The beyond
1.4k 4 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I woke up, I was in a totally white place with no one around me I tried to scream to try to call the attention of any presence in this strange place, but to my surprise no sound came out of my mouth, not only that, but I realized that I couldn't hear, smell or feel anything, none of my senses seemed to work.

 

I tried to remember how I had ended up in this situation only to realize that I didn't remember anything, I didn't know who I was or what I was doing before I got here, I was getting desperate not being able to remember anything about me so I started walking, I walked and walked for a long time, but all I could find was still nothingness until I realized that in the distance I could see the silhouette of another person I tried to get his attention as I could, but there was no success. The silhouette suddenly disappeared and the next moment it appeared behind my back and touched my shoulder, that took me by surprise so I got scared and gave a scream, at that moment I realized that I could talk again, when I looked at the silhouette I actually saw that it had a large size almost twice mine and the strangest thing is that it had no features it was totally smooth it had no eyes, I didn't know what to do but it hadn't attacked me so I thought it didn't want to hurt me so with a little fear I opened my mouth and with a trembling voice I tried to talk to the creature.

 

"h-hello where am I?"

 

The creature opened its mouth showing there was nothing inside no teeth or tongue, but still it spoke in a language I could not understand "%#$@×€$%&#&#$&#" I was very confused and you could see it on my face, the creature seemed to realize I could not understand it so I saw it reach out its hand and grabbed its throat and squeezed it, noises were heard as if it was breaking a glass then it opened its mouth again and spoke

 

"Now you should be able to understand me mortal soul, sometimes I forget that lower creatures cannot understand the language of the gods."

 

"Answering your question, you are dead and this place is where souls come to be reviewed and then reincarnated, although it seems that you are alone, here there are infinite of these spaces where more souls are being judged at the same time."

 

Hearing this I started to tremble, as I had a slight suspicion that this could be the case, but having suspicions and being told directly is very different, I had a lot of questions to ask him and I didn't hold back I blurted out all the doubts I had.

"How did I die, who was I, what does it mean that you are going to check my soul, and who or what are you?"

 

I said all the doubts I could think of at that moment, I could see the creature's face tighten as if it was trying to frown, but having no facial features it just scrunched up its face, it looked like it was annoyed, but it still opened its mouth and answered my questions.

 

"You died by being crushed by a building during an earthquake and you were a normal person with nothing special, just another speck of dust over time destined to perish without making any impression, reviewing your soul means we will search your soul memories and depending on what we can find you will be assigned a new life and to answer your last question you can see me as a kind of guide and worker of the god of reincarnation" the last part he said it without encouragement almost with a hint of hatred.

 

After hearing this I felt strange, how would you feel if you were told that you are someone normal just another drops in an endless sea of beings destined to be forgotten by the sands of time, I was silent for a while digesting what this self-named guide had told me, after thinking about it I felt I no longer wanted to be here and I think the guide was starting to get impatient so I said.

 

 "I think I understand the situation a little, I think I should stop wasting your time and have you start checking on my soul."

 

"I see you at least understand that someone as divine as me should not waste time with mortal souls like you, let's get started then "

 

Just when he finished speaking a light joined the guide's body with my soul, I felt that my whole soul was observed and a strange pressure numbed my mind, this lasted a few seconds until a sheet appeared in the guide's hands, he started to read the sheet with his non-existent eyes and a while later he turned his face towards me put a chilling smile and said "wow this is strange" I felt a little worried because of that smile of his but I couldn't do anything so I just waited for him to continue talking.

"it seems that your soul has a defect, a deformity so I have to leave you here in this space for a while until that gets fixed, although it may take a while" I felt very puzzled I wanted him to explain what he meant by that, but he just gave me another creepy smile before disappearing, I tried to scream for him to come back, but I realized that he couldn't talk again. I thought he would come back sooner or later so I stayed in that place waiting for him to come back.

 

 

What I think was 3 weeks went by as I was counting the time in my head since the guide left to keep me sane, during this time I realized that no matter what I do there is no way out of this space, I am going to start walking is the only thing I can do for now.

 

It's been 10 years since the guide left every day that passes, I feel my sanity is shrinking a little more, I have had many suicidal thoughts, but they are just thoughts since I can't hurt myself, I think I'm going to stop walking and just go to bed until something changes....

 

I don't know how much time passed since I went to bed, I stopped counting after 100 years passed, I think, during all this time I just lay on the floor and did nothing recently I started to feel a tingling in my body, but I think it's just my imagination it's impossible that in this space I can feel something.

For some reason I regained my senses at first, I thought the guide had returned, but he was nowhere to be found, now that I regained my senses, I was feeling better as I could speak and hear sounds coming out of my mouth for the first time in a long time, regaining my senses gave me hope again to search maybe I could find something this time.

 

My assumptions were correct I found something after walking for a few days, it was a fountain when I got closer I saw that there was a liquid almost transparent but with blinking lights, I was thinking for a while about what I should do until I decided that I was going to touch it anyway I had nothing to do and if I died I would finally be free of this space, when I touched the liquid one of these lights shot out of the fountain and fell next to me and stayed there without doing anything I tried to touch the fountain again to try if something happened but nothing happened I wasn't even able to approach the fountain again because an invisible force didn't let me reach it, so I better approach the light that had been shot before and when I touched it, it transformed into a person, it was an old man, he seemed to be about 80 years old, he was wearing a monk's robe, he was nailed, his eyes were closed and he had a white beard that reached his chest, this surprised me a lot since it was the first soul I had seen since the guide left, he turned his head towards me and spoke with a hoarse voice

 

"Young man it is not polite to stare at someone, you should introduce yourself when you wake up a soul."

 

With a start I answered "Excuse me sir I didn't know I was sleeping nor what this place was, my name is.... well, you can't call me whatever you like"

 

"Hum I see I'm going to call you young soul so as not to complicate things and you can call me Arnold, now tell me what are you doing around here how did you get to this place?"

 

"Well, I died or so I was told and they have left me wandering around here for a long time due to my soul having a deformity and I had to wait until it was fixed."

 

"So that's the case I see, listen young soul this place is the fountain of Farnar where souls that have lived a great amount of time and has exceptional achievements come to leave their knowledge, what you are witnessing is not a real soul but a sort of clone left by my original soul"

So, the fountain is a kind of library where important people leave their legacy, but he said he was a soul clone that means that his real self-came here without dying and may even still be alive, maybe there is a way out of this place....

 

While I was in my ramblings I heard as if someone was clearing their throat, I turned around and realized that I had not been listening to what Arnold was saying and he was trying to get my attention, so I left my thoughts for later and listened to what he had to say.

 

"Well young soul what are you going to do?"

 

"Do about what?"

 

"This fountain is supposed to hold knowledge to pass on to those who come here so I ask you do you want to learn?"

 

When I heard this, I thought about it for a moment before replying "Sure why not".

 

"Excellent!!!, now let's not waste any more time see what I do and repeat I will guide you in mastery of the weapons"

 

Ten years passed from that moment apparently Arnold was a master of weapons a person who could use all weapons without any problem and with an exceptional mastery, he was teaching me creating weapons from his soul these when they hit me produced a huge pain since being made of his own soul could damage the soul of others.

 

The first thing he taught me was to create weapons with my own soul, when I learned to create my own weapons we started with simulated combats that lasted all the time we only stopped when he had to explain me movements with the weapon or to correct me when I did not follow his orders, I also learned things about my condition apparently souls with deformities are left here for this space to correct them with time but what surprised me about this is that usually souls take only 1 year to be fixed? One year! shit I have spent hundreds of years here and they still don't seem to have plans to reincarnate me that means that neither deformity has healed yet, Arnold didn't know why this happened.

 

One day during training we were constantly changing weapons Arnold was fighting with a scythe spinning and hitting me with the handle trying to knock me to the ground, I had a spear, I was jumping back and forth evading his attacks trying to hit him with the blunt part of the spear.

 

Suddenly Arnold jumped and transformed the scythe into a sword and with all his strength made a vertical cut towards me, I with everything I had learned changed to a shield and curved sword with the shield I deflected the sword with great difficulty and with the sword I cut towards him, I stopped at the moment when the sword touched his neck without hurting him, he also stopped he disappeared his weapon and said "Here ends my knowledge you have defeated me there is nothing more I can teach you."

 

"Lord Arnold thank you for teaching me but what should I do now I can't reincarnate until I am healed."

 

"When we met young soul, I told you that in Farnar's fountain the knowledge of many people was kept that means that there are not only mine there are many more things to learn here but you can only summon one soul at a time that's why when I disappear you can summon again another soul to teach you"

 

When he just said that he disappeared I felt a little sad as it was the first time I had company in a long time, I stood contemplating the fountain for a while until I decided that I would learn as much as I could from the souls here until I could leave.

 

 

32