Arc I: Epilogue
11.6k 13 104
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two men and women sat around a circular table, but the four did not look at each other. They were either busy studying the documents in their hands or using their AI devices.

There were two empty chairs, missing the Second and Third Seats.

The basic color of the room's furnishings was a dark, chocolate-brown. It appeared quite dignified as it was illuminated by a bright and warm lighting. The ceiling was crafted into a gentle dome and there was a pair of double doors at the far side of the room.

This was the conference room for the S-ranks.

They were a special class formed by the best students, standing at the apex of the ranking system.

A loud female voice yawned in an unruly manner and interrupted the silence.

She was a gorgeous woman who had a pair of curled horns sprouted from the sides of her head. Her hair was a flowing, lustrous jet-silver that reached down to her waist. Her crimson red pupils were vertically-slitted and filled with a seductive look of delight as she savored her favorite mystery-flavored lollipop. 

She was the Fifth Seat of the S-ranks

She was the Fifth Seat of the S-ranks.

"Where is she? Soooooo late to the meeting!"

Another female voice replied, but her tone was much softer and cuter. Her mismatched eyes, one blue, one red, seemed as adorable and sparkly as the stuffed animal bear she was holding. She was the Fourth Seat.

"Mirai told me she's checking out First Year Orientation, Doragon. She'll be a tad late."

"Someone like her attending an orientation? Rawfy, tell me you are trolling."

"I'm not darling. She texted me this morning."

"Oh ho ho~ Hard to believe that girl is actually taking an interest in something for once."

Knowing their comrade for the last two years, Mirai was never the type of person to engage in any extracurricular activities. Her facial expressions and golden-eyes were always emotionless. Regardless of whether they fought against monsters or criminals, nothing seemed to evoke any emotions.

Besides, it was optional for S-ranks to attend the First Year Orientation.

Compared to the rest of Temple Academy, these elites were bestowed massive amounts of freedom. There were no constricted schedule or fixed classes. They had access to the entire campus and its full utility. In fact, there was no need for them to be at school every day. As long as they completed their weekly tasks, they could do whatever they wanted.

"And Kani isn't showing up again!"

"She's currently on a quest with the Guild — something to do with annihilating the Northern Goblin Tribes."

Doragon let out a chuckle. "I swear. She only shows up to school once per month. Girl doesn't care about her grades at all."

"Well, Kani-chan is trying to be promoted into Hero-tier. I hope she's taking good care of herself and eating properly. You know what she's like when she is focused on attaining a goal."

Rawfy hugged her teddy bear tightly. Because of her short and dainty appearance, she looked exactly like a loli. Although she appeared youthful like a grade schooler, she was almost twenty-five and on her last year. 

"Mirai said that she wanted to meet a Four Attribute Magic user, Doragon-chan."

"Swindle my man." Doragon glanced at the First Seat and curled her carmine lips into a smug expression, "Sounds like you have a twin."

His face had a firm and unyielding expression, as though forged from raw adamantium. The right half of his body was tattooed in various runic symbols and mythical creatures such as a hydralisk and dragon. The bald man who had been silent finally spoked in a deep voice. His calm and confident tone gave the impression that he was the leader.

"Amae. First year. A1 class. Capable of using up to 6th tier magic based on the results of the entrance exam."

The pile of documents Swindle was reading turned out to be the new student's profile. He had used his authority to gather classified information that would unobtainable to other students and even instructors.

"You plan on recruiting her?"

"Too early to make a decision."

"But it seems like you have taken an interest in her." Doragon laid back and placed her legs on the table indifferently. "That means something from you."

"I find her test results intriguing, but it could be beginner's luck. I will be observing the upcoming battle scores, " Swindle glanced at Rawfy and nodded.  "Help me with magic and skill appraisal at the first Battle of the Divisions."

"Ehhhhh, always letting my cute Rawfy do the boring work! Just 'cause she's the only support-based magician in here, doesn't mean you can—"

—Suddenly the doors glided open as a familiar girl stepped inside. Motes of yellow lights trailed behind her like fireflies.

Her hair resembled threads of brilliant sun and it grazed into a side-ponytail off her right shoulder. She twirled her index finger onto the signature red ribbon that elegantly tied her hair together. What stood out the most was the white halo shining above her head. 

"Took you long enough!" Doragon stood up eagerly and pointed at her in a dramatic fashion. "So what do you have to say about yourself, Mirai Heavenlight!"

Mirai sat down at her seat in a casual manner, not paying special attention to the obnoxious Fifth Seat. Her expression was blank as usual, however, one could notice a tinge of sparkle within her golden eyes.

"Is the meeting finally starting?"

The Sixth Seat chimed in as he looked up from his AI device. Polaris was silent throughout the earlier conversation. His short hair was a stunning snow-white and possessed an air of nobility.

"Not until Mirai explains herself."

"Is there a need for such trivial argument? I've got a tight schedule to follow this week." Polaris shook his head and sighed. "Time is precious."

"I believe I told Rawfy to inform you all," Mirai said.

"About the Fourth Attribute User, Amae?" Swindle joined in the conversation. While their interests in the new student may be aligned, the reasoning was completely different.

Mirai studied the First Seat's expression carefully. It was difficult to tell what he was planning.

"Yes. Know that if you decide to perform one of your weird experiments on her, Swindle, I won't forgive you." Mirai scanned across the room and announced, "The same goes for all of you."

"Oh?~"

Doragon's crimson eyes suddenly burst into ardor as if the furnace inside her was suddenly fueled. Being rebellious was her core personality. Plus, as a descendant of the True Dragon Brood, she could feel the ancient primal instincts inside of her roaring in elation at the idea of fighting a Fourth Attribute Magic User.

"Maybe I will, Mirai! Just because you said that."

In an instant, the floating motes of lights above Mirai charged itself at Doragon at a sonic speed. But instinctively, the half-dragon waved her right hand across in a sweeping motion.

A verdant mist appeared and absorbed the entirety of the spells.

"That's my first and only warning." Mirai glared at Doragon who giggled in delight at the face of the sudden attack.

"Seeing how this person piqued your interest, you know I can't deny a juicy treat like that."

As the two bickered back and forth, the remaining three Seats paid no attention to the specifics of their arguments. They would only intervene if the situation escalates to a dangerous level.

"First-time I see Mirai-chan this upset," Rawfy held her teddy bear in the air as an array of 8th tier spells fired in the background. "I wonder who is that new student to her."

"My guess is that this Amae person is important to Mirai," Polaris speculated as he browsed around on his device. "Judging how emotional Mirai has gotten the past few minutes... Oh? Apparently, she has an older brother in F-class. How ironic."

"That's obviously a farce. Haven't you watched today's duel? It's been on the front page for hours now, Polaris-chan."

"I was busy negotiating a trade with the Far East Merchant Society, but let me take a look."

"Weird flex but okay."

Although Polaris could care less about trivial dramas that sparked the duel, he wanted to know what strategies Onii had used to win. As he focused on the recap, Rawfy turned towards to the leader who was watching Mirai, as though if he was carefully examining her irregular behaviors and deducing her inner thoughts.

"What do you think of Onii, Swindle-chan?"

"There's no doubt about it." Swindle revealed a slight smirk. "He's at least an A-ranking with that level of skill. And I bet you he has killed before."

"What makes you say that?"

"He has the look."

Just then, Mirai interjected the conversation.

"I'll make myself crystal clear. If any of you mess with Onii or Amae, I will make your lives a living hell, especially you Doragon."

As the Half-Dragon girl clicked her tongue, the room gradually went silent. That was when Swindle recollected everyone's thoughts.

"Any reasoning behind that, Mirai?"

"I cannot say because of a promise."

"Understood. Then we will leave your personal matters at that."

Swindle started today's meeting with various to-do assignments such as patrolling Temple Academy and monster control in the outskirt villages.

Meanwhile, Doragon felt her entire body shivering in pure delight. Throughout the meeting, she was completely distracted by what happened earlier.

Within the S-rank, she was the only hybrid, utilizing a mixture of magic and martial art in combat. In the Academy, there was no one that could beat her in close-hand combat. Even Swindle had trouble if she transformed into her Half-Dragon form. So the thought of fighting a mighty swordsman in an all-out close-quarter battle shook her very core.

Directly on the opposite side of the bloodthirsty woman, Mirai kept stroking her dainty red ribbon that laid on top of her right collarbone. The silky feel reminded her of the interactions with Onii and Amae that it almost brought her to tears. It was a gift from the incident back in Temecula three years ago.

A sigil that marked the beginning of her first friendship.

A bittersweet memento that reminded her of the tragic past.

And how the two siblings had pulled her from the depths of hell...

...and ultimately, saved her from an inevitable demise.

104