Duality IX
3.9k 6 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Heavenlight heard faint talking; the sound of the swordsman and magician. It felt like an eternity had passed after being defeated by the siblings. Her entire body was sore and throbbed in utter agony.

How long has it been...?

What happened to King Hurley...?

And the two called Yin and Yang...?

Is it finally over?

Why am I still alive?

Countless questions filled her mind. 

Wanting answers, she tried to raise her arms. But it was no use. Her stamina was fully drained from the Heavenlight transformation, leaving her human self beyond depletion. In fact, she was somewhat surprised that she still had the cognitive energy to think.

Why didn't Yang finish me off?

I don't understand...

I almost killed him earlier...

But why did he choose to save me...?

Lying face flat on the floor, she tilted her forehead off the cold concrete. She opened her eyelids, which felt like a pair of weight slabs.

I hear their voices...

What are they doing...?

Barely making sense out with her hazy vision, the two siblings were sitting back to back against each other — seemingly sharing a special moment. Their golden aura had faded, indicating that the battle was over.

Rays of shimmering moonlight above the cracked ceiling shined upon Duality, making for a beautiful sight. 

She could tell from their action the two trust in each other completely. The casualness in which they leaned against each other, gazing up at the night sky and admiring the endless stars made her somewhat envious. This was the first time she had witnessed this sort of intimacy, especially among adventurers.

That must be love in its truest form...

Although she could barely hear their words, it was obvious from their tone that the two were exhausted.

"...the second time was much more different than the first time..."

"...the aftereffect changed — I can barely move my body, I'm surprised I can still..."

I wonder what they are talking about...

"...It's been a while since we felt this level of fatigue, especially after we tortured..."

"...anything for you, my dear sister."

"...me too, big brother..."

Does it have to do with the magic circle earlier?

GAH-!

Intense pain shot forth inside her mind again as she fell back to the unconscious.

♦ ♦ ♦

Yin and Yang walked towards the slave girl, who resembled closely like a feral animal and cowering with immense fear in her eyes. Yin was glad that the improvisation had succeeded — they saved the Heavenlight slave and won against the Unpolites and King Hurley.

"It's okay, the battle is over," Yin raised her hands and opened her palms, trying to show the girl that she meant no harm. "We won't hurt you anymore."

The slave girl glanced around frantically, probably analyzing the battle's aftermath. Right now, there was only three of them in the vast, ruined hall. Most of the remaining enemies were locked in the dungeon for the time being with the exception of a few.

"You don't need to worry, they are all gone now. I made sure King Hurley and Zenpy will never hurt you or anyone else again."

Probably realizing that the two oppressors were truly gone, her shoulder loosened up while her knees fell to the ground. She was finally free. Liberated from the chains of authority that had bound her. 

Unexpectedly, the girl's eyes teared up. She sniffled and wiped her face slowly.

Yang nodded to his partner, handing her a vibrant-red potion.

"Here, drink this."

Yin grabbed the health elixir and edged closer slowly.

"It'll help with the pain for the time being. You must still be hurting all over right now, we are sorry for being so rough earlier. I hope you understand that we did what we have to do."

The girl nodded and gulped the potion down, like a scared animal quenching her thirst in the open for the first time. A verdant glow filled her body for a brief second as various small cuts and bruises gradually mended together.

Wanting to express her eternal gratitude, the girl leaped into Yin's arms and sobbed. She cried and cried and cried. For some sentimental reason, Yin also felt her eyes trickled up. It was as if the two were deeply connected and Yin felt the pain from her voice.

"I'm sorry... thank you... I'm sorry..."

"There there, you will be okay now."

"I-I'm sorry for everything... it's all my fault..."

"No one is going to hurt you anymore. Everything will be okay now."

Her weeping gradually echoed the throne room. It was as if all the frustration she had pent up inside for years were being released.

Yin hugged her tighter, wanting to comfort the girl the best she could. She hoped that a loving embrace will at least alleviate some of the overwhelming burdens residing in her heart. 

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

"There there."

The girl nuzzled against the crevice of her shoulder as Yin continued to pat her back.

"I promise — as long as you believe in us, we will be there to protect you."

♦ ♦ ♦

Mari and Noa, two members of the Elite Fives, arrived with an entire fleet of government officials and veteran adventurers. A few days had passed since what has been publicly known as the "Temecula Revolution". Duality sat in the main tent, meeting with their contractors to discuss the mission results.

"So you tortured Zenpy and King Hurley and then they accidentally died?"

Mari let out a deep sigh and facepalmed. Like always, she was wearing her signature maid outfit paired with a crimson-red ribbon that tied her hair elegantly. 

"Leaving only the subordinates alive isn't enough to justify a world crime you know. I swear you two are becoming more sadistic as the years go by."

A black-haired lolita girl wearing a large witch's hat placed her chin on the maid's shoulder and purred. 

"It's Duality being Duality. The Council suspected that this would happen when we did agree to dead or alive."

"I know Noa." 

Mari let out a sigh. It was quite an interesting view to see a witch resting her body on the maid's shoulder.

"It would have been more appropriate to leave King Hurley alive so we can trial him in the World Court. Litigation is important for the public when he violated the Emancipation Proclamation, especially when he abused up to thousands of slaves. Now it's a bunch of paperwork and press conferences with the media... ugh, I hate dealing with those manipulative people."

"We'll be fine, we'll be fine. You know I got your back, girl." 

Noa smiled smugly. Then unexpectedly, her voice turned scary and cruel, one that you would never expect from a cute girl. 

"I would've loved to hang him on a notch for the world to see. Ah, too bad being Elite Five prevents me from acting on my selfish desire~"

The sadistic tone was shining through as her carmine lips curled into the widest grin.

"Thank you always for handling these affairs, you're the best, Mari," Yang said gratefully under his Wolf-Kabuki mask. "Although it was quite unfortunate that we lost「Sen」,「Mask of Weilai」and a few other Mythical-tier items."

"Ara~ That's quite the loss." Noa nodded, understanding the detrimental values of losing such rare items.

Yin turned towards the maid and smiled warmly behind her Fox-Kabuki mask. 

"We love you, Mari. Thank you for always being so considerate. You're the best!"

"Don't think the two of you can fly by with sweet flattery again," Mari rolled her eyes and waved her hand. "For putting me through hell, I shall have you try my latest outfits. This time, it's going to be an Oriental Qipao, extreme lewd edition."

"I hope you realize I am only fifteen," Yin let out a sigh of defeat. "But I guess it can't be helped, you perverted maid~"

Laughter filled the air as Noa playfully leaped in front of Duality, scanning the masked adventurers from top to bottom. 

"Duality has earned my respect. The two of you actually withstood against the Unpolites — looks like you weren't bluffing after all. You gave me a good laugh when all you requested was my enchantment on the maid outfit."

"Indeed," Yang replied in a confident voice.

"Hehe~ you really are as strong as you claimed to be," Noa edged closer to the swordsman, placing her fingers on his chest. "Ne~ how about spending the night at my mansion tonight? I would love to see that handsome face behind that mask..."

Noa purred and licked her lips ravenously.

Instantly, Yin flicked her arm away. Noa widened her eyes at the masked magician and giggled.

"Ara~ looks like you are already taken by your dear partner."

Mari coughed, redirecting the attention onto the main topic, "As for the Heavenlight, what are you two planning to do with her?"

"We'll leave those matters to you."

"Wait... what-?!"

"The dojo would not be an ideal training ground since we focus on the combined use of magic and martial skills." Yang said, "And she lacks the latter."

Yin nodded and continued:

"Based on my appraisal, the girl possesses excellent magic potential. In fact, she is an ideal candidate for the Archmage Class. Not to mention, she's a light-attribute user and a Heavenlight. And you know how rare that is."

"Her assets does sound like something out of a fable."

"It is as you say. So if you can use your alumni connection with Temple Academy," Yang nodded at Mari, "That would be extremely helpful. We know that she will flourish there if she learns how to control her power."

"Alright, I'll schedule a meeting with the Headmaster. The rewards are already in your joint bank account. Are both of you heading back to Riverside?"

"Thank you. For the time being, yes. We've used it again."

Mari nodded slowly, understand the implication behind Duality's trump card. She went over and whispered in a concerned voice, "Please take care of yourselves and recover in the meantime. I'll send one of my agents later with a care package."

"Thank you, dear. We'll be back soon. As always,「Message」me when you need us."

"Likewise, see you two soon."

"Later~" Noa waved as her attention was already focused on the paperwork.

Duality nodded, indicating that they were heading for the exit.

"Wait~ what's her name?" The witch asked as she held onto a document. "We need to file it for our report."

The two siblings stopped in their tracks and looked at each other as she waited for their reply.

 Yang scratched his head and coughed, "Um. We will find out right now."

Noa burst into hysterical laughter as Duality left the tent, realizing that they had forgotten the important matter of asking for the Heavenlight's name. The last sentence they heard from the witch of Elite Five was that even Duality have their silly moments.

♦ ♦ ♦

"Now that Mirai is safe under Mari's care, it's time to go home!" Amae exclaimed as the two siblings stepped into an enclosed private carriage. "I'm ready to be lazy for an entire day."

"An entire week sounds more like it, little sister."

"Date night when we get back?"

"Of course."

As the duo made themselves comfortable, Amae leaned closely onto her brother's shoulder.

"That was a close fight with the Heavenlight."

Onii nodded and placed both of their masks inside「Dimensional Backpack」. Despite appearing like a plain brown-bag, the inside could fit any amount of items and freezing it in time.

"This battle just reminded me that life does not go according to plan."

"You're right, no matter how much we researched and try to anticipate every outcome, there's always something we are unable to see. But I'm happy that we persisted through."

Onii let out a deep sigh, "Still, I can't help but agree with King Hurley that we are lousy assassins. I prayed that the Elite Fives will stop requesting us on missions related to assassination or espionage just because we are young."

"I agree," Amae nodded and pressed herself closer to Onii's chest. "I was overly emotional when King Hurley brought her out. Outsmarting our enemies and killing everything that stands in our way is more of Duality's forte."

"I was surprised they did not request an assassination-focused guild team like Twilight Shroud. This felt like the Elite Fives were using this quest to determine if we are eligible for Hero-tier."

"In exchange for one of our trump cards, I say it's worth it in the long run. We'll have to be extra careful with the upcoming quests for the year until the cooldown resets."

"The Elder Lich was right... The aftereffect was completely different the second time. I could barely move my body this time. Even opening my eyes was a big struggle."

"Similar symptoms here, I wonder what will happen after the third time."

"I rather not find out, little sister." Onii chuckled. "I would hate to do something related to espionage and infiltration again, like going undercover as a spy at a school."

"Really?" Amae tilted her head and exclaimed. "I would love to give the mission a try if the opportunity ever comes in the future."

Amae was not sure why the thought of a school life appealed to her. It sounded so nice on the surface level, to be able to take classes, make friends and form memories.

As the duo continue to admire the passing scenery from the window, a comfortable silence filled the carriage for a few minutes. This moment was the break they needed after a harsh battle.

"Big brother, do you think we should retire from adventuring once and for all?"

Amae thought about that moment — she was afraid that her worst nightmare had come true. Although Duality was indeed one of the best guild teams, death always remained a possibility during questing. Because of their superior strength and synergy, she never thought it would actually happen... until a few days ago.

"Maybe someday, little sister."

"Why's that?"

"I don't think I can live with the fact, knowing that I have power and not do anything to help those in need. As long as evil like King Hurley and Zenpy continue to exist, I believe our mission as Duality is not over. Is something wrong?"

"I'm sorry... it's just when the Heavenlight used her laser, I thought I was going to lose you forever. Just watching you disappear right in front of my eyes... I can't even begin to think about what I would do next. Let alone live a world without you..."

Onii patted her head gently. Despite the emotions, this loving gesture always made her feel at ease.

"I'm sorry for not realizing this earlier and made you so worried. Let's continue our Hell Training Session when we are back at Riverside so we can solidify our formation even more. I thought of a few strategies while we fought against the Heavenlight. But little sister, I don't want you to forget this."

Onii's lips beamed into a confident smile as he held onto her hand and grasped tightly.

"Together, we can defy any fate."

Amae felt the bitterness inside her heart disappearing. It was the same phrase that sparked everything. Their siblingship and vow. From the days back at the Dojo to the formation of Duality, this was the exact reminder she needed to hear to feel okay.

Big brother is right... Now's not the time to be selfish.

There are still people out there that needs our help.

"Thanks for reminding me." She nodded and changed her tone. "My dear brother, I'm now in the mood to be hugged for three hours straight, this is so I can fully recharge after that intense battle."

"How about later? In exchange, I will hug you all day long once we are home."

"Even during our date night?"

"If you wish for it."

"Deal!"

Amae exclaimed like a happy child and laid down on her brother's lap. She made herself comfy as the fatigue caught on. Closing her eyes, she felt Onii's arm embracing her body. In her dreams, she hoped that just like the slave girl, Duality will keep moving forward and ultimately, create a better future together.

The blast to the past is obviously necessary to make their future school life much more satisfying! Now then, what sort of adventures await for our siblings?

And if you really enjoy the story, consider joining my harem and/or write a review! Anything is much appreciated you ghosting bakas!

36