Fixing A Hole – 30 – Walk into the light
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Frank

 

It was his fifth trip in between (and trip was certainly the best word for it) and he had yet to get used to the experience. Sure it had been less than one trip a year, but still, it was freaky and haunted his dreams for months each time. And he was always afraid he’d lose the tether and get lost, maybe he would, maybe all of them would. They’d found a lost child only once before, two years ago. Not a good percentage, really out of five.  But broken people end up in broken places, and the only way to do this better was to learn how. 

And They desperately needed another win.

He held on to Gary’s arm, as well as Benny’s as they stepped to the edge of the lake. The surfaced didn’t appear particularly stable, just rippled of multi-colored light above the water. But somehow the surface held. Hopefully whatever was responsible this wasn’t going to turn off the lights when they got halfway to the hole.  He did not want to end up in the water.

Frank took a step and his boot landed on something solid, mostly, sort of like steeping onto a rubber mat. There was something electric in there, though.

But it was the job, and despite the terror the first time around, he never lost the nerve to do it again when the need arose. And he trusted the others. He had to. They were the way home.

Frank chuckled. Yep, quite the team-building exercise after all, just not what most people are forced to do.

So they walked, Gary in tow, not at all struggling any more. He guessed they’d finally got it right this time. Or Gary was just more stable, more distanced from his entry experience than the others they’d dealt with. Ten more step towards the lights. They were still over the water. He briefly looked down at the dark water reflecting the lights they were crossing on.

“Remember how to get back?” Benny joked.

“Don’t even say that,” Nora complained. “You know what it’s like in there.”

“Sure,” Benny replied. “Always turn left.”

“Jesus,” Frank forced out. Nothing ever affected that guy. They were close now. Gary was tensing, but he wasn’t trying to back out.

And then they were in. And everyone else faded into the light. So much for a hoped for shared experience. Maybe next time.

*                              *                              *

On entry, lights were like a spotlight that kept on changing colors, strobing. It was a crazy thing, certainly, but this time it wasn’t quite as vertigo inducing as the first couple times. Crossing was starting to get familiar.

Walk into the light, Frankie boy. Walk into the light.

And then he was back in the forest. Well, not exactly the forest he left. It was a hodgepodge, old, new, colorful and even cartoonish with some of the trees like pencils, like giant nails. That wasn’t much of a surprise, given the nature of interstitial reality. The lights were meant to attract children after all. And maybe the child in him as well.

Frank looked around for the others.  Nope, not a one. He was alone. That wasn’t a surprise. Only once or twice had another of them come to the same path as he did. It wasn’t as if their inner lives were anything like his. Still, he stiffened with anxiety at being by himself again, in this place. Sure, there were no bears or other regular natural beasties in this place. There would be other things. Gary hadn’t been afraid of the place for no reason.

A balloon floated past him. He cringed. Painted on its face was a horrible image seemingly drawn in blood, a monsters face with massively sharp teeth and eyes that looked right into his soul.

Out of a universe of sight and sound and into a universe of mind.

They’re only as real as you want them to be, as you allow them to be, Frank reminded himself. Or, what had Benny told him he said to himself every time. Funny about that. Benny tended to be right more often than not.

He started humming.  McCartney again, Fixing a Hole, it was a good anchor, brought Frank back to who he was, grounded him.  I’m painting the room in a colourful way, and when my mind is wandering, there I will go... That snapped him out of it.  Frank glanced ahead, then back. Which way down the path did he go?

Forwards, he remembered how it worked for him, you always had to go forwards. Then he started to make his way down the path. The candies that made up the surface of the path crunched audibly underfoot. It wasn’t long until another disturbing balloon passed by, and Frank did his best to ignore it, look away, let it pass.

Then he realized he wasn’t alone. A twig snapped behind a tree. Then there was a sound of a fart. Not just a short pop, but a long almost musical refrain.

He wasn’t alone after all. He would never be, really, never could be for long. Not here.

“Come on, I know you’re there,” he said as calmly as he could. “Don’t worry. I brought licorice. You know I always bring licorice.”

0