Primal Stone Event 04
65 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 1 - Mecha battle

 

Standing atop the makeshift fort, Urist, dressed in his battle flame robes, awaited the incoming horde of skeletons. Next to him stood the fox-kin Sage, secret spear master Mo, and Uria. Below them were mages hidden within the trenches of the fort. If one looked down at them, they could see nervousness plastered across their faces.

Urist stared into the distance, his brows furrowed. “How long do we have?”

“Judging by the tremors, we have about two minutes until contact,” Uria responded, her hands pressed onto the floor. 

Urist gripped his bone spear, Greedy Serpent, and turned to the fox-kin. 

“Remember Sage, we’ll be counting on you and your brethren.”

Sage rolled her eyes, “Just give us the opening and we’ll handle it. I don’t want to get shot at for nothing.”

“We won’t fail you, I promise you this.”

Sage turned her head away arrogantly, “Humph. Don’t make promises you can’t keep.”

Not taking the bait, Urist finally turned his head towards Mo.

“I’m sorry to drag you into this war, Master Mo, but we needed everyone for this.”

Mo started chuckling, “Haha… Don’t worry about it, King. And please, don’t call me master. I only know a thing or two about spears. Even though my father wished for me to never step onto the battlefield… I know that this is where I belong now. At least until peace arrives.”

Urist shook his head, “A teacher for a day, a teacher for life. Without your guidance, I wouldn’t be here now.”

“Fine, fine. I’ll be your master! Just stop praising me, you’re making this grown man blush.”

“Haha!” Urist and those below that heard the conversation started laughing.

“They are here.” Uria words sliced through the laughter, turning everyone somber in an instant.

Not a moment later, the ground began to tremble. In the distance, trees breaking and crashing to the ground could be heard.

Eyes flashing red, the bone mecha marched forth dauntlessly, coming out of the forest with a trail of destruction in its wake. The mecha’s left hands held a two-handed saber, the right hand held a great shield, and held within a strange, warped appendage were multiple large hollow cylinders. 

Is that a minigun? Urist mused as flames began to flicker along his body.

“Mo, we’re up. Mages, support us. Uria, I’ll leave it to you to signal the warriors.”

“Strength, Speed, Reflex, Control, Vision.” Flaming symbols appeared from Urist’s fingertips, landing upon Mo’s back before Urist turned to buff himself.

Having been fully strengthened, the two dashed forth to meet the mass of bone head-on.

Eyes flashing, the mecha let out a roar as it moved its minigun towards the two.

Clink, clink, clink.

The gun barrels turned, letting up plumes of smoke before the bone gun roared to life, shooting countless bone shards forth. 

Urist and Mo spit up, shifting to the left and right respectively to split the pilot’s attention, and sped forward, unphased by the shards.  

A dark voice resounded from the bone mecha as the bone shards exploded the field around the pair. “You underestimate my power, savage midgets. Dare to kill my brothers and sisters in arms? I’ll avenge them or die trying, or my name isn’t Rimson!”

Soundlessly the skeletons behind the mecha divided to move to his left and right flanks. The melee warriors formed a shield wall in the front while the gunners lined up from behind and readied their crosshairs.

Uria snorted, feeling the enemy’s movements through the ground, “As if I’d let you do something troublesome. Offensive Mages, begin bombardment! Careful not to hit the hostages one hundred meters behind the mecha. Everything else is free game.”

And so the mages held nothing back and casting their most powerful spells. Hands raised to the skies, the air seemed to solidify with an electrifying power as the sky above them flashed colorfully.

This didn’t go unnoticed by this necromancer, who sensed the danger. He quickly commanded his forces to pelt the fortress with bullets, and soon dark energy gathered within the barrels of the skeleton’s rifles before they shot out, ripping through the rock walls of the fortress. Although most of the bullets were blocked some still managed to get through, causing a few cries to be heard here and there. 

Figuring the two fools charging at him were no more than small threats, Rimson turned his minigun, aiming to blow up the small fort instead. 

Seeing this, Urist coldly shouted across the battlefield, “You’re forgetting about me, bastard!”

Increased Senses, Strengthening, Berserker's Fury, Quick Burst, Origin Flame, Seventh Strike - the First Strike!

One after another Urist unleashed his skills. With each step his muscles grew, his hair lengthened, and his body lit up like a comet as he dashed along the ground. He was aiming to smash right into the mecha.

The pilot gave a lazy snicker, “Heh, what can you do with just a spear against my mech, puny midget? Get crushed.”

Without much thought the necromancer kept moving the minigun in the fort’s direction, idly smashing his massive saber downward towards Urist. 

Seeing a blade bigger than him by more than a few times heading to make him paste, Urist didn’t dodge. Instead, he decided to face it head on. 

He roared with bloodshot eyes, “First Strike!”

Greedy Serpent and the giant saber clashed, and to the necromancer’s surprise, created a collision that sent massive shockwaves outwards, the force so immense that it caused the mecha to lean backward, almost to the point of falling over. 

It was at this time that Mo joined the fight with a much more somber mood, lashing out with his spear.

“Second Strike.”

Like a serpent his spear lashed out twice at mecha’s chest, hitting the exact same spot both times, sending out a shockwave in no way inferior to the one Urist just unleashed. 

The two attacks sent the mecha toppling over on its back just as the mages finished chanting and launched a bombardment to obliterate the skeletons.  

As the explosions flew around, Urist lay on the ground, exhausted and barely managing to hold his spear to the sky. With his spear in the air, reflecting the light, Urist could see the cracks upon the copper bone weapon and felt his heartache.

Sorry for putting you through the wringer. This was the best plan that had the fastest victory and the least amount of casualties. When this is over I’ll let you eat that mecha as compensation. You like eating them, right?

While talking to his weapon like it was a person, Urist let a flame travel up his body, onto the spear, before sending it up and out like a flare. 

While he sent the signal, the mecha’s pilot, for some reason, started laughing. “You fuckers think that this is enough to stop me? You fools, prepare to die for defying me! And you can forget about saving those hostages! We’re all going to die together!”

The armor on the mecha's chest, legs, and arms suddenly pulled back, revealing hundreds of barrels filled with a dark, glowing power that seemed to be increasing by the second

As the necromancer laughed hysterically in his cockpit, a small shadow suddenly appeared in the air over the mech.

“It’s you who's going to die today. For my father!” Holding ten metal grenades charged with holy rubies, Sage tossed them all along the exposed chest of the mecha. 

Sensing the holy energy from the falling grenades, the necromancer Rimson tried to smash the grenades away with his mecha’s hands only for the mecha’s arms to be hit away by ice spears that instantly disabled the mecha’s joints.

“Your end lies here,” Rytar stated as he appeared in the distance behind the mecha with the dwarf warriors, rat-kin, fox-kin, and hostages in tow.

Shall we leave the area, my King?” Mo mused as he scooped Urist off the ground and began sprinting into the distance.

As they made a mad dash away from the incoming explosion, Rimson tried to close the chest armor in desperation. Yet the moment his hands touched the controls, a faint clink, clink, clink sounded.

“I may die today, but my lord will avenge me and kill you midgets! How dare you get in the way of our ritual! He was chosen to be a— ”

The mecha's chest cavity exploded with holy fire, burning Rimson into nothingness.

The battle was over. The Dwarfs had won.

 

Part 2 - Powerlessness, Grief, and Anger

 

With the death of Rimson, the dwarfs breathed a sigh of relief. Although no one had died from the attack, some were heavily injured from the skeleton’s barrage of bullets. The medic on hand, Uroa, was working to save the lives of those most injured. 

As she and her helpers worked, Mo assisted the over-exhausted Urist over to the mecha wreck.

“Eat up buddy, but leave me the core this time.”

When Urist stabbed his spear into the mecha, the spearhead split apart to form two rows of teeth. The strange spear mouth opened bizarrely wide and started eating from one of the mecha’s legs. Bones broke and metal twisted, the sound causing those nearby to twitch in dread.

As Urist watched his spear feast upon the body, Uria walked up to him, seemingly unaffected by the gruesome sounds.

“We have no deaths, but four are heavily wounded and there are six with light injuries. What do you wish to do?”

Urist replied, his face expressionless. “We are in no condition to hunt another mecha. We’ll retreat after the injured are stabilized. How long does Uroa think she needs?”

“A half hour. Thanks to the formations Bishop made, as long as they don’t exert themselves too much the injured will be able to hold on till we get back to the village.”

“Good, I'll have to treat him and Ubel to a drink later. Now Sage.” 

“Yes?”

“Go check on the people we rescued. I need to know their conditions. When you’re done, report back to me.”

“Yes, sir.”

The fox-kin teleported away with barely a nod, heading towards her clansmen, who were being given basic treatment by the warriors who rescued them. 

“Master, I’m alright here so could you help check on the injured? I remember you telling me that your father also taught you some medicine.”

Mo looked at him doubtfully, “Are you sure you don’t need me? You're in a pretty weakened state right now, my king.”

“I’ll be fine with Uria looking after me. Please go and help put my mind at ease.”

“As you wish.”

With Mo’s departure, Uria and Urist were left alone as the spear gorged itself on the fallen body.

Uria whispered to Urist, who was leaning on her shoulder, “Don’t beat yourself up. It was a great plan. Although I hate to see you put yourself in danger, you at least minimized the risk this time.”

Urist sighed, “I know Uria. I just… I just want to be even stronger. Every time I fight I have to go all out. I’m afraid one day that it won’t be enough, or that after I kill my opponent someone will kill me in my weakened state. Then I wouldn’t be able to protect you and everyone else who is counting on me.”

Rubbing his head with a smile on her lips Uria rebutted, “Oh you dummy. Take it one step at a time, we’ll get stronger together. You’ve got to stop putting everything on your shoulders and let us help carry the burden. You need to learn to trust, for without trust everything will fall.”

“I get that… it’s just… in the past…”

“The past what?”

“It’s nothing... I’ll try my best to rely on you all when I need it the most.”

Inside the castle throne room, high necromancer Malous sat cross-legged on his now floating chair. Thirty-two orbs danced around him in a weird formation, constantly bouncing up and down. Of the thirty-two spheres, some glowed faintly with green energy while fourteen of the orbs were lit ablaze, teeming with lifeforce.

Tears of blue blood fell from Malous' cheeks, Mutu, Raz, Gataui… I’m sorry. As your lord, I have failed you. When I break through I will make sure to get my revenge for you, but for now, I’m sorry. I’ll have to use you. Please forgive me and know that I will make sure to succeed in our dream.

As the man grieved for his fallen comrades another orb burst aflame, causing the other dim balls to lighten up slightly.

No, not you as well Rimson. Why? Why must this happen when we were so close to reaching our dream. Who dares to interfere? 

As he felt his heart breaking piece by piece, his closest confident Robert walked in. Much like Malous, he had tears running down his face, but instead of blue, his were black.

“I’ve come to bring bad news, Malous.”

“I know Robert. Rimson has also died to those savages.”

Robert merely shook his head, “That isn’t it. Rimson wasn’t the only one attacked while retreating. It seems that Eoai, Wettar, Mao, Winsta, and Woiko are also being attacked as we speak. It seems… it seems that they won’t be able to escape their battlefields. They’ve requested to go out in a blaze of glory.”

Malous started trembling, “Can no one save them?”

“I’m afraid no one can make it in time…”

Before he could say another word, two previously dim orbs lit up like the sun.

“No… Mao, Woiko… You monsters, you fucking monsters. Why must the gods make us suffer so…

“I kill them, I’ll fucking kill every one of them! 

“I’ll slay those monkeys and destroy the heavens! 

“Only then… only then will I be able to face my brothers’ and sisters' deaths. Go… tell them to go out in glory. Tell them that those of us left behind will carry on their revenge.”

“And for the rest?” Robert asked.

“We'll reset the circle and make it smaller since we don't need as much lifeforce anymore. Unless something critical happens, please do not come to bother me. I wish to mourn in private.”

“Yes, Malous...” Although he wished to say something more, Robert held his tongue and walked out.

When the doors closed the walls rumbled and creaked as Malous’ cries echoed within the chamber, filled with deep pain. 

***

In another place, Ubel and his guards were closing in on the ravaged team that had been led by Agate. They approached only to see the devastation left behind after the battle, with cries of pain echoing all throughout the camp.

When they entered the camp, Elana noticed them immediately. She stopped tending to Tänzer, who lay there with lifeless eyes and shallow breathing and stared at the group in an attempt to find the healer.

Instead, she saw Ubel’s face within the crowd and anger filled her veins. “What are you doing here, demon?”

With impassive eyes, Ubel moved over to her and ordered, “I’ve come with an ultimatum. Listen or die.”

 

Reset Part 3 - Miscommunication 

 

“What?” Shell shocked, Elana could only respond as such.

“I don’t have a lot of time and I would prefer not to kill you all for a short term gain. So I’m going to need you to be silent about what happened here.”

Elana’s eye twitched with anger, her hands trembling with fury. 

“You want us to be silent about that monster? When he was strong enough to fight alone? When our people didn’t need to die? When he abuses us with words and lords his strength over our heads? I didn’t know a screw was loose in your head Ubel, but I will not let that monster get away with this. I’ll be telling our king what has transgressed here and we will have our retribution.”

Ubel looked down at her from atop his wolf, “You really have no idea of the big picture, do you? He needs to live for a little longer, as he still has a use. So I’ll give you one chance. Bite your tongue, hold in your anger, and wait.”

“Oh? And what use does that trash have? Killing more innocents?”

“Yah! Look at Tänzer, he's lost his legs!” 

“Look at the rest of us, we bled for nothing!”

One by one the crowd let out their grievances until a raspy voice rang out from the back of the group. 

“Ubel? You’re here?”

Ubel turned to dim eyed Tänzer, who was laying on the ground, staring at the sky.

“Yes I am, dancer boy.”

“Heh~. I don’t think I’ll be able to dance anymore… gonna need a new nickname.”

“Are you retarded? After we leave here, as long as we gain enough points, we can heal those limbs and even bring back those lost in battle.” Ubel sarcastically replied, looking at the crowd as if they were stupid.

“What?”

“We were never told that!”

“How can you be so sure?”

Dozens of shouts rang out from the dumbfounded crowd.

Ubel looked at them weirdly, “Don’t tell me… Urist didn’t tell you all that? Goddamnit, how could something so simple slip his mind. That son of a… when I see him I’m gonna…”

Ubel muttered to himself, sighed, then started once more, “Whatever. Now you all know that as long as we kill the necromancer everyone can be brought back to life and lost limbs can be regained. Now, will you go along with being silent?”

Although the message didn’t talk about regaining limbs, Ubel assumed as such since you can bring someone back from death. If not well… Gods really do like to lie. 

But really Urist… How could you forget to explain something so simple? We can’t assume everyone got the same info. Ubel thought as Tänzer’s once dull eyes lit aflame.

“You… is that really the truth?”

“That’s what Urist told me.”

“Then... Promise me this. You'll make that fucker pay.”

Ubel scoffed, “You know how I work, dancer boy. I don’t promise things if I’m not one hundred percent sure of. But I’ll try my hardest to kill him when the time comes. That is all I can say.”

“Then I’ll take what I can get. Elana I know it’s selfish, but please hold in your anger. I don’t wish to see you die, even if it’s only temporary. And everyone else, please don’t throw away your lives for that monster.”

“But Tänzer…”

“I know it’s hard Elana, but I have faith in Ubel. Although he is cruel, cold, and an asshole... he does his best to accomplish his tasks. As long as Urist is here to be the heart of our group, we won’t have to worry.”

Ho? And here I thought he was just a simple person who liked to dance. He might even be better than that muscle head. Ubel thought.

“Well? What is your answer?”

All gazes turned to Elana, who's hair covered her eyes. She thought long and hard before replying.

Hands clenched, she forced out the words, “You… if you don’t kill him, I’ll never forgive you.”

“I don’t plan on failing. When the medics are done healing the injured, head back to base. Medics, follow the wolves and go from group to group to help out. As for everyone here, I trust you to not speak of this to anyone.”

“Yes.”

“Yep.”

“Make sure to kill the fucker.”

Hearing them agree with forced voices, Ubel took what he could get.

“Then I’ll take my leave.”

Now… it’s time to pick up Snorri, talk to Urist, then confront Bishop on his stance. If need be, we kill him. Let’s see how strong brotherhood really is.

With a faint smile, Ubel and his group headed off.

Meanwhile in another camp, Unicy groaned in pain and suddenly sneezed.

“Who’s talking shit about me? Do they want me to die?” She shouted loudly.

“Careful! You can’t move around or you’ll open your wound and die from the blood loss!”

Laying on a makeshift stone platform on a sleeping bag, the tired Unicy replied. “I know, I know. Thank you for patching me up, Briana. If Ubel didn’t send you with me I’m sure I would have died.

“You're lucky the spear missed your lungs and intestines. If it was any bigger or was a little more on-center you would’ve died with utter certainty.”

“I get it… I get it… I’m fine now, stop wasting your time with me and help out the other teams. Take those not wounded as helping hands. The wounded here will hold down the fort. Let me… rest for now…”

The pale Unicy passed out as the last of her will power faltered. 

With a sigh Briana got up and walked to the awaiting wolf.

“Take me to the worst place, I need to save lives.”

 

Part 4 - Squad up

 

Snorri leaned back on the ravaged hull of a bone mecha with Aqua, a water mage and new edition to the team, beside her.

The two were chatting it up as they awaited new orders.

“I didn’t know you could do that with water Aqua. Tell me, how did you learn such a spell?”

Aqua timidly responded, “Oh! Um… You see, my sister and I were training with our master, and one day he told us to come up with a new spell and… That wasn’t the full version. If my sister was here it would’ve been much more powerful...”

“Really now? Damn, you serious?”

The timid girl started stuttering angrily, “I-I-I would n-never lie!”

Snorri waved her arms in defeat, “Hey now, I’m just messing with you. Don’t take it so seriously. I’m still amazed you were able to stop him from trying to take us all out with that last-ditch attack. Good job by the way. Everyone here owes you their lives, including me.”

“I-i-it was no b-big deal! A-a-a-anyone could h-have done it!” Aqua stuttered, blushing furiously.

Heh, how cute. Wonder what her sister is like? Snorri chuckled inwardly, her ears twitching as she heard something in the distance.

Turning her head towards the sound, she saw Ubel riding over with a group of guards.

What does that man want? Shouldn’t he be in the command center?

“Hello commander, what are you doing here?”

Ubel didn’t put on airs, “Send your forces back to the village and have them take the mecha core with them. As for you and Aqua, I need the two of you for a mission.”

“Man, you like working us to the bone, don’t you? What are we killing?”

Snorri asked with a bloodthirsty grin while Aqua fidgeted nervously to the side.

“I’ll fill you in on the way. Let’s get going, shall we?”

“Hoho, lead the way then Commander.”

***

A half-hour later Ubel and his group meet up with Urist, who was resting to regain his strength.

In that time Ubel had filled in the two following them so they knew what to expect.

As Ubel pulled into camp Uria’s ears twitched. Bursting out of the tent she was resting in, she stood in front of Ubel with flames in hand.

“Who goes there?!”

“It is me, Uria. I’ve come to talk to Urist about something important.”

Uria recalled her flames and relaxed, “Ah, something so important that you had to personally come here? Very well, he’s waiting in his tent, resting.”

“Good. The rest of you go help the wounded, Uroa could probably use the help. Aqua you help along as well, clean water is a godsend for them.”

“U-uh, understood! I’ll try my best!” Aqua responded with an air of positivity.

“What about me?” Snorri asked.

“Follow along or rest if you want. We’ll be heading out soon anyways.”

Ubel turned away from Snorri and headed towards Urist’s tent with Uria following after him.

I could rest… but I wanna see what expression Urist has when he hears the news. It’ll be a good chance to see his true character.

Having made up her mind, Snorri followed after the two.

Once he entered the tent Ubel saw Urist sitting cross-legged with his eyes closed, breathing slowly and steadily.

“Uria who is it? Is it a— oh. What are you doing here Ubel? Even Snorri came? What happened?” Urist’s mind quickly went from sudden confusion to seriousness when he saw his commander.

“To save on time I had Kist make this stone to explain the situation. Put some mana in and you’ll understand why I’m here. But don’t get me wrong, the operation was very successful. It’s just that a minor problem became a reality. “

Although he felt relaxed when he heard the plan was a success, hearing that something had happened made him tense. Even without Ubel telling him, he had a nagging idea of what it was about. “Give me the stone.”

Urist had his assumption, but he didn't want it to be true. Taking the stone from Ubel and pouring his mana in, causing the information to flood his mind. It took him a minute before he could digest the knowledge.

Sorrow was followed by disappointment, then anger and finally, utter rage. Various expressions flashed across his face before it settled on resolve.

“I understand. He cannot be allowed to live.”

“But we need him.”

“Only since he’s essential for our contingency plan in the final battle against the necromancers. His brother, on the other hand, seems to be trying his best to fit in. Are we killing him as well?”

“I wish to talk to him before seeing his stance. But if it comes down to it, we kill him as well.”

Sighing to himself Urist pushed off the ground and picked up his spear, using it as a walking stick to steady himself.

“Then let’s head off. We need to square this away quickly.”

“Aren’t you exhausted? We can wait.”

“I only need an hour more to rest. By the time we get there I’ll be recovered. Let’s bring Master Mo along to be extra sure of our success.”

With such few words, the two quickly came to an understanding that amazed Snorri and even Uria.

Putting her arm under Urist's, Uria helped him stand and whispered in her ear, “I can’t believe it… What did he show you?”

Urist felt tired just thinking of it and rage leaked out into his voice, “Someone like Ubel, but much worse. A monster in dwarven skin. While you and I at least know Ubel is somewhat reasonable, this thing knows no reason. My only hope is that his brother can see the light and give him up.”

Urist spat at the ground with a belly full of disgust then started yelling out orders. Saying he had to go on a mission and that they were to return to camp after the wounded were stabilized. Ubel also told his guards to go with Urist’s men as they weren't needed where they were going.

In the background, Snorri mused to herself about what she was witnessing.

Such decisiveness from both of them. To cut off the flesh that is rotten before it festers… It might not be bad to be a follower for once, as long as my desires can be fulfilled. If they aren’t? Well... guess I’ll just chop off their heads and take command myself.

I wonder what Urist is thinking about? What did he see inside the stone that could’ve made him tremble with so much anger? No matter what I must help him through this. Uria thought, gazing at her man’s back.

While three people were in their own worlds, Ubel had his focus on the near future.

Let’s see what kind of dwarf you are Bishop. 

 

Part 5 - Confrontation and Choice

 

“Hey, newbie, how long ya think we’re going to be here for? I’m bored hanging around doing nothing. Would rather go rip up some skeletons or drink some booze, ya feel me?” A feminine voice called from a figure in the middle of a push-up.

Bishop snorted, “Newbie? Didn’t you join just a few days before me? I’m stronger than you anyways, so what gives you the right to call me a newbie, water girl.”

Finished with her push-ups the bronze-skinned blue-haired girl moved into a handstand and began to walk around.

While showing off her figure she responded, “It’s Vasi, newbie. And the reason why you’re a newbie is obviously ‘cuz I killed that hunk of junk and saved your sorry ass. Honestly, did you have a death wish? You stage dived into that bonehead as it was going critical. If I didn’t sever the connection to the power core you would’ve been screwed.”

Rolling his eyes Bishop replied, “Thanks for the assist, but I had the fucker in my grasp. Just a few more seconds and I’d have broken through his mecha’s formations and easily could’ve finished him off afterward. Really, you should be my junior, little girl.”

“Humph! I’ll have you know that I'm a full-grown woman.”

Bishop's eyes traveled from Vesi's acceptable face to her empty chest, “You might have the looks of one, but your chest, however… Ha.”

Vesi stumbled at Bishop's remark and fell flat on her face. She jumped up with a shout, “Why you! Come over here and fight me to the death, old man!”

His smile faded as he looked out in the distance. 

“You might get your wish soon… Agate… What did you do?” Bishop’s light-hearted voice lost its strength as he saw Urist, Ubel, Snorri and Uria storm across the horizon. 

“Wha?”

“Whatever happens, it’s been a joy fighting with your flat chest.”

“You son of a bitch! I’ll really kill you!”

***

It wasn’t long before their group entered the camp. Ubel and Urist confronted Bishop directly, not wasting any time.

Urist spoke first, his face unreadable, “We need you two for a secret mission. Tell your people to return to base and not to speak of us coming here.”

The confused Vesi and grim Bishop nodded their heads and passed on his orders. Soon the camp was taken down and the people started to head back.

When their group was alone at last Ubel spoke up, “I’m sure you know why we’re here but to fill you in, take this memory crystal and use it.”,

“How do I know you won’t sneak attack me?”

“I promise no one here will attack you while you use and digest the information. You have my word.”

Seeing as nothing pinged off his truth formation and that no one was giving off killing intent, Bishop nodded his head and accepted the stone that was thrown at him.

A minute later a saddened Bishop awoke from the memory. 

“That idiot, why did he act like that...” Was all he could say.

After briefly examining Bishop, Ubel continued, “Now that you know what happened, let’s sit by the fire and talk this out. Any movement to flee will force us to consider you as hostile. If that happens, we will do all we can to kill you.”

Bishop, feeling the truth of his words and the sudden killing intent coming from the group, quickly decided to not flee and heeded Ubel’s suggestion.

Ubel, Urist, Uria, and Snorri awkwardly sat across from Bishop.

Ubel took a drink from his water sack, using the time to gauge his opponent's expression. Ubel saw the sadness hanging on Bishop's eyes, the bitterness in his heart as he clenched and unclenched his fists, and the slouch of disappointment in his posture.

Time to see if I can score a powerhouse or need to kill him. What happens here will change the course of the war.

Ubel opened strongly, “The King has given me the authority to punish those who undermine his rule. And your brother, Agate, has most certainly broken the morals of the king and his people. As it stands, after he has fulfilled his use he will be executed for his actions against his fellow countrymen.”

Hearing his brother was going to be killed, Bishop snorted coldly.

“So you’ve decided to kill him after using him… I’m not surprised. So what about me? Are you planning to off me as well once you’re done with me?” 

Bloodlust leaked off of Bishop, affecting everyone to varying degrees and causing most of the group to go on guard.

Ubel merely pressed his glasses up and kept his dead-eyed expression. 

“Nice blood lust, but it's just a little barking dog when compared to my wives'.  Since you’ve been so sincere in trying your best, I’d rather not kill you. So I’ll offer you a choice. We either duke it out here and kill you now, or you don’t do anything while we kill Agate after he accomplishes his mission.”

His voice was hoarse as Bishop replied, “You… you want me to stand there... as you kill my brother. Is that what you’re... suggesting?

Ubel noticed Bishop's trembling hands, but it didn't move him the slightest bit. “Judging by your demeanor and smell hanging around you when we first met, you’ve killed a lot of people with your brother. Perhaps a bandit, and very good bandits judging by your power. But you were the brains were you not? After all, those without a good brain can’t learn formations. So then how long did you live as a bandit? Judging by those scars, your tiny bit of bloodlust, those calloused hands and eyes of steel… Tens of years, am I correct?”

Bishop lashed out once Ubel hit the mark, “What does my past have to do with this? What, do you hate bandits? Is that it? Trying to find an excuse to get rid of me?”

Ubel chuckled, “Ha. No, some of my best men started off as bandits and were fine men under my command. They all had their own wants: riches, women, fame, and food were some examples. But they all had something in common that they wanted, and you crave it as well. They all wanted fr—”

“Freedom…” Bishop cut in, his body now shivering.

Ubel nodded, “Yes, freedom. Before joining under my banner they were hunted wherever they went. Every day they watched their backs, wary of the kingdom, the bounty hunters, and even their own men. They killed and ran then killed and ran some more until I happened upon them, found use for their talents, and offered them a job. Because of that, I got a lovely nickname: General Bandit. Later on they changed it to Demon General of the West, but that’s a story for another time.”

Ubel waited for a bit before continuing, allowing Bishop to digest the information.

“So, I’ll offer you what I offered those before you. Will you fight under the dwarven kingdom's banner and stop running away? To be able to finally have a place where you can rest and call home, or will you choose the path of destruction? If so there are only three things that can and will happen.

“The first way, you die here. Plain and simple, no more story there. Number two, you somehow escape, then you escape again after this event ends off into the wilds. Sure, as a bandit you learned some skills on staying alive in the wilds. But what then? As each day passes this world will get more dangerous. 

“But sure, let’s say you survive against all odds. It’s when the demons descend that you will meet your end. And even if that’s not your end, you are going to be back on the run with your brother for the rest of your now miserable life.

“Is that true? The demons of myth.”

“Ask Urist.”

Urist replied with a nod, “It is true.”

Sensing no lie, Bishop's face contorted into doomed expression as he forced out a question.

“So… What's number three?”

“You kill everyone here and those loyal to Urist. Then, since Urist died, no more dwarfs will spawn and you would have doomed our race. Day by day wild animals will run wild and break down the walls, picking at you piece by piece until you fall. And if that doesn't finish you off, the demons will come in and finish the job. But I doubt we’ll fail to kill you as long as we have this.” 

Without much fuss, Ubel pulled out a mecha core brimming with energy.

“You see, this core is unstable thanks to being stopped just before going critical. If I add just a tiny bit of mana to this it’ll cause a chain reaction, turning you and everything else within fifty meters into a crater. Since Urist, Uria, and Snorri can move at extreme speeds they would live, and the sisters here use water magic as well so together they’ll probably live. The only thing I’m really betting here is my life and I don’t mind doing so. But do you feel lucky, Bishop? Do you?”

Bishop stared at the stone, then at Ubel. and finally at Urist who stood stoically, his expression unreadable.

He then let his head fall, defeated, as tears silently trickled to the ground.

“Tell me Urist… Will my brother's death be quick?”

Urist replied calmly, “I’ll be truthful with you Bishop. Your brother is strong and I’m not sure we’ll be able to end it quickly. If our surprise attack fails it’ll be messy, so I cannot promise it would be quick.”

Clenching and unclenching his hands Bishop responded, ‘Then I’ll help you kill him when the time comes. Although he doesn’t consider me a brother anymore... I should’ve carried out what needed to be done a long time ago.”

“Are… are you sure? You don’t have to.” Urist assured.

Bishop suddenly looked up with tears staining his cheeks and his eyes determined, “If I’m going to stop running away then I need to put an end to my past. And I’ll be damned if I let another do it for me.”

With a sight smile Ubel held out his free hand, “Then we are in agreement.”

Bishop accepted the handshake, “Yes. I will, from this point on, faithfully serve under you and our king. To show my loyalty, you may imprison me until the time comes to take out the man that was once my brother. I will not hold it against you.”

Ubel let go of Bishop’s hand and waved the dwarf off, “That’ll make Agate suspect, but since one can never be too careful... I’ll have Aqua and Vesi follow under you as a reward for doing so well in the ‘secret mission,’ which we'll be carrying out after this."

Bishop gave Ubel a look, “I’m fine with the busty one, but do I really need the flat-chested one?”

“You fucker, fight me to the death if you dare!” Vesi, who was worried this whole time, yelled out violently while her sister was blushed furiously at the mention of her chest.

Small chuckles rang out from here and there within the group, instantly lightening the heavy mood. 

But deep down everyone knew that they were plotting the murder of a monster living in a dwarven skin. 

And nothing would change that. 

This would be a dark stain in the history of the dwarven kingdom. 

Edited by: Kuro Yousei

2