============== Volume 1 : Afterword ==============
180 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi everyone!

Waurpel here!

With the first volume wrapped up, I wanted to take the occasion  to introduce myself and thank you all for following this story!

I have been writting stories for a little over 10 years, but My Quiet Life is the first story I have published after much hesitation!

Last year, in the midst of the *wonderful* global circumstances, I decided to actually try my hand at publishing something.

I spent about 4 months working out what I wanted to write. I've always been drawn to more down-to-earth and "mundane" issues, but after several months of isolation, I really needed some escapism which ended up in the creation of my character Silika.

She was my complete opposite. A young girl from a fantasy world, full of energy, confident, mouthy and impatient, but also relatable and cute.

I knew from the get go that her life wouldn't be easy, because a protagonist's life never is, but I wanted it to be something that people would be able to project on and reflect. Something down-to-earth and mundane like I love to write.

I thought about my own struggles at the time. Feeling stuck in my house, my carreer and my life. But how does a bubbly girl in a fantasy world could EVER feel stuck? What finally clicked was the fact that "mundane" is a relative term.

One of my sibling is about to graduate from high school and I learned that, despite his best effort, he wouldn't be able to go to university or even college due to his learning disablities.

It made me realize that, while I breezed through highschool all the way to graduate school, some people will never make it past their high school diploma. Not because they're stupid, but because their mind or body gets in the way. It could be dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADD or OCD, but it could also be a bad health which prevents you from going to school or simply bad eyes that prevents you from seeing the board properly.

The potential roadblocks are infinite.

At first you'd think "Well you can treat it or learn to manage it"... But could I?

If school hadn't been easy, would I had gone to grad school? Would I have pushed myself? More importantly, would the people around me been able to support me to get through these difficulties? Would my parents have helped me get diagnosed and paid for my medication and school helper? Would my friends have helped me take notesand would my teachers have been cooperative?

It is so easy for my mundane to become impossible to other people, and I wanted to tell that story for all those who struggle and feel misunderstood!

Well thank you for your time! The story is still not perfect and will be reviewed MANY more times before I trully consider it done, but I take the achievement of finishing the first draft of the first volume with pride!

I hope you're enjoying Silika's journey as much as I love writting it!

See you all soon!

-Waurpel

 

6