How To Make A Friend I
3.2k 15 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Students, we are preparing for the Battle of the Divisions today."

Those were the first words out of mouth after walking in the classroom and placing her palms confidently on the podium. As Doctor Lirin's stern voice echoed throughout the classroom like a resounding wave, she folded her arms and said nothing more. Her amber eyes calmly scanned each person from left to right.

Somewhat surprised, the F4 class merely nodded and the male students murmured in uneasiness.

"I am not ready for a real scenario. You?"

"Nah. I wonder how we will be preparing — Real live targets? A training facility? Monster-hunting in the forest?"

"I heard the Potentials have weekly mock-scrims with each other."

"Don't tell me, we will have to duel against the other F classes."

Princess Tsuko listened to Jan and Ness's mini discussion, which was quite loud. But their worries were justified as she also wondered about the preparation.

How are we preparing for such an important event?

From the childhood days back in the Shui Kingdom, living an independent university life was all Tsuko dreamed of. Having heard marvelous tales from Princess Tsunami and Princess Tsundere, her older sisters had hyped it up for her.

A grand pinnacle experience with a cohort, sharing struggles and camaraderie together. Gradually, each person would learn about everyone's strength and weakness. Without judgment but with understanding. And as the school year progresses, everyone would support one another as needed, overcoming their obstacles as an entire class. Then on the fateful day of graduation, she would look back at those fond memories with a beaming smile.

This was the school life she envisioned.

Tsuko let out an inner sigh.

Why is reality so different from expectations?

"This early in the school year?" Ness continued to babble to his group of boys. "I thought Battle of the Division was after Mid-Autumn Festival."

"Nah bro, she's talking about some sort of practice." Jan shook his head and facepalmed himself, "Probably wants to train us harder since we sucked last week."

Shen chimed in, "I'm still sore from that five-mile workout."

The Shui Princess glanced up from her notebook and scanned around curiously. The outspoken classmates were having mixed feelings but she wondered about the others.

I wonder what Doctor Lirin is trying to accomplish this time.

"Wah-oh..."

The village girl sitting behind Tsuko muttered. Tsuko could always hear Aqua whispering to herself, especially during an exam. Her heart warmed at how adorable she was. In fact, Aqua was not even aware of her inner voice leaking out.

She's so amusing and cute in her own ways.

Glancing at Mana to her right, she scratched her head furiously. It seemed like the Platinum-tier adventurer understood the importance of cooperation in combat, which led to the conceptualization of how the actual practice will work out. Overall, her facial expression did not seem too positive.

The reticent girl near the corner called Shino was indifferent and simply played with her nails. Her long flowing black bangs covered most of her face, often concealing her non-verbal expressions and presence in class.

The uneasiness was understandable and reasonable. As a class, Tsuko understood none of them felt mentally ready. Almost everyone failed their first practical exam. Most of the students could not complete Doctor Lirin's weekly endurance training. Some even had trouble casting their spells due to anxiety or lack of stamina.

Needless to say, everyone was a mess.

A complete mess.

Not to mention, after witnessing Doragon and her display of skills that indicated her status as an S-rank, the class morale plummeted to an all-time low. Her arrogance and slight mockery for the "inferiors" only added water to the extinguishing flame of confidence.

S-rank.

Hm, I wonder what he thinks about this situation.

Next to an empty seat, Tsuko peeked at Onii and saw that he was gazing out the window, appearing deep in contemplation. He had no specific reactions about the news. Behind his distant crimson-red eyes held a mysterious expression, one she could not decipher.

But the vibe that enveloped the swordsman seemed grimmer than usual.

Is he sad that Doragon left?

I wonder if they had an argument.

Either way, he shouldn't have a problem with Battle of the Divisions.

Ever since the S-tier left, Onii became isolated. Withdrawn from the rest of the class. Often sat in his desk during break and ate lunch by himself.

It was not because he acted like an asshole or held a grudge against others. Rather, it felt difficult having a conversation in the first place since he was so unique, as if he did not belong in the F4 class. His mysterious skillset paired with a nonchalant attitude certainly did not help with the assumption.

The complete one-sided victory against Mich. The clandestine knowledge of zero-tier magic. The beautifully-sheathed sword that was「Katana」. The unexpected affiliation with the Fifth Seat of Temple Academy. The relocation to the luxurious Celestial Dragon that was only available for the best-performing students.

And now, the sudden disappearance of Doragon.

So many puzzle pieces.

Yesterday, he had turned down a front-page interview for AI from the Journalism Club with an instant no. Thus, Tsuko could understand the intense intimidation that brimmed around Onii.

Onii is too special.

But I want to get to know him.

"Students, I understand everyone has their concerns."

Doctor Lirin waved her right hand in the air, soothing the subtle anxiety that brimmed the atmosphere. Her white lab coat fluttered to her movement.

"But ask yourself this question — if not now, then when?"

Complete silence.

No one spoke a single word.

Tsuko instantly knew Lirin was employing the power of silence, using the charismatic effect for depth and to achieve the results she desired.

It takes one to know one.

Suddenly, it was as if a ripple of insight swept through others. The dots connected as a few gradually nodded in assent.

"You're all giving yourself less credit than what the situation actually is. Think of it this way — each and every one of you are Temple Academy students. You're all a part of the most prestigious magic university in the world. That is the truth. Yet, you're being so hard on yourself because of this ranking hierarchy system known as Potential and Regulars."

A few more murmurs of assent, specifically from the boys. Onii redirected his attention onto Doctor Lirin.

"Life isn't about ranking. Because it actually isn't. When you graduate and go out in the real world, what people will look at is your ability and how well you are able to work with each other. Ranking means nothing when you don't have the skills to back it up."

Mana let out a yes to that statement. Like the others, Tsuko felt inspiration igniting in her heart, rekindling the childhood fantasy.

"That's why you can't sit around envying other people's worlds. You have to go out and change your own world. The worlds need magicians like you so stop selling yourself short for something as socially fabricated as the ranking system. Work and become the best version of yourself."

Feeling the intense fervor from her voice, the whole class applauded. It was not merely for the instructor but also for the entire class. The applause was like giving each other a pat on the back.

She's a natural teacher.

I am so lucky that I have her.

Doctor Lirin portrayed a certain charisma that moved hearts and it made Tsuko's heart blossom with change. She wanted to become more optimistic. See the glass half-full. Make the best out of this situation. The ability to find positivity in a seemingly hopeless situation was something she lacked but wished to cultivate.

Doctor Lirin's right — I need to do what I can do and not focus on the what-ifs.

Forget about becoming a Potential, if I am here as an F4 of the Regulars, then I will take pride in my position.

As the People's Princess, I need to work harder. For my country. For my family. For the people who agreed to my selfish request of enrolling here.

If I can help reconcile the class, then without a doubt, we can win Battle of the Divisions. No, we will win.

Tsuko glimpsed at Mana and Onii, thinking about their display of skills for the past few weeks. She compared the two to the knights back at the Shui Kingdom, to her personal guardian and to the adventurers she encountered through her position.

Why haven't I thought about this before?

Now that she reflected deeply, F4-class was actually a treasure in itself. A treasure chest filled with potential. After all, what are the odds of having peers like Mana and Onii in the lowest class?

It's possible.

We can win and rise through the ranks.

And once we succeed as a class, Father will finally acknowledge my decision to enroll in Temple Academy. That it was not a "foolish decision."

As the applause faded, Doctor Lirin continued in a stricter tone. Her eyes were keen, offering the look that indicated the practicality behind achieving their dreams.

"With that being said, the training will only become harder. What you invest is what you will receive. This is why we are having a Group Simulation Battle today."

Group Simulation Battle?

"I'll address the specifics later once the morning lesson is over. But you can think of it as adventuring."

"Adventure!"

The Platinum-tier girl brimmed with a wholesome smile. Mana loved any topics related to her field, often raving about it and encouraging others to join.

"Yes, an adventure. But with a technological twist."

The entire class was silent and thought about the implications behind the last word. Even Onii raised an eyebrow.

Everyone knew what adventuring implied. And based on what Doctor Lirin said, Tsuko assumed their upcoming training will contain gadgets that the Headmaster and his science team developed. This means that other grand inventions like AI would be available during Group Simulation Battle.

I heard there's a weapon that can shoot tiny projectiles in lightning speed.

And a small bomb that has a similar ability as「Blinding Flash」.

If I learn how to use those devices, then I can protect myself during Battle of the Divisions against other magicians.

"Since we have eight students," Lirin eyed the remaining class and made no attempts in addressing why the S-rank left. "I will be dividing you all into two groups of four."

"First group — Mana, Ness, Shen, Shino."

Ness and Shen high-fived each other as Mana rolled her eyes. Shino lowered her head and averted her gaze from the rest of her group mates.

"Second group — Tsuko, Aqua, Jan, Onii. The decision is final. No changes are to be made."

Tsuko swore Lirin had a slight grin before returning to her stern expression.

I see what you are trying to do.

This decision could be the result of the class dilemma and that was why she purposefully disperse the existing cliques. Perhaps, it was an effort to increase bonding and friendship with each other.

Let's see how it actually plays out.

"We'll discuss the objective of the Group Simulation Battle after we learn the basics of teamwork. Because you will all be working together. Cooperation is key."

As Doctor Lirin started the lecture, Tsuko smiled. Warmness enveloped her heart. She wondered to herself — was this finally the start of the school life she envisioned?

♦ ♦ ♦

A week quickly passed since Mirai's miraculous intervention. Onii has not seen his little sister since the alleged duel between the two S-ranks. Similarly, after that day, Doragon stopped coming to class to bother him. While the two still shared room at Celestial Dragon, the living dynamic changed astronomically.

Although the Half-Dragon's personality remained relatively similar, she was more respectful to their environment and his requests. Her side of the room was now much better than an animal's den. A few days ago, Onii asked her to stop performing "exotic yoga", she complied and left the room with a scowl.

This was a complete surprise.

When Onii asked about the sudden change in her behavior, she responded:

"Cheh. I lost to that Heavenlight so I have to fulfill the duel conditions. Lucky you, I'm a woman of my words."

"What were the winning conditions?"

Doragon placed a lollipop inside her mouth and shrugged nonchalantly, walking towards the bathroom.

"Secret~"

"Secret?"

"Mirai told me not to tell you or Amae so tough luck, little boy. Now If you will excuse me, I shall indulge in my one-hour shower."

Onii wondered about Mirai's victory condition. But he realized that sometimes, not knowing certain information was the best decision. Being the Second Seat, she must have a reason for the secrecy so it was best to follow her wishes.

Having Mirai here is a major advantage.

Her position could help us gain some new information about the school and possibly about the Headmaster.

After the Journalism Club stops trying to interview me and things settle down, I'll ask for her help.

From personal experience back at the Adventurer's Guild, it was best to follow the system rather than attacking it. Changing social norms was nearly impossible, especially when the traditions were ingrained at the crux of Temple Academy. Thus, Onii had to obey the power hierarchy as long as he was enrolled as a student. To play as the underdog.

Still, I want to do something about it.

I'll wait for an opportunity.

As much as he could tolerate the discrimination, if a major incident like being challenged by an S-rank happen again, history would repeat itself. He was already stressed enough with Doragon.

Onii did not want to think of the results as his relationship with Amae had changed significantly.

I wonder how my little sister's doing.

I hope she's eating enough and enjoying the school life she wants.

I miss her.

Amae was constantly on his mind. Occasionally, emerging during lectures when Doctor Lirin talked about various events he had experience as Yang of Duality.

Like the time when Duality was betrayed in Edgeville Dungeon on the topic of Item Looters. Or stranded in the chilling storms of Northern Mountains when explaining about the Ice Trolls. His favorite was geography, talking about respecting the culture of a small village community which reminded him of their home back in Riverside.

Those fond memories seemed so far away, bittersweet like the fruity drink he was currently sipping on.

"Hey Onii, any plans for the upcoming battle? Your insights as a Dojo graduate would be really helpful."

Princess Tsuko's question interrupted his daydream. On her hand were a feather pen and notepad, acting as the liaison for Group B. Onii's mind was now back in the conference room with his group.

They were together to discuss the Group Simulation Battle.

It was time.

『 Amae (08/03/19): Hiya!~ Your favorite wincest author is finally back from a hiatus. A 4-month hiatus. I truly want to thank all my readers for waiting and want to apologize if it seems like I just peace out. Cause I did LOL.

So what happened?

Life. As always, life gets in the way. A classic response but it's true. I had a part-time job as a karaoke host (in which I no longer work there anymore haha screw them). School. My main focus to become a therapist and that takes priority. And now becoming a second year, I am interning. And I can tell you, becoming a professional is hecking hard. Talking to people and listening to their stuff all day can really get to you. It's absolutely draining physically and emotionally. But I enjoy it. I enjoy seeing people grow. It just took some time to adjust and finally compose myself after the hectic transition.

I never plan to abandon this series nor do I plan to. As long as I live (and don't get isekai into another world), I will update this series. Whether it may be a one week break or a 4-month hiatus, I will always be back. So truly, I thank you for those to be patient with me. It makes me happy to know that my readers are still here. Part of what keeps me going is your support.

A little note is that I made changes on Patreon. One big factor to the hiatus is I decided to give those who support me the access to read one arc ahead. Yes, one whole hecking arc! The reason is that I would like to do writing part-time (I need a job zzz and karaoke host sucks). My hope is to make writing more concrete so I can pursue what I love and be more consistent in my updating.

That's all! I hope you enjoyed this chapter~ It's good to be back (◠‿◠✿) 』

Patreon Fam: Adonis, Andre, Andrew W., Connor K., Jonano99, Logan, Nero Angelo, Ness682, Somedude

As always, thanks for reading, dear reader! ❣ 

A WHOLESOME READ | JOIN MY SIBLING PARADISE | SUPPORT ME |

17