Volt – 05
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 5 - Death march

Decades had passed since that day.

Volt and Victoria had tried everything to undo the forced oath, yet they met with no success. Despite having his potential crippled by the vow, Volt had managed to struggle up to the peak of Tier Three with pure grit. Even then, Volt was now an old man that had battled in wars between nations, against an orc stampede, and a mid Tier Four demon. For these achievements, no one dared question his marriage to Victoria any longer, and he finally became the king of the kingdom.

Yet even in his old age and luxurious lifestyle, there was always a thought lingering in the back of his mind. The dragon that forced him to separate from his Master and his Master herself.

He had spent decades after ascending to the throne searching, analyzing everything he could get his hands on. He’d investigated for so long but found nothing. In the end, Volt was unable to find any information on either.

But his master hadn’t come to find him even after his name had spread throughout the lands, he had to assume that his Master and that damned dragon had killed each other. Even if the dragon had somehow managed to survive, his Master definitely… had not. Yet as long as the dragon, assuming it was still alive anyways, wasn’t plotting to harm his new family, Volt was willing to let past events go.

Volt, now old and weathered, smiled as he blocked a sword filled with killing intent coming at his neck with two fingers.

“Not bad, daughter! You’re close to figuring out your basics at last.”

Volt praised as he moved his sword over his shoulder, blocking an attack from behind.

“Yep, not bad Tombell. If it was someone less skilled they would’ve had a severed spine from that attack. Good job using Anna’s killing intent to mask your own. I say you two have solid foundations in swordsmanship.”

“Does that mean?!” The boy behind Volt let out a surprised voice.

“We can go into the Thunder Mountains like big brother and elder sister?” Anna gasped, her eyes sparkling.

Volt grinned, “Yep. It’s time for the two of you to progress over to the next phase of your training. We’ll leave in a few days so get prepared!”

The pair dropped their swords and leapt at Volt, hanging off of him with smiles on their faces. Volt accepted their actions, filled with joy, “Oh, I can’t wait to see how far you guys are able to go.”

A few cheerful moments passed before harsh and sudden footsteps rushed towards them.

Frowning, Volt broke away from the two children and saw his minister of the left run into the training room.

The minister hurriedly bowed when he reached Volt.

“M-my lord!”

“Rise. What is it, Teo?”

Volt didn’t put on airs when he saw his friend’s obvious unease, but as he didn’t like to have one of his close friends bow to him, he ordered the man to stand.

“King Volt! I’m sorry to interrupt your training, but it’s about that dragon you told to watch for. One of my informants reported that he lives and is attempting to find you!”

Volt clenched his fists, trembling as static began to flow along his body.

He turned to the two stunned kids with a sad smile, “I’m sorry, but I’ll have to take a rain check. There is something that I must finish once and for all.”

After saying a few words to Teo, Volt left his stunned daughter and apprentice behind. He raided the royal armory, donned his armor, sword, and grabbed various other items to help him in his battle.

Who wears their armor all the time? Volt mused as he turned to his left.

Soon he stood in front of a small pillar with a red pillow atop it. Enshrined upon the pillow was a small charcoal ring that crackled with streaks of lightning.

Volt took the ring and placed it on his hand without any fanfare. Instantly, a snarky voice rang out inside his head.

“Volt my boy, where have you been? It’s been years since you visited. Who are we killing? Another demon? Laying waste to a nation? Wiping out elves again?”

“One final battle Taíno. We’re killing a dragon.”

“Oh! Joy joy joy~! I’ve never killed a dragon. This'll be fun~!”

As Taíno yapped in his ear, Volt walked out of the armory.

His wife Victoria stood in the hall, blocking his way.

Although it had been decades since her youth, she still shone with every little bit of her former beauty thanks to reaching the peak of Tier Four.

“You cannot stop me, wife. I must do this alone.”

Victoria bit her lip and pulled her short husband into a hug. Volt reciprocated and drew a deep breath to remember his wife’s scent.

“I know I can’t stop you. You’ve had so much taken from you that I wouldn’t be a good wife if I was selfish here. Go, my darling. Go have your final battle. If you fall and it still breathes, I’ll finish the job.”

“You're too good for me. If I fall, remember to take the two young ones to train in Thunder Mountains. They’re ready.”

“Farewell, my Thunder.”

“Farewell, my Sun.”

Volt left without fanfare, leading a party of two dozen of his most trusted assassins and scouts. They knew the land, the people, and the way. The group would protect him, clear the way, and rotate out with those who knew the area better along the path. All in order to reach the dragon as soon as possible.

I mean it would be troublesome if that bastard escaped or did something fishy. Volt thought as he left his castle and family behind.

Each and every day as they traveled for a month, Volt meditated. He honed his bloodlust, his body, and his mind to their peak states.

Finally, after a long trip, he reached a mountain that had been hollowed out by a wide cave that led deep into its bowels. He instantly knew that this was the place. An oddly familiar chill radiated from the cave, even though the last time he’d felt it had been so long ago...

Standing in front of the cave, Volt turned to his two dozen men and women.

“This is where our journey ends. Thank you for accompanying me this far.”

The group kneeled and shouted in unison.

“It has been an honor serving you, King Volt!”

Volt just smiled, “You guys been practicing that?”

“Yes King Volt!”

One of the younger scouts replied to which he was elbowed and sent death glares from the rest of the party.

Volt laughed and shook his head.

“Haha! Thank you all for this farewell present. This old man is grateful. Live well and make the country proud in my stead.”

“Farewell, King Volt!”

Volt walked into the cave without another word. As the darkness overtook him, he pulled forth a scroll and released dozens of lights to lead the way.

It’s time to finish this once and for all. Volt unsheathed his sword.


Edited by: KuroYousei

2