressed the end button.

With much relief, Andrew stopped running and waited until the man unhooked him from the heart monitor. When the dark-haired man did so, Andrew got off the treadmill and stretched.

“Am I done for today?” Andrew was hopeful. This has taken a week. It was Christmas today, and he wanted to spend it with Erin. The scientist regarded him coolly and looked in his clipboard.

“It is written here that you have half an hour for lunch, and then you have to spend three hours writing down the information that you have absorbed. But, thereafter, you are free to go home, agent Jackson,” Andrew nodded. He was sweaty and would have liked a shower.

Then, he facepalmed. He could do magic, surely, there was a cleaning spell in the Grimoire? He took some time to think and, finally, he found one that would have the same effect as a shower. Furthermore, he spoke the word and felt magic clean him and his clothes. He grinned. Now, he could eat.

The scientist regarded him with something akin to envy, but he stood up and led Andrew to the dining area. There was a single table with a hearty meal on it and a glass of water next to it.

Andrew dug in the eggs and sausages and polished his plate in record time. He could lessen the load on his muscles with magic, but the fuel needed for him to do physical exercise still had to come either from Andrew’s reserves or food.

When he was done, he went to the sink to wash up and, when he turned around to take his plate and glass and cutlery, they were already gone. The table looked freshly cleaned, and the scientist was nowhere to be found.

Andrew stared at the clock that was on the wall. He had another fifteen minutes. He went and sat on the chair and stared at the clock. So far, they were just testing his endurance. Swimming, diving, running, jumping rope. If it required physical activity, they made him do it in the early hours of the day.

He used the same spell every day. He saw no point in changing it. Maybe there was a better one, one that converted magic into fuel. But, he wanted to avoid using it.

Magic was, after all, a form of a muscle. If he started to use his muscles for fuel, he could get sick. So, he didn’t inform the scientists that there were other spells, and they didn’t ask.

He had a different scientist assigned to him each day. But, they all had one thing in common. They were detached. Andrew had tried to talk to the first one. To befriend him. However, he had received clipped responses and raised eyebrows.

That made Andrew worried. Sure, as an agent, there were some assurances that he wouldn’t end up on an operational table. But, Erin had told him that Mark had been an agent. And Mark was now under the scalpel. Or so Andrew had heard.

Thinking on Mark got him curious. Maybe he could check up on him? See if things weren’t too bad for him? Sure, the man was a murderer, but Andrew still held some pity in his heart for him.

He went to the sink and placed the stopper in the drain. Then, he filled it with water. He brought his hand to his mouth and bitt himself. Spitting out the blood inside the water, he watched as it blended with the liquid.

Then, he saw a picture. Mark was in a cell, pacing. He was in his natural form and there was another person in the cell with him. It was the hag he had caught, Mary.

Why were they in the same cell? Wasn’t it a security risk? Andrew pressed his ear to the water. And then, he heard what they were saying.

“He shot me in the eyes! How dare he! I will gauge out that boy’s eyes for that!” That was Mark, Andrew could recognize his suave voice everywhere.

“I was at my lowest, just after the blizzard. I barely have any power left in me after one of those. Just enough to change forms. And he captured me, then. Just my luck,” so, Mary was not completely incompetent. It was just that Andrew had caught her at the right time.

“I know how to get out. When they bring in the meals, you will…” the door to the examination room opened and Andrew rose his head.

“What are you doing, agent Jackson?” Snapped the agent.

“Mark Ulcer and Mary Peters are in the same cell. They plan to escape during the next meal time,” said Andrew urgently. The scientist looked at the clock over the sink.

“That is in five minutes,” he said, looking worried. “If you can provide any assistance from here, agent Jackson, then you will be free to go straight after that. I will make it happen.”

Andrew nodded and looked in the water again. The scientist went to look over his shoulder and gasped, clearly seeing the two. Andrew first made sure there was a barrier on the bars. But, he could feel that Mary’s magic had fully returned to her. That won’t keep her for long.

Then, realization hit him. They were going to escape using Mark’s powers in the start and then Mary’s. So, with a flick of his wrist, Andrew cut up Mark’s tongue so bad, the Nosferatu angel began coughing blood.

“Agent Jackson! You had no clearance to hurt the prisoners!” The scientist pulled out his phone just as Mary began to shake. She looked around and then, her eyes met Andrew’s.

“Soup,” she said, and Andrew stopped in his tracks. She knew that he was watching. That he had been the one to hurt Mark. The person who was carrying the meals came and opened the cell’s door. Mary tried to lunge at him, but something tugged her back to the wall.

The jailer spared Mark just a glance, shook his head, and placed the food down. Then, he exited and locked the door, rushing away. Andrew breathed a sigh of relief. Today the disaster had been averted, but what of tomorrow?  

1