How To Make A Friend II
2.2k 7 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The four students sat on their individual couches, facing a flat-screen that filled the entire wall. It was still blank as Group A was having their mission briefing with Doctor Lirin and the Overseer.

Despite being a spectator's room, every single item inside was of exquisite design. The glass ice water canteen with elaborate mugs. The sparkling chandelier above. Even the red carpet felt thick and rich to walk on. Majestic banners bearing Temple Academy's mascot — Dragon — hung at each corner, reminding him of its mighty prestige.

Although Onii had been inside many luxurious mansions and castles, the quality of the university was on another level. It was a hybrid of traditional craftsmanship mixed with modern cut-edge design, making the architecture the first of its kind. A certain type of creativity was needed to balance the two masterfully.

The Adventurer's Guild's VIP room could barely compare with the quality of Regular's meeting room.

Where does the Headmaster find these talents?

How much funds does the Headmaster have? More importantly, where do the funds come from?

Having explored another new area, Onii made a mental note for the upcoming meeting with Mari. While Tsuko and Jan engaged in a conversation, Aqua was sipping on her water as if it was hot tea, marveling the surrounding innocently to herself.

He sank into the cushion, feeling all of its fluffiest quality.

Truly, a paradise for the butt.

"Don't bother with Onii," Jan's voice became louder.

"What do you mean?"

"Planning a strategy."

Onii saw the Shui Princess tilted her head in contemplation.

"Because he's a lone wolf."

"A lone wolf?"

"Yes, someone who prefers to do everything by themselves. From our class interaction to group projects, isn't it obvious?"

Although he was surprised by Jan's bluntness, Onii sat back and said nothing. His class reputation was already established and there was zero need to involve with others, regardless of rumors or opinions such as this.

After all, a little sister's all I need.

"As lone wolf as he may be, we should work together. All of us. Teamwork is the key to success."

An internal chuckle as Onii thought back to countless grand adventures with Amae. The multiple times in which Duality formed alliances with many of the high ranking guilds, which required teamwork and communication to the maximum precision.

If only they knew.

"Princess Tsuko, this is the problem — should we? Or is that a need?"

"Call me Tsuko, Jan. And yes, we need to think of a strategy."

"I mean, this isn't a real adventure. It's only a mock battle against simulation monsters to help us train for Battle of the Divisions."

The bald student's voice was filled with indifference. Folding his arm, Onii knew he was brewing in bitterness because Doctor Lirin purposely separated him from his two best friends — Ness and Shen.

"Uhmm... I-I have something to say..."

Aqua chimed in like a little mouse. But the two were already engaged in their discussion, failing to notice her presence.

"Jan, Doctor Lirin said the purpose of Group Simulation Battle was to help the F4 class build rapport and assess each other's ability. Thus, in order for us to do so, we should think of a strategy everyone can agree upon."

"Is there really a need for some in-depth strategy when Onii is in our group? You've seen his swordsmanship and his training scores for the past few weeks."

Tsuko nodded her head empathically, trying to maintain the elegance of a regal Princess.

"Think of it as a learning opportunity. For yourself and as a team member."

"Okay fine, so let's stick together for the entire mission. That's a pretty good strategy in itself. Done."

"Again, we should develop a plan. Knowing a set of basic formations and battle tactics, we can cooperate more efficiently."

Despite Tsuko's grace, Onii could hear a subtle tension rising. The usually-composed Princess looked like she was in a debate, but against a complete idiot. Onii understood the struggle as he too had been in such scenarios. But the difference was he could decline such stubborn teammates.

His naivete is already breaking apart the team dynamic.

I'll have to be prepared if Jan decides to do something stupid during the mock battle.

I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to throw away our victory.

"Our team is plenty efficient."

Jan let out a chuckle that unexpectedly elevated the tension into a new level.

"He's a swordsman and probably fine on his own against some fake monsters. Plus, you saw his nullification skills against Mich and then how the S-rank came to our class. I am absolutely confident in our victory if we stick together and just help when it's necessary. Besides, I'm not a bad magician myself — I have the highest magic potential out of the others."

While Tsuko raised her brow and smiled politely, Onii noticed a small twitch at the corner of her eye. The micro expression described her reaction perfectly.

"From the bottom of your heart, you truly think we don't need a strategy?"

"Yep. Our team is stacked with you and Onii." Jan quickly glanced at Aqua but said nothing. "Honest thought, I'm not even worried. Not one bit. Even if we were selected for the hardest mission, it's only a training session."

Jan beamed proudly. Sensing his rigidity, the Shui Princess seemed to have given up and turned towards the village girl.

"Aqua, any thoughts?"

"U-Um. Yeah... I guess I'm fine with anything you all want..."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah..."

Onii assumed that was a lie. He wished she expressed her opinions since often times, the quiet ones brought good insight.

A roadmap was the bare standard to the beginning of an adventure, created through everyone's thoughts and opinion. The purpose was to discuss and prepare for every possible outcome. Thus, Aqua's perspicacity could mean the difference in this mission's success.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

It's hard to hold back from being a Hero-tier adventurer.

If this were an actual quest, Onii would begin in-depth research on his opponents, their abilities, escape routes and conditions to winning flawlessly. Similarly, Amae would perform her part. The little sister's goal would be to make the experience easier through connections and negotiations. Utilizing their forte separately, Duality would possess a wealth of information and an array of extensive help before they even embark on their adventure.

After all, this would be to avoid the worst-case scenario — death.

Onii let out an inner sigh.

This is Bronze-tier all over again.

Adding on the nuisance, we have Jan — a variable of unpredictability.

But it's best not to reveal anything that will indicate I am from the Adventurer's Guild, especially after the incident with Doragon.

I can't handle all that stress again.

"Come on, Tsuko."

Jan held his hands up and smiled awkwardly, finally noticed the tension.

"We'll be fine, we'll be fine. The good news is that it's only a simulation and we are the lowest class in Temple Academy. No one will expect anything from us."

No one expects anything from us.

Those last words echoed ominously as Onii realized the core to his insecurity.

Within the Adventurer's Guild, the ranking disparity was something new adventurers often struggled with. Onii could see this angst applicable in Temple Academy. It was a matter of fixed vs growth mindset.

The belief whether you will be stuck as the lowest rank or through the odds, rise above it.

Perhaps an attempt to easing the mood, Tsuko cleared her throat and smiled politely in his direction. Behind the expression indicated a hint of frustration.

"Thoughts, Onii? You're from the renowned Dojo so I'm sure you must have words of wisdom."

The tacit meaning from Princess Tsuko was to back her up. To bring some insight and perhaps, create a strategy with her.

But this was not a battle of life and death.

It was merely a practical exam.

Deep down, Onii did not care about Group Simulation Battle because there was no benefit in fully participating. Since rooming with Doragon, he became more careful in his thoughts and actions. Another reckless move could lead to more unnecessary problems in the future.

But examining the Princess's slightly pouty expression, he could not help but think of Amae. The adorable face she would make when the little sister was in a pinch. Instantly, the big brother instinct burst into life, perhaps wanting to atone for that night.

"Let me think about it, Princess Tsuko."

"Tsuko," she instantly corrected him.

"Yes, Tsuko."

An offensive-type magician — Jan.

A supportive-type magician — Aqua.

And a strategic-type magician — Tsuko.

Their upcoming scenario was randomly selected by Doctor Lirin.

Either protection-based — escorting a nobility or infiltration-based — eliminating a hobgoblin nest. Needless to say, teamwork was a standard formula for success but that was out of the current equation.

On fighting terms, Onii did not know much about his companions and their abilities. The only distinguishing feature was Tsuko's famed「Celestial Eyes」. Since their enemies were holograms, which were inferior to real-life monsters, nothing particularly stood out besides the term — novices in training.

It was hard to assess since new Adventurers often had experiences with live combat and monster-hunting, which was what drew them to the dangerous world of questing in the first place. On the contrary, those who attended Temple Academy had academic knowledge and pursed for various reasons such as research, international politics, business, family lineage and such.

Thus, Onii could not make a proper judgment.

Despite being on the same spectrum, it was impossible to compare apples to oranges.

"It can be anything, Onii," Tsuko spoke again, indicating he had spent some time thinking. "Share what you feel like will help us all."

Heck, I'll quote Boba's mini-speech when we used to dungeon in The Abyss.

That Hero-tier adventurer always has something witty to say.

"We must stand as one!"

Onii rose from his seat and waved his arm in a sweeping motion, imitating how Boba did it with utter pride. He tried his best to radiate the same mighty aura of charisma as the black twin-tailed girl.

"March boldly without fear and kill everything that stands in our way. No matter who they are, we will succeed!"

His teammates widened their eyes and watched silently.

Umu.

That actually sounded pretty cool.

Contrary to the amazement and applauses that awaited, Onii heard laughter. Pure laughter. He furrowed his brows at the odd reaction.

"Oh my~ That was great..! So great...!"

Cheery guffaw continued relentlessly. The culprit was from no other than the Princess herself. Covering her mouth, tears trickled out of her twinkling purple eyes.

Jan and Aqua seemed to be speechless as their jaws dropped. They furrowed their brows and said nothing more.

Onii quickly sat back down and sipped on his cold water, trying to chill his hot cheeks.

Damn.

Never again.

♦ ♦ ♦

TheChallenge Arenawas an enormous indoor stadium, about an acre in shape. Modeled after the Coliseum of the Huo Dictatorship, multiple see-through glass booths surrounded the oval ceilings. Unlike a sandy ground, the entire flooring was artificial as indicated by the black-and-white square patterns, which vibrated pristinely with Mana's every step.

The Platinum-tier adventurer gazed around and felt overwhelming awe at how far Science progressed in Temple Academy. The interior lighting was not lit by the typical torches but clear artificial illumination.

"Welcome F4 class."

A figure leaped from the VIP booth above. He somersaulted twice in mid-air before descending gracefully from a height that seemed equivalent to a six-story building. Amazed by his grand entrance, Mana wondered if he used a special type of Martial Arts or actually possessed a pair of wings.

"At ease."

Surprisingly, he was a distinguished old gentleman in a traditional butler's outfit. His hair, beard, and mustache were white like true snow. However, the old man was far from feeble as his toned and rigid posture indicated, living up to the acrobatic performance earlier.

"Call me Overseer. I manage all the first-year Regulars and train muppets like you all. Group B, your mission is to protect a shipment containing a Mythical-tier Artifact. During your excavation, you were ambushed by imps."

"Imps? Really?"

"Correct."

Mana let out a soft chuckle.

"Something funny?"

She waved her hand and grinned.

"I expected monsters like orcs or the undead. You know, something much harder."

"A reasonable response for the Platinum-tier herself," He nodded and smiled back, as if already anticipated her reaction. "Indeed, one imp is just child's play. But we aren't in grade school."

"U-umm.. sir! Is it good if I get a quick refresher?"

The Overseer laughed and nodded at Shen.

"Imps. Small but agile creatures who have a profound fascination with rare magic items. Although small in size, this devil-like monster often traveled in large groups, overwhelming their enemies through their numbers."

"This is why some adventurers call them the living undead," Mana chimed in and remembered an infamous quote. "Because no matter how many you kill, more will always come back."

"Perfectly described. Thus, leads to your win condition — defend the carriage against an onslaught of imps until extraction."

"How many imps will there be?"

Mana twirled her blonde hair as she searched inside her mind for various strategies. Different numbers of imps would require different tactics and types of teamwork.

"Intel is unknown."

The Overseer replied with an inscrutable smile but Mana half-expected it. She just wanted to see if she could push her luck.

"Prior information on the enemy is unavailable since it's an ambush. We try to replicate realistic scenarios as much as possible. The reason for this is to prepare you muppets for the future — when situations become life-threatening."

Nervousness increased astronomically. Ness and Shen shared glances while Shino yawned and stared off into the distance. As usual, the reticent girl was off in her own fantasy world, seemingly neutral about the situation.

"Will it hurt...?" Ness raised his hand as his voice trailed off.

"Yeah, I don't want bite marks all over me. I have a date afterward."

The Overseer laughed again. His confident drill-sergeant demeanor alleviated some of the tension.

"Yes, it will hurt. No pain no gain. But like Doctor Lirin mentioned in class, the monster will not cause any permanent damage."

A sigh of relief but the Overseer continued in a wary tone.

"Do understand that the simulation monsters are my summoned beings. They will show no mercy."

"In other words, we're fighting against your familiars?"

"It's cost-efficient and allows me to command my minions directly. After all, student safety is the utmost importance. We wouldn't want first-year muppets to die on us."

That made the most sense since relying on technology would be too expensive in the long-term. If the monsters were summoned beings, this means the Overseer could control or dispose minions at his immediate will, limiting any possibilities of technological errors.

The Overseer must be at least a 5th tier magician if he could control hundreds of minions. Within the Adventurer's Guild, there were only an elite few who possessed such an ability.

Mana's rating of the drill-butler increased by a few more amounts.

"Available spells are listed behind me. Take a look."

The Overseer brought his right hand up and snapped his fingers confidently.

In an instant, a summation of all the spells Group A could use appeared in the air. It shone in a thin blueish light. This was not magic but technological lights from the ceiling concentrated on a single point.

"You can use all types of magic listed on here. Prior to your arrival, I consulted with Doctor Lirin and tweaked its potency to ensure the battle will be balanced."

"Look at Mana, her repertoire of spells fills up half of the list."

"As expected of a Platinum-tier."

Mana beamed proudly and folded her arms like a champion.

"Kekeke. One day, bois. One day you will have as many as me!"

Beyond the numbers, the Platinum-tier adventurer had numerous earth-based magic that worked well against hordes of monsters. As a frontline magician of the Moonlit White Cats, her abilities focused on massive firepower and environmental manipulation.

She knew what to expect and the sort of attack patterns imps typically exhibited. Mana pumped her fist triumphantly as numerous plans emerged naturally into her mind.

This quest could not have been more perfect.

Manipulate the terrain.

Create walls for protection.

Narrow the openings.

Use trees and branches as obstacles.

Create a huge boulder if it were on a hill.

Wahaha! There are so many possibilities.

Still, anxiety fluttered inside. Out of the three, she was the only one with real combat experience. With her status and experience in the Adventurer's Guild, a mountain of expectations were placed upon Mana.

I can carry my team.

Just do what you always do, girl.

A Platinum-tier should overcome this challenge ezpz.

Or how else am I going to pursue my ultimate goal — to become a Diamond-tier?

"Now I understand fighting monsters requires a tremendous amount of energy and mana," The Overseer snapped his fingers again as the shimmering lights shifted to a new image, "Everyone will receive a「Traveler's Bag」— which includes health, mana potions and as many already heard, a random weapon or device from Temple Academy."

His statement sparked excitement. Having examined more than ten basic gadgets in Modern Weaponry, it was finally time to apply their knowledge into practicality.

"The items will cater to your group and the overall objective. Use it or disregard it, it's up to you muppets. Remember — within five minutes, the enemies will start spawning."

This means we only have five minutes to plan a strategy.

"Ah, I'm so glad I paid attention," Mana smirked.

"Isn't that the only class you didn't fall asleep in?"

"Hey, zip it!"

"When is Mana not sleeping, Shen?"

"When she's not eating."

While Mana puffed her cheek into a round balloon, she thought what many Senpais had said. Mass-production of Modern Weaponry in the near future. As current students, they were allowed the alpha/beta versions in exchange for suggestions and feedbacks. If she could somehow use these weapons in the Adventurer's Guild, then—

"—Any other questions?"

Mana's daydream was interrupted as the four answered in unison.

"No, sir."

"Good luck."

A wave of gust erupted from the Overseer's position. As he leaped back into the VIP booth, Doctor Lirin smiled and waved in one of the seats.

Gradually, the blocks on the floor rotated, twisted and turned. Many turned into huge blocks while some removed itself, creating holes and steep hills. The other three almost fell from the rumbling.

Fog immersed their vision as she could not help but marvel at the complexity of such design. This was a unique experience in itself. The Adventurer's Guild never had something like this.

I knew it was the right decision to enroll here!

As the mist slowly dissipates, before the four were a completely new surrounding. A foreign environment that would put their skills to the ultimate test. Above the four students was a translucent timer.

"Countdown start."

>> 5:00 <<

>> 4:59 <<
>> 4:58 <<

『 Amae (08/17/19): O my Amae, these chapters are growing from 2k to 3k! O___O Prob because the story is about to become hecking juicier ~ 

Patreon Siblings: Adonis, Andre, Andrew W., Connor K., Etienne, Jonano99, Logan, Nero Angelo, Ness682, Somedude~ ♡♥

As always, thanks for reading, dear reader! ❣ 

A WHOLESOME READ | JOIN MY SIBLING PARADISE | PASSION ➼ PART-TIME |

11