Chapter 2: Erasmus and Eva
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        “Sir, you clearly told me I could join the hunting party,” Eva argued. Her body tingled from the fear of being called to the throne room. Who knew a king could look so deadly with a clenched jaw?

        The room felt bigger than it was. There was one red carpet that led to the bronze throne, where Erasmus sat. The heat the torches in the room gave off excited Eva’s flames.

        Erasmus’s meaty finger tapped his throne’s clothed arm. “Yes, I did,” he said, “because you told me that you know how to work with fire.”

        “Which I do.” Eva pointed at her hair. “Taa-daa!”

        Next to her, Axis snorted snot into his gloved hand. Embarrassed, he tucked a strand of his curly, slightly spiky, black hair behind his ear. He had to make sure he looked nice in front of the beautiful lady. He held his beefy hands behind him.

        Erasmus glared at Eva. “Yes, but I didn’t realize you were a woman.”

        Eva huffed. “And what’s wrong with that?” She didn’t like being bossed around, especially by a man. “Listen, my liege. My hair is made from flames. Last I checked, fire is the shapeshifter’s weakness, nay?”

        “Yeah, but–”

        “So why can’t I join the party?” Eva gave Erasmus a knowing look.

        Axis stepped in for her. He shuffled his body across the carpet until he stood in front of Eva, but he kept a fair distance between her and him. He did not want to be anywhere near her flames. “This girl here, um...”

        “Evangeline Estiemiéres,” Eva proudly stated.

        For a second, Axis said nothing, as he tried to let her name sink in. “Eva,” he finally stated. “My king, she clearly applied, and you accepted her, like how a student is accepted into a monastery school. And she’s right. We need her hair in order to defeat the shapeshifter.”

        “Thank you, Axis.” Eva’s snarky behavior clearly showed, but deep down, she knew she was in love–maybe not with Axis, but definitely with his princely voice.

        Erasmus thought for a second before he spoke. “You’re right, Axis, and you, too, Eva.”

        “Evangeline Estiemiéres,” she rudely corrected.

        “Evangeline Estiemiéres.” This was why Erasmus did not like women. They were cocky, little brutes. Facing Eva made him glad he never had a queen. “Young lady, you made a viable argument, so I guess I have no choice but to let you stay. Axis will teach you the ways of battle.”

        Eva nearly exploded. She did it! She managed to keep her place on the hunting squad! Even better, the man with the oh so handsome, perfectly symmetrical face was going to be her mentor.

        He smiled at her. “I’d be glad to, my liege, but first, will you excuse me? This soldier needs to powder his cheeks.”

        Percival, a big man with long hair and a beard, gave him a funny look. “I thought only women did that.”

        “Touché.” Axis said nothing more. He gave a flick of his wrist and turned on his heel. Off he went, out of the throne room and into one of the castle’s painting-filled corridors.

        Eva watched him leave, a suspicious look on her young face. She crossed her arms. “Hm, he’s hiding something. Just what is it?” she observed.

1