Arc V: Epilogue
2.2k 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tsuko sank into the soft depth of her Princess-Sized bed, wearing a T-shirt pajama that reached down to her bare thighs. Her favorite snow white thigh-high socks fitted comfortably around her slender legs. Despite being the late sunny afternoon, the Princess had already retired to Pixiu Cat Dorm and relaxing at the maximum level of laziness.

"I can't believe this is the epitome of my university experience."

The Shui Princess hugged tightly onto her favorite polar bear plushie, a precious present from big sis Tsundere. Resting her chin on its white-soft head, she scrolled downward on her AI. Multiple social media posts about local restaurants and famous bakeries mildly captured her interest.

A post about fluffy pancakes from the Culinary Arts Club. Another about a cafe where customers could pet and feed the cute cats lounging around. Plenty more displaying strangers doing fun things with their friend groups such as drinking afternoon tea, playing at the local arcade, shopping in Bellevue Mall and so on.

"I should be doing something."

Tsuko let out a loud, unrefined yawn as she thought about today. 

Aqua and Mana had asked her to explore Downtown District this weekend. Declining the offer with a polite smile, she told the two girls next time. Similarly, she had rejected acquaintances from the F3 class for a karaoke night and D1 class to explore the Adventurer's Guild.

Not counting the additional three special invitations this weekend, Tsuko's heart lurched out an inner sigh. Her status as the Shui Princess was, unfortunately, becoming more public. She even received random messages from the upper class for coffee, even as far as asking to go on a date.

This was a personal matter she will have to deal with in the future.

"Clubs, activities, local gatherings. I guess big sis Tsunami really meant what she said about saying no to people."

Work first, relax later. 

As the youngest descendant of the Shui Dynasty, that was how a proper royalty should act. A mentality she must hold on during her five-year stay here. Even if this was the first time being countries away from home, self-discipline was always constant. After all, she must follow the footsteps of her talented elder sisters.

"I wonder how the business meeting will turn out tomorrow."

Tsuko always mentally prepared the day before, as some have tried to take advantage in past negotiations due to her youthful appearance. The Capital of Libertea seemed like an unrelenting area. She would not be surprised if business owners acted purely from a profit perspective.

"Aaaaaa... I wish I could live a normal student life."

Tsuko fell back and landed softly on the feathery pillow. She glanced at the plentiful plushies ranging from Wilder Gryffin to Fatty Alpaca that rested near her head like sleepy guardians. Most were gifts from past suitors, long forgotten as they remained blurry silhouettes in her mind.

"It's nice that people here are different. Maybe, I might even find my soulmate here... Hehe."

She giggled and thought about the F4 class, becoming friendlier with Aqua after the Group Simulation Battle. Through the village girl, the Princess was acquainted with the Platinum-tier adventurer and together, forming a small group she now ate lunch with.

As for Jan, it was a complicated relationship between acquaintance and friendship. While she would never be with him one-on-one due to their differences, Tsuko would gladly join Ness and Shen for something casual. Of course, she would invite her new friends and Shino, who became the star of F4 class through her exceptional talent in using the Modern Weapons.

Despite remaining distanced, Shino changed. The reticent girl started listening to their conversation and even spoked in one-word statements. A complete shock when she responded a yes to liking pancakes during a discussion on favorite food.

But there was Onii.

Thinking back to the starry night of the banquet, Tsuko did not regret her irrational decision. An irony as her first invite was towards a strange swordsman in a magic university. At the very least, the two had become more acquainted through the Battle of the Simulation and she could slightly understand his thought process. Although his random wording brought confusion, his confidence and skills brought overall mirth to her heart.

"I wonder why is it so hard for me to know him..." Her legs swayed up and down at the edge of her bed. "But then again, I am the only one that tries to converse with him."

An air of secret constantly enveloped his presence. Like a curious firefly attracted to a mysterious light, Tsuko found herself unexpectedly thinking about him more than she should.

"You better not forget about our promise. Ah, I'll actually be so sad if he did."

Onii did not speak to her today after class. Nor yesterday. Nor the day before. The anticipation inside Tsuko was brewing into a mild irritation. Perhaps, he had forgotten about it. Onii did seem like the person to focus only on the things he was interested in.

"Maybe he isn't interested in being friends with a royalty...?"

Tsuko sighed deeply and continued to mumble towards herself. Talking out loud always helped brought clarity to her inner struggles.

According to Aqua, the swordsman stepped out as soon as the class bell rang and was headed towards Doctor Lirin's office. This was the fifth time this week. Like the girls, Tsuko was surprised, never expected him to be a teacher's pet.

But then again, he did graduate from the famous Dojo with a rumored Grandmaster's personal recommendation. If a modern hero had offered his approval, then this meant Onii had something special. Perhaps he opened up to only a few people he deemed worthy in his life.

That lifestyle was quite admirable.

To pursue his goals without being constrained by trivial things.

To live the school life he wanted, however he desired.

And above all, to not give an absolute fuck about what other people thought of him.

"Maybe I can learn a few things from him."

Onii's personality indicated he was not a shallow person. He spoke from the bottom of his heart, showing no concern towards opinions and perceptions. Out of the everyone Tsuko had met in the past, he was the most authentic.

True to his feeling and actions.

Tsuko admired that part about him, even if his personality may be a bit strange. 

If only. If only she could wield that courage as the People's Princess. If only pronouncing her true feelings was not such an anxiety-provoking challenge, then the future she envisioned would be much closer to reality.

Maybe one day, Father will finally know about her dream.

"Ah~ what am I kidding? There's no way someone like me can ever live a life of freedom."

A subtle vibration on her lap.

Tsuko glanced down and saw a notification. She had to wipe her eyes twice to confirm the sender's name.

"Speak of the swordsman, better late than never."

A soft smile naturally blossomed on Tsuko's cheeks. As her heart fluttered for some unknown reason, the Princess started to roll around the bed like a baguette. Was it excitement? Was it relief? After several seconds, she stood up, took multiple deep breaths and composed herself.

"Having an afternoon dessert could be a nice breather."

It was time to pick her public disguise. Tsuko approached the wardrobe that was customized by the finest artisan to fit the Pixiu Cat's wall. An innumerable amount of the finest outfits and accessories were neatly organized, ranging from her preference of professional to sleepwear. 

Logyn was nominated to be the C1 class representative so he had to stay after school every Goldday to fulfill his responsibilities. This meant, she had enough time to leave and come back to avoid being scolded. About two hours to be exact.

"Hehe, first time doing it outside of the Shui mansion totally gives it a different feeling~ I hope I am not too late."

♦ ♦ ♦

After the cafe session with Tsuko, Onii returned to his dorm and found Doragon standing in the bathroom doorway, drying her hair with the towel around her neck. She grinned upon his entrance. Beads of water dotted across her toned figure. Knowing her living habits, the Half-Dragon rarely wiped her body but always took an extra effort to dry her hair. 

It was a rather strange habit but somehow fitting for Doragon.

Today, she wore a black sports bra and high waisted yoga pants that accentuated her solid curves. He noticed the subtle shade of a six-pack, indicating how rigorous she trained herself. As the Fourth Seat of the ranking hierarchy, maintaining top condition was expected.

Onii remembered the days in which he fully devoted himself to training, starting from the bright sunrise to the late midnight. With delicious snacks and ice-cold water prepared from the day before, Amae would either train her magic or watch on the side. Sometimes, the little sister would even challenge him to a duel, becoming his sparring partner.

"Oh my, you have such a delicious smell right now~"

Doragon walked forward with a mysterious smile. Thus, came the typical greeting by walking around and smelling his body. She was close enough for him to sense the subtle body warmth. Thankfully to Mirai's intervention, the random licks on the cheeks and necks were no more.

"Don't you have better things to do rather than breathing in my scent?"

"What's this, what's this?" Widening her crimson-red eyes, her lips curled into a sly grin. "Fought a new monster? Mastered a new fighting technique? Leveled up your swordsmanship? Tell me why you smell so happy right now."

While Doragon was correct to some extent, Onii was mostly happy about something else.

"I made a new friend today."

Her pupils instantly narrowed in slight boredom. The Half-Dragon furrowed her brows and shrugged, as if saying from her body posture why did you just tell me something so useless?

Onii took off his shoes as the two entered in their shared room together. If someone were to watch right now, it would be a strange sight since a half-naked girl was walking side by side with a fully-dressed student. Instead of walking to her side of the bedroom, Doragon sat on Onii's table and placed her slender legs on his chair.

Like always, the Half-Dragon had no regard for personal space and did whatever she wished. Onii was already used to her invasive behaviors. 

However, Doragon was much more respectful after stopping her demands for a one-on-one duel. Brief conversations like today were common, as Onii focused on gathering school-related information while she was seemingly interested in discussions related to self-growth and achieving more power.

Beyond those topics, the Half-Dragon would show no interest and walk away.

"What's with the disappointing look on your face?"

"Something as shallow as part-time friendship is a waste of time."

Onii took off his school blazer and hung it in his wardrobe. He wondered about the implication of her statement.

"Part-time friendship?"

"Yes~" He heard her yawn loudly. "You are only friends because you are in the same class, stuck with each other for the next four years. Of course, a relationship will develop. It would be foolish to stay isolated for events such as the Battle of the Division. Visiting your class awhile ago, I already suspected no other than the Shui Princess to be the first one to reach out to you."

"How did you know?"

"It's such an obvious scent," Doragon revealed a knowing smirk. "Social obligation. That much is expected from the People's Princess."

Obligation...

Why did that make me feel uneasy?

Pondering more about her words, Oni knew Doragon was an honest individual. She was blunt and never hold back her thoughts. This meant her words hold a special weight, sometimes providing a different perspective.

"It's a shame because I know the F4 class will not be able to cultivate your skills. Not even the slightest ways. You are too good for those weaklings. If you beg me, I might consider giving you a recommendation to the S-ranks."

Although Doragon was joking, the swordsman knew if he truly wanted, the possibility was available. Onii thought about Doctor Lirin's proposal to become her Instructor Advisor. Yet again, it seemed like he was presented with another path.

"I'll pass on the begging."

"That's too bad. Some people find it pleasurable when they are begging like dogs to a pretty girl. To think you would pass on such an opportunity!"

"You can find your fetish elsewhere."

"But I am only interested in you~ What better than to watch a strong man like you, groveling on the floor before me like I am your one and only Goddess?"

Of course, the Half-Dragon was teasing him. Her wide, mischevious grin and raised chin indicated an obvious superiority complex.

"Enough nonsense. I'm thinking about what you said earlier — so what is your definition of genuine friendship?"

Onii turned around and found Doragon grinning widely to his question. Meeting gaze, she tilted her head in contemplation.

"A battle comrade. Someone who shares the same mission to decimate the enemy. No matter how bleak the situation, that person will always be my side and never abandon our goal. One day, I hope we will die gloriously in combat. Ah, the thought of living life on the edge sounds so exhilarating~"

By nature, the Half-Dragon was a species that enjoyed fighting. He understood the tacit meaning to her intrinsic desires. That was because back in the childhood years, he too had a similar mindset — to be able to trust his partner in life-threatening situations.

I wonder if we would have been good friends if I had met Doragon in the past.

"But it's a tragedy that chivalry and honor are values lost in the modern world. Most citizens in Libertea are looking to make a profit out of others. Everyone here in Temple Academy is too obsessed over being a Potential and ranking up. I love competition but this environment is distasteful when students are chasing only for status."

"Aren't you doing the same?"

"What do you mean?"

"By being an S-rank yourself and requesting a duel from me."

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. Please Onii, I duel based on the honor system. It is all for the purpose of self-improvement. Don't compare my request to something superficial as the Weekly Competitions."

Doragon smiled like a true predator as her words grew sharp and filled with determination. 

"Besides, I need the ranking status to fulfill my goal. Only then, I will be able to annihilate those who have betrayed me in the past."

Onii felt like there was a multi-faceted layer of complexity beneath her response. He was slightly curious and wanted to know the reasoningBut he did not have a good relationship with her nor did it seem appropriate to ask. Thus, he changed the topic.

"Then would you consider me as your friend?"

She burst into casual laughter.

"You are not my friend."

There was zero hesitation in expressing her discontent. Tilting her head playfully, she continued her thoughts.

"If I had to pick a description that would fit you... Prey? Competition? Rival?"

The word roommate isn't even on her mind.

"Such ridiculous descriptors," Onii studied her crimson-keen eyes before resuming his task of organizing his wardrobe. "I'm only living in Celestial Dragon because of your invitation."

"I know~ Aren't you a lucky boy to be in the best dorm in Temple Academy?"

"I don't have a preference as long as I am provided with the basic necessities."

"Then you should remove all this excessive furniture on your side and bring your futon next to mine. We can make this area into our private battle ring."

"What a ridiculous proposal."

Doragon laughed in merriment at his response. Her face remained completely unfazed from his rejection.

"Not that I mind having you around to liven up my night. Because as of now, I still have an interest in you."

There was something mysterious about her tone, almost as if she was searching for something from him. For a while now, Onii wondered if it was the duel itself or something else.

"An interest in what?"

"That's a Half-Dragon's secret~"

Onii sat on his futon, not wanting to continue this ridiculous conversation with her. As an introvert, he needed to recharge with some alone time and a good night's sleep.

"No hard feelings, my dear roommate. It's better this way. We aren't meant to be friends."

Doragon extended her left hand towards the huge glass jar of lollipop that was across the room. In response to her magic, two of her favorite treats drifted upward and gradually into her grasp.

"Want one? Bubble Trouble is on me."

"No thanks."

"Your loss~"

Doragon plopped both in her mouth, her cheeks appearing full like a chipmunk.

Kakaka.

The Half-Dragon leaped from his table with surprising physical strength and landed near the doorstep. Without saying goodbye, she proceeded to walk out barefoot in her sports pajama. As always, she dressed whatever she pleased within this five-star luxurious hotel.

Onii fell back on his head, landing on the fluffy futon with a poof. 

He could finally relax now.

He thought back to his interaction with Tsuko today. It was entirely different than what he had expected. At the very least, Onii knew that the Shui Princess had treated him as a friend.

Was it fun?

Was it worth the time?

Was it okay to feel happy?

Onii did not know the answer to those questions. He needed time to process and perhaps, consult with his little friendship expert. Amae would know what to do if she was in his position.

Part-time friendship.

Doragon made a strong and valid point for Princess Tsuko. Admittedly, a part of him wondered if she invited him from a place of pity. After all, the F4 class made no attempts to converse with him for the past two months. He had been sitting by himself during break and lunch while the others conversed.

The more he thought about the meaning of part-time friendship, the more cynical he became. Thus, he shook away those thoughts for the time being.

Onii changed the topic inside his head to what Doragon said earlier.

What would happen if she loses interest?

What would make her lose interest?

Is it good to keep her interested?

Again, he did not know the proper answers to those questions. It only made him more confused.

Not wanting to think anymore, Onii clapped his hands twice as the ceiling lights faded into darkness. Exhaustion enveloped his entire body as his eyelids grew heavier and heavier.

Tsuko is not Amae.

No one else can be Amae.

Only Amae can Amae.

As Onii recalled the past fond moments with Amae, he realized how utterly perfect his little sister was. How much the two had enjoyable conversations every day, almost as if they were destined to be together. He knew that their relationship was not a part-time friendship. Eventually, the sleepy student dozed off thinking in the dream world:

Why is making a friend so damn hard?

『 Amae (03/22/2020): Hope you are taking care of yourself during these stressful times. This quarantine is not a bother since I am already a hermit anyways~♡(◡‿◡✿) But I do miss the delicious food.

Patreon Siblings: Etienne, Jonano99, Jordan, Ness682, Somedude, Thedusk~ ♡♥

As always, thanks for reading, dear reader! ❣ 

| JOIN MY SIBLING PARADISE | PASSION ➼ PART-TIME |

11