Chapter 48
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Abigail came in the afternoons with a powerful laptop that was made for professional editing. She was a quick study and, so, made a blog for Karl’s store quickly. She got some confidence when it began to generate traffic to the Shopify store and the auction page.

When the thirty days were over, Andrew had five million dollars and was jobless. But, still, Karl had apologized for trying to take his hard-earned money and had told him to not be a stranger.

Andrew knew he would never set foot in the antique shop anymore. Karl had jagged up the prices now that there were more people coming in, and the place had lost its old charm.

That left a hole to be filled in the town. Andrew bought a big building and filled it with cheaper antiques that he would have sold on Shopify, if it wasn’t a need for a cheap antique shop in town.

That made him a competitor to Laura. His things were cheap, but they had a modern look. Andrew had filled his shop with all kinds of old wares from across the world.

Getting a cashier was easy. He had just shown up at the orphanage and offered Hugo, a sixteen-year-old boy, a job. Hugo’s high school major was economics, and he had good memory. From the orphanage, he had also drafted Valarie to handle the shipping. It was all well and good, and he got people coming in town from across the country.

Still, that didn’t mean any fewer customers for Karl and Abigail. The girl was competitive, and she did all the advertising and even got campaigns on Fiverr for the Antique Elegance shop.

Andrew had called his store Jackson and Hudson. He wanted to have Erin involved in all of this. And, even though he didn’t sell Erin’s wares, the store carried his name all the same.

In all the excitement about the selling of the sketches and opening the store, Andrew had had no time to help Erin plan the wedding. And, before he knew it, their grace period was over and Adam Hawk was in their apartment again with a file held in his hands.

“Your next case is a necromancer,” the three looked grim. That was almost above their pay grade. “Francesco Crus was an agent of the office, but his partner died on a hunt, and he caused a curse to fall on a town. We are dealing with that, but, Francesco escaped oversees.”

Daphne pumped her fist high.

“Finally, we are getting international!” She exclaimed and Adam send her a glare.

“This case is a downright mess. Francesco has caused the office to look like a bunch of amateurs to our international colleagues. You are to summon him back here, using magic,” agent Hawk turned to look at Andrew pointedly.

“Yes, but aren’t those types of summoning dangerous?” Asked Andrew, looking confused. After all, the Grimoire had said that there was a big chance that the summoned person could die upon arrival.

“After causing an entire city to be haunted by poltergeists, it was decided that he needed to die,” said Adam, looking grave. “I know for a fact that you will need some preparations. The ritual is done by three people, a wixen, a non-human, and a human. Agent Jackson, I am sure you can fill in your teammates.”

“But, wouldn’t I be asleep for a month after?” Asked Andrew. He wanted to avoid falling in a coma.

“Had there not have been the chance that the necromancer was going to cause mass panic at another place, I wouldn’t have asked it of you, agent Jackson,” assured him Adam, his tone soft. “But time is of the essence.”

“Had someone died?” Asked Erin. He didn’t know what the risks were, exactly, but he wanted to avoid taking them, regardless.

“At least a hundred people in the last twenty-four hours. Some are unconfirmed. So, there could be more,” Daphne placed her hand on Andrew’s shoulder, and he turned to stare into her eyes.

“A hundred in such a small-time frame is a lot, Andy. We have to catch the bad guy. What do we need?” Andrew looked at Erin, who was staring at his hands.

“Andy, I don’t want you to do this, but there is no other choice,” said Erin and Andrew nodded. If everyone agreed that he should take the risk, then, he had to bow his head.

“We need to do it on midnight. We will need a live chicken, a kilogram of silver and virgin blood,” said Andrew, grimacing at the last one. “Animal virgin blood is fine, too.”

“Thank you for your cooperation, agent Jackson,” said Adam, standing up. Andrew nodded, but his mind was elsewhere. A month asleep meant a month with the monsters in his head. And, when he did slip his control during his sleep, he found himself in the meadow each time.

But, there was no other way. People were dying. He couldn’t stand to the side and do nothing.

“Today will be perfect for the ritual,” said the wendigo, standing up. “You will have everything you need in an hour.”

And Adam Hawk left. Andrew watched him. He felt like an organ donor who would die after the donation. But, he stilled himself. He could do it. Keep himself under control and avoid the dark recesses of his mind.

With that thought in mind, he went to the fridge and pulled out an ice cream box. Then, he got two bowls from the cupboard and two spoons.

“Daphne, how do you feel about some ice cream?” Offered Andrew. Daphne shrugged.

“I suppose I can indulge. I will be in a ritual, after all,” Andrew grinned and placed two scoops each of the desert in the bowls.

“Wish I could eat that. Man, I miss eating,” said Erin. Andrew went to the fridge and pulled out a bottle with pig blood.

“Keep us company?” Asked Andrew, hopeful. Erin nodded, and they sat around the table, feeling apprehension for what they were about to do.  

1