What the hell happened?
742 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a sunny summer day and the sun had already reached its peak in the sky people were walking through the streets being careful not to suffer from heatstroke but among all that crowd of people few humans could be seen even being the rush hour the number of humans passing through the busy square could be counted on the fingers of one hand and the other beings that were around them mostly half beasts looked at them as if they were strange creatures.

 

"Mommy, Mommy what kind of breed are those? They have no fur, no tails or any trace of scales they are very strange" (Girl).

 

"Oh, daughter it is not polite to point fingers at others," said the girl's mother following with her gaze to where her daughter was pointing seeing that her daughter was pointing towards a human.

 

"It is not very common to see them nowadays daughter those beings are commonly known as humans a long time ago they were one of the most common species in the world, but now there are very few left and they are considered to be on the verge of extinction that is why they seem strange to you daughter" (Mother).

 

"Mother how is it possible that a species like that is now on the verge of extinction, that's very sad" (Girl)

 

"You shouldn't worry about that daughter it happened a few years ago and we haven't heard of similar events better go home quickly before the sun gets to you" (Mother).

 


 

The sun had already set 3 hours ago and Fernando, a simple construction worker, was on his way home totally drunk due to a meeting with his coworkers. Fernando was a 35-year-old man who could not use spiritual energy and because he was a refugee, he could not get a better job than the one he had, he lived in the suburbs of the city in the poorest part of the city, barely enough to live day to day, his life has been going downhill since that fateful day 10 years ago.

 

He was a few blocks from home but the dizziness and nausea no longer allowed him to walk so he lay down next to a wall in an alley waiting for his condition to improve, every so often he would fall asleep only to wake up again a few minutes later to the sound of rats hitting the trash cans, In his head, he remembered how it was when his family was alive as his wife and two children greeted him when he got home, He remembered how they were not a perfect family but they were happy, he remembered how his heart was filled with happiness and warmth when his son told him how he had done in school and he remembered when he saw his family being torn apart by abyssals while he could do nothing but watch and when he thought it was his time and he could be with his family in the afterlife he was rescued while he realized he had lost everything he had…

 

He regained consciousness and realized that he was still in the cold and lonely alley, He tried to get up but he slipped and ended up lying on the floor without the strength to get up again. He was sure that the alley would be his bed for the night but the sound of footsteps brought him out of his ramblings Fernando thought that someone had come to help him, that someone had taken pity on him and he felt how they grabbed him by the back of his jacket and lifted him, With the help of the stranger he got up and managed to stand up, as his back was turned to the person who helped him, he turned around trying to express his gratitude to the stranger.

 

"Thank you very much for helping me to get up..." (Fernando).

 

Unfortunately, Fernando could not finish his sentence he felt the blood accumulating in his throat preventing him from pronouncing any sound besides unpleasant gurgling, he looked down seeing that a black and grotesque arm had pierced his chest, that was his last memory before dying.

 

The creature pulled out the arm it had inside Fernando, made sure he was already dead, and walked away as if nothing had happened.

 


 

In an office full of papers a man was pacing back and forth in the room, his nervousness was noticeable in the pounding of his hooves on the floor as he belonged to one of the proudest races of the continent the centaurs, the man had gray hair and a beard that showed that his best years were long gone, the centaur known as Orades was very worried because another human had died in his country and not only in his country in many places humans were killed, decreasing their number as time went by, he was trying to remember how all this had started but his memory is not like it used to be before.

 

"Mr. Orades you shouldn't worry about those things they are just humans they are not even our species why does it bother you so much?" (???).

"Ahhhhhhhh... Caleus you don't understand, humans were a species that was considered one of the strongest and most numerous a few years ago, but now they are on the verge of extinction that's not natural only a few of us know what happened" (Orades)

 

"Sir what is there to know they could not follow the course of nature they became weak and were eliminated by the strong resigning themselves to reduce their numbers trying to be less in quantity but stronger individually but it did not work crippling their offspring making it impossible for them to use spiritual energy" (Caleus).

 

"Caleus what I am going to tell you now is only because you are the one who will replace me in the future, but you must not tell anyone I am counting on you" (Orades).

 

"Yes, sir you can always count on me" (Caleus).

 

"Okay, then how was it, let me remember, ready you see 10 years ago there was a country called Reglor this country was mostly made up of humans, it was one of the most advanced countries in its time its technology had no equal and most of its spiritual energy users were very powerful but everything started to change that day 10 years ago since in all its territory cracks started to open, the biggest we had seen until that moment and the abyssals that came out of these killed and destroyed everything they found during this event 2 very revealing events were recorded, the first was that the corrupted of the abyss kidnapped human beings to create more like them and these were generally children and the second event was the discovery that the cracks could self-destruct and that depending on their size would generate more energy so the area where that country was now just a desert without the possibility of maintaining life and with abyssals walking everywhere" (Orades).

 

"I already know that sir, it is common knowledge how the country of Reglor was destroyed, that's why machines were created that can store the energy of the cracks to avoid its destruction" (Caleus).

 

"But what you must not know is that all that destruction was not by chance, a few years later we realized that the corrupted had leaders who planned all that to exterminate the human race, and what happened later with the humans was also planned by those leaders or did you think that a race with their intelligence could be so stupid to harm themselves so much so that their children could not use spiritual energy" (Orades)

 

"I-I don't know what to say sir" (Caleus).

 

"We discovered that these leaders started an indiscriminate hunt against the human race, sending abysmal and corrupted all over the world to search and stalk humans, they also released a curse that only affected humans causing a low birth rate and making their offspring very weak and unable to use spiritual energy, now you understand why I am so worried that the few humans left will be killed what they are doing to them could be done to any race and we need to understand why of all races the humans were condemned to such a disgrace"

 

Caleus no longer answered again what he had just been told was something that contradicted everything he knew and could come to affect him in the future, they both did not know how to continue the conversation so they decided to stop talking about it and go to their homes to rest as most likely the next few days would be very busy.

 


 

In the desert that was once known as the country of Reglor the temperatures during the day could reach more than 150 degrees Fahrenheit and during the night at 25 degrees Fahrenheit, here there are dunes as big as mountains and you cannot see animals or plants in all its extension the only thing you can observe are the abyssals that come out of their nests when they feel the presence of any living being.

 

In a certain area of this great desert a sinking of sand could be observed that lasted a few minutes, after this strange event nothing happened for the rest of the night, 2 days after this phenomenon occurred something changed in the area the sand began to move little by little sinking a little more but only in a small space after a few minutes the sand stopped and from this a child of no more than 10 years old began to emerge, when he came out completely from the sand, the child remained motionless watching the beautiful night sky for a few minutes, an abyssal in the shape of a 10 meter caterpillar that detected the child approached from under the sand trying to kill the child in front of him when he was close enough he jumped out of the sand with his mouth open trying to swallow the child in one bite but the child only moved with light steps backwards elegantly avoiding the abyssal, The abyssal realizing that it had not devoured the boy jumped back to the boy but from the boy's hands appeared a sword that he used to divide the abyssal in half, the boy moved the sword that he had created and it disappeared, he kept looking at the corpse of the abyssal until he pronounced the first words he could in a long time.

 

"Where the fuck am I?" (Noah).

 

21