Ch.4 No, Not Quiet Yet
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The player donning the #10 stood proudly near the centerline as his team defended against their opponents. Despite his team being down a goal, his expression remained impassive.

A quick glance to his left and right assured him that his two bodyguards were still diligently performing their assignment.

The tall youth ran a hand through his messy hair, lamenting its length and making a mental note to get it cut the following day. However, any further thoughts were interrupted by the sudden increase in cheering.

The #10 saw the #6, Jake? John? Jordan? Whoever it was, they were making a half-decent run on the right flank. It took the #10 a second to come to a decision. He dropped back a few meters and asked for a pass at his feet.

The #6, now facing pressure from the opposing right-back, sent an accurate but much too powerful pass. While his pass was par at best, his following actions were excellent. When the right-back turned to see the driven pass, the #6 continued sprinting down the flank.

Receiving the poor pass, the #10 clicked his tongue but still effortlessly trapped the ball. Using his absurd spatial awareness, he flicked the ball between the legs of one of his defenders while making a half-spin to avoid a collision. With incredible timing, he sent a lifted curling through pass that allowed the #6 to maintain his pace.

Like a bullet from a rifle, the #10 dashed towards the goal. As he ate up yards, he noticed that the #6's pace was dropping, so he was consequently forced to slow down, which allowed the opposing defenders to catch up, greatly complicating the situation.

Without delay, the #10 called for a cross just as he entered the penalty box. He hoped that it would be near the center to simplify his task, but naturally, it went to the near post of the keeper's box.

The #10 cut towards the ball, and the world seemed to slow from the moment the ball entered his sphere of influence.

With a delicate touch, the #10 converted most of the ball's momentum and used what remained to flick it over his' and the defender's heads. However, this time the defender that was just nutmegged was alert and stepped back to stop the play. But to the shock of everyone, the ball landed on the ground and took a sharp turn towards the goal. At the near-dead angle, the #10's kick was akin to lighting, and he sent the ball into the back of the net. The prodigious #10 had converted most of the entry force of the ball into heavy side spin and had scored a goal off of it.

From opponents to teammates, everyone in the stadium was shocked. Even if they saw it with their own two eyes, wasn't this something that would only work in video games or by complete accident? Why was the person who did it so aloof? However, the fans and the goal-scorer's teammates quickly recovered, and the stadium exploded with cheers.

The ever bored forward leisurely jogged towards the centerline. On the back of his jersey was the #10, and above it, the name West.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

'Ryu-chan isn't thinking about anything else. He's focusing on the game!'

"Go, Yuuto!!"

'He's only thinking about winning."

"Send a cross!"

'I'm going to change too! Ryu-chan!"

Yuuto's cross was interrupted by a defender, but it still managed to reach Ryuu. He flicked the ball behind and performed a half-spin to catch up with a deft touch. Unfortunately, while his move was flawless, his 2nd-touch was mediocre. He could only manage a half-assed shot that the keeper caught with some difficulty.

"Damn."

Ryuu's eyebrows were tightly knit as he let out a curse before jogging back.

- - -

{Close. He mistimed his steps when lining up the shot. In his case, it's not just a 2-year blank. During that period, his body grew. There's a mismatch between his senses and his body. He's going to need to adjust, or he'll keep wasting opportunities.}

"I bet you didn't say anything good."

Yuki couldn't help but give Anna's grandfather the stink eye.

"You can tell?"

"Of course, I can't."

Yuki responded to Anna's inquiry with a miffed expression. She didn't need to speak the language to faintly guess what the older man was saying.

{However, the boy already knows what he needs to do. Since he chose that position for his debut game after recovering.…}

- - -

Time continued forward, and Ooura East was desperately looking for a goal. Finally, with 5 minutes remaining, Yuuto managed to grab a steal and made a run along the flank again.

The entire crowd was amazed by the monstrous stamina of the #6.

'Until Ryu-chan scores… I'll keep running!"

Once Yuuto left his defender, he saw that Ryuu was already in the box, and right when they made eye contact, the latter effortlessly lost his mark.

Without ceremony, Yuuto sent an excellent cross towards the center, and Ryuu was already racing towards it.

'It's a good cross. The best one all game. I'll retire right here if I can't score from this.'

As Ryuu lunged for the cross, he felt his shirt being fiercely pulled. The thought of baiting a penalty never crossed his mind. Instead, he focused on the ball, and for a split second, the world slowed down.

With a sharp kick, Ryuu volleyed the ball and sent it whizzing past the keeper, who was left speechless. After catching himself as he fell, Ryuu looked at the ball with a stoic expression, but eventually, a smile graced his lips.

'Nothing special, but it's a start.'

When he dusted off his clothes and looked up for the first time, he noticed his friends and family in the stands. Seeing their teary-eyed expressions, Ryuu felt an unexplainable warm feeling in his heart.

- - -

"Amazing! Ryu-chan is amazing!"

As the twin's father cheered with misty eyes, their mother comforted Ryuu's mom.

"Mari-san…congratulations."

Mari, for her part, could only sob as she remembered her son's previously battered state and was just happy that he was back doing what he loved.

- - -

"See Anna-chan! Did you see!!! This is Ryu-chan!"

Yuki couldn't suppress her tears or excitement as she cried with a smile on her face.

"Is that really okay?"

Anna remembered how graceful Ryuu had been and compared him to his current state. While it wasn't night and day, there was a noticeable drop in elegance.

{That goal isn't like him at all...Right, Grandpa!}

{Yeah. Though it seems he's retained a sliver of his ball sense, this is currently the best he can do. However, Anna… it's not like he's lost everything.}

{Huh?}

{The timing of when his mark looked away, his understanding of where the ball will go while in play, he is still gifted with soccer sense. That's why he's challenging the center forward position, where he can fight with one touch. He's not looking at what he lost; instead, he's fighting with what he has.}

{Still…}

- - -

"It's as if he never had a 2-year blank! Miyazaki, Ichijyou is still amazing!"

"…"

Meanwhile, Yuuto ran up to Ryuu with chicken-poop tears in his eyes.

"You did it! You did it! You did it! Ryu-chan!"

However, Ryuu dodged Yuuto and jogged toward the centerline.

"Ryu-chan? Hey, Ryu."

"We still have time, Yuuto, just under 3 minutes according to the clock."

Ryu's serious face turned towards Yuki, but the latter noticed the faint smile dancing on his best friend's lips, making him smile.

"Let's score another and win, Yuuto!"

0