Chapter 7: Venus, Part III
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The boat I was on sailed across the sea as smooth as a blunt knife cutting through leather. The waves caused my stomach to churn, feeling like I was constantly fighting to keep my bile in my stomach. I couldn’t bare to look up, constantly keeping my eyes fixed on the ocean waves.

The trip felt like an eternity. As I saw wooden planks come into view, I pushed past everyone on board to get off the ship. I couldn’t wait for the crew to set up the gangplank, praying I could hold on a minute longer. Once the gangplank was lowered, I rushed off the ship hanging my head over the edge of the port, fully expecting to vomit.

Once my stomach calmed down, I lifted my head to see a city that rose like a mountain, made of houses that were made of brick, mortar and steel, with wood and straw buildings surrounding it. The entire city sat atop the ocean, a bridge being the only thing to connect it to land. In the centre of the city was a building that had a symbol of a broken circle with a line piercing its two o’clock, just like the stamp on the bulletin.

“Come, marvel at the proof of our god’s great power. Come and see our lord’s magnificence.” A man stood on a box, yelling into the crowd.

He wore cloths that were hand sewn, like what was commonly worn, but the stitches were finer, and the fabric was made of a much finer material. On his chest was the same broken circle symbol.

“You there.” The man cried out. “You must be a noble. You must surely understand God’s grace.”

The man was looking right at me.

Not wanting to repeat the previous mistake I lied, hoping the bluff would land. “Of course. Uhh… He’s grace is a blessing in my life.”

“Of course. Only a noble would have such strong faith in Venus, our God.”

“Why can’t commoners have a strong faith? In my opinion, a commoner could even have a stronger faith than a noble, not having the same privileges, yet still believing in God’s faith.” I just repeated a line from a cheesy light novel I had read.

“Oh! What wise words. Truly what you say is right.”

I couldn’t help but cringe at his reaction. I took my chance to discreetly move away, heading further into the city.

The name Venus was repeated in my mind over and over. I thought Venus was a myth, a ghost planet that was used to explain the rogue satellite.

I snapped out of my daydream when I saw some of those full plate knights who were guarding a gate into the primary part of the city. I quickly turned around, not wanting to get into another conflict, especially when I was so close to the goal.

Then I realised something. I didn’t know who I was looking for. Doom didn’t tell me anything about her friends, and I didn’t see the need to ask. What am I going to do now? I’m stuck on a ghost planet that reverted to the 15th century, full of religious zealots.

I wandered aimlessly through the streets for a while. I found a crowd of rowdy men around a brightly lit tavern.

“Heya miss. Watcha doin’?” A man put his arm around my shoulder, leaning on me slightly, the stench of alcohol wafting from his skin.

“Eric. Stop harassing her. She’s probably a noble.” Another man came up to me, pulling the other off me.

“What? She looks down.”

“Well, randomly greeting a stranger like that won’t make them feel any better.” After dealing with his friend, he turned back to me, bowing. “I’m so sorry about my friend.”

I got a bit flustered. “You don’t need to bow. I’m not a noble.”

“You’re not?” He stopped bowing. “But you’re dressed so nicely.”

“I’m a merchant. My names Bobby.” I held out my hand.

“Bobby?” He took my hand, shacking it. “Isn’t that a guy’s name?”

“Is it?” I looked at him with confusion.

“My names Camden, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Bobby. Do you need help with anything by any chance?”

“Well, I don’t know if you can help, but I’ve managed to separate from my caravan, and I don’t know-” I paused, realising how stupid the next part sounded. “I don’t know what they look like.”

“Well. You’re lucky you met us. Usually, my friend and I are versed in dealing with problems such as yours, but you’ll just have to make do with me for the moment. Do you want to head inside, grab a drink and some food, talk it over?”

“I don’t have any money on me.”

“I’ll just add it to your tab. I’m sure you’ll be a returning customer.” Camden led me inside the tavern. “What can you tell me about the people in your caravan?”

“All I know is that they would be here in Farwell. The- My grandfather would know more about them. He was travelling with me, but he got stuck in the Faerberg port town.”

We sat down at an empty table.

Camden asked for a waiter. “Can we have two pottages with bread, and two meads.”

The waiter was old, shacking as he tried to lean in to hear. “That will be 6 silver coins.”

“Can I ask? Are you a witch?”

“A witch? No. What’s the deal with witches and demons anyway?”

“Witches have been on the rise for a while. There have been witches on the run from the church in the area, and I usually help them out, directing them to the Chloris plains where there’s a village that harbours and protects witches.”

The waiter returned with two wooden bowls filled with a stew, and wooden steins filled with mead.

“What about demons?” I ate a spoonful of the stew, slightly disappointed in its bland taste. “Are they like witches or are they something else entirely?”

“Demons are fearsome creatures that angels constantly search for. They say a demon can take the form of a human, mimicking us almost perfectly, but they cannot bleed. Anything that comes from beyond that wall is a demon. The best way to recognise a demon is if they’re familiar with our culture. Some sheltered nobles get confused for demons for this very reason, but you’re not a noble, so, what are you?”

I felt my face grow pale. “I’m human. I was born human, and I really can’t see myself as anything else.”

“Prove it.” Camden pulled out a knife, handing it to me.

I took the knife, putting it to my palm. “Are you sure giving me the knife to me is a good idea? What if I was a demon?”

“That remains to be seen.” Camden said, looking at someone behind me.

I turned to look, seeing multiple individuals throughout the tavern, keeping an eye on me without attracting to much attention.

I braced myself, slicing through my palm. I winced with pain, opening my palm. When I opened my hand, there was a large gash left by the blade that was deep enough to see some muscle, but no blood came from it.

I felt what little blood I had in my face drain. “I- This isn’t-” I stammered, panicking, not knowing what happened.

“Demon!”

Camden swung at me with a hidden blade. I stumbled back, dodging the blade, falling to the floor.

When I got up, I came face to face with one of the other men, one that was wielding a short sword, swinging from above. I grabbed his wrist as it swung down, twisting it behind his back, forcing him to drop the sword. I almost broke his wrist, so I had to consciously loosen my grip as to prevent it from snapping in two. After I let go, he collapsed to the ground, grabbing his now swelling wrist.

I escaped the tavern, running through the streets, until I was grabbed by an unknown assailant.

“We have her Jack. Should we go now?” There was someone else besides the one that had a hold of me.

“Umm, Jack. This isn’t her.” The voice belonging to my captor was really deep. “This one is squishy. What should I do? This one puts up a fight.”

“Let me see.” A third voice approached my captor.

A man came in front of me, looking into my eyes. He had dark grey eyes, a scar over his left eyes, and strange, uniform growths across his right eye.

“Put her down. I want to ask her a few questions.”

Once I was released, I turned around to satiate my curiosity, and to put a face to the voices. They were all wearing cloaks, similar to Doom’s. My captor was extremely large, and his head was long, a horn protruding from the top of his nose. The remaining member was completely bold, the skin on his face was extremely sunken, and his nose was completely missing, two holes in his skull remained. Two sets of tentacles came out of the ends of his sleeves, his hands still visible.

“What is wrong with you people.” I accused them.

“Why were you accused of being a demon?” The one with the scar over his eye asked.

“Because I don’t bleed anymore. I don’t know why, but I’m not bleeding. I’m not a demon, I was born human, and for all I know, I’m still human.”

“Where is the one who cured you?”

“Cured me-? You mean Doom? She’s still in the Faerberg port town. She said she would be close behind me.”

The one with the scar tutted. “She won’t survive an Angel. Girl, we’re heading back.”

“My name’s, Bobby.”

The one with the scar hesitated for a second. “I’m Jack. The big one is Asger, and the other is Gisbert.”

0