Argonsville Training Center
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter VIII: Argonsville Training Center

Kenneth and Tyrone had taken some breaks during their training sessions, as the toddler couldn't go very long without food.

After a few more hours of testing the spells Kenneth had written down, the duo looked outside the window to find that it was already nearing nighttime. 

Remembering that he had a walk with Lucas scheduled late in the night, Kenneth and Tyrone soon found themselves asleep. They needed as much energy as they could regain for later on.  

After a short nap with Tyrone, the two were called downstairs. It was already dinnertime, and they did not waste time arriving early.

Lena was thankfully present , and her bright and cheery personality seemed to have returned. She was no longer feeling frightened from the earlier incident. 

In fact, she took it as a lesson to learn how to counter Mental Magic users. Because other than the mind breaking abilities they possessed, they did not have much else. 

Lena also somehow managed to catch Lucas when he had gone out to grab a drink earlier. Pulling him into her room, Lucas soon found information about his outing with Kenneth was being wrung out from his mouth by Lena. 

So the number of people had increased, but the group's plans were still untouched, and the same. 

Kenneth had told his siblings about the peculiar experience he had with the Mental Magic grimoire back at the Public Library. 

As expected, they too were perplexed. Whenever they had gone to the library they'd simply pick off the books they needed and would read them until their allotted time was up. Even the impatient Lucas who preferred using his brawn to learn through experience had found Kenneth's entire ordeal weird.

It was a game of whoever had better memory for the people who dared to enter the library. If they managed to remember all the information they learned about, they'd be rewarded with new power. 

Once dinner was finished and everybody had gone back up to their rooms, a silence ensued in the house. The only sound audible was the TV, as George was busy watching his shows. 

This was a frequent habit of the siblings' father. George would stay on the TV after dinner all the way into the night when Mikaela had finished the housework and they'd go to bed. 

The current time was 11:50. Ten minutes from midnight, and the sound of the TV could still be heard all the way from upstairs. While the second floor of the house was very much silent, the first floor was crowded with Mikaela, who was washing the dishes. The *clink* sound she'd make whenever the glasses bumped into each other were somehow loud enough to rival the blaring voices of the celebrities featured on television.

On a normal day, most of the siblings would've long been asleep, and would find themselves waking up before the chickens crowed. 

Lucas being the odd one out, as he'd stay up late. So for him, this was mostly a normal day.

For the three siblings, this was a special covert operation. The mission?

Avoid detection from their parents and sneak out of the house. 

It was by no means an easy job. The slightest bit of noise would instantly wake up their parents, who were particularly sensitive to any external stimuli. 

Fortunately for the siblings, this was where one of Kenneth's newly made spells would come into motion. 

Mind Link. It was a spell that allowed Kenneth to transfer a portion of his consciousness into a person. Kenneth would feel everything the person he was "linked" with would feel.

Mental communication was also a thing. The siblings could just talk through the link, allowing for their operation to be much easier. 

He had long established a link with Lucas and Lena. After dinner, he had them gather beside the stairs and personally injected his mana into them. 

Thus the Link was there, and could be activated at any moment.

The only downside was that during the spell, Kenneth's body would be almost immobilized, depending on how much of his consciousness he chose to put inside his siblings.

"Alright. I've checked up with Tyrone, who already told me that Mother and Father have entered their room. It's been fifteen minutes, and they should be fast asleep by now. Lena, Lucas, I need you two to confirm your presence."

Opening his eyes from his crib, Kenneth initiated the Link. It did not take long for both Lena and Lucas to accept it, and soon the trio were in a voice chat. 

As this was a special occasion, Tyrone had opted to sleep downstairs. This wasn't rare, as he would often do this. 

I'm right here, little brother. I also heard the door to Mother and Father's room close long ago." 

"Same here. Their footsteps haven't left the room in a while now." 

With their rooms being the closest to their parents, Lena and Lucas were naturally able to gather crucial information on their parents' status. 

"Good. Let's have Lena exit her room first. Remember, slow and steady. Try to make as little noise as you can." Reminding Lena to slowly open her door, Kenneth focused his mind on the consciousness he had sent his sister. 

Soon Kenneth's vision began to change into that of Lena's. He could gather that he was inside of her room, and that Lena was currently right beside the door. 

Gripping onto the doorknob, Lena slowly twisted the metal sphere in a clockwise motion, and soon a *click* noise rang throughout the room. 

This startled Lena, who freaked out from. Her scream would have woken up their parents, if not for Kenneth, who had taken advantage of this time to use another of his spells. 

This one was Mental Puppetry. Apparently it mostly worked when paired with Mind Link, and allowed Kenneth to use his consciousness to control Lena's body for a short period of time. 

Possessing a faster processing rate than normal humans, Kenneth was able to react fast enough to use his spell. He channeled his mana to Lena's hand and quickly brought it to her mouth, muffling her scream long before her voice came out.

"Keep calm, I told you. You've got the door open, so you just need to slide it slowly." 

Hearing Kenneth assure her, Lena nodded. Taking a few deep breaths (silently) to regain her composure, she once again brought her hand to the doorknob and slowly pulled the wooden door to the side. 

From there on there were no major issues. Other than the creaks that happened as a result of the doors being old, everything went well. 

Stepping out of her room in casual wear, Kenneth directed Lena through his link to head to the stairs and wait for Lucas. 

Lucas, on the other hand, was in a different situation. He would have to open the door to Kenneth's room and pick him up from the crib. 

Kenneth had the ability to get up and do so by himself, but the sound his walking stick would make would wake up his parents. 

Finishing up with Lena, Kenneth redirected his focus to the consciousness in Lucas' mind. His vision soon became blurry and he soon found himself inside his older brother's head. 

He, too, was beside the door. Following the same process Lena did, Lucas was able to open the door to his room, and snuck out. His heavy body would make a slight creak in the wooden floors every time he moved, but the noise wasn't loud enough that their parents would hear it. 

Then, moving through the dark hallway, Lucas tiptoed to Kenneth's room. 

Unlike Lucas' and Lena's old wooden doors, Kenneth's was made of brand new material. This helped them in the long run, since the wood didn't make as much noise as the other two, but this blatant act of favoritism did leave a bitter taste in Lucas' mouth. 

Not that he did care, since even their parents' room was still made of the same old material theirs was. 

Sneaking into Kenneth's room, Lucas found the toddler passed out in his crib. 

While his body was out cold, Kenneth was meanwhile active in his mind. The mana in his body was converging rapidly into his brain, signifying that he was still using mana even while asleep. 

Taking Kenneth's unconscious body into his arms, Lucas quickly exited as fast as he came.

Meeting Lena beside the stairs, the three siblings were soon faced with another problem. How were they supposed to get down the stairs without it creaking? 

Earlier, when the family was having breakfast and Lucas was the last to wake up, he was already making a loud noise when he was heading down. 

So Kenneth wasn't confident that they'd be able to get down without making noise. 

"Don't worry. We've got Tyrone to help." 

Turning their attention to Tyrone, the family dog, Lena and Lucas soon found the dog in question waiting for them at the bottom of the stairs. 

The dog, too, realized their current situation. Yet this was his time to shine. 

Being smart enough to be able to cast magic, Tyrone decided to use this ability of his to help the siblings. It just so happened that his innate element was Earth. 

And what did he do with it? He started by making sturdy steps made of soft stone directly above the original wooden stairs. 

There was their answer to the problem. Using this moment, the siblings quickly moved down the stairs and were able to get to the first floor without issue. 

And from there on it was smooth sailing. Opening the front door, the siblings (plus Tyrone) were at the front yard and were now heading towards the Argonsville Training Center!

"I've never been out this late at night. The city seems to be as awake as it is in the morning." Kenneth mused, intrigued by the bustling city atmosphere that was still very much alive. 

"Argonsville has always had the label of "The City That Never Sleeps." I think it's very fitting." Lena agreed as she joined Kenneth in eyeing the spectacular buildings that glowed brightly in the night sky. 

"You should come with me to the gym then. Even at night there's plenty of people working out." Lucas offered Kenneth to join him on his gym trips. 

"I'd rather not, honestly. I feel like even trying to lift up a two kilogram weight would kill me." Kenneth remarked. 

"Nonsense. If you can carry your walking stick around, then you can work out along with me." 

Even right now Kenneth wasn't using his walking stick. He was riding on Tyrone's back just like earlier. 

"Well, we better pick up the pace. Wouldn't want Mother or Father to wake up and realize we aren't home." 

"You're right. To the Argonsville Training Center!" 

Soon the siblings had come across a square shaped building that towered above the houses beside it. In big bold letters the text "A.T.G" was written on the neon sign above it. 

The A.T.G was modeled to have a vast underground network of private rooms that customers could use. 

Training in the A.T.G wasn't done through physical training. Rather, customers would pay the establishment a fee for using the Virtual Training Gear, which was the headset that allowed for people to train inside virtual worlds without having the need to move a muscle. 

This was especially helpful for people like Kenneth, who'd find it hard to move around without tiring himself. Through the V.T.G even disabled people could train their magic to its limit, as disabilities were mere drawbacks of the real world. 

Without wasting time the siblings had headed inside. After paying the kind elf receptionist by the counter (using Lena's allowance), they proceeded to head down a flight of stairs that continued underground. 

They had bought a room that was about the size of their parents' master bedroom, but had three mattresses set around the area. 

Quickly jumping into bed with Tyrone, Kenneth took out the V.T.G's stored on top of the nightstand beside the bed. 

Then, putting the Training Gear over Tyrone's head and watching him drift off to sleep, Kenneth soon did the same and found himself growing drowsy the moment he placed the headset over his eyes.

Allowing the body to rest while being able to train, now that was a feat of technology even other races would find praiseworthy.

0