Chapter 46
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Andrew looked at the sketches on offer. They were well-made and some of them were in color. All of them were done with a pencil and depicted different city streets.

There was one showing the base of the Eiffel Tower, another showing Central Park, a third showing a beautiful fountain in Rome. To anyone, these would be just sketches, works of art. To Andrew, they were gold mines.

“And you say you can get more and that none of them are prints?” Asked Andrew. The cashier, a tanned woman in her late forties, nodded.

“I get them from all over. Most of them from airport auctions,” she said, and Andrew got a quizzing look on his face.

“A what now?” He had never heard of such a thing.

“When people forget their luggage at an airport and don’t look for it, it gets sold to people like me. Furthermore, when people abandon their storage units, their things go on auction, too. Doesn’t sound good, but it keeps my shop full. Granted, I got burned a few times. They don’t show you what it is in the luggage most times. But, I know what to look for,” Andrew regarded the rest of the gift shop.

“Are all your wares from such auctions?” Some things looked new. Definitely not owned by anyone beforehand.

“No, just some of the more expensive ones. You work for the antique shop on Elm street, don’t you?” Andrew nodded and managed a small smile. She was onto him. “You have been making money out of thin air. How?”

“I’d rather not tell,” the woman frowned at him, but nodded. “I’d like to buy all your sketches and preorder all those you come across.”

“So, you sell the art?” Asked the woman, needling him for more information.

“He does auctions,” piped in Erin and Andrew send him a glare. The woman sighed.

“I tried that too, once. Didn’t work. I had to undersell. You must have a knack for it, if Roman is buying a new car,” Andrew wasn't aware that Karl could afford something like that. He had thought that the man would invest some money.

“Andy, a minute,” Erin took a hold of Andrew’s elbow and pulled him to the side.

“Look, Andy, I understand that you are a loyal employee. I don’t understand why, but that is a different matter altogether. The point is, you have the money. Buy the sketches with your funds and sell them under your name. You did get Karl an entire shop worth of things back in Fort Piers. He had enough things to sell,” Andrew wavered.

Yes, now he could buy under his name. But, should he? The risk in buying with Karl’s money was lesser. Granted, there was not a case in which he hadn’t managed to sell anything for a profit, but it could set him back by a lot if he couldn’t sell these sketches.

“I don’t know, Erin. I mean, what if I fail?” Erin sighed and placed a hand on Andrew’s shoulder.

“You? Fail? Andrew, you can spin gold. Just try. Buy them all, sell them all. If I can take the risk to purchase Chinese placebo effect pills and powders and teas, then you can buy some art,” Andrew looked at the nearest sketch. It looked fetching. He could imagine it in an art gallery.

“Fine. But if I can’t put food on the table the coming month, I am blaming you,” Erin grinned at those words and Andrew went back to the cashier.

“I’ll buy all the sketches you have on stock,” Andrew pulled out his wallet. “How much?”

“What? You don’t want to preorder anymore?” Asked the woman, and Andrew blushed.

“You must understand, as someone who hadn’t had luck, that…”

“Yes, you don’t want to risk it. If you do succeed, do swing by. I get new ones of those every week. It is why they are so cheap. Normally, I end up giving them away. They cost ten dollars each,” Andrew pulled out his debit card and handed it over.

“My name is Laura, by the way,” said the cashier as she rang his purchases. “Two thousand and ten sketches. Never thought I will sell this many.”

Andrew’s eyes widened.

“How many?” his eyes threatened to bulge out of his eye sockets. “I don’t have the kind of space to store all those sketches. Some are canvas sized.”

Andrew worried his bottom lip. He had just spend twenty thousand and a hundred dollars on sketches. That made his knees weak. Erin went behind him, to steady him, as Andrew swayed dangerously to the side.

“Well, they are sold. Where you will store them is your problem. But, you made me more money than I expected to see in a year, let alone a day. I will store them for you for a month. However, thereafter, you will have to find a warehouse. Dry one, so the sketches won’t be damaged,” Andrew was going to be sick. That would cost him even more money.

“Andy, get a grip. People are staring,” whispered Erin, and Andrew did his best to school his features.

“Thank you, have a lovely day,” he managed weakly, and then let Erin lead him out of the shop.

“Andy, don’t you have a spell that could open a new dimension or something?” Asked Erin when they were out of the shopping mall. That made Andrew pause. Of course, there were space altering spells. But, he would need a room for that. And their apartment didn’t have a guest room.

“Do you think that Daphne could have a warehouse?” Andrew was grasping at straws by this point.

“Or, you could sell all the sketches in this month,” suggested Erin. “Then, you won’t need to store them anywhere.”

Andrew blinked and then turned around. That was a wonderful idea.

“It is doable,” said Andrew as they entered the shopping mall again. “And I have just the trick to take the photos instantaneously.”    

1