Vol. 2 Chapter 21 : Enemies Lurking in the Shadows
152 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meona's body completely froze like time stood still, Revlo intentionally lowered his voice so that others could not hear him but Meona did.

Her movements suddenly turned robotic and stiff, she slowly looked at Revlo with an astonished expression.

"R-really? You're not kidding me right?" 

She stammered in her sentence but was still able to utter a sentence out of her mouth and continued to bore a hole in the back of Revlo's head with her gaze.

"Why would I lie?" 

Revlo said without looking back, the cadence in his voice was still monotone like what he just said was not a big deal at all.

"B-bu-bu-but, I never heard that [The Lightning Demi-God] had a child or heard of any such rumors"

She murmured, the way that Revlo talked so nonchalantly almost convinced her that Revlo was telling the truth.

"Wait...!" she exclaimed.

She ran up to Revlo and inspected his face.

Her pupils went up and down, she got to admit, Revlo was very handsome, if it weren't for the fact that he was only  9 years old and was too young for her taste, she would be blushing madly right about now.

But she noticed that Revlo's facial features had distinct similarities to the images that she saw on Vorne, the only difference was that Revlo had a flat nose and black eyes instead of yellow, however, when her gaze was locked on Revlo's eyes...

*ache

Her head suddenly started aching a little bit, she then started sweating as she unexpectedly picked up an otherworldly aura coming from Revlo.

She staggered and took a few steps backward.

'Huh, what was that?'

She clutched her head with both of her hands, but the aching pain in her head still lingered.

When she tried to look at Revlo's eyes once again, her instincts suddenly had gone off rails and started warning her to not repeat that action, so she turned her eyes away from Revlo's face.

"What the..."

She asked in a puzzled tone.

When she glanced at Revlo once again while avoiding looking at his eyes, she suddenly felt that his figure got a lot bigger, like he was some sort of being that should not be trifled with.

Fear palpitated in her mind as she recalled that profound and domineering aura that Revlo emanated.

Revlo, who saw her condition, sighed and retracted the spirit power that was leaking out of his eyes, he didn't expect that Meona would suddenly start scrutinizing his face like that which subjected her to an intense spiritual pressure.

"Sorry about that.."

Revlo said and continued to walk away.

The only reason he let his spirit power leak in the first place was to intimidate people from bothering him.

Seeing his figure getting farther and farther, Meona gritted her teeth and gathered up the courage to approach him.

"Hey, we are not done talking yet"

Hearing her yelling, Revlo still didn't pause his steps.

"Are you really the son of [The Lightning Demi-God]?"

Meona asked, it seems like she chose to ignore what happened earlier and continued to proceed with their previous conversation.

However, Revlo didn't reply to her question and asked her a question of his own.

"Aren't you going to ask about what happened to you earlier?"

Meona flinched at his question, recalling that intense aura that caused her to sweat, Meona smiled bitterly.

"I know what that was, my father told me about it, it is called spiritual pressure right? It happens when if you look directly at one's eye with the condition that one's spirit power exceeds another's by a large margin"

Meona regained her composure and explained confidently, her previous fearful expression seemed like a lie.

"Well it's not a big deal, I can just guard my spirit power or avoid looking at your eyes, I'll be fine"

Meona said with a wry smile.

"I have never noticed but your face does resemble the lightning hero a lot, there is also the fact that he never showed up for many decades now, I guess there is a chance that you are telling the truth"

She said and looked at the blue sky and wore a pondering expression.

'His spirit power, it was even more intense than my father's, don't tell me.."

Meona shook her head in denial and didn't think too deeply about it.

After a minute of walking, her stomach suddenly made a grumbling noise.

"The son of the lightning hero, let's go eat lunch together, tell me some stories about your dad"

Meona said with a teasing smile but Revlo could see a flash of excitement in her eyes.

Revlo was impressed that she did not ask him to meet his father or anything like that, looks like Meona was not an insensible person and knew how to control herself.

'But man, doesn't she have anywhere else to go?' 

Revlo said in his thoughts as he turned his head to look in a certain direction.

Revlo spotted a shadow that was following them around discreetly, sensing that the shadow didn't have any negative intentions, Revlo guessed that the shadow must be Meona's bodyguard.

Looking at her carefree expression, there was a high probability that even Meona did not know of the shadow's existence at all.

'Well she is the daughter of the town's lord'

Revlo had arrived at the vicinity of the inn where he was staying and was not surprised to see a group of knights lining up in front as well as a luxurious-looking carriage just in front.

Meona was surprised at this spectacle, she recognized the carriage that was parked in front of May's Inn, with a puzzled voice she said while pointing at it with her index finger.

"That is my father's carriage, what is he doing here?"

There were also people crowding around and whispering at each other.

"It's Lady Meona"

One of the people recognized her and everyone suddenly turned their heads to look in her direction.

"Good afternoon, lady Meona, may I know the reason why the esteemed town lord came here along with the noble knights?"

One of the people in the crowd who was curious walked up to her and asked.

But Meona was just as confused as they were and shook her head.

"I don't know, I'm guessing someone important is residing in that inn"

Meona guessed but her eyes suddenly shot open and looked at Revlo, who was walking towards the inn entrance without stopping.

"Ah, of course, that old man is probably here for him"

Meona could pretty much guess what was going on here, Revlo said that he was staying at an inn, seeing him walking towards the entrance without caring that a bunch of knights was blocking the way, she guessed that he stayed at this particular inn with a flashy sign that says 'May's Inn'.

She also knew what her father was like, even though she was not politically inclined, she could pretty much guess that her father wanted to garner Revlo's favor to raise his status or something along those lines.

She suddenly had a weird conflicting feeling welling up inside her, she could imagine his father licking Revlo's shoes just so he could get the opportunity to get on his the latter's good side.

This is what she didn't like about her father, he would be a tyrant to those weaker than him but he would act all humble and generous to those stronger than him and in Revlo's case, it was because of his background that her father had to be respectful to him.

The character switch was so drastic that even she, her daughter, did not know which one was her father's real personality.

She didn't want to stick around and see the sight of her father acting all servile and boot-lick a 9-year-old kid and she wanted to get out of here as soon as possible.

It was too humiliating and shameful seeing him like that, just as she was about to walk away, she heard an aged voice enter her ears.

"Meona, is that you?" One of the knights said and approached her.

Meona recognized that voice and swiftly turned her head.

"Uncle Salvador" she smiled.

He was the master-ranked knight that served as the town lord's right-hand man, he was also one of Meona's tutors.

"How did the adventurer's qualification test go?" Salvador asked.

She put her hand in her pocket and pulled out a stone-colored badge with the adventurer guild's insignia on it and showed it to Salvador.

"I passed with flying colors" she said with a cheeky smug on her face.

"How wonderful, congratulations" Salvador smiled but he was still wearing a helmet that covered his face so no one could see it.

"By the way, aren't you going to greet the lord?" Salvador said.

"Why would I want to greet him? We see each other every day" Meona said while frowning.

"Well, that's true but it wouldn't hurt would it?" Salvador pleaded with her.

Meona groaned, she respected and admired the knight in from of him, not only was he her tutor, but she also considered him a part of her family, his loyalty towards her father was deep and she was grateful to him.

Revlo entered the inn's doors, the knights were already informed of Revlo's appearance beforehand, seeing his looks that matched exactly how they were told, they didn't even hesitate and let Revlo in without making a single sound.

Revlo didn't spare them a glance as he entered the premises, he looked around and saw that the first floor was mostly empty, unlike the first time he stepped inside.

'He probably rented out the entire inn' Revlo thought.

From the corner of his eye, he could see a middle-aged man wearing a fancy-looking outfit smiling at him.

Behind the reception desk, he could see the mother-daughter duo standing there with an anxious look on their faces.

"Grr" Browny growled behind him, he clearly remembered the last time he went inside but immediately got told to stay in a monster stable because he was not allowed to stay indoors.

Just as Browny was about to go, Revlo raised his arms to stop him.

"It's okay, you can stay" Revlo said.

He looked ahead and the little fairy behind the desk flinched.

"If that is alright with you" Revlo asked for permission.

The little fairy raised her hands and awkwardly shook them and nervously said.

"Ah, that's fine... you don't need to worry about that"

"I'll provide the appropriate compensation" Revlo calmly said as he pulled a gold coin out of his side bag.

The little fairy grew even more nervous, a drop of sweat was slowly dripping out of her forehead but Revlo could vaguely see a dollar sign showing up in her eyes.

"I said it's fine, you don't need to do that" 

Despite her words, Revlo felt that she wanted nothing more than to grab the gold coin in his hands away from him but she still showed the pretense of being apprehensive.

Revlo twirled his index finger in a circular motion, he used wind magic to slowly move the gold coin towards the desk.

In a blink of an eye, with the reflexes that even surprised Revlo, the little fairy swiftly grabbed the floating gold coin and put it in her pocket.

The town lord, Baron Stewart scrutinized Revlo up and down, he was deeply impressed the moment he saw him, Revlo gave off a powerful and elusive aura and the calm demeanor that he displayed would make one think that he was not someone ordinary.

If Revlo was standing somewhere in some random crowd, he would be the center of attention just by his sheer presence alone.

'As expected of a child from the Mason Clan'

Stewart inwardly said.

In a dark cave, one could see a man was wearing a black cloak that hid his face was standing there, he was strangely skinny that it almost looked like his flesh and fat disappeared and all that was left was bones.

However, he emanated a powerful aura that makes any person not underestimate him.

He was holding a tiny yellow gem in his fingers, his fingers were very pale and white like it was devoid of any blood, he transferred a large amount of his mana into this gem as he chuckled in a voice that was unpleasant to listen to.

"Kukuku"

His voice was spine-chilling as his laugh echoed in the moist cave.

There were two large trolls and a blue goblin trembling in the corner as they looked at the cloaked man in fear, they had also had a yellow gem embedded in their foreheads but it lacked any sort of luster on it.

Surprisingly, the two trolls and the blue goblin were all expert-ranked monsters but in front of this individual that was holding a tiny gem while laughing like a crazy person, they seemed to be harmless in comparison.

Footsteps echoed in the cave, another cloaked man appeared, he knelt on his right knee in front of the cackling maniac and said in a respectful tone.

"My liege, preparations are now complete, the dungeon raid will fail, we are now prepared to attack"

The man finally stopped laughing and looked at the kneeling man in front of him.

His pale face was finally revealed, he had fangs that were protruding out of his lips and had blood red-eyes that contained madness within.

Those fangs indicated that he belonged to one of the minor races, The Vampire Race.

"What timing, I'm almost done with the preparations on my side as well, kekekeke"

In a hoarse voice, the man uttered.

The yellow gem in his hands suddenly glowed brightly as a smirk emerged from his face.

"Hahaha, it's finally here, it almost took up my entire mana reserve three times over but it's finally finished"

"I congratulate my liege on managing to complete the perfected mutation stone" the kneeling man said.

"So those resurgence bastards didn't lie to me" 

The man said while turning his head to look at three trembling monsters in the corner.

The man grinned which prompted the monsters to tremble even harder.

His gaze suddenly shifted to look in the direction where the Turron Town was located and he licked his dry lips like he was looking at a delicious meal.

"It's time to move" he said and disappeared into a puff of black smoke.

The kneeling man behind him disappeared the same way as well.

The monsters who were left behind didn't move an inch, still trembling as if they would be executed on the spot if they even lifted a finger, the fear imprinted in their minds towards that man in black was that deep.

10