Day 14
260 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 1 - Trap Mage

 

Static and clouds filling his vision, Urist floated along with the void absentmindedly.

“What is this place? What is this stuff? Where am I?”

His voice resounded in the void echoing along with the clouds bouncing back and forth to him. This was the first time his mind wasn’t filled with scattered memories so he decided to explore this seemingly strange and endless place.

And so he floated along a direction to what seemed like an eternity before the clouds started to part for a single streak of blue lightning lit up the cloud world. The void trembled as the thunder’s mighty roar traveled forth blasting him away.

...

Waking up Urist rubbed his eyes and yawned, Well that was unexpected, I can actually remember that world. What kind of force was that? How powerful is that streak of lightning? Will I be visiting it again?

As his thoughts ran wild he felt a pressure on his chest again. With a sigh already knowing who it was he pinched Uria’s cheek causing her to yelp in surprise.

Urist felt a headache coming on, “Why do you keep doing this?”

Pouting Uria pushed Urist off the bed, “Because it’s comfortable you dummy! Why did you pinch me?” 

Deciding to dodge the question, Urist dug out the oxygen crystal and lit it up, the Pinky size stone had now become the size of two fingers. This made Urist raise an eyebrow, it seemed these crystals had some pretty good growth.

Urist got everyone up to work as they had a lot to do. Today Rat would be accompanying him to the civilization stone to greet the new dwarfs. Walking into the room Urist appraised the dwarfs standing before him.

They didn’t seem to be arguing with each other so that was a plus, the four noticed Urist presence and started walking up to him asking him questions. He replied to all of them and then started to ask them their names and jobs.

Emu the wind mage that looked like a girl, but was actually a boy. Regular brown hair, red eyes, and a charming smile. Urist couldn’t put his finger on why this mage made him feel like something was off about him. That is until the mage asked if there were any pretty girls around, it was at that moment he figured out what was wrong.

Ah, this one is a womanizer.

Moving along to the others there was an archer and warrior respectively called Uto and Indar. The anchor wore simple brown clothing, sort of matching his black hair and green eyes. His most eye-catching feature was the scar running down his neck, and his tall stature. His voice was very husky and raspy from the wound on his neck so he spoke a few words. Urist got the feeling that he a stoic type of fellow that spoke with action rather than words and welcomed him. 

The warrior next to him was stocky and wielded a mace and shield. He wore cloth gambeson which made Urist eyes sparkle at the sight. Indar had dark orange hair, blue eyes a face that had some scars and a majestic beard to go with it that went down to his chest. 

When Indar was introducing himself he was kind of weirded out by Urist staring at him so intently. Urist felt a little awkward and explained how he loved the design of gambeson vs. leather armor for a few reasons.

Urist made a note of checking out the market pricing for such armor and talked with the last dwarf. Her name was Stonechild and a Stone Crafter she was quite the looker with her tan skin and defined muscles. She had a good face, sporting straight black hair tied in a ponytail, strong brown eyes and wore loosely fitting clothing.

She had a good set of assets that made Urist face turn to stone, showing not a hint of emotion. She seemed like a serious spirit asking if there was any good stone around and if there were any tools to use.

Urist liked her attitude of wanting to get to work, with a smile he welcomed them to their new home. He asked Rat to lead them along to their new jobs, as he wanted to get ready to lead the expedition to the mountains wanting to obtain some more metal.

It wouldn’t hurt to stock up on more in case he was right, the one thing he did though was to add a member to the team. He had Saera join them on the expedition for the reason of her skill that could identify objects.

He wanted to be the first to know if his prediction was true, it would take only a few more hours to know the effects. By the time they were finished, they’d be back to base and the event would most likely have begun. While he headed out he gathered another team to go out and set up various traps throughout the bamboo and marked their location with the cloth he bought at the market.

Most of the traps set were for killing rats, he asked for this for two reasons. To get an idea for the rat population, and two to reduce it. The stay at home dwarfs would get to making the foundation for the walkway as the earth mages covered the wooden wall with hardened stone.

Other then making some holes in the fence, for the spears and pushers, he had another idea. They would also dig a channel outside the wall and the earth twins would harden it. A little devilish idea he came up with to add another layer of defense.

It’ll be a little hard to pull off, but I think it will be a nice weapon to add to the wall. As he was thinking of such things a voice rang out in his ear.

“What do you think you are doing? You haven’t trained enough to go outside Urist!”

Turning around he knew that voice was Uria reprimanding him, “Mo said I have enough combat power to handle a boar by myself. So I’ve kept my promise and trained enough of the basics to learn how to fight with a spear.”

“But you just ca-”

“Uria I must do this, I need to set an example.”

“Why can’t you just lead from the back? Why must you put yourself in danger?”

Seeing Uria’s sad face Urist bitterly smiled and ruffled her hair.

“I just can’t change who I am. Don’t worry, I’ll always come back alive.”

Turning away from her Urist joined up with the waiting expedition. Leaving Uria by herself looking down at the ground clenching her fists frustrated. 

 

Part 2 - Bamboo Timer

 

The trip was easy to make for the seven dwarfs, thanks to their efforts of clearing the path every time they went. They walked between the two mountains gathering dust and ore in large amounts that were double than what they had gotten from their last trip. This was thanks to Urist carrying most of it like a mule using his strength.

Although they had to take more breaks to allow Urist to eat he felt it was worth it. With this much metal, the junkies at the forge could keep going on for some time. Instead of worrying about the weight he was instead checking the timer in his head every so often.

Watching the time tick before him and within his head, the sense of danger was growing within him. By now they were coming close back to base, they would reach in about a half hour and the timer was about to go off in ten minutes.

He decided to tell the expedition to wait a bit near some bamboo as to wait for the timer to hit. They all accepted their leader's selfishness and waited at a thicket and settled around taking a load off.

The minutes passed quickly with him watching the timer intently not wishing to spare a look away.

3… 2… 1…

Bamboo Seeding Event has begun

Happy hunting.

It was a lackluster message, but the changes around Urist and co. were eye-opening. All around them the bamboo limbs started to lengthen and flower at an exponential rate. The color of the flowers was a shade of blood making the air of greenery turn quite sinister.

Looking around, the party tensed at the sight not sure what to do in the situation. It didn’t take long though for the first seeds to appear around the group. Urist picked one of the seeds off the limb and started to examine it.

It was an ordinary plump seed of a bamboo plant, nothing that exceptional. He turned the seed over to Yri for her to look at it, using her ability she started to read. An Urist could see her face become completely pale reading the description. 

Urist almost wanted to grab her shoulders and asked what she had seen, but held back the urge and waited for her to speak. The dwarfs also picked up on her expression and anxiously waited for Sarea to speak. She didn’t let them wait for long as she turned to Urist and gave a bitter smile.

“You really are crazy boss. You were right, these seeds might spell our doom if we don’t handle it correctly.”

“What did it tell you Saera, I want to know every single word and detail from what you learned. Take your time we aren’t in a rush yet.”

Taking a deep breath Saera looked at the seed and began to read once again.

“The seed is a grade G material. The abilities it has is increased growth, increased reproduction, and is considered a high energy source of food.”

Reaver asked a question, “So that’s it? Just more rats and good feed? I thought it would be more… You know terrifying.”

Yri looked and Reaver and sigh, “Maybe if that was just a few seeds, but this whole jungle is full of bamboo, and what of our north and south? We truly don't know how much bamboo is in the area. Another factor is I looked in the detail of how much energy this seed stores and ten or so seeds could fill a dwarf. Now imagine a rat, what would it become if it ate these seeds? 

“I’ll tell you a baby rat that ate one would become an adult within an hour, after eating another seed it will have all the energy it needs to seek reproduction. And the most terrifying side effect is that the growth won’t stop, the more seeds it eats the larger it will become.”

Baikm responded, “Won’t it be fine? Still? I mean the branches won’t keep seeding anyways right?”

As if to dash the dwarfs hopes the seeds fell to the ground just then and the dwarfs watched as new seeds started to appear. But they also noticed another thing that these seeds were a little thicker than the last ones and grew just as fast.

While they had been talking only ten minutes passed causing the dwarfs to shudder. Urist’s whole back was covered in cold sweat watching the seeds grow back.

He turned to the group, “We are returning home at once! We will have no more breaks!”

Returning to base, Urist took in the sight, the earth mages had worked hard. He guessed they had covered about forty percent of the wooden wall with stones and harden earth. The construction of the watchtowers was also going well three of the ten having been built.

Well built wouldn’t be quite correct, saying that their foundations were finished would be better. They had been built because Unicy figured it would help the structural integrity of the walkway. 

Along the part of the earthen covered wall, he could see the holes had been made. And on top of the wall, he could see Dwarfs setting up wooden pulleys on finished parts.

If he had a good amount of metal gears he would have opted to use them instead. Still, this cheaper alternative should be just as deadly. It worked like this, in total there would be twelve pulleys used in this construction, and the pulleys would be double looped by a rope. On one side would be a large pulley connected to the wall by a long and sturdy wooden pole and capped to prevent slippage.

On the other side was another pulley connected to the wall with a crank. The idea was one of the dwarfs would pull a pulley in which, turn the large pulley with maces on the face. In all honesty, a chain or gear system would have been a better idea, but with their limited metal and time, this would have to do. 

For now he couldn’t admire the craftsmanship, first, he had to break the bad news to everyone.

That he was right.

 

Part 3 - The Plan

 

Entering the base the dwarfs were surprisingly working their hardest to get the base strengthened to ready for a potential siege. 

Forger Hot worked at the kiln making batch after batch of blazing hot ingots. He didn’t spare a moment as he filled the crucible once again and put it back into the fire. On his side Blood Mage, Vlad was talking with Rune Smith Ajan about the designs Urist had given to them.

Rope Makers Ormila and Urmom were moving their hands as fast as they could on the rope as if their lives depended on it. The commoners Usbain and Fatty were working hard lifting rocks to the walls and helping finish the wall. The dwarfs that joined their base today were also helping out in carrying dirt and rocks in buckets to help.

And overseeing everything was Uria at the center setting out the commands that Urist had given to her. Urist felt something warm in his heart seeing everyone work hard not slacking in the face of his half baked warning.

The first to notice the expedition team was the Earth Mage Thar who was cladding the wall with rocks and soil before hardening.

“Hey the boss and everyone are back!”

This drew the rest of the dwarf's attention to which they stopped what they were doing and looked at Urist and co. with expectation. Seeing this Urist could only feel bitter and hang his head low, “I was correct. Everyone, gather around Saera and she will break the news to you.”

They dropped what they were doing and surrounded Saera to listen to her report. As they listened to some of them frown, others became pale and a few even excited. The one that had excitement plastered on his was the Blood Mage, Vlad. 

Catching his expression Urist rolled his eyes inwardly. No doubt he’s thinking of how much blood he’s going to be able to play with.

Of those scared out of their minds were the commoners since they didn’t know how to fight. Everyone else mainly frowned at the news not knowing what to say to this bombshell thrown at them.

While everyone was thinking, Urist jumped up to the finished part of the wall and readied himself. 

As the leader of this group, he had to inspire them to keep morale high. “We still have time to prepare and finish our defenses! Even if the rats eat the seeds it will take the time to grow. At most I feel we have three days before the first wave descends upon us. If we work hard we can finish the wall and get our defenses operational. 

“From now on will be splitting into teams. Team one will be the expedition team that’ll gather bamboo seeds, set traps and learns about the current rat population to which I will lead. Team two will be the smithing team, I want you to finish making the spears and maces for our defenses the one to be in charge of the production will be Forger Baikm.

“Team three will be working on finishing the wall and strengthening it; the twins Elana and Thar will be in charge of this. Team four will be the warriors that will be training together and to understand each other Unicy will be overseeing you. Team five will be dealing with base related utilities; such as food, water, clothing, and fire-related duties. Team five’s leader will be FireKeeper Uria and she will also be the one in charge of the base when I am out on an expedition.

“Remember everyone, as long as we prepare and ready ourselves; we will win, crush, and live to see another day. If you agree with me show me your battle cry!” 

Everyone eyes by now had become excited and raised a hand into the air and yelled at the top of their lungs, “OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!”

With a smile, Urist swung his hand into the sky, “Now go forth! And get ready, for we shall give those rats hell!”

The dwarfs broke up into their groups and got to work leaving the expedition team alone. General Unicy left the group to train up the warrior's teamwork. At that time Urist turned around and faced his expedition team which consisted of Fisherman Rat, Herb Maker Uroa, Warrior Elrish, Magic Tamer Reaver,  Wind Mage Emu, and The Meatsheid Fatty.

Seven members in total for the expedition team.

It wasn’t exactly the number he wanted to use for going outside, but it would have to do for now. He could summon more dwarfs to get the work done faster; only the points were a strategic resource that he couldn’t use carelessly.

Although he thought that he had splurged on some useless things such as how to make magic items. He regretted doing that even now, just the thought of wasting those points made him angry. Feeling he couldn’t dwell on such things anymore he chased away such thoughts and started speaking to the awaiting expedition team. 

“Alright, you guys take a break for an hour and come back to this spot. When you come back we will be gathering bamboo seeds in hopes to cut down on the food the rats can eat.”

Everyone nodded their heads and dispersed leaving him alone. Only he wasn’t alone when the expedition team left Uria popped up next to Urist.

“You're shameless, going out and endangering yourself. While leaving me here to manage the home. You know how to get under a girls skin.”

He could see that she was really angry at him for dumping all the responsibility onto her shoulders. I can’t blame her as I’m really acting selfishly for taking all the outside danger onto myself.

“I’m sorry Uria, you're pretty good at ordering everyone around so I thought it made sense. If there's anything I can do to make it up for you just tell me.”

When he said that he felt his skin crawl at Uria smiling expression.

“Anything I want huh? Then I will give you my conditions.”

“Name them!”

She put her hand in front of his face and put up one finger. 

“Number one you cannot die before me!”

“I don’t expect to die and I won’t let you die so that's acceptable.”

“Number two, you don’t push me out of your bed anymore!”

He gritted his teeth at her response and nodded his head.

“Alright fine! Anything else?”

Putting a finger on her lips Uria looked thoughtful for a moment before her smile widened. 

“The last request I have is I want a hug!”

“Eh? That’s it?”

 

Part 4 - Kill Them All

 

Urist stood dumbly as Uria closed her eyes and held out her arms outstretched. He didn’t know how to react to the sudden request and just stood there staring at her.

He waited so long that Uria eyebrows scrunched up, “Do you know what a hug is? Did you forget such a simple thing?”

Sighing at how shameless she was, he moved until he was only half a foot away. At this distance, he could feel her breath hitting him and her cute features more distinctly. A little dazed and awkward he hugged Uria with both arms bringing her into a bear hug.

Uria in return held Urist tightly the two could feel each other warmth. The action stole each other's breath not sure want to do at this point.

It was at this point that Uria brought up the courage and whispered in his ear.

Her breath tickled his ear.

“Be safe out there ok?”

“Of course.”

Regretfully, Uria let go of him, turned and walked away without looking at him. He wanted to reach out and stop her but static filled his eyesight. Holding his now aching forehead a memory overlapped Uria’s retreating figure.

The figure spoke in a warm tone, “Even if you’re useless, you will always be mine.”

He tried to hold onto the memory slipping out of his hands, watching the static go up in smoke and the world started to return. His head now hurt so he decided to sit down and gather his thoughts trying to brand the figure into his memory.

She was taller than Uria by afoot, having long flaming hair and wore a cut sleeve golden jacket showing off her toned arms. On the back of the jacket, a green tiger had been sewn on and to match her jacket she wore black pants. Even if he couldn’t see her face, her voice was enchanting full of confidence and power.

‘Who is she? What is her name? How do I know her?’

Questions filled his mind and he felt annoyed that he couldn’t remember anything other than her figure. During the time of his break, he sat their resting thinking with his mind trying to search for what memories he could remember.

Time passed on and the rested expedition team came back to the gates to see leaning on the wall Urist with his eyes closed.

It was Rat who poked him awake, “Hey boss you asleep?”

“Hm? No, I was just resting my eyes so don’t worry about that, is everyone one ready?”

“Yep, we got the bags.”

Getting up from the ground Urist patted the dust off and replied. “Then let's get to a gathering and kill some rats.”

Before long the group headed out of the base, as expected of how much time they spent in base their there was already a thin layer of seeds on the ground. To save energy Urist said they should only gather from the branches and not pick up the ground seed.

By now the seeds were about the size of half a pinky and the bamboo itself had become larger at least by an inch. To harvest the seeds everyone used their knives to cut the bamboo branches off. Urist hoped that by using this method they could decrease the number of seeds being populated near their home.

Despite the forest turning blood red, the birds were out and about chirping cheerfully around the dwarfs. It was nice to hear when they were doing such a boring task while harvesting. Although they did have some eventful times when they come across rats eating the seeds along, those they saw they smashed or stabbed to death.

They didn’t kill that many, only about thirty or so rats, only seeing such numbers Urist frowned wondering how many there would fight later. If there was this many in this section of the forest how many existed in its entirety?

With such distracting thoughts, he missed killing a rat with his spear. The stab was shallow only nicking the rat's right eye, as he was about to strike again the rat ran away in fear. This rat was pretty fast so he couldn’t catch up to the little rodent.

Since he lost it, he could only get back to gathering more bamboo seeds.

‘Oh well I missed one, we’ve already done a pretty good job it won't matter that much.’

“Hey, boss it’s getting pretty dark shouldn’t we head home?”

Turning to the direction of the voice Urist could she Emu shouting at him with everyone next to him. Looking at their bags he could see that they had, had a good harvest their bags full of seeds.

“Alright let’s call it a day and return home to eat.”

And so the expedition team headed back to base to have their fill of food and drink and to rest their tired bodies. While leaving Urist felt that instead of doing a good job, the dangers weighing on his mind had increased for some reason. He could only shake it off since they were already doing everything they could with their limited manpower.

‘Whatever comes I’ll deal with it.’ Throwing his fears away he led the group back to base.

But unknown to him and the team there was a small lone figure holding it’s bleeding eye with one hand while eating a seed in the other. Pure hatred radiated from the small black rat watching the retreating figures full of scorn.

It wouldn’t be that long that Urist would curse his carelessness for not killing this rat with all his being while he had the chance. 

Only in the world, there is no pill for regret.

Rat Tide timer activated 6 Days 13 Hours 42 Mins

Beast Swarm timer activated 14 Days 13 Hours 42 Mins

Point Amount:  6143

4