Chapter 59
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Without anyone to hack into the agency’s records for another video, the only thing the two could do was to wait for other non-humans to come forward. And they did. There was a wraith in the morning talk show.

At a glance, one could not say there was anything wrong with the girl. She wore a spring dress with lilies and her eyes were human like. But, that only meant she was well-fed. The two stared at the TV, and Andrew was channeling magic into each word the wraith was speaking. Being careful with the girl not to notice.

I didn’t ask to be brought back from the dead. Or to eat only human flesh. I am one of the lucky ones. A hospital director took pity on me, and he lets me eat organs and amputated limbs.

Yes, said the reporter, looking relieved. But what about the rest of your kind?

They, much to my shame and theirs, attack people. The ones like me are few and far between. I think that can change. It is very difficult for a wraith to be created. Not all wixen can accomplish the feat.

You have mentioned that word before. What are the wixen?

The girl made a pause and looked the reporter in the eyes. That made the other woman lean away from the wraith.

Wixen are non-humans. Hags and abominations. There are rumors about a single human wixen, but he must be dead by now. He was an agent for the Office of Supernatural Affairs, and he went in a coma. Then, probably got experimented upon until they found a way to kill him. For future references.

Andrew gulped. People knew of him. He realized then that he could never stop this ruse. He would need to change one illusion for the other. Hiding forever. One thing comforted him, though. If the non-humans considered him to be a martyr, they could rally behind his ideas. He had fought for peace. Surely, they knew that.

Do you know more about this human wixen?

His name is Andrew, I don’t know the last name. He was a catspaw. Killed without thinking. There was this Nosferatu angel called Mark Ulcer. He was also an agent, but he killed his fellow agents to help non-humans get away from the agency. Now he is worthy of respect. Yet, Andrew killed him. I can’t even feel the remnants of Mark’s soul anymore.

So, you are saying that Andrew, the wixen, got what he deserved?

No, no one deserves to fall in the agency’s paws. Still, I hope that he was really in a coma, and it wasn’t just a rumor. For him to have been awake for all that was done to him would have been…monstrous.

Thank you, Dorothy, for your insight on wraiths and non-humans. Our time here is done. But, do you want to say something to the viewers in our last minute?

Don’t consider us to be monsters. Wraiths didn’t have a choice in whatever, we can come back or not. Werewolves are victims who end up the way they are because another of their kind went berserk. And ghouls eat just dead flesh, so, don’t think that they will attack you in the streets.

Andrew noted how Dorothy had not said anything about wixen or vampires or the other variants of the non-humans. But, he supposed, she simply didn’t have the time.

The talk show ended and Andrew turned to Erin.

“That wasn’t so bad. She sounded reasonable,” Erin nodded. They needed such fronts for what they were doing. Not riots.

“But, she will end up in a lab straight after she leaves the studio. Mark my words,” Andrew smiled mischievously.

“She won’t. As soon as she leaves, I am turning her invisible,” Erin chuckled at that.

“There are agents probably waiting for her. And they will be looking for that trick,” said Erin, and Andrew smiled wider.

“They will be too busy being mobbed. I sensed them while Dorothy spoke and got a crowd to surround them,” the soap opera that had started while they were talking was interrupted by a news report.

This morning, a fine wraith came forward to pull the veil off our eyes about her kind. She didn’t attack anyone and was well-mannered. Yet, before our studio, were agents of the dreaded Office of Supernatural Affairs.

Within minutes, a crowd formed around them, blocking their way to the door of the building. Dorothy turned invisible just as she exited our building, but the crowd didn’t let the agents move. Police were called and I, for one, hope they are coming for the agents.

Where is the right of every citizen of our nation to a lawyer? To a fair trial? Why is Miss Dorothy not given either of these things? Yes, the riots last week were bad. But, are they not the result of centuries of oppression? One that has gone unnoticed by us, humans, for as long as it was being forced upon the non-humans? Karl…

“They are going to notice that there is a sorcerer working behind the scenes,” warned Erin as Andrew was smiling triumphantly.

“I need to take risks too. After all, those who come forward have to be protected,” countered Andrew. He took the remote and began switching the channels in the hopes he could find another talk show.

“They still have wixen in their employee,” continued Erin, looking worried. “And even a beginner vampire can track you.”

“They think I am afraid and, on the run,” said Andrew as he finally found a talk show. The man in the guest seat had yellow eyes. “A wendigo?”

“Could be,” said Erin. There were many non-humans with yellow eyes. And this one had a few key differences from Adam. He had more meat on his bones. Wasn’t as tall. And, above all, looked quite young.

I am a changeling, and you will never see this face again. I will walk out with the face of one of you and discard it when I am far enough away. My story starts…      

2