Prologue
3.9k 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Catmeme6's Notes:  

TThe Author wrote this story based on a Chinese family in New York.  Therefore you will find that the Author mentioned a few families and characters with Western names.  

Luo Anhai's mother was a Westerner and her father is Chinese.

Note:  This story is marked 'Mature' and is only meant for readers who are 21+.  Please exercise discretion.

***#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#***  

Title:  Can I love you once more? - 可不可以再愛妳

Author:  Yuan Yuan  元媛

Chapters:  Prologue + 10 Chapters

***#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#***

         Luo Anhai never thought that one day she would witness her own funeral. 

         The last she remembered was, she was on the plane, flying to the UK for a business collaboration meeting.  As long as she succeeds, the company directors would definitely be standing on her side, and the position of President Luo would definitely be hers. 

         She had absolute confidence, she knew she would win but then who would have known that at the last hurdle, she would encounter a plane crash. 

         In the last moments before her death, she wanted to cry and laugh.  She had worked hard for the last decade and had finally reached her goal but only to fail, at the last moment. 

         She had struggled for so long, desperately holding on firmly to her status in the Luo Family, desperately holding on to everything, not letting anyone take away what should actually belong to her……especially that mother and son! 

         She swore that she would not let the mother and child live a better life nor would she allow them to take advantage of her.  But at the last moment when she was about to succeed, she perished in a plane crash. 

        She was discontented.  In that moment of the crash, Luo Anhai's heart was full of dissatisfaction and grievances. 

        Then, once she regained consciousness, she found herself floating in the air.  On the ground, her funeral was in progress. 

         She looked at her father trembling, standing by her grave, his head full of white hair, his face haggard and old ... ... Luo Anhai was shocked.

        She had not really looked at her father for a long time and did not realize he had grown so much older.

        Ever since he had brought his mistress and her son home, their father-daughter relationship had deteriorated.  She no longer greeted her father.  She did everything against him, always behaving in an unruly manner and made everyone unhappy.   She was happy to see everyone angry and embarrassed because she wanted to get back at them for mistreating her own Mother.            

          Her mother had only loved this man and knowing that this man married her for her money, she still had no regrets.  She dedicated herself to him and finally, she had to live her life in loneliness and depression to the very end.   
         

          Anhai actually felt grief and frustration when her father married the woman in less than three months after her own mother died!  No, it should be, when her mother was still alive, they have been having an affair.  Her father had wanted a divorce but her mother had obstinately refused.   

          Finally, her father chose to leave home and lived with the mother and son.  In the face of her father's heartlessness, her mother grieved for him.  Her body grew weaker day by day and at last eventually, she died at a young age. 

          It was that woman's fault!    

         Luo Anhai stared at her father's woman with resentment.  She looked at the woman putting on a sad look and she disdainfully scoffed with eyes full of ridicule.     She did not believe the woman's sad look was genuine and only felt the woman was hypocritical!     Luo Anhai had always been cynical towards that woman.  As long as she sees that woman's face, she would be full of hatred because she had always felt that woman's happiness was exchanged with her mother's misfortune!  

         The ordinary woman was simply not comparable with her mother, regardless of family background or appearance.  But her father only loved that woman, even though that woman had married and even had a child.  Her father had always kept that woman in his heart and as a result, neglected her mother.  After marrying that woman, her father even treated her son better than his own daughter. 

          Under the same roof, they were a happy family of three……while she was an outsider.

          Although she was the one with the surname Luo, her father had nurtured the woman's son with the intention of giving him the Luo Corporation.   Luo Anhai's eyes moved to the tall man wearing a black suit with an expressionless face……calm almost cold.  Luo Anhai sneered.  

            Why come to the funeral?   Really hypocritical, she is already dead!     Her hands clenched into fists hung by the side as she stared at the man's figure with her eyes full of resentment and indignation.  But what can she do?  She is now just a wisp of spirit, unable to do anything ...... Luo Anhai closed her eyes with resentment and her hands trembled.   

          After the funeral, she did not know where to go and instinctively followed her three "relatives" home, then felt that her behavior was ridiculous……

           Is this still her home?  It is not. 

          Ever since her mother died and when that mother and son came into her home, this was no longer her home.

          But she insisted to stay on here, even if she would see that hateful mother and child because this was once, her and her mother's home.    

          Luo Anhai opened her empty eyes, silently floating.  She was home, but no one could see her.  In the night, the huge house was silent with only her.     Where should she go?  Where is her home?     She slowly drifted into her room and saw someone inside.     She was shocked to see the man sitting on her bed.  His fingers were caressing the picture frame on the bed, with the photo of her.  In the photo, her chin was tilted, looking arrogant, with a proud and brilliant smile on her face.     What is he doing in her room?     She had just died and he already wanted to clear out her room?    

          Luo Anhai clenched her fists, bitterly watched the man, waiting for his next action.     But she waited for a long time, the man still maintained the same action, with eyes fixed on the photo, until it was dawn.  Finally, the man got up and left the room.    

           Luo Anhai frowned, did not know what the man wanted to do.  But she thought, the man must harbor bad intentions and she waited to see how he was going to deal with her belongings

           She looked at the man sitting in the position of President of Luo Corporation.

           Looking at the man getting older. 

           Looking at the man holding Luo Corporation in the palms of his hands.

          She looked at the man who always went into her room in the quiet of the night, and sat silently in the room throughout the night.   She did not understand why he did not clear her room but kept all her things intact.  The room was maintained, untouched, the way it was before she died.    

           Luo Anhai was puzzled, but she unable to ask and full of doubt, she could only silently watched. 

           She stayed by the man's side and saw that every year on her birthday, he would bring a small cake into her room.  He would watch the candle on the cake melt until it was extinguished and she would see the man lightly stroked the picture frame before leaving the room.    

           She watched him like this……year after year……. 

          The hatred that she felt in her heart turned into suspicion, then to doubts, and finally into deep puzzlement.  It turned into a habit as she kept watching.   Watching her father and that woman died, watching the man personally sent them off and then watched him looking at the huge house with only one person remaining…..    Why didn’t he take a wife?    

          As President of Luo Corporation, many women would have fought to marry him, but he was always cold towards women and not even a little scandal was heard.    Luo Anhai looked at the man.  He was indifferent and always lonely……

         When he was home, he would always be found in her room, always looking at her picture in her room.  His eyes are always indifferent, deep and dark.  She was unable to fathom what he was thinking and so her heart was filled with depression and irritation.    

 

          One year, he adopted a boy, raised him up, taught the boy everything, and then one day he suddenly fainted.    

          She heard the doctor said it was lung cancer. In addition, the man was suffering from malnutrition, gastric ulcer symptoms, and even had overworked.  If the man did not rest properly, the condition would become more serious.    

          Luo Anhai stared at the calm look of the man.  That calmness was abnormal without a trace of panic as if he had expected all of this.  It looked as if he has been waiting for this moment to come.  The idea made ​​Luo Anhai's heart inexplicably tightened as she watched the man's eyes flickered.    

         She thought of the man's serious condition.  The little amount of food the man took and his three meals a day that was irregular.   The tall and straight stature that gradually grew thinner, the man that always woke up in the middle of the night and sat in her room with wide-open eyes until dawn.   Watching the man's dull almost lonely eyes, Luo Anhai's hands unconsciously clenched and faintly trembled. 

         Disregarding all doctors' advice, the man insisted on going home.  He did not want to stay in the hospital refusing any form of surgery and chemotherapy.    He just wanted to stay in her room, to sit on her bed, and then quietly stare at her photo……and she just looked at him quietly.  

          Finally, she watched his funeral with her own eyes……he was finally buried next to her. 

          She drifted to his tomb.  Her transparent hand gently stretched out to touch the photo on the tombstone but paused just before touching it.  With complex eyes, she stared at the man's photo.  Finally, she moved her fingers forward to gently stroke the man's beautiful facial features.  

         She thought of his hands that were still holding the old frame, the photo frame with her photo just before he drew his last breath. When he closed his eyes, the chilled lips held a slight smile, and at that time she seemed to hear him whispered out a name.     Anhai……… 

           "Fool…..."    

          Tears silently fell.  The resentment and indignation that she once felt, unknowingly had disappeared……only the unspeakable depression and pain remained.

          It really hurts!

          Luo Anhai with trembling fingers clutched her chest with force.  She did not know why her heart still hurts when she was already dead.

          *Pa*…..her transparent tears fell onto the ground……..her transparent figure slowly disappeared and finally only a hoarse low cry was heard.

          Fool !…….

6