Chapter 40: Onward to the Coast
255 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Traveling by wagon is slow and boring. I’d already come to that conclusion on the escort quest I’d taken. I had also decided that I’d never take another one. However, while I wasn’t on a quest, I was still unable to travel at the faster pace I wanted.

I also found out that carts make Fran motion sick. But only in catkin form. As a cat, she was fine, but if she took on humanoid form, she started turning green. No idea why. When offered a choice between the villa, or traveling as a cat, she chose to stay with us. Apparently, if she was in the villa alone with Alfred, he tried to make her work in the gardens, which she disliked.

That is how she came to be passed around the group of travelers in our two wagon caravan. The women even let the men take turns, since she was a cat, and not a little girl.

I felt a slight nausea from time to time, but never bad. I’d never liked long trips, because while it wasn’t bad, I do get slightly car sick. Fresh, flowing cool air makes it bearable. It was winter, so the air was plenty cool. I was grateful my armor came with temperature control.

The others were huddling in warm clothes and cloaks. They moved around when we took breaks, warming up their bodies. Fran was fine, not minding the cold one bit.

The days flew by, since nothing really exciting happened. We traveled during the day, stopping to let the horses rest occasionally while the others warmed themselves up. At night we stayed at an inn if we’d made it to a town, or camped if we hadn’t.

We might have used the villa, but we were traveling on one of the main highways, so there was a reasonable amount of traffic. There’d have been far more had it not been winter. Also, because the campsites were sometimes shared with others, disappearing for the night was a no go.

Fran and I were still being passed around the women of the group as body pillows and being spoiled. I’d come to rather enjoy being spoiled. While they may treat me as a child with their actions, but still treated me like an adult when it came to decisions and discussions.

I had intended to pull the gacha once a day, but kept having so much fun, I’d been forgetting to do so. I only wound up pulling it once on the journey to the coast.

C Apple
C Blanket
C Ant Carapace
C Stat Potion: DEX +2
UC Experience Stone: Cave Spider
UC Sturdy Boots
UC High-Steel Ingot
R Experience Stone: Corrupted Dryad
SR Stat Stone: STR +3
SR The Burning Lariat
SSR Holy Water Magic Tool

The experience stones were nice, but I gave the Cave Spider stone to Fran to boost her levels along with the stat stone. Alfred received the Dryad stone. I ended up using the Wyvern stone finally. It took five days to release all the stats, raising my level to eleven. My levels were going up slower than the first time, but I knew there were reasons for that.

Of the other items, I was really only interested in the last two. Everything else was shoved into their respective categories for later use or disposal. I inspected the fun looking items.

[The Burning Lariat: A whip enchanted with the fire attribute. If the owner fills it with their mana it will burst into flame. The more mana, the hotter the flame. Does not affect the wielder. Length can be directed to grab onto or release things at will. Reduces mana cost of Fire spells by 25%. Increases mana cost of Water spells by 25%. It is enchanted with size and length adjustment, auto-cleaning and auto-repair.]

The whip would be great if I needed to climb up something. I’d be able to send the end out to grab onto something, or climb down it and then make it release. It sounded awesome. I also had a weird idea, so I tried it out the night I got it. I made an oven. It heated everything easily. It was very amusing. Not the oven, everyone’s faces as I used a valuable magic weapon as a cooking tool.

The other item was less amusing.

[Holy Water Magic Tool: A magic tool developed by a priest to easily create Holy Water from regular water. It takes a large amount of mana and control to operate. If not operated properly, the liquid produced will be normal water that tastes good. The creation of this tool is banned, due to the materials required to make it, except in the rarest of circumstances. Possession of the tool is not illegal, but will draw the attention of the Knights of the Temple to investigate. All legally produced tools are marked with a serial number and tracked, if possible.]

I could make holy water with it. The water had a variety of benefits, depending on how it was used. Alfred was happy for the tool, since the water had a tremendous effect on plants, making them grow faster and stronger.

The reason I wasn’t as happy about it was because the method for creating the tool was evil, even though it was a priest who invented it. It required the death of many people, taking their life force and spirits into the tool. It didn’t do anything to the soul, so those killed reincarnated, but I still couldn’t view the item in a good light.

That did not stop us from using it. Holy water used in cooking added a slight buff to the food, depending on what was made.

I had issued an edict that it was to never be brought out of the villa. We couldn’t risk being caught with it, since there was no serial number.

---

After ten days of traveling, we finally reached Traisea. I was so glad to be off the cart. Fran was too, having taken catkin form for the last bit as we entered the city. We went to the base the dragonkin had in this city. They traveled to other places to do business, but here they had a store, and it was a large one.

Gydrin was the company’s president, which didn’t surprise me. His wife Nyrrel was his right hand. They unloaded the items they had bought in Nanris to be sold in this city. While a few of the merchants would come back to Dreqai island with us, they would not. As soon as our wagons entered company’s grounds, he was swarmed by people with questions that required his decisions. He and the other merchants disappeared to different parts of the building, though a pair ran off towards the docks to see about securing us berths on a ship for the island.

The fighters and us were left to make our way to the rooms set aside for guards and guests. I did catch a few people looking at me. They must have noticed the scent the others said juvenile dragonkin gave off. That was so annoying. Even my armor’s auto-cleaning function didn’t get rid of it. At least it was only dragonkin who could smell it.

Fortunately, not everyone reacted. There were members of other races employed here as well. While Dreqai Island was the territory of the dragonkin, that didn’t mean that only their race lived there. Their capital city had plenty of the other races, though the smaller cities, towns and villages had fewer.

We had arrived at the city a little after lunch time, but because we had been so close, we hadn’t stopped to eat. That was why as soon as the others dropped their gear in their rooms, we headed to the cafeteria to eat.

Most of the residents had already eaten, so there were only a few people there. Of them, only two came to greet us. A man and a woman. They were equipped with armor and weapons, so I guessed they were some of the store’s guards.

“Hey guys, welcome back. How was the tournament?”

“I won.”

Qevru was usually short on words, and so instead of bragging about it, just stated it simply. It was Jadd who took it upon himself to describe the highlights of the tournament. Starting with me. Leave that for later! Food is more important.

As Jadd stopped to talk, I tugged Ierva onward towards the food. Even if he wanted to talk, I wasn’t interested right then. I was hungry. Since I was a shorty, Ierva helped me collect my lunch, then we found a table to sit at. Jadd kept talking. The people he was talking to gave me interested glances. He better not be telling them my secrets.

The lunch was simple, but filling. Some kind of meat that tasted like beef, but somewhat different than usual, mixed vegetables, and bread. The bread was a little crusty, but it tasted good. Would probably go great with a stew.

Eventually Jadd’s friends had to head to work so he collected his own lunch and joined us.

We focused on our food, since lunch was late, and we didn’t know how long we’d be in the city. While the chance was slight, we might have to leave today. We didn’t.

The next ship to head to Dreqai was leaving the day after tomorrow at dawn. We had the rest of today and all of tomorrow for exploring the city. Yay! New places to poke around, more shops to explore!

I hurriedly finished eating, then stood up, ready to head out. The others laughed at me, telling me the city wouldn’t run away. Maybe the city didn’t but I only had a day and a half in this city, and I wanted to see as much as I could. Fran was also excited. She was a curious kitty.

After everyone had finished eating, we headed out. Not everyone, just us girls. Well, maybe the guys were going places too, but not with us. Today was going to be a girls day! The expression on Jadd’s face as we walked off made me giggle. Too bad, foster dad.

We headed to one of the markets, browsing the wares, and occasionally buying something. I wound up with a pretty pink hair accessory that looked like a flower, but was made of metal. It matched the outfit I’d made my armor into. Fran got one in white. We kept going. I picked up some interesting looking items, and bought a few baskets that looked cute. You never knew when you’d need a basket. They were useful for collecting things.

One of the items I found in a junk pile was dirty and disgusting, but was a terrific find. I only used a rag to touch it until I could get it cleaned off.

[Belt Buckle of Speed: A buckle enchanted to increase the speed and footwork of the wearer.
+20 DEX
+20 AGI]

I was going to have it attached to a belt for Fran. It had a cat motif, which made it perfect for her. We needed to get her some good armor anyway. She had some basic stuff, but it wasn’t great. It had been made for beginning hobbit adventurers. We’d have to get some good materials and have something custom made for her. The belt would just be the first step.

The armor would have to wait for us to arrive at the island. There’d be a good craftsman in Chedrai or Crimston. The latter was Essar clan’s city, our destination for this journey.

Eventually, the sun began to drop below the horizon, and the shops began closing for the night. We headed back to the merchant compound. Dinner that night was delicious, but there were a lot more people in the cafeteria than at lunch.

I was getting a lot of looks. While, I wasn’t the only child there, I was a new one, an unknown. People kept coming up to us and talking to us, and asking about me. I hid my reddened face and concentrated on eating. My friends thought my shyness adorable...I was so embarrassed.

Quickly finishing my food, I attempted to flee back to our rooms, but was caught by Ierva. I struggled for a bit, but not too much, since I didn’t want to hurt her, then just gave up and went limp. I surrendered. I was hugged and cuddled, and given some dessert. Mmm, delicious. My attention was all for the food.

I may have mentioned this before, but if so, TOO BAD! Since becoming a child again, my tastes have changed. I’ve always loved sweets, but they now seem to be even better than before. Before if I saw something tasty looking, I would give it a glance, then move on more often than not. Now, I ended up fixating somewhat on it.

Besides sweets, my preferences are mostly the same, but I am finding that I tend to avoid stronger smelling or tasting foods. Not specifically having a strong smell, but from the source of the strength. Spices. While the spice must flow, I find I prefer lighter spiced foods better. I’ve never cared too much for spicy stuff, but now even stuff that uses spices without the kick is less appealing.

But sweets? Oh my, they are yummy...And I just got called out for eating like a small animal...again. Puffing out my cheeks I glared at the one who commented, one of the locals. Most people were dressed casually, so I didn’t know what they did, but they knew the Crimson Blood.

I put up with the hugging and comments and pats on the head from people I didn’t know for a while, but eventually, I was just too fed up. Turning my head, and looking upwards, I looked Ierva straight in the eye. She saw my expression as I told her I was going to my room, and released me. Breaking my expectations, she stood as well, coming with me.

“You don’t have to come with me, you should spend time with your friends. You hardly see each other, right?”

“That’s true, but I wanted to be sure you were okay. I could feel you tensing up a lot back there. Are you alright?”

“I’ll be fine. I’m not used to being the center of attention. I usually prefer to be by myself. I’m not...I’m not good with people.”

“What about the tournament? You made yourself quite well known there.”

“Please don’t remind me. I was so nervous that I was afraid I was going to vomit or collapse. I had to put myself in a weird state of mind to not do so.”

We’d reached our room. Upon entering, I flopped down on one of the beds, hugging a pillow to me.

“You should go back. I’ll be fine. I’ll actually calm down pretty fast once I focus on something else. Be with your friends.”

Pulling out a book, I sat up and looked towards her. I could see some hesitation in her eyes.

“Are you sure you’re alright? I don’t mind…”

“I’m fine, go!”

I turned away from her, ignoring her. She stood there for another moment, then left, sighing. I knew she didn’t believe me. I was currently really tense, but I’d meant what I said. A few minutes of reading, and I had calmed down nearly completely. In the state I was in I couldn’t focus on anything useful, so I was reading a novel. What kind? I don’t have to say.

---

I woke up the next morning cradled in Ierva’s arms. Wiggling my way free, I took care of my morning business and went down to the cafeteria. Of course I was not alone. With how tightly I had been being held, there was no way I would have escaped without waking up my companion, not that she’d actually been asleep.

Fran was still asleep, although the rest of the group had already gotten up. Ierva had stayed behind, as she was worried about me after our discussion last night. I was fine, just having reached a point where I needed some alone time. She didn’t understand that mentality.

Breakfast was delicious. Fat pieces of bacon, more like bacon steaks then strips, seasoned potatoes, and a fluffy pancake with fruit were what was served. There wasn’t syrup, but there was some honey to replace it. Mmm, I enjoyed it so much I wish I could have more, but my childish stomach only has so much room.

Since we were setting sail tomorrow, today was the last day I’d be able to explore the city, at least until I came back through, so I wanted to make the most of it. Fran had come downstairs halfway through breakfast, but wasn’t finished very long after I was, so I didn’t have to wait long.

As per usual, we were not allowed out alone. They knew our strength, but instincts were difficult to ignore, and theirs were telling them I was a child in a foreign land, and needed an escort. Well, at least it would get us a guide.

We weren’t dressed in our usual adventurer garb, but in nice, if simple, dresses. I could have worn my armor underneath and made it invisible, but chose not to. I’d thought Ierva would be the one accompanying us, but she wasn’t. Instead it was one of the personnel from the trading company.

She was a young-looking woman, appearing to be a teenager, but since she was a dragonkin, so her actual age over twice my age. I tried to detect the scent of the juvenile I’d been told about, but nothing smelled different to me. When asked, I explained, and was told that we wouldn’t be able to detect it until we’d finished growing up.

We’d gone shopping yesterday, but with the size of the city, we’d barely begun to explore. This was a major trading city with routes to other major cities both via land as well as sea. That being the case, we went to a different market from the one we’d visited yesterday.

We wandered the shops and stalls, looking at one thing after another. I’d occasionally buy something, but window shopped for the most part. One of the shops had a variety of seeds available. There were simple flower seeds, as well as fruit and vegetable seeds. I bought a good amount from the shop, since I could pass them on to Alfred. Some of them were from other countries, ones with a different enough climate that they wouldn’t grow locally without taking special care of them. My villa would be able to grow them without issue.

During our shopping we occasionally picked up food from the stalls scattered among the other merchants. If it smelled good, we bought some. Most of it was decent, though some smelled good, but tasted gross. Well, Fran didn’t seem to mind, so she ate what I didn’t.

Mid-afternoon saw us in yet another market. There were like eight of them around the city, with some of them run by merchants only from one country. This one was from a southern country called Aglos. The culture reminded me of the middle east. Our guide grew wary when we’d entered this section of the market, and the reason why became evident.

We’d entered a shop, since it had a larger variety of goods then what the stalls on the street tended to have. They must have thought we were easy prey, because the door to the shop was closed and we were swiftly surrounded by several armed men.

“Well, well, well. What’s this then? Some little girls have come to join us? Welcome, we’ll be sure to take good care of you.”

The creepy voice came from a corpulent man who came out of a back room. He was dressed in gaudy clothes, and he dripped with jewels. His hands were covered in rings, while all sorts of glittering necklaces adorned his neck. His ears had become stretched out from the heavy earrings he wore.

In short, he was the epitome of an evil merchant.

Our guide had taken a combat stance, but Fran and I were still mostly relaxed. The men around us were weak. We’d be able to defeat them in a matter of moments, even without help. Well, there was the chance I could talk our way out of this.

“No thank you, we already have people looking after us. I thought this store might have some interesting items for sale, but I am ready to leave now. Thank you for your time.”

“No no no. We can’t have you leaving, there are many who’d be interested in spending time with you, and we can’t let them miss that could we?”

“Sorry, but our time would be better spent where we want to go. Please step aside.”

The men guarding the door didn’t move away, instead coming closer.

“This is your final warning. Move out of our way.”

“Ooh, so scary. Tie them up and take them to storage. Don’t hurt them more then you have to. Use a potion if they resist too much.”

Saying this, the merchant turned to head back into his layer. He didn’t make it. Since he wasn’t going to let us go, he would suffer for it. He was now qualified as a bandit in my eyes, which meant that he and his men, and his goods, were fair game. After all, bandits are those who rob and enslave others. This man was trying to do so to us.

The fight wasn’t really a fight. Our escort wasn’t that strong, but she still took down one of our assailants. Fran took down the rest, while I went after the slaver. He’d barely stepped foot into the other room, so it didn’t take but a moment.

Seeing that there were other people in the next room, I took them out as well. We made sure not to kill anyone. After all, criminals are usually made into slaves, and the one who captures them gets paid part of the sale price.

We sent our guide to get the guards, while Fran and I stayed to clean things up here. I also summoned Alfred to help. He was given orders to take away the most valuable things, including the safe that was, of course, behind a painting in the store’s office.

With Fran watching the prisoners, I made my way into the basement. There were several doors, one of which led to the sewers. That was how they moved their illegal goods around. It wasn’t only slaves they smuggled, but several other things. We’d left those untouched. I found the prison behind the left hand door. It wasn’t very large, but there were six people in the cage. Four girls and two boys. One of the boys was very well dressed, and on inspection turned out to be a noble.

Crap.

Well, at least he and his family should be grateful for our assistance in freeing him. I set about freeing the captives, removing their shackles using the key I’d taken off one of the guard’s belts. They didn’t move very fast, due to the weakening poison they’d been fed to keep them docile. I could have cured the poison, but thought it would be better to leave them as is for the time being.

I Cleaned them up, and took them back upstairs. The guards were not here yet, so we had to sit and wait. As much as I wanted to pilfer the entire place, I restricted myself to what Alfred had taken with him. Knowing him, the goods he’d taken with him were likely worth a fortune, and the remaining stuff looked good, but was of lesser quality.

It took an hour for help to arrive. Why was that? Because our guide had been brushed off by the closest guards, who most likely had been bribed to overlook this criminal, and had decided to visit Gydrin’s company for reinforcements and political power in order to make the locals take notice.

Our help was led by the A-rank adventurers Ierva and Qevru. There were several others from the company, and following them was a guard company led by a young man dressed in gleaming silver armor. Had to be the city’s commander, was my thought.

I was part right, but it was more than that. It seemed that he was also the second son of the city’s lord. Since he couldn’t inherit the family’s title, he assisted his family by being the vice-commander of the city guards. He appeared to be genuinely disgusted that this kind of thing had happened in his family’s territory.

They already had some prisoners when they arrived. Guards. I was informed that they were the ones who’d ignored the call for help. They’d be tortured… interrogated to discover their complicity in the merchant’s crimes.

Ah! Alarms were going off on the magic sensors I’d put in the tunnels. Looks like some rats were trying to escape.

I rushed downstairs and into the disgusting tunnels that were the sewers. I quickly disabled the people attempting to flee. Tying them up and leaving them against the walls. Alfred came back and scrounged around the shops of the rats, finding that they were owned and operated by the gaudy merchant, and participated in the same business of capturing unsuspecting youth.

There were no other prisoners, but there were more illegal goods and documents to prove their involvement.

I’d sent Fran a message to pass on to the group coming to our aid, who informed them that this shop was not the only one involved, so no one in the vicinity should be allowed to leave until everything was settled. The sewer ran along the street, and shops on both sides had been part of the problem.

Fran would have been ignored by the guards, since she was so young, but with Ierva and Qevru backing her, her words were headed. They knew that the message had to come from me. Fran is cute and strong, but not very clever yet. I had high hopes for her in the future though. She’d only just been born a few months ago after all.

All the captives were marched off to the dungeons, and the shops were searched. Finding proof in poorly hidden compartments or on the prisoners cemented the case against them. The hidey holes were poorly hidden since our ninja butler had made them so when he was cleaning them out.

The former prisoners were escorted back to the castle as well, though they were treated very kindly, especially when it was discovered that they were under the influence of control drugs. That one of them appeared to be a noble made them extra cautious. Sadly, we had to go along as well.

Alfred was already back at the villa, since I didn’t want to give away my secret weapon. Ninjas were best left undiscovered. He’d scored us some major riches. He’d be inventorying the goods now that he was home. Hopefully, we’d be able to add more to them.

The castle was a daunting edifice. It had been built when there was a threat of attack as the final defense against invaders, either from the sea or by land. While it was still elegant, it was strong. Built of highly dense stone, with reinforcement magic built in, then protected from magic by even more enchantments.

We were taken to a waiting room. It was a nice one, with beautiful flowers in delicate looking vases, well upholstered couches, and gilded furniture. The curtains were of high quality fabrics.

We were asked to be seated and tea was brought in. Something extra was added to the teas of the former prisoners in order to break the hold the drug had on their minds. It took a bit to work, but the control over the drugs lessened and the emotions of the rescued came out.

The women broke down and cried. It seemed that while they might have been saved, they hadn’t been treated kindly. Not surprising with scum involved. The boys had not been subjected to the same treatment, but had been told that there would be those interesting in spending time with them as well.

Despicable. If I could turn back time, I’d have been much harsher in taking the villains down. Possibly removing certain abilities from them.

The last one to come out of the drugged stupor was the noble. He’d been given extra, since as a noble he was expected to be able to use magic, and they didn’t want him getting loose. Unlike the women, he didn’t break down. He blew up.

As soon as he was conscious enough to talk, he started ranting and raving, making demands for restitution because of the city’s lack of reliable guards. He also demanded that he be brought a meal ‘worthy of his status.’

However, he was mostly ignored.

Having learned his name and ascertaining that the boy was fine, both physically and mentally, a messenger was sent to the lodgings his family was supposed to be staying, only to find that they had left the city already. They had not contacted the guard about their missing child.

The boy had been abandoned, and one could see why. He was selfish, extremely egotistical, and didn’t have any self control. Also his ability to use magic was pathetic. Even if he’d not been drugged, he would not have been able to escape.

Seeing that he could not be returned to his family directly, he was immediately put on a carriage to his family’s lands and gotten rid of. No one wanted to deal with him longer than they had to. The coachman and guards who’d have to were getting paid extra. The local lord would be demanding favors for having rescued the little brat, not that he had much hope.

Eventually the lord himself showed up. To the former prisoners, he offered an apology and funds to compensate them for their losses, then they were led out of the room, either to be taken home or to be given a place to stay the night.

Then it was our turn.

The villains had been a problem for the city for a long time, especially since they’d been unable to get evidence to allow them to search the premises. But thanks to us, they’d be able to take down most if not all of those involved in illegal dealings in the city. Or at least those connected to this group.

As the ones who took them down, we were rewarded, then sent on our way. While we were appreciated, the results of our shopping trip had created a lot of work.

Leaving the castle, we made our way back to the company’s local headquarters. Unfortunately for me, that meant that it was lecture time.

It lasted quite a while. My guardians were happy I was safe, but wouldn’t stop harping on how young we were, and how we should have run away, not fought.

Eventually, I was fed up with it.

“I believe you are all forgetting just who and what I am. I may be a dragonkin child in your eyes now, but I was raised among humans as a human, and was an adult according to human customs before changing races. We fought because we had to, and in doing so made this city a safer place. Had we felt there was any actual danger to us, we would have run, but there was not. Your lecturing might just be your way of showing you care, but it is pointless to do so when we made the best choices from those available to us. If you feel you are not done, then feel free to lecture each other, ‘cause I’m done listening.”

They tried to argue, but I just gave them a flat stare, then walked away, dodging their attempts to grab me or blocking them with shields. Once in my room, I opened the portal to the villa and Fran and I passed through. They tried to follow, but the portal only lets those I allow to pass.

Before I left, I bid them good night and told them I’d see them in the morning.

Once in the villa, I heaved a sigh of relief. I was really irritated, and their complaints and lecturing did not help any. Someone tried to kidnap me. I may have gotten my revenge, but I had still been in a bad mood, even if I’d gotten a lot out of it.

I wandered into the house to see just what we had gotten, Fran right behind me. Alfred was using the grand dining room’s table to sort through the goods.

“So, what have we got?”

Quite a bit. A large amount of gold coins, a decent amount of platinum, some magic tools, and a few pieces of art that would fetch quite the price if sold. I don’t recommend selling them though, since there is a chance they are stolen to begin with.”

“That’s fine, we don’t really need that much money, so no need to go through the bother. If there are any tasteful pieces, they can be placed here in the villa. Anything else can be shoved in a storage room until we can dispose of them. Split the money into three piles. Each of us will take one of them. This way we’ll all have money should it be needed.”

“Yes master.”

He bowed, and did as instructed. The art was sorted between those to be displayed and the rest was tucked back in his item box to be stored elsewhere later. We collected our piles of cash, leaving only the magic tools to peruse.

There were some interesting ones, but nothing really useful to us. Tools for making water, lighting fires, for concealment, soundproofing, and more were spread across the table. We either already had similar tools, or were able to do the same things the tools could without them, so they would be sold when we had a chance. Unlike the art, they wouldn’t have any problems being sold.

Having dealt with the loot, we went our separate ways. I’d passed along the seeds and other items I’d purchased for Alfred, earning a smile as he took them to the garden. I foresaw new foods being used in his cooking in the future.

Fran logged into WoW. She’d really come to like the game, perhaps too much since she was always playing when she had free time.

I was in the training area practicing magic. I was strong, but wanted to get stronger. Frankly, I wanted to be one of those overpowered protagonists like the main characters from light novels I’d read, but without anyone really knowing the extent of my power. Especially right now. If I became famous now, I’d be outing myself as some kind of long-lived species, since I would be growing so slowly.

As dusk approached, we gathered back in the kitchen for dinner before separating again. As the night grew deeper, Fran and I retired to my room and went to sleep.

9