Chapter 5.2: Blooming Love – Harold PoV
98 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After today's work, I take a bus, and now I'm on my way home.

As the bus moves, I see people on the streets living their daily lives.

A black-haired woman is carrying her child in her arms, a salary-man is talking on the phone while walking, a couple is strolling holding hands... Dominus City surely is peaceful.

People surely have their own struggles, problems and everything, but... You know what? Sometimes I think that's the beauty of our existence. Of course, when happens to us, we can be sad, angry or happy with these struggles, but when we look back at the past after everything already happened, sometimes is almost laughable.

For example, I can't imagine how those people I just saw are piled with troubles. Maybe they have debts, maybe illness... But they show a face that sounds so calm...

With that kind of thinking in my mind, the bus proceeds on that asphalt.

I get off the bus and in a few minutes I reach home.

Me and the kids live in this apartment. Kitchen, bathroom, living room, and 2 bedrooms. You can say it's common, but at least it's something I own.

The two share one bedroom, while I have one for myself. It makes me feel a little sad for Vincent since he basically can't have mags for... research. Surely could make a troublesome situation with her. But he says to be happy this way since he can spend time and talk constantly with Jenny. It's kinda funny to see Jenny's cute and delicate stuff mixed with Vincent's normal and practical things.

I open the entry door, taking off my hat.

I see Jennifer with two of her friends. They're going to stay here tonight since Vincent will come back tomorrow. One of the girls has short blonde hair and tanned skin, wearing a white blouse with bluish pants. The other girl is a brunette using a greenish top and a white skirt.

—"Hello! I'm home!" I say while removing my coat.

The 3 girls look at me and wave their hands, answering with a "Hello!" back at me, with a common yet happy tone.

I already talked with their parents telling them about this sleepover, so I don't think I'll have to worry about problems for today. I'll just prepare dinner and let the girls have fun.

After I changed clothes in my room to put something more casual, I go to the kitchen. Since the kitchen and the living room are connected, I hear their conversation while I start to wash and cut some vegetables.

—"So, any of you watched that actress on the TV yesterday, at the night show?" asks the blonde girl.

—"Ah, the one from that soap opera, right? I saw. She was wearing such a beautiful cardigan... Sally, buy one for me." Replies the other girl, with a depressed and a little bossy tone.

The other girl let out a chuckle and retorted her friend while I put some slices of pumpkin, potatoes, and spinach in the cooker.

—"I just started work this month, idiot. So, what I wanna talk about is, you heard what she said in that interview about her work?"

Jenny speaks first, raising her hand.

—"Ah, I heard! She told how in her type of work, depending on the role, sometimes the personality of the character can overlap or even conflicts with the person who acts. Like, she has to do something acting that she as a person would never do! It's crazy, but also awesome at the same time."

The girl nods and continues her talk.

—"Yeah, it's really odd. But at least is something agreed beforehand, so they can deal with those situations since the beginning."

Jennifer makes a questioning face for a few seconds and asks as if she just realized something.

—"You're thinking of being an actress, Sally?"

—"Ah, yes... I was considering it. What do you think, Charlotte?" She answers and questions the other girl, a little shy.

Charlotte looked at the girl for a few seconds a little confused, and after some time thinking she asked in an understanding tone.

—"Ah, you're worried about that?"

When the girl hears, she gets all red and with an embarrassed face, but stays quiet. She's looking at me as if worried about something.

It's something I can't hear? Haha, these lasses, they're young, right? They surely have their own secrets. I should've let them talk in a reserved space. Well, let's correct this.

—"Jenny, why don't you go with the girls to your room? I need to arrange a few things in the living room."

—"Ah, sorry uncle. Sally, Charlotte, can we?"

The two girls nod and took their bags, going to the bedroom.

Before they start walking towards the room, I finish putting things to cook, so I can resume hearing them.

—"Now that you said, you share your room with your brother, right? Where's him? I wanna see how he looks." Charlotte asks.

Jenny gets red, and with a slightly angry tone says to her.

—"Muuuu, you too? The other girls keep asking me about the way he looks. He's very ordinary just so you know. I think there's a picture of him somewhere in the room... In any case, you girls should stop asking about him. You're after him too?"

The girl gives a half-laugh, and murmurs something that none of us can hear, then answers to Jennifer.

—"(It's because you talk about him every day, Jen.) Ah, sorry, you don't have to worry. If someday I ever get interested in him, I'll ask for your approval first."

Sally starts to laugh and tells Charlotte.

—"Ah, c'mon, our friend just don't wanna someone stealing her brother from her, right Jenny? It's not that you have this kind of approval thing." She says while puts an arm around Jennifer's shoulder.

Haha, they're close indeed. After Monica died, their bond grew considerably.

With both parents absent, they could only rely on themselves to stabilize each other's hearts. I tried my best to fill the place the two needed, but I was a guy in my 20's who didn't have any experience in parenting since I never had any kids. Still, I couldn't let two children deal with the sadness, grief, and sorrow of that situation alone in life. It is too much for any person, who can say for kids at that age.

I promised Monica to take them, so she could have a peaceful afterlife, even if I knew I wouldn't do a good job.

Sorry for being such a useless brother, Sis. But the kids are fine, I'll try my best to not let them suffer anymore.

Ah! They already went to the bedroom.

Hmm... It'll take some time until the food is done... Even if I said that before, the rooms are clean...

Sis,  can you forgive me for peeking a bit of your little girl's daily talk? I'm sorry, the curiosity is inviting me. I just wanna hear what that girl didn't say before.

I move close to the door, the most silent I can be. Putting my ear on the door, I try to listen to their conversation. After a few minutes talking, they reach the part I was waiting for.

—"So, what were we talking about in the living room?... Ah, the interview, right? So, Char was saying that you had some worries?"

Based on the voice, I think that's Jenny.

—"Errr... It's nothing."

Well, that must be Sally, the blonde one. From her tone, she's probably shy and embarrassed.

—"Don't worry, you can tell her."

Hmm... that's a different voice... That must be Charlotte.

—"Ah...It's about the last part of the interview... she used some examples that left me a little... Thoughtful. There are things like, eating something you don't like, or... even kiss someone you don't like."

The girl answers.

Hmm... That's true, but this is kinda known by people, right? We see this on TV and everything...

—"Well, that's just in romance or the likes, right? That's your worries? Kiss another person?"

Jenny says while I was lost, thinking to myself.

—"Not really... The problem is... You see, Me and Char... We're lesbians. So the idea of kiss a boy left me a little... conflicted."

Sally replies to Jenny.

Haha, I almost feel like laughing. Oops, I can't, I must be noiseless.

She was afraid I was going to say something? Or she just didn't want talk? Guess I'll never know.

Society really changed, huh? When I was young, surely it was a time when some people would make a fuss about it... For example, "You're being a bad influence for Jennifer!" That kind of thinking was common. Surely this mindset still exists, but at least I'm not really on that side. And fortunately, we even got laws to create a better space to welcome this thinking.

If Jennifer says that she likes a girl... What can I say? I can't think of a situation in which she couldn't love a person... She's free, right? Surely must be something that Monica would want. —"Let her be free in the relationships subject, Hal." she would say.

Well, that's too much for me now.

AH! The food! I almost forgot!

I go back to the kitchen.

Phew! Thank god, the food is fine. Haven't burned yet.

I put the plates, the cutlery, and some cups since we have some juice in the fridge.

After a few minutes, when everything looks fine, I go to the room and knock weakly the door.

{Knock, Knock}

—"What is it?" I heard this voice from the other side of the door. The one who says is Jenny. 

—"Dinner is ready, when you finish your talk, please come eat. Don't forget to wash your hands."

I tell them, and going back to the living room I wait for another peaceful dinner.

Right, Sis?

0