Duality IV
3.9k 6 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Shut your god damn mouth, you wolf-masked bastard!" Pigsu, a brawny meathead known for his duel-wielding sword and short temper instantly charged forward, leaping from his position and breaking formation.

"Fool! Don't let his words anger you!"

Zenpy extended his arms forward as a mean to signal his only frontline back—

—But it was too late.

Pigsu was too emotional to obey.

With a flushed face and clenching jaws, it was obvious he was upset how Yang had declared his victory in the first few minutes. Throughout the introduction, Zenpy sensed anger building up, eventually overflowing onto his body postures. After all, Yang's announcement was pure disrespect to his ten years of fighting experiences.

He quickly chugged down a few potions and muttered an array of spells —「Greater Dexterity」,「Lesser Strength」and 「Maximum Agility」. His entire body glowed in response to the physical enhancing attributes.

As he was, Pigsu — his body enhanced by various effects — was a warrior who stood near the peak of humanity. The frontliner was absolutely confident in his fighting ability while a savage grin bloomed on his face.

Within the Unpolites, he was deemed as the best duelist. 

While Zenpy knew a strategy was necessary in order to defeat Duality, he stopped himself and watched. That was because curiosity had piqued its interest. He wanted to know if Pigsu could actually stand on his own against the mysterious swordsman.

If Yang truly meant what he said, then this battle would mean life and death.

As Pigsu stepped closer, the masked swordsman stood in a standard drawing position. It seemed like Yang had no intention of moving or dodging the incoming attack.

Instead, he announced:

"Ahahahahaha! Quit bluffing you stupid fool, you'll pay for mocking me!"

"Ahahahahaha! Quit bluffing you stupid fool, you'll pay for mocking me!"

"I wonder who is the fool for acting on his impulses."

"Shut yer trap!「Double Circular」!"

Pigsu raised both of his silvery blades in the air and leaped, bringing it down like a thunderous hammer.

An object sprung forth from the ground near Yang.

Instantly, a blinding light immersed Zenpy's vision and he forced his eyes shut from the overpowering radiance. It felt like gazing directly at the radiant sun. Feeling the intense discomfort, he covered the source with both of his hands.

After a few seconds, the flash gradually disappeared. As his pupils adjusted back from the light, Zenpy's heart trembled. 

Pigsu was sliced in half.

Yang must have attacked during that critical moment. It made sense. The Wolf-Kabuki mask he wore was not simply for aesthetic but offered some sort of blinding protection. This strategy alone indicated that Duality was not the average, naive guild.

Something was wrong. Zenpy's stomach coiled and twisted in sickness as he felt quite nauseated from the surreal view in front of him.

Do my eyes deceive me...?

As soon as Pigsu's deceased body landed on the ground, motes of dark particles spread from his wounds. The black sand decomposed his corpse, like tiny insects consuming its host. While his body crumbled away into nothingness, the black particles gradually vanished up into the air.

No corpse. No blood. No flesh. In a matter of seconds, only his items remained at the place where Pigsu had perished.

How is this possible?

It must be that katana.

Several hoarse cries came from the Unpolites as they stepped back cautiously.

Those were cries of fear.

Yin and Yang's presence was now filled with unimaginable power. This was the first time Zenpy had been faced with such mysterious power. Therefore, he could understand his men's fear. 

Zenpy was a powerful individual himself, a veteran of many battles and had grazed the brink of death countless times. Thus, he could physically feel the might radiating from the mysterious swordsman and magic caster: It was an oppressive and potent pressure. 

Questions filled his mind, wondering the truth behind Duality.

Did Yin cast some sort of magic earlier? When did she do so?

How old was the person beneath the Wolf-Kabuki mask? Was he similar age as Yin?

The two siblings... how are they this powerful when they are only in their adolescents?

"Hm, looks like I overestimated his strength," Yang turned towards to Yin and commented casually. 

The maid nodded, "The dual-swordsman did not bother to check for traps. I am surprised that he was caught off-guard by a simple「Flashbang Mine」." 

"What did you do to Pigsu?!"

King Hurley stood beside him and bellowed out. His voice was heightened, filled with terror and confusion. Having known him for decades, pride was a crux of his personality and losing an elite tarnished that supreme ruler ego.

"I merely activated my weapon ability," Yang replied back calmly.

"I-Impossible! There's no way a sword can make someone disappear like that! You must have used an item or magic spell..."

"I see no point in lying to those that are about to die."

King Hurley bit his lower lips at his remark.

"Is that weapon perhaps a Legendary-tier?"

Zenpy finally spoke at Yang for the first time. 

Throughout his speech, Zenpy analyzed the gears Duality wore using「Enhanced Item Appraisal」. Based on his spell, those items were marked at least above Mythical-tier and each equipment would sell at a fortune, enough for one to retire and live quite lavishly.

What puzzled him was that the other Master-tier guild teams he fought before did not own as many as Duality did. The most logical explanation would be that the Elite Five had lent these to them. Or perhaps the number of weapons the two owned spoke truth to the sheer power. Zenpy silently prayed it was not the latter.

From a looting perspective, this battle had a huge reward. No. Huge was not enough to define the total value of their equipment. This was the treasure of a lifetime. The Holy Grail. Any bounty hunter would throw themselves in the midst of danger for that possibility.

If he could get his hands on all those items, especially that sword, he would be happy for the rest of his life...

I want it.

Zenpy could feel his heart thumping at the grand wish fulfillment.

I want everything... especially that sword!

Yang said in a reverent tone, "It seems you are quite knowledgeable. What is your name?"

The advisor nodded at the compliment.

"I am Zenpy, leader of the Unpolites. After all these years, to think I finally got to witness a void-based weapon in person." He continued to admire at the beautiful blade with a pair of widened eyes. "It must be destiny."

"Then you must know what happens if I were to activate「Sen」's ability."

"Indeed. A legendary weapon that has its own name and completely erases your existence. It's as if you were never born in the first place. What an utterly perfect weapon for assassination. I'm in awe, it seems like you were planning to annihilate all of us after all."

Yang chuckled and brandished his katana deftly.

"Duality never go back on their words."

"Then..." Zenpy's mouth curled up into a devious smile. "I will be taking that Katana as a trophy for killing you."

Before the swordsman could respond, the pillars that supported the throne room began shifting. It rotated as the ground rumbled. Soon enough, stone statues emerged from the pillars and fired volleys of arrows onto Duality.

Taking advantage of the situation, Zenpy ordered his men.

"Yi, Er, San. Defensive formation and keep Duality at bay at all cost. Use all your potions and abilities if you need to."

"Si, Wu, Liu, Qi. Concentrate all your offensive spells on the swordsman, save your ultimate-based spells on my command."

"Ba, Jiu, Shi. Provide covering fire and support. Focus on buffing our defenses and appraise Yin's mana level."

Zenpy's voice broke slightly as he shouted his orders. It was not to raise his men's morale. He was simply afraid of Duality. But at the same time, he was thrilled by the potential rewards if he were to win. It has been a long time since he felt an adrenaline rush of this level.

All of the Unpolites nodded and swiftly followed their leader's command. The rapid change in movement only demonstrated the decades of experiences they had together.

The automatic arrow sentries from the pillars were merely to buy time. Zenpy took a deep breath, preparing for the battle of a lifetime that was ahead. If somehow he could uncover a weakness, then there was a chance for victory.

What is this...?

Yang sliced up the arrows in lightning speed, tracing multiple beautiful curves of the「Sen」's silvery light in the air. The incoming projectiles disintegrated into black sandlike motes as they hit the sword. Meanwhile, Yin concentrated on the offensive. The maid fired back impressive variations of elemental spells at the pillars, disarming the traps and rendering them useless.

Absolutely amazing... The speed. The mechanics. The decision-making. And above all, their absolute trust in each other's role. 

Their combat synergy lived up to the rumors...

There is no doubt these two are Duality — Legendary Swordsman and Elemental Princess.

I need to go all out as well.

"All mage units, prepare to fire your ultimate-based spells on my command."

Zenpy noticed from the corner of his eyes that King Hurley stood frozen in fear. Times like these proved his uselessness. While he excelled at delivering speeches and portraying a majestic social front but beyond that, his magic abilities equivalated that of a Silver-tier adventurer.

"W-what the fuck is this..." He muttered softly to himself, biting his fingernail. Beads of sweat trickled down his forehead. "How is he chopping the arrows...? W-what if that weapon touches me...? And the maid is using spells I've never seen before... What is this madness..."

Zenpy ignored him and focused on his opponents ahead. The two had disarmed last of the pillar sentries.

"On my mark... Fire-!"

"「Fire Binding」!"

"「Prismatic Earth Barrier」!"

"「Water Singularity」!"

"「Final Wind」!"

All variations of impressive 6th-tier spells rained down on Duality.

Yet, even as the barrage of magic lashed against them, the two stood firm, completely unfazed by the colorful combinations of attacks flying towards them. Their calm facial expressions indicated that the two have experienced this sort of battle many times.

Yin raised her arm forward. Multiple layers of invisible barriers instantly appeared in front of the duo, absorbing most of the incoming damage. It sounded like glass breaking as the attacks landed and continued through.

For the spells that penetrate through the last barrier, two of them was about to land—

—Yang made them disappear within the palm of his hands.

Wait. 

What just happened...?

How did the spells vanish...?

"This is a nightmare..." King Hurley turned towards his trusted advisor. His blue eyes widened and face pale. "Tell me... We can win this... right?"

Seeing his acquaintance trembling in fear, Zenpy could not help but feel sorry for his mental state. But the situation was indeed as dire as it appears, if not worse. He still did not understand why the remaining spells disappeared.

"To tell you the truth, the likelihood is low. The fact Yang possess a void-based weapon and Yin could deflect most of our men's spell in one attempt meant their skill level is indeed that of Master-tier... No. Possibly beyond that."

Zenpy stared at him with a serious expression.

"The Void is a dungeon with grotesque monsters that resemble our worst nightmares. It's also one of the many training areas for the top Master-tier who are in promotion for Hero-tier."

The rest of the words were implied tacitly. King Hurley stared back with a blank face and nodded slowly, as if he was trying to process the harsh reality.

"Of course I don't intend to go down without a fight." Zenpy heard explosions beside him, ringing his ear in the process. "I want it. I want that weapon. I won't be satisfied until I get my hands on it!"

The leader of the Unpolites imagined himself holding the divine sword with power similar to an ancient deity. His body could no longer contain the strong desire within him. It was time to use their experimental trump card.

"That is why you must use her. You must use the slave girl so we can defeat Duality!"

Overlord vibes~

41