Potentials and Regulars I
24.1k 18 135
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Capital of Libertea stood at the intersection of four borders — Huo Dictatorship (Fire), Shui Kingdom (Water), Feng Theocracy (Wind) and Di Federation (Earth). Within Libertea, people felt safe about their elemental backgrounds since it was a progressive region, free from prejudice and traditions.

There were several plazas and markets surrounding the main walkway. The busiest one, 'Rose Entrance', was a lively boulevard filled with stalls selling food, weapons, magic tomes, and other commercial products.

On the sides, the traders energetically shouted their sale pitches to the customers. The older women haggled with the merchants as they searched for the freshest produce. Drawn by the aromatic scent of the spices, many passersby purchased skewers of barbecued meat and kebabs which oozed with umami.

This rowdy atmosphere would continue beyond midnight, making it one of the most popular spots for adventurers and travelers.

However, it quickly pacified as two Temple Academy students emerged at the entrance. Although there were many that passed by earlier, none stood out as prominent as them. It seemed like the two were best friends, maybe even a couple based on how close they were together.

They carried a large-brown duffle bag, wearing distinguishing black school uniforms. However, the girl's was trimmed with gilded gold. The locals here instantly knew what that meant. It would be foolish to not recognize the regalia of one of the most prestigious magic institutions in the world, especially when it was only a few blocks away.

Based on their uniform alone, it was obvious that the two were talented individuals. For those with magical knowledge, they revered at her magic aptitude based on the embellished gold and the four dashing emblems above her left chest, each representing the elements — water, fire, earth, air — she could use.

The female student was a dainty girl. Her sapphire-like eyes were a gentle yet deep blue while her lustrous midnight-black hair was braided into a cute side-ponytail. Her snow-white skin shone like pearls under the sun. 

What drew the most attention was an air of elegance enveloping each graceful step. Accompanying the maiden's gravitas was her world-class beauty, causing onlookers to glance twice in her direction.

A square-faced girl and her chubby friend stared at the pair, whispering to themselves.

"She's so pretty... Do you think she's a model?" 

"I wouldn't be surprised! Almost all the girls who enroll at Temple Academy are known for their beauty!"

"Look at the guy next to her. Do you think they are classmates?"

"No way, their outfits are different. But just look how happy the girl is, they're probably dating or in a relationship already."

The male student was slightly older than his counterpart. His neatly trimmed, black hair was straight like adamantium and combed back. The Katana he carried at his waist looked exceptionally ornate, decorated with a pair of golden serpents intertwined on the black sheath. 

Despite his youthlike features, he carried himself like a confident veteran. His refined body posture and piercing, crimson-red eyes seemed to indicate years of battle experience.

More passersby began to gossip amongst themselves. 

"Oh my oh my, is it me or are the students getting more attractive each passing year?"

"Grandmama! Shhhh!! Don't say it so loud!"

"I'm just saying the truth, dearie. Didn't you want to go to that Academy in the future? Maybe I should ask them to help you. They seem very responsible."

"Stop it! You're embarrassing me!!"

With the fusion of the two individualistic aurae, even nearby Platinum-tier adventurers could not help but marvel with curiosity in their eyes.

"Look at that blade — the quality and design must have cost a fortune."

"I've never seen a sword as intricate as that one since our joint quest with the Master-tiers. You think he earned it or a congratulatory gift from his family?"

"It's most likely the latter, but the way he looks tells me otherwise..."

Another group of beginning adventurers whispered amongst themselves.

"Do you think they're part of the Adventurer's Guild?"

"I wouldn't be surprised. There are Temple Academy students that do adventuring part-time."

"Then maybe I should try and recruit the both of them."

"Stop! Don't do it, man. Just look at the emblems on that girl's chest. There's no way someone of that level will join our team."

Nearly everyone in the plaza looked in awe, their eyes were drawn to the duo. Maybe it was because they had witnessed a Four-Attribute Magic user in the flesh. Perhaps it was absolutely fascinating to see a Temple Academy mage carrying a blade. Or it was a certain type of charisma they both exhibited — a compelling charm that could inspire devotion in others. 

Whatever it was, they were perpetually captivating.

The onlookers watched the pair gradually vanished into the distance

A few had a hunch that they were destined to be legendary.

♦ ♦ ♦

Onii and Amae ambled inside Temple Academy, glancing around and admiring their new home for the next five years. The entrance was arched in alabaster, one of the most expensive and sturdiest stones in the world. It felt like they entered into a medieval world, suffused with a magnificent and regal feel.

"This school is absolutely beautiful!" Amae exclaimed in awe.

"As expected of a prestigious academy, it's so well-guarded and maintained," Onii commented, noticing the security surrounding the outer perimeter.

"I can't wait to explore around later. Will you come with me after class?"

"Of course."

The siblings felt the air change as they strolled down the main pathway. The nearby campus guards took an extra glance at the sheathed weapon resting beside Onii's waistband.

"Wait inside until everyone is gathered." One of the head guards instructed as he took their luggage. "Your belongings will be inside your dormitory, which will be further discussed during class with your homeroom instructor."

As the two continued, there were casual conversations across the vast lawn and courtyard, with wooden benches and circular-shaped tables lined parallel to the main entrance. Most were already occupied with students who arrived earlier.

"I heard there's a convenience store on campus!" Amae exclaimed in excitement. "I can't wait to try all the bentos there."

"Make sure you don't eat it every day. It's not that healthy for you."

"Fineeeeee~"

The siblings could hear a few male students shamelessly complimenting how gorgeous Amae was and wondered if she had a boyfriend. But most onlookers immediately discerned the primary feature between them: their outfits.

Prior to enrollment, every student knew about the discrimination and was expected to accept it as part of the school's tradition. In fact, Temple Academy enforces the differentiation, stating that the university represented themselves similar to a military-grade academy. 

As a result, the presenting students waiting inside seemed to be associating themselves with only similar rankings.

Seeing a Potential and Regular casually chatting together, shoulder to shoulder, and smiling fondly immediately sparked conversation. Honestly, Onii and Amae could care less about the traditions.

The two decided to rest near a fountain to pass time. A sculpted dragon stood prominently in the center of the crossroad, flowing water continuously from its jaws and down into shimmering ripples.

Dragons were the strongest monster one could encounter in this world. They boasted great physical attack and defense power, boundless stamina and wielded numerous spells.

Therefore, Temple Academy's mascot was a Dragon. A reminder that only the best of the elites were accepted. The quota for first-years was around two hundred out of ten-thousands. Then the admitted were split into halves by their school uniforms and divided by respective magic potential.

"Amae," Onii scanned around for a few seconds and then placed his hand on her shoulder. Compared to his unruly vibe, his voice brimmed with confidence, "I love you."

Most of the guys eyeing her earlier gritted their teeth. Some girls in gold-trimmed uniforms, sitting nearby, yelped collectively to themselves, probably loving a new romantic couple that they could gossip about throughout the school year. While a few boys hoped it was a confession, it seemed quite impossible based on how intimate the two were.

Amae's cheek slightly blushed into a tomato-red.

"I love you too..."

Many hearts popped like balloons as the boys let out a sigh of defeat. But the last part of her sentence halted them in their track. In fact, it surprised everyone who was listening.

"...big brother."

Rays of possibility rekindled but many were still dumbstruck from their interactions. Based on their delicate tone and close proximity, they appeared more like lovers. No, they should be. Yet, here they were, stating that they were siblings. 

"You can call me by my name here."

"Onii..." She nodded and shook her head with a frown, "No, it's not the same. I rather not call you that name."

A few other students joined in, interested in what the commotion was. It was obvious to Amae and Onii that they were being watched by dozens of people. They did not care for the attention since this was quite common for many places they went; they were used to it.

"Alright, little sister." Onii gently patted Amae's head. "You can keep it the same as always."

A glistening look appeared on her face. It was an expression of pure happiness. The corner of her mouth was twitching and she was desperately trying not to let her expression change. But even an idiot can tell that she was absolutely overjoyed.

"Thank you, big brother. I was afraid I won't be able to call you that anymore. Calling you Onii just felt weird. It felt like we aren't close anymore."

Onii laughed, "You can call me anything you want. As long as you're happy with it."

"Understood, big brother!" Amae's rosy-pink lips blossomed into a beaming grin. One could not help but feel affected by the contagious smile. "And about what happened last night, I want to make it up to you."

"What do you mean?"

"You know what happened," Amae's eyes glanced back and forth in a demure manner. "It's embarrassing for me to say it out loud here right now..."

Curiosity filled the atmosphere. The same girls whispered amongst themselves, wondering what happened and then shrieked happily at something that was probably overly exaggerated.

"Oh about that, it's not a big deal. You can treat me to the skewers next to Adventurer's Guild when school's over. It smelled delicious when we walked by."

"Are you sure? Don't you want more than just food?"

"Food is more than enough when it's from you."

Amae beamed from the compliment.

 "You know you can ask for more than that — I like it when you are selfish in times like this."

"Then how about..." Onii pondered for a bit then grinned devilishly, "Let's go to a love hotel and have some fun afterward."

A wave of surprise and shock swept the crowd, wondering how Amae planned to respond to her older brother's suggestive advances. 

In stark contrast to an utter rejection and creeped-out expression, Amae spun around gracefully and leaned backward, collapsing directly onto her brother. He caught her swiftly by the arms, almost as if he had done this countless times before. 

Amae tilted her head, resting her face on his chest.

"If that is what you want big brother, then I shall prepare myself for you."

The crowd was beyond wild at this point, many had widened eyes and opened jaws. Imaginations darted across in all different directions.

"Little sister, you should know that some people here do not know that we are joking," Onii glanced around, smirking at those who fell for it.

"Well, it's their fault for taking what we say too seriously," Amae smiled playfully then leaped back to her original position. "But then again, I suppose I may have gone a bit too far... Or did I?"

Just then, several guards yelled repeatedly across the courtyard.

"Potentials, go left. Regulars, go right. It's time for the First Year Orientation!"

The crowd quickly dissipated but a few remained, curious how the two would say their goodbyes.

"See you later, big brother."

"Have fun in class, little sister."

There seemed to be a disappointment at how the two departed so casually with a quick hug. But to the siblings, several hours apart was not too bad. 

After all, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

But the truth was that Onii wanted his sister to interact with other students.

Normally, when Amae's alone, her physical beauty would automatically attract a swarm of people. It was both a blessing and a curse. Since Onii appeared like a stern big brother, sometimes mistaken as her boyfriend, he was a natural repellent when they were together.

I hope she will be okay.

The guys earlier were Potentials. I hope they aren't in her class.

Onii let out a deep sigh, thinking how it was quite tiring that Amae was hit on so easily. The protective side in him wanted to be there when it happens in class. But another part of him felt like he was overthinking too much and that he should back off and let her enjoy the school life experience.

After all, a little sister's happiness was the most precious thing in the world.

Remember  your little sister will be okay on her own.

Don't be so overprotective. Just focus on yourself.

As he predicted, his little sister was instantly greeted by a group of girls from earlier as she walked away. Gradually, many of the Potentials flocked around her like eager fans, wanting to introduce themselves.

"Hey, hey, is that really your brother? Or is he your boyfriend?"

"Wow, you're such a great actor! Why did you decide to prank us?"

"You two must be really close! I would totally feel grossed out if my brother ever said those things to me."

"What class did you place in?"

Onii silently smiled to himself at his social butterfly of a sister. He prayed with all his heart that Amae would enjoy her school life, filled with good friends and cherished memories. After all, it has always been her dream to experience a normal school life.

For himself, the thought of having that similar experience sounded pleasant but he did not care too much for it. A sister was all he needed. And as assigned by the Elite Fives, his main priority was to uncover Temple Academy's secrets, with Amae investigating in the Potential side and him on the Regular.

Onii drifted off into a pensive state. But, little did he know that by the end of the day, his name would be infamously known to all of the students. 

135