Fixing A Hole –35 – Find Your Own Enlightenment
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ephram

 

Messages began to pop up. Of course the would. His Columbus office been busy, not to mention the others on their tasks, missions, operations.

He tapped the contact for Esperanza Flores first. She answered it on the second ring.

“Ephram? Where have you been?” she asked, sounding more annoyed at him than usual.. “I’ve been trying to reach you for two weeks!”

“I’ve been a little out of touch,” he replied. “Off the grid.”

“For two weeks?!” she wanted to know. “Where did you go that put you off the grid for so long?”

Had it been that long? Two weeks? He certainly didn’t feel like he’d been there that long, but then again, time moved differently depending on … things. Best he rehydrate and get some food in his stomach. His dirty clothing did feel a little loose, baggy, a physical cost to his experience. He’d passed a diner on the highway before he’d turned off onto this road. The sign had read ‘Best Sweet Potato Pie in the State!’

Mmmm.

“Everything is good now,” he said. “And I trust things went well on the recovery mission? And the post?”

“All according to plan,” she replied, sounding like she was smiling, proud. “We’ve been conducting reviews since. Some interesting data coming in.”

“How does it look?”

“Some issues, but nothing that can’t be dealt with in the short term,” Esperanza told him.

“Will Mr. Bellamy be staying on?”

There was a pause at the other end.

“He seems enthusiastic enough about the mission, now that he knows what it is,” she finally replied. “And the trip may have unlocked a couple useful new skills he’ll be able add to his resume. We’ll know more after a few interviews”

Ephram nodded.

“Keep a close eye on him,” Ephram instructed. “Let me know how his trial period goes.”

“You’re not returning, then,” she asked, sounding disappointed. “There’s something else.”

“What?” he asked.

“The French finally came through,” Esperanza told him.  She didn’t sound happy though. “Tasmin’s flying back Tuesday.”

“That’s good news, isn’t it?” he asked. “What about Dr. Burnes?”

There was a pause on the other end.  The phone pinged.  Its battery was almost dead.

“He didn’t’ make it,” she finally answered.

“What happened?” Ephram asked. “Didn’t they say he was alive?”

“I don’t know,” Esperanza said unhappily. “We probably won’t find out until Tasmin gets back.  You should be here when she does.  She didn’t sound good on the phone.”

Ephram let a breath out.  Then made the decision.

“I’m still looking for… a few things,” he replied. “I’ll be back when I’m done. I’m sure you and the others can take care of her.”

“How has your... journey been going so far,” she asked, sounding a bit worried now.

“I’d say so far a little on the disappointing side,” he replied. “But I have a few more locations to investigate. Though, I can’t say it has been a complete waste of my time.”

“Good luck then,” she told him. “I’ll let you know how things go.”

“You do that,” he replied, then turned off his phone. Its battery was just about dead anyway.

Ephram gazed down the country road. It would be a hike to the car, and then a long drive to the hotel. He certainly needed to get cleaned up. The thirst was starting to hit him. He checked his pockets. The keys were still there. He’d left bottled water in the trunk. That would be enough for now.

As Ephram walked he passed the sign he’d encountered on his way in. He’d brushed enough of the dirt away thought it was a good omen.

‘...Find Your Own Enlightenment?’ had been all that was left legible on it.

He chuckled.

Turned out his own Enlightenment wasn’t quite what it had been cracked out to be. But there were several other locations which held different Enlightements. Perhaps one of them would turn out to provide what he was actually searching for.

One had better offer him more than this one had.  He was running out of time.  They were all running out of time.

 

 

***

Thank you all for making Call it a Mission one of my popular series here on RoyalRoad.com!  This has been the final chapter of Fixing a Hole the intro story to the series.  I am hard at work on the next installment, in which the employees of the panantine and Co. investigate the appearance and re-appearance over several decades of a figure on a Lake Erie Beach, and whose team now includes Tasmin, Nora's sister who has returned from Africa with her own story.  Ephram, their employer also finds himself in some peril as he continues to seek out the Enlightenment he is desperately hoping to uncover.   Things are about to get even stranger people, so buckle up!

While you're waiting, I recommend checking out my other series here, including: Dispatches from the Inter-galactic, and Up in Space, a pair of decidedly weird scifi comedy series set in a similar yet not entirely different galactic settings featuring some very messed up aliens, Stepping Through, a fantasy time travel series with a very similar tone to Up In Space in many ways, 23 Pangbourne Place and Call it a Mission two very different satircal urban fantasy series, scifi series, Defending Mars and The Promethead, which fall in the science fiction genre and even the fantasy adventure series Black Cloak White Art if you are into magic and conspiracies.  

 

Call it a Mission

will continue in a week with

Echo Beach

0