Doragon the Half-Dragon III
3.3k 4 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The same pounding beat was heard across the hallway as students hurriedly back into their seat. Within a couple of seconds, a beautiful lady in a daunting white lab coat appeared at the doorway, looking as stern as always. Her overall presence gave the impression of a professional instructor.

"The Disciplinary Committee and I have decided to expel Mich from Temple Academy due to rule infraction — fatal spell usage."

Those unexpected words rang across the room as Tsuko and a few glanced at Onii. His face remained emotionless, seemingly unfazed and disinterested by the news. In fact, he seemed to be in deep contemplation. It was difficult to decipher what he was thinking.

Murmurs gradually filled the room.

"Still, I can't believe someone from the Ael Household was expelled."

"He did use a「Scroll 」, that 5th tier spell could have killed him."

"Woah, this school is really strict."

"Nah dude, I think that's the right punishment."

Doctor Lirin cleared her throat in which the class fell silent.

"I understand the concerns that may arise from his suspension. It was indeed unfortunate that we had to lose a bright pupil over something simple as a duel."

Her amber eyes then flared in an unsettling manner as if she was utterly infuriated over what Mich did.

"However, Temple Academy has no place for students who can't follow simple rules. As the year progresses, there are classes that involve monster hunting, dungeon exploration, and survival skills. Disobeying rules not only increases the risk of danger to self but also to others. Thus, I hope that Mich's expulsion serves as a reminder from this day forward."

After the discussion, the class started with confirmation for the upcoming courses — Law And Ethics For Magicians, Magic Systems and Theory, and The Dueling Process. Now that Mich was expelled, there were a remaining total of eight students in the class, with the exception of a newcomer sitting in his original seat.

What is a Potential doing here? Tsuko thought to herself. This can't be good for us.

The mysterious student had long-flowing silvery hair and vermillion-red eyes. Her school uniform was trimmed in gold, embellished with numerous medals and two elemental emblems of earth and wind. 

Throughout the earlier announcements, she rested her leg nonchalantly on the table and sucked on her lollipop. Tsuko knew that the girl did not care what others thought about her.

"This will be our curriculum plan to prepare for Battle of the Divisions next month."

"Doctor Lirin~" 

The girl interrupted in a playful voice. 

"Where's my introduction? You really live up to your nickname of being the Demon Doctor, considering I was one of the officers who banned your student~"

The instructor paused, eyeing her attentively. For some reason, the air brimming the class turned tense.

"Don't worry, don't worry, I am not here to cause trouble." The girl rose from her seat, alleviating the tension with a jovial smile. "Name's Doragon. 3rd year and I'm currently an S-rank that will be joining your class for the time being."

A wave of surprise swept the classroom. Contrary to her composed facial expression, Tsuko was utterly shocked on the inside. An S-rank, those were the legendary elite students that stood at the pinnacle of this academy. 

What is someone like her doing at an F4 class?

Doragon smiled politely at the instructor.

"I will be attending your class as an S-rank or as the Officer of Disciplinary Committee. It doesn't really matter which one."

"I understand," Doctor Lirin replied coolly. "You can stay as long as you don't interfere with my class."

Aqua suddenly stood up, her face looking timid but filled with a silent resolution. The reticent girl who never talked made an unexpected initiative, which shocked Tsuko and many other classmates.

"U-Um. D-Do you know the S-rank that goes to the Dark Woods to fight monsters every week?"

Doragon let out a chuckle and performed a courtesy bow, indicating that she was the one.

"T-Thank you! I-It's because of you that trading is more accessible at my village. And u-um. We don't need to hire guards anymore... yeah..."

"If you don't train your body, you'll grow dull. And a dull sword is nothing but useless. Don't get the wrong idea, girl with black ponytail, I had no intention to help your village but to merely hone my skills."

"I'm A-Aqua... S-Still... Thank you!" 

She instantly sat back down, making herself as small as possible while her face grew an adorable tomato-red. Tsuko smiled fondly at how pure Aqua was, for expressing her gratitude despite being afraid.

I should be more like her and get out of my comfort zone.

Doragon scanned the class from left to right. It felt like she was silently evaluating each individual and their abilities. As Doragon met gaze with Tsuko, the Princess could not help but avert eye contact.

What is this uneasy feeling...?

There's something wrong with her.

Upon using「 Celestial Eyes 」, Tsuko found something strange about her mana flow. She could not explain it but something deep inside Doragon felt carnivorous, perhaps even maleficient.

"Seems like an interesting cohort, Doctor Lirin," Doragon nodded and smiled with an inscrutable expression. "I look forward to seeing them at the Battle of the Divisions, especially my favorite swordsman."

♦ ♦ ♦

During The Dueling Process, students were instructed to practice firing their spells against the target. Within the arena were various straw dummies. However, these were enchanted so that even after beyond destruction, it would restore itself after class was over.

"When you are firing your spells, focus on concentrating your mana flow," Doctor Lirin commanded. "Casting your spells repeatedly helps build your endurance over time, which is a key factor in increasing the potency."

As for Onii, he had a wooden sword and practiced on the side. Resting beside him was Doragon, musing and swinging her feet nonchalantly above the edges of the railing. Throughout the morning, the S-rank girl had been following him around, ignoring others who tried to strike a friendly conversation.

"Dude, he really doesn't have an element," Ness whispered, firing a basic 10th tier spell —「 Fire Bolt 」.

"Yeah, I heard from my dad that Temple Academy started accepting non-magicians this year." Shen talked loudly, "Did you know in the D-class, there's a 'Robinhood'?"

Jan cried out, "No freaking way! A legendary archer—"

—Doctor Lirin approached the three boys with a demon-like aura.

"Didn't know boys these days love to gossip. If you have the time to chat, then use it to actually do something productive. Ten laps around the arena."

"Yes, Doctor Lirin..." They bowed their head in shame while the instructor walked back to Aqua. Apparently, she was having trouble managing her mana flow, which resulted in Mana Dispersion — spell becoming out of control.

Tsuko continued to watch their interaction, the two seemed to have a fine chat. They did not seem close yet they do at the same time — their relationship was interesting.

Suddenly, Mana leaned in with catlike lips and purred in Tsuko's ear.

"Oh my princess, you jelly?"

Hearing her playful voice, Tsuko smiled politely at the whimsical behavior of her new friend.

"No, it's just he seems so distant from the class. And it's Tsuko, Platinum-tier adventurer."

"Alright alright," Mana let out a light chuckle. "I guess that's what happens when you are special — to the point that an S-rank enrolled in our class and asked him for a duel."

"Why do you think he's not accepting her request?"

"Maybe because there's no need?" Mana paused and scratched her head. "It's not like he will promote out of F4 class if he wins. But then again, he might earn a consideration to be in the S-Squad if he proves his skills against Doragon. Ah! You piqued my curiosity too."

"I think he is hiding something."

"I'm not surprised, especially after the match with Mich. I bet you his swordsmanship is possibly that of a Platinum-tier or even Diamond-tier." Mana nodded in reverence, "I want to recruit him to the Guild but he seems really intimidating."

"I know right," Tsuko and Mana giggled in unison.

"Miss Adventurer and Miss Princess."

Tsuko's heart sank into absolute terror as both of them slowly turned around, finding a demon for a teacher. One could almost say that Doctor Lirin's eyes were literally furious-red.

"If you two have the luxury to talk, then surely you have the luxury to practice. Run ten laps too and I expect you to destroy this dummy by the time class is over."

"Yes, Doctor Lirin..."

The two quickly bowed and joined the boys. Tsuko felt guilty for breaking the rules, especially on her second day of school. She decided she was going to change but this was not what she wanted. To her surprise, Mana giggled.

"Looks like we got in trouble for talking too much haha."

"Yeah..."

"Don't look so down Tsuko," Mana presented a thumbs up. "This is all part of the school experience."

As Tsuko faked a smile and began her first punishment ever, she could not help but wonder in the back of her mind — does Onii have a reason to hide too?

Maybe the two of us aren't so different after all.

♦ ♦ ♦

Dueling with Doragon was asking to be painted a target that says hi, I am a spy. It was foolish. An utter stupid request to even consider, let alone accept or decline.

That was because winning the duel would indicate that Onii's skill level was beyond that of an S-rank, which would obviously defeat the entire purpose of the espionage.

In stark contrast, Onii could try and purposely lose to Doragon in the duel. But he knew that was difficult to do, given how powerful she was. She certainly was no fool either, especially they seem to be similar in terms of combat capabilities. Trying to hold back in a fight while maintaining a fake facade against a strong opponent was simply too difficult.

No. It was impossible.

Doragon had mentioned in a dangerous tone that if Onii held back in the duel, then she would make his life a living hell. Whatever that meant, he wanted to avoid that outcome at all cost, after knowing her sadistic personality.

And if somehow the results fell in-between, it will inevitably spark publicity. After all, it was a fight with the top elite vs the underdog.

Considering all the options, this duel was a one-sided battle in all aspects. And no matter the outcome, Onii would lose something. Thus, he could not answer Doragon's request. Even if she decided to follow him to his class and taunt repeatedly during training.

What should I do?

What can I do?

Amae, what would you want me to do?

"You look troubled, are you doing alright?"

To his surprise, Onii looked up to find Tsuko, the third princess of Shui Kingdom. The left side of her luscious blonde hair was adorned with a pink ribbon, which accentuated her gentle vibe.

"I'm fine."

Onii feigned a polite smile.

"You mind if I ask what's with your relationship with Doragon?"

"I was transferred to her roommate at Celestial Dragon because of the duel with Mich. And now she wants to challenge me to a duel."

"Celestial Dragon?!" Her azure-blue eyes widened in complete awe. It was no surprise that the nobility was already well-affiliated with the school. Tsuko then cleared her throat, retaining her earlier composure.

"Excuse my behavior. But still, I am surprised to know that she invited a first-year... and someone from the Regular. This might be the first time in the history of Temple Academy to happen."

"Although the dorm is top-quality, it's not as good as you think — living with her."

Tsuko must have sensed an apathy in his tone and pressed no further.

"I can only imagine what that's like, seeing how she acted in class today."

"She's worse one on one."

"Doragon can't be that bad right?"

"Well..." Onii thought about the restless girl who rolled in her futon like a baguette last night, waking him up countless time. "I rather not talk about it."

An uncomfortable silence unexpectedly formed around them, dulling the conversation into subtle awkwardness. So much stress was on his mind recently that he had forgotten to try and befriend Princess Tsuko.

"Sorry, I didn't mean that."

Princess Tsuko shook her head, "No, I am sure you're going through a lot right now. With Mich's duel and now having to handle Doragon, I apologize for being inconsiderate."

With a polite smile that made Onii regret his earlier decision, she spoke gently.

"Do let me know if you need help. We as the F4-class should stick together."

There was only kindness in her tone. Even the most frigid ice would melt at how heartwarming she sounded. She truly lived up to be the "People's Princess", because, for a few seconds, Onii felt that he could truly rely on her. 

He wanted to ask Princess Tsuko about his current situation, specifically whether or not he should tell Amae. But then again, they were only classmates. He was not sure if this was something classmates talked about so he stopped himself. 

I can do this alone.

There's no need to rely on others.

"Thank you, Princess Tsuko."

 She held onto her AI, wanting to say something else but stopped herself.

What was she about to say...?

"Call me Tsuko," She bowed politely, "I'll be off now, Onii."

A sense of regret enveloped Onii's mind, feeling he had said the wrong thing. If he had paid more attention, then maybe the conversation would not have ended up this way. 

Thinking back to the Guild days, many adventurers shared their personal stories but Onii never knew how to join in. On the other hand, Amae thrived socially and was an amazing storyteller, spreading the details of their adventures together. It seems like nothing has changed for him since then.

Letting out a deep sigh, Onii forced it into the back of his mind and focused on the main priority.

It was important that he resolve this issue or else — his relationship with Amae would be at stake.

I finally made a Discord! Join my imouto paradise today~ I also made huge reward changes on Patreon! Check it out now yo.

35