How To Make A Friend VIII
1.7k 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sinking back into his lounge chair, Lirin saw the Overseer furrowed his brows and stroked his white beard. He was deep in thought and the F4 instructor understood why. After all, she was somewhat surprised as well, especially towards the ending. 

The cohesive group effort of overcoming a challenge meant they had what it takes to climb the ranking ladder. Indeed, there was hope for this year's cohort.

"Lirin, what did you think of the swordsman's odds with the Troll earlier?"

The Overseer was still focused on Onii, which was expected as he had confronted a Veteran-tier monster by himself and even stood his ground. Many of the current Second and Third Years students had expressed their doubts in a similar scenario. But considering Onii was a graduate of the world-famous Dojo, this was not an entirely mind-blowing feat.

It simply meant his skills and battle insight were at the upper echelon, rivaling those of the experienced A-tiers. The question was whether or not he could be an S-tier candidate.

After considering the usual variables like strategies, movement, mechanics, she calmly informed her opinion: 

"About a forty percent chance of victory."

"Such high expectations from you!"

He revealed a rather surprised expression. That much was understandable as she knew the Overseer had high standards.

"It's my overall observation, accounting from the first day of training to his display of skills today. I also considered the fact that he is a Dojo Alumni."

"That's still quite remarkable from someone who nearly failed most of her students last time. Did this year change that much for you?"

Lirin nodded and let out a revealing smile towards his mentor.

He was right. For the last cohort that graduated, none of them captured her fullest attention. That was not to say some were not amazing and grown astronomically as an individual. But most students remained fixated with the discriminatory belief of Regular and Potential, which prevented them from focusing on what they could do to improve.

As expected, this system held them back from the best they could be.

"Yes, Onii is a talent that appears once every decade. Likewise, this class has something special. I believe they have what it takes to become the top of the Regulars."

"I haven't heard that phrase in a long time."

"That's because you always used it to describe my cohort," Lirin laughed softly. "How about your thoughts on his chance of winning?"

"Five percent," The Overseer instantly replied and had a solemn look. "I wanted to stop the battle when「Smoky Grenade」was used."

"I saw your worry earlier. But the reason I chose to not intervene was because Onii has experiences in live combat," Lirin quirked up the corner of her mouth in a knowing smile. "His veteran skills were clearly demonstrated today."

"Aye, I didn't expect him to be this skilled. It reminds me of the days when Mari and you were incoming First-Years. To think you two changed the academy so much."

Lirin let out a chuckle as nostalgia enveloped their presence.

"You mean the old days when your hair and beard were black?"

"Days are long but years are short, you'll understand once you hit your fifties," He chuckled and continued his thoughts. "There is a possibility that the S-tiers might recruit Onii if they find out later on the school year. After all, Mari was invited to join her first year."

"I know."

"Are you recommending him?"

"No."

"I had a feeling you were thinking of keeping Onii."

"Yes, the S-ranks are not taking away my dear student..." Lirin paused and realized the implication of her words. A rather selfish one. Thus, she let out a deep sigh. "But I still wonder if that's the best decision."

Lirin did not want Onii to leave the F4 class, despite being at the lowest level. She knew Instructor Xy had a "special" way of teaching the S-tiers. It was definitely not an educational style that aligned with the swordsman values nor brings the best potential out of him.

Still, is it selfish for me to think this way?

What if he excels in the S-rank?

Maybe I should

—"Rank does not bring out the best of your students, your relationship with them does."

Lirin's eyes widened at his mentor's quote, which he nodded and stroked his beard. She had thought the Overseer would have a similar reply to the few others she had consulted privately.

"Old ways won't open new doors. Keep being the Lirin that I know. The one filled with ideals and grand ambition to change the Academy system. If you believe it is in the student's best interest, then show us. That will have much more meaning."

Lirin averted her gaze as those words struck chords in her heart. That was because tears unexpectedly brimmed the corner of her eyes. Not wanting to embarrass herself any further, she quickly wiped her tears away.

"Thank you, I needed that."

"We all do at some points in lives," He nodded understandably and glanced at the battlefield. "Don't hesitate to ask for help when you need it. Being a faculty is like a caretaker for the youths. Taking care of so many students at once is a difficult job. Difficult than anyone could ever imagine, especially those wielding the potential to change the world."

"You sound like a wise guru."

"Perhaps I am already one. But then again," The Overseer gazed into her eyes with a mischevious look. "I did learn a thing or two from teaching pesky students like you and Mari."

The two chuckled, reminding of their past moments together when she was a student. Those were indeed the times where she felt personal growth the most. Lirin was glad that she had an instructor like the Overseer.

"Shall we go?"

"Aye."

Gently rose from her seat, Lirin turned towards the exit as her amber eyes sparkled in merriment. Today was a good day. Tomorrow will be even better, with the decision she chose for her class.

Then someday, her dream will finally come true.

♦ ♦ ♦

After the Group Simulation Battle, the entire F4 class entered a grand, decadent hall on the same evening. Aqua wore her best dress outfit, handmade and woven from dear Mother. Little details were explained by Doctor Lirin besides to show up for the banquet to discuss their test results. Oddly enough, lavishing desserts were being prepared on the far end by multiple chefs in long white hats. 

"Do you think those are for us, Mana?"

"I am not sure if there's a party after our meeting. But I can't stop drooling wah~"

Two fancy circular tables with four seats were prepared while a rectangular stand was placed in between. Several great halls they passed by before also had a similar kind of dining tables, but with different placement. 

This hall was just as gorgeous as with the rest, even a village girl could understand; the lush carpet, the decorative paintings, the murals, the ambiance, and everything here were of a supreme masterpiece. Aqua could not believe she was walking in such a setting. That much would have been impossible for someone who was from a rural background.

"Welcome students. Please take a seat according to your designated Group."

A familiar voice called out from behind the steel counter. Unlike the traditional white lab coat she wore, it was replaced with business attire. Black blazer. Thin tie. White-collar. Suit pants. Lirin's elegant brown-hair was braided into a neat bun, resembling a formal businesswoman.

"Before we start, grab yourself some drink from the side. There's fresh-squeezed juice, brewed coffee, and hot tea. I'm here to announce the results."

Aqua decided to try some packets of Chrysanthemum tea. After all, she always saw the nobilities sipping their afternoon tea with plates of yummy dessert. It looked very enjoyable.

After everyone settled in their seats with their drinks, Lirin scanned the room and announced in a warm tone. 

"Group A and Group B, you both passed the examination. Congratulations."

Aqua let out a sigh of relief as cheers and praises filled the hall for a couple of seconds. Lirin raised her hand, hushing the crowd.

"My style is to share my analysis with everyone. I believe all the students may benefit from learning each other's mistakes and strategies."

The serious instructor look returned to her facial expression.

"The exam's theme was on teamwork. This means cooperating with your teammates under stressful conditions. So please do not lose sight of the main objective."

That statement resonates with the entire class. Although Doctor Lirin specified the theme of their mission many times, it was hard to think properly during an ongoing battle. Aqua sipped the tea, knowing she needed to practice much more to become better.

"Hot hot!"

"Group A did an excellent job creating a cohesive strategy. Remember — you always want to have a plan, no matter what the mission is. Always be aware of the environment and how it will affect you. Remember the causal and effect of your spells. Overall, nice work surviving to the very end."

Aqua hoped Lirin's analysis was not too harsh on their Group. She still found it hard to believe they managed to kill a Troll.

"Group B had rough starts in the beginning. While I admire the positioning, each team member should cover each other's weaknesses as battles are always changing. You never know when an unexpected enemy will appear so always be prepared for the unexpected. Make sure you always establish a plan and communicate with each other. I enjoyed the teamwork in the end."

While Group B was satisfactory, Aqua realized she needed to work harder on building a relationship. The village girl knew she had much to learn from their battle experience. Not only that, overcoming her anxiety and reach out for help. Thus, she vowed to master water-based magic and step outside of her comfort zone before the Battle of the Divisions.

"If anyone has concerns or questions, you may speak to me privately after the banquet. Meanwhile, please enjoy your night. Yes, these desserts are made for you all."

Doctor Lirin snapped her fingers as the four chefs brought rows of yummy dessert into sight, placing them on a large rectangular table. The class marveled in awe.

There were soft and moist sponge cakes as well as strawberry shortcakes. Fruit tarts exuded a citrus fragrance and were topped with a copious amount of fresh berries and nuts. Rich cheesecake and egg tarts were baked to absolute perfection, sprinkled with rich gold powder. 

Aqua was impressed, never realizing there could be thirty different variations of sweets to choose from. This truly must be a dessert paradise!

 This truly must be a dessert paradise!

"Everything here is all you can eat

"Everything here is all you can eat."

The entire class widened their eyes, praising in awe at the sound of that magic statement. That was because every dessert was like an intricate meal in itself.

"You mean it?" Jan cried out.

"Yes, Temple Academy has a legal contract with many of the finest chefs to allow for the best school experience. So please," Lirin smiled warmly. "You all deserved it after the battle."

Aqua could not contain herself anymore. Indeed, she was a dessert type of girl! This delicious sight was much too tempting, sparking absolute joy inside her heart.

"Tsuko, Mana! Let's go grab something to eat," the village girl beamed and almost caught herself drooling. "I didn't know desserts come in so many shapes and colors."

"Let's go."

"I'm already ahead of you two!"

"Wahh~ Wait up, Mana! Tsuko let's hurry before the boys eat them all."

As the entire class chose their selection and started to enjoy the evening, Aqua noticed that Lirin was talking to Onii on the side. They were by themselves.

Then she tasted a bite of heaven. Pure heaven. Instantly, the village girl directed her whole attention to the Shui Princess.

"Tsuko Tsuko! What the heck is in this cupcake?!"

Aqua's eyes rolled back in pleasure at another bite.

"Truffles," Tsuko laughed warmly. "Come, let me show you some of my favorites ingredients. I am sure the chefs can provide a detailed explanation."

♦ ♦ ♦

"Let's have a talk, Onii."

"Yes, Doctor Lirin?"

"Your performance today in Group Simulation Battle."

After seeing Onii nod his head, Lirin started with her questions. Princess Tsuko seemed interested in their conversation and glanced at their direction a few times. But the instructor ensured their discussion would not be heard by other students, using the utility-based spell —「Noise Barrier」.

"A Troll is a Veteran-level monster, usually requiring a team to take it down. How were you able to handle it mostly by yourself?

"I'm a swordsman," Onii replied curtly and bit into a simple double-vanilla cupcake.

While Lirin was showing concern, she was gauging their relationship. Out of all the students, he presented with the most difficulty.

"There are obstacles that an average swordsman should not be able to overcome. For instance, how were you able to block the Troll's attacks? How did you sense its movement in the smokes? The most particular of all — how are you able to slice off its arm in one swipe?"

After a brief pause, Onii smiled and gently patted the sheathed blade resting beside his waistline. Even in a banquet, he seemed to always be prepared. 

"No need to overthink it, Doctor Lirin. The Dojo has trained me to survive in the wild since I was a child. I practiced under Grandmaster and I am sure you have heard his teachings. Besides, having「Katana」helps since it grants me a physical bonus, allowing me to exceed what is considered humanly possible for a brief moment."

Lirin nodded and pondered deeply about the weapon.

Could it be that this weapon was from my Fifth Year Expedition?

It does look similar.

"You received it as a gift?"

"Yes."

"From who?"

"The Grandmaster as a graduation gift."

Lirin was somewhat disappointed when she did not receive the answer she was looking for. It was not that Onii's words were lies. But rather, the jar of negative emotion「Katana」 evoked, causing her to act more emotional than usual.

If everything had been as he said, then she should have no need to worry about her past. 

While being concerned for a student's ability was an important matter, learning to trust and build rapport was another. Without that proper foundation, no student will prosper and attain their true potential.

Lirin regretted how she had handled the duel with Mich, resulting in the expulsion from Temple Academy. He was a bright student. A bit haughty but nevertheless, filled with potential. They had lost a bright student, because of a naive and foolish freshman mistake.

That loss reminded Lirin she was still a novice professor and needed to handle affairs more professionally. Reflecting back, there were multiple ways she could have intervened while satisfying her own curiosity. Perhaps restricting spells in the arena or checking for any signs of other weapons prior to the battle. 

This was a lesson well learned. 

At the very least, she had learned how to proceed from that failure.

"Is that all you need from me, Doctor Lirin?"

Shaking her head, a smile bloomed on her face. Lirin thought back to what the Overseer told her this afternoon.

"I have a proposal for you — are you interested?"

♦ ♦ ♦

Onii was interested in Lirin's proposal — becoming an Instructor Advisor. This position would grant him special privileges beyond the means of ordinary students. Similarly, help build a deeper relationship with the Doctor, which could lead to more insight into Temple Academy.

"Each professor is allowed to have an advisor and my offer is for you to be mine."

Lirin extended her right hand and stated her proposal confidently. Her business-lady appearance only made it more convincing. A subtle charismatic charm enveloped the stern teacher, seemingly drawing Onii in by the seconds.

"You will have access to an arsenal of Modern Weapons and certain facilities such as Firearms Laboratory and CQC Training Site. And all you need to do is conduct research with me or be my errand boy. Either or."

Onii furrowed his brows at the sound of the latter position.

"I would enjoy a hot coffee here and now," Lirin nodded and folded her arms assuredly. "It would be nice after a long day of teaching."

"That's not a problem. I used to walk an hour to buy green tea for the Grandmaster. He always preferred it locally from the farm."

"What do you mean?"

"Sometimes, he craves it before starting the morning meditation. Sometimes, he wants it during Martial Arts training. It depends on his mood but I am sure I will have no problem being an errand boy."

Lirin widened her amber eyes before bursting into casual laughter. That much was surprising as he had expected the instructor to be more formal.

"I was teasing."

"Oh."

"You're so silly at times."

She let out another soft chuckle as Onii did not know how to properly react.

"Still, this must be a tempting offer, for someone who fell in love with「Deagle」."

Indeed, Lirin had read his mind.

Amongst the mass of adventurers, Onii knew only the minority of minority used Modern Weapon. Swindle, a close acquaintance and a Diamond-tier adventurer was known for using a massive customized-cylinder gun that fired hundreds of projectiles in a rapid burst. He understood the devastating power as his weapon shredded mobs of undead like paper.

Onii imagined the possibility of being one of the firsts in the world, gaining exclusive access to a new generation of weaponry. Weapons that could change the art of warfare and ultimately, society as a whole.

"What's in it for you?"

Lirin stared enigmatically into Onii's gaze as her eyes grew keener.

A subtle tension appeared between the two of them.

"A student accusing a teacher of personal desires, that's rather confrontational isn't it?"

Onii realized his wording and bowed his head apologetically. Indeed, he was skeptical but that was not the proper way to address his teacher.

"I apologize. I am simply curious."

"I'll be honest to why I picked you then. While I do want to know more about zeroth-tier magic and your「Katana」, those factors were irrelevant to being an Instructor Advisor. Your skills and knowledge displayed for the past two months fulfill more than the requirements. I have also consulted with my colleagues. Thus, it's not a biased decision."

"I see, you put some thoughts into it then.

"Yes."

"What's your research on?"

"My focus is on people with and without magic. However, I would like to focus on discrimination this year, more specifically how to reduce this century-old tradition of Regular and Potential."

A wave of surprise as Onii felt captivated by her topic of interest.

"Research has indicated discrimination is associated with stress and poor academic outcomes. In a way, the tradition acts as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Regulars think they don't have the potential because of the expectation when in fact they truly do. This means students are setting themselves up for failures."

Her tone grew more fervent and he could see the genuine desire in her body posture. Onii wondered if that was why Doctor Lirin chose to teach the F4 class.

"I believe Modern Weapon is a gateway to reducing prejudice. And I'll need someone who has an interest in using it to make my research happen."

Indeed, that proposal sounded appealing. But Onii had not steadied his feet in this world of school life. The college transition was challenging. As of now, concealing his status as a Hero-tier adventurer and trying to mimic an outstanding student with expert sword skills required a considerable amount of his mental energy. 

Knowing Lirin's battle experiences and sharp insight, it was possible she could see through him if they worked together. He knew that much when she decided to summon the Troll.

Still, this could be the offer of a lifetime.

Onii knew that if he had declined, the next in line would be Shino. Noting how she excelled at the Sniper Rifle, there was no doubt Lirin would choose her as the other candidate.

The instructor folded her arms, which accentuated the look of a mature business beauty. Lirin radiated an air of gravitas. An air of influence and above all, an air of passion.

"Would you like to change Temple Academy with me?"

『 Amae (12/21/19): Typical Amae and the random hiatus. Know that this story will never be dropped, just the classic "fashionably late than never." Current update - working with an illustrator to write a new series (LitRPG) and planning to table at AnimeExpo 2020! Thanks for understanding fufu~』

Patreon Siblings: Adonis, Andrew W., Connor K., Etienne, Jonano99, Logan, Nero Angelo, Ness682, Somedude~ ♡♥

As always, thanks for reading, dear reader! ❣ 

A WHOLESOME READ | JOIN MY SIBLING PARADISE | PASSION ➼ PART-TIME |

14