How To Make A Friend III
1.9k 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Desert.

Sand dunes and dry orange-red earth as far as the eyes could see.

Despite how the four students were in the arena a few seconds ago, dryness enveloped the air. The blazing sun above was harsh, reminding Mana bad memories from the Desert Temple quest a couple of months ago. Due to the instant temperature change, it almost felt like they were teleported to another geographical region.

"What's the plan?"

Ness asked, proceeding to gulp down his pouch of water greedily. Sweat beads were already apparent on his chubby back.

"Let's discuss strategy."

"Good idea. Are we disregarding the ones we talked about during the meeting?"

"Oh man, I don't like changing plans last minute."

With a hint of pride, Shen pushed up his glasses and smiled.

"Mana is a Platinum-tier adventurer. Remember everyone, this mission should be child's play for her. Remember how Doctor Lirin mentioned she would place as a B-rank in the Potentials? She could carry this mission all by herself if she needed to so let's all do our best."

She could not bring herself to deny such words. Not when Group A had absolute faith in her ability or the fact Shen felt it was perfectly logical. Thinking from their perspective, Mana would too feel only respect for someone who had already been in this field.

They're placing their hope in me.

I'm feeling really nervous now.

"Exactly!~" She presented a thumbs-up and lived up to the facade they created. "So let's all focus on teamwork! Everyone, gather around and listen carefully. This is important."

As they stood beside the newly-appeared carriage, Mana reminded them of the basics to remove role ambiguity. While the Platinum-tier adventurer had past quest experiences, she was by no means an experienced leader. Thus, she felt her anxiety growing by the minutes.

"Girl, you can do this!"

"Do it for that Diamond-tier!"

"Let's all have a yummy celebration for our dear magician after!"

Her guildmate's encouragement from yesterday resonated deep inside her mind. It provided the comfort she needed to keep moving forward.

Thank you, everyone.

I'll be taking your thoughts with me to the battlefield.

"Y'all, let's check our「Traveler's Bag」first ."

I'll start with the basic equipment check and assign duties after.

The four held onto their items and examined carefully, feeling a slight sense of awe. Because at this moment, everything they learned in class was now being put to the test. Their naive expressions reminded Mana when she first started adventuring.

Regarding Modern Weaponry, their items were —「Binocular of Prediction」,「Paralysis Grenade」,「Explosion Mine」,「Intervention」. The latter was a special class of ranged weapon called the Sniper Rifle, assigned specifically to Shino. Everyone was in a huge surprise because this was the first time anyone had seen such weapon, let alone know how to use it.

A few days ago, Doctor Lirin had brought「Binocular of Prediction」for a live demonstration during Fieldwork. Able to shift into three gears, which varied in distance and vision, it offered useful information such as enemy heat signature, terrain elevation, current temperature, wind velocity and so on.

"It's at 135°T right now and climbing to 136°T. No wonder it's so damn hot," Shen glanced into the lens and shook his head. "You can cook an egg outdoor with this temperature."

"Bro, sometimes not knowing is better," Ness sighed as his water pouch dripped its last. "Now it feels even hotter and I'm still thirsty."

"I'm not sharing my ration."

"Ugh. I'll just be slow-cooked under this sun oven then. Ah, poor me~"

"Fine... just one waterfall."

Mana thought the two's interaction was quite adorable. Beyond Group Simulation Battle, their concern for each other could mean the difference between survival and death.

For「Paralysis Grenade」and「Explosion Mine」, these devices detonated upon enemy contact. Mana thought it was amazing since both weapons could discern enemies and allies, with its technology linked to the AI devices. This prevented friendly-fire, which was a huge concern for Group A.

"These suckers will definitely be useful against a horde of imps."

"Kaboom~" Mana grinned at Shen, also wanting to see the explosion in action.

Then there was「Intervention」, which had a long-black barrel attached to a large L-shaped base.

"Read the instruction manual, Shino."

The black-haired girl nodded and read softly. Her voice sounded exactly like a doll and Mana had to lean in closer to hear the words.

"「Intervention」 is a weapon for extreme-distance precision shooting. It excels at long range, where the power, accuracy, and zoom allow the user to kill enemies at ranges typical weapons like bow and crossbow would be unable to. Similarly,「Intervention」is one of the few weaponry that do not lose damage over range. In contrast to the sheer firepower, it is absolutely abysmal at close range—"

—Mana stopped Shino since it was becoming too boring. With weapons, the learning process relied on muscle-memory and practice rather than reading.

"Do you have confidence in using it?"

Intervention」looked absolutely intimidating and complex to handle. So it would be reasonable for Shino to focus on improving her magic. Instead, the black-haired maiden held onto the weapon tightly and continue to study it with great interest, which was a rare sight.

"Yes."

Mana did not doubt her and nodded.

"You'll be in the backline. We will be relying on you for covering fire."

"Okay."

"You can use the remaining time to figure out the weapon. We'll set up our surrounding."

"Okay."

As silence gradually enveloped the air, an uneasy tension rose. It was obvious what everyone was feeling. Thus, Mana unbuttoned her school outfit and let out a carefree yawn:

"Too hooooooooot!~"

"A-are you crazy?!"

"Why are you stripping in the middle of the desert?"

The two boys widened their eyes while Shino diverted her attention away towards 「Intervention」, but glancing back shyly a few times. After fully shedding, Mana wore a comfortable black sports bra and short shorts. Compared to her teammates, the adventurer looked out of place on a battlefield.

"Learning how to adjust to your environment is key to victory," She beamed brightly with another thumbs up. "You should all get used to it, boys. Now, stop staring at me so much."

"Ah, yes yes."

"Sorry... I actually didn't expect you to be this fit."

Her teammates chuckled, replacing the tense air with some relief.

Okay, I'm glad my anxiety is gone.

Their nervousness was making me more nervous.

"Alright y'all, let's quickly discuss our battle plan~"

♦ ♦ ♦

Under Mana's guidance, Group A shared「Paralysis Grenade」and「Explosion Mine」equally while Shino held onto the「Binocular of Prediction」and「Intervention」. She should have expected this. Because within one minute of planning, the consensus was already reached.

Deep down, Mana felt that the other three did not input opinions but simply abided to her suggestions because of her status and experience.

Is it because I am a Platinum-tier adventurer?

Gah! I know it's nice to have that respect but come onnnnnn, we need to think more!

This is a team effort!

Based on their discussion, Shino had the lowest magic potential in F4 class, excluding Onii who supposedly could not use elemental magic but was an absolute beast in its own level. From the physical exams, the demure girl reported she scored 20/20 on her vision and reflexes. She also shared how her family was actively affiliated with the Ranger's Guild.

Thus, it was most logical to have Shino try and learn「Intervention」to make up for her weakness. Mana felt like she was specifically assigned this weapon for a reason.

"Let's do this!~"

"Understood!"

The two boys responded to Mana in unison as Shino nodded silently. The discussion was over and it was time to set up their perimeters.

With merely a minute left, Ness and Shen quickly laid the mines in the outskirt of the desert dunes. In a safe distance, the thundering sound of an electrical bullet whizzed through the air, reminding everyone just how powerful Modern Weaponry could be.

The Platinum-tier adventurer surveyed her surrounding from left to right carefully.

Visibility was good, so she was not too worried.

But everywhere was sand, sand and more sand.

How should I manipulate the terrain to our advantage?

Create a sand wall? Against an onslaught of imp horde was questionable as they could climb it by stacking on top of one another. Even then, the fortification would be unstable and required a water-based mage to solidify.

Use sand as a form of attack? Effective but cost too much mana. Depending on the number of enemies, it was better to save her spells for dire situations. After all, she was the last resort.

The problem right now was the possibility of being attacked from all sides.

Then the best thing was to...

Mana chanted a spell and envisioned the ideal setting.

Changing terrain was a core strategy she learned from Adventurer's Guild. Many people thought the environment was bounded but the truth was; everything could be changed. People simply needed to think outside the box.

Environment manipulation was her specialty as an Earth-based magician.

The crux of what made her a frontliner mage in Moonlit White Cats.

After hardcore practicing with Nan and her guildmates two days ago, the Platinum-tier adventurer was quite confident in her strength and magical abilities. But that was in her capacity as a caster, relying on her comrades for effective tank and support.

Today's situation was different.

Could she serve as an effective leader?

Could she make the right calls in the nick of time?

Could she meet her teammate's expectations?

Mana felt uneasy. Her heart thumped restlessly. For the Moonlit White Cats, she trusted her guildmates fully because they knew her fighting style. Years of experience and synergy-building had made them into a high-ranking guild.

But today's mission was something else.

It felt like going to the basic; adventuring with a bunch of strangers that were noobs.

"Imps! I see them! They are starting to spawn all over the hill!"

Ness cried out frantically, alarming the group into battle mode. Mana dismissed her doubts and took a deep breath.

LET'S DO THIS.

I WILL WIN IT.

It was time.

"Everyone fall back into formation, I will be creating trenches around our location and leaving a small ledge."

"Race you back, Ness. Don't fall behind!"

"Hey, wait for me please!"

"See ya!"

Simultaneously, Shino locked and loaded her Sniper Rifle as she prone above the carriage. Her long flowing black hair cascaded down her shoulder, appearing like a deadly sharpshooter. A red line appeared from the tip of her barrel, directly aimed towards the monsters in the far distance.

"「Create Trench — Defensive」"

Instantly, the sand around fell to a wide and deep depth, surrounding the carriage like a moat. Mana purposely left the ledge because imps were dumb creatures. Their greed and frenzy for mystical artifacts prevent them from acting logically after a certain distance.

If this is based on a realistic scenario, then the imps should mindlessly force through that opening.

A better manipulation of the complete trench strategy because they would end up leaping from all sides.

With Ness and Shen as the lead vanguard and Shino filling the role of rear offensive, Mana could focus on strengthening both sides as needed.

But if she were to falter, then the whole formation will fall apart.

This was the pro and cons of the Hourglass Tactic, placing immense pressure on the person in the middle.

Enemies appeared across the horizon, looking small and brown-red, which indicated they were desert imps. Although most relied on melee attack, there were a few who could use magic if they possessed a heart-shaped tail. Luckily, there was none based on a quick observation made from Shino using the「Binocular of Prediction」.

In other words, they are fighting against the most basic-tier of imps.

An appropriate challenge suited for the lowest class of Temple Academy.

♦ ♦ ♦

The instructor of the F4 class analyzed the battle from directly above.From a birds-eye view, she could clearly observe the strategies Group A decided. Feeling a pleasantry inside, this was the type of teamwork Lirin wanted from her students.

The Overseer stood in front of the glass panel and continued to chant a 5th tier summoning-based spell. In accordance with the mission context, his disposable minions altered its look through the arena's technology and an illusionary spell.

"Attack."

With pure-white eyes, the butler commanded his minions with one simple order. After summoning an abundance in queue, he turned towards Lirin and spoke softly:

"Compared to last year's F4 class, they are well-prepared."

"Having a Platinum-tier adventurer in a class certainly helps," Lirin smiled politely.

"I was most surprised to see her on the roster."

"Me as well. But her experiences from the Adventurer's Guild and magical ability is a tremendous boost to the F4 class."

The Overseer widened his eyes, "while I understand that the entrance exam does not fully capture an individual's ability, I am most surprised by someone of that level failing to such an extent."

"An anxious student, but nevertheless, a brilliant magician."

"Anxiety is an opponent everyone has to defeat someday," he nodded empathically and studied the battlefield. "Even those who are experienced can stumble and fall."

"Instead of learning about magic like the other students, Mana's journey this year is learning how to master her anxiety."

"You sure have an interesting cohort this year."

"If you think this is interesting, just wait for Group B."

As Lirin smiled, the Overseer tilted his head in curiosity and slowly stroked his white beard.

"You already knew about the Third Princess from the Shui-Kingdom and King Tsu's request for Temple Academy. But have you heard of the duel that sparked the attention of the entire First-Year class?"

"Ah, yes. I heard such a tale from Dr. Riggio of the A1 class in the lounge room a few days ago. One of her students is his sibling."

"Yes, his little sister."

"How fascinating for the two to be worlds apart. What is his name?"

"Onii."

A brief pause.

"It is as you say, my mind is curious about his nullification abilities," The butler smiled nostalgically. "He reminds me of Mari when she first enrolled in Temple Academy, doesn't she?"

"Perhaps so," she smiled with an inscrutable expression.

Lirin chose not to share her personal reason with anyone else, despite how the lurking emotion continued to plague her since the first day of school. It had come from seeing「Katana」once again. An unexpected reunion with her past.

A hunch told her that Mari and Onii were more than just apprentices from the same Dojo.

In fact, the sheathed blade he wielded was a mystery she wanted to solve.

How did someone as young as him already attain a Legendary-tier weapon?

Mari isn't the type of person to give a weapon of this level away without a good reason.

I'm missing something.

After all, Lirin and Mari were the ones who uncovered the twelve「Katana」from the ruins of Samu Rai during their Fifth Year Expedition.

Lirin glanced at her AI, which was neatly tucked into her upper breast pocket. The kitty keychain that tied itself in the corner brought a flash of bittersweet memories.

Of that day she will never forget.

Life is truly mysterious in its own ways.

What is it the more I run away, the more I see you again?

Commander...

"Shall we begin the final phase?"

After noticing the growing excitement in the Overseer's posture, she returned to the present. Now was not the time to reminisce about the past.

Lirin made a mental note to visit Mari at the Adventurer's Guild in the near future.

"In a minute."

Observing Ness and Shen, the two boys unleashed a torrent of 10th tier fire-based spells at the incoming imps. She smiled, silently applauding at how much they improved in a short span of time. Those intense after school training session had paid off.

"Was there any reason why「Intervention」was specifically requested today?"

"Take a closer look at Shino."

The Overseer's eyes sparkled as the black-haired maiden fired multiple stunning shots, piercing at least twenty monsters in the process. Her reloading skill was even more impressive, replacing the chamber with maximum efficiency and without any major fumbling. It almost felt as if she had already learned this weapon.

The entirety of her action could be best described as cool and calculated.

"Absolutely remarkable. If Shino keeps it up and scores exceptionally in the Advance Modern Weaponry elective, she could receive an invitation to join the Task Force."

"I know."

"I'm surprised you knew about her interest in Sniper Rifles."

"Of course. Each and every one of my students is precious to me."

Lirin caught it during class a few days ago — how the usual reticent girl would intellectually participate when discussion about guns appeared. Shino's eyes glimmered throughout the mini-lesson on long-ranged weapons. Finally, Lirin had discovered the gateway to bridge the teacher-student gap.

"Rather than focusing on Shino's weakness, I decided to hone in on her strength and interest."

"With the majority of Potentials still prefer to use magic over Modern Weaponry, are you sure this is the best for her?"

"Shino will decide what's best for herself. I am only here to help her get where she needs to be."

A nod from the Overseer.

"Your teaching style is always unconventional."

"Unconventional? Or is it the fact that each student learns and engage the course material differently?"

Folding her arms confidently, Lirin smiled and spoke the future she desired:

"After all, there is more life than just magic. I want my students to remember that before they graduate from Temple Academy."

『 Amae (09/02/19): A labor day special~ (´。• ᵕ •。`) I'm getting hyped up at how our swordsman boi will do! Who else feels for Mana? 』

Patreon Siblings: Adonis, Andre, Andrew W., Connor K., Etienne, Jonano99, Logan, Nero Angelo, Ness682, Somedude~ ♡♥

As always, thanks for reading, dear reader! ❣ 

A WHOLESOME READ | JOIN MY SIBLING PARADISE | PASSION ➼ PART-TIME |

15