Chapter 49 – The man standing in the storm
219 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

– POV General –

Only a few minutes ago, the Cerberus crew had seen large clouds in the distance heading straight for them, heralding very difficult times ahead. Unfortunately, they couldn't get around this storm, which was on the Eldimar Sea, the path to the island. The next thing they knew, carried by the wind, those big clouds were over the Hysterics, plunging them into their very first challenge against the ocean itself.

The men and women who had been chatting just a short time ago were surprised by the speed at which the weather had changed. They only had time to make sure nothing was going to go overboard before the sky turned dark. Katherine, Achi, Ulysses and the animals were all in the hold while the entire crew was on deck ready to face whatever was about to come their way.

The waves, which until now had been calm and rocking, gradually grew in size before crashing into the Cerberus' hull, shaking it hard. The wind blew from all directions, making the air thicker than ever and pushing the clouds ever closer to the pirates. Even the rain was coming down on the ship harder and faster, creating a curtain of large, compact droplets that blinded the horizon as far as the eye could see.

"Captain ! We can't see anything anymore, we're sailing blind and this is just the beginning !"

Mysie, who had very good eyes, was stationed high up on the mast in the crow's nest, screaming as loud as she could while holding onto the ropes to keep from falling. The sound of the rain, wind and waves almost drowned out her words, but that was without counting the Quartermaster's good ears. Needing hands on deck, Joe was not at the helm and had left the place to the Captain of the ship herself

"Batten down all hatches, two men to the capstan and hoist the topyard !"

Hestia's orders split the air as powerfully as she could to the others on the lower deck, running around. At her words, Lucas and Edward would both move to port and starboard to hoist the big topyard with heavy ropes. Joe, Buggy and Douggy were busy covering the hatches with tarpaulins to keep the water out of the hold, while Mysie was still scanning the water.

The ship was being tossed back and forth, and Hestia was doing her best to keep it upright, but it wasn't that easy. The fury of the ocean was becoming more and more frightening, the waves more and more untamed, making the Cerberus rise higher and higher. Everything was dark, the clouds showed no glimmer of sunlight, and it was in this endless rush of water that the Hysterics were plunged.

"Captain ! The wind is too strong !"

"The pulley might break and the sails might tear !"

Edward and Lucas who were at the ropes were doing the best they could to reduce the wind pressure on the main sail but the wind was raging. The storm had arrived so fast that it was now blowing from behind, bulging the sails with force, which was far from a good sign. Unfortunately, Hestia was too focused to hear, she trusted her crew, aware of this, so it was Kali who answered in her place.

"Furl the sails ! Keep the one in front and hook the pulley !"

"AYE !"

Running directly ahead of the wind could end in destruction by the stern, the ship too weak to withstand the weight of the breaking waves. The Captain would then try to turn the Cerberus toward the storm to sail at an angle, pointing the stern, the strongest part, toward the oncoming waves. The Quartermaster knew this, and so ordered the sails to be stowed to avoid major damage from the wind pressure.

The trick was to keep the ship on the move, and to keep it moving into the waves while avoiding putting too much strain on the sails and masts. The ship needed to keep up speed to move up the oncoming waves, and also to keep its rudder in the water so that it could steer. So while Hestia maneuvered with precision, focused, the others on deck, guided by Kali, did their best to make her job easier.

The only sail not furled was the front one to allow movement and to maintain momentum so as not to get caught in the wind. The air was frigid, the temperature had dropped as well, everyone was soaked to the bone but the waves kept hitting. Thuds were coming from everywhere, everyone was trying to keep calm but this first experience was anything but pleasant and easy to live with.

The feeling of being lost in the middle of nowhere without knowing how long was overwhelming and encouraged the panic that overcame everyone. Barrels were rolling everywhere, the darkness of the sea and the surrounding darkness were overwhelming and to make matters worse, another worry was looming. The thick, overcast sky had begun to roar mightily as once again a voice from the top of the ship shouted out the information.

"STRAIGHT AHEAD CAPTAIN ! A MAELSTROM IS FORMING !"

*BOOM*

As Mysie finished shouting these words, suddenly a flash of light, with its dark and pale light, pierced the cloud of rain almost blindly, revealing what was in front of the bow. A little further out, in the sea, a movement of agitation had occurred, creating a whirlpool that was not yet deadly. Unfortunately this did not help the situation and it was necessary to think fast to avoid the ship getting stuck in it.

"Fucking bloody Hell, is this what you call being blessed by the God of the Seas ?! VEER OFF AND HANG YOUR GUTS !!!"

With a sharp jerk, Hestia turned the helm completely to the left causing a huge jolt that nearly knocked everyone over. The Cerberus tilted to the right as the thunder roared, the sea screamed, the wind whistled and the rain poured down. The fear intensified as they moved forward, hands paralyzed and everyone caught themselves shaking, but was it the cold or was it something else ?

"No time to daydream, bunch of scurvy landlubbers ! One second of inattention and it's death ! Are you afraid of a few drops ??"

The Captain's firm voice then echoed in their ears, shaking them out of their natural, human and instinctive state of fear. Yes, she was shaking too, from head to toe, but despite her serious eyes, the crew could discern behind that curtain of rain, a slight smile. Hestia didn't know what was going to happen, something new had sprung up inside her, but as Captain she had to keep a cool head.

The ship was heading straight for the ocean vortex, the four winds were raging and crashing gallons of water onto the deck, but they had to stay focused. Regaining their wits, Buggy and Douggy made their way through the overturned stuff to grab the ropes firmly. Joe was lowering the sails on the port side while Edward was furling the sails on the starboard side and Lucas was turning the pulley as quickly and accurately as possible.

"Full bore !"

"And more speed !"

Some waves broke parts of the rail and with each one the Cerberus seemed to be heading straight for the bottom of the ocean, the abyss. The young maelstrom was only a few meters away, but the Captain's and Quartermaster's orders were a great help. The ship would turn to its right and with another jolt this time to the left, as everyone held on, would be propelled in the opposite direction.

"MYSIE !!!"

"FORTY-FIVE DEGREES NORTH AT 10 METERS !!!"

"FORTY-FIVE DEGREES NORTH AT 10 METERS, CAPTAIN !!!"

Lightning struck around the crew unusually illuminating the hazy sky with its hypnotizing and dangerous light. This gave the drenched young woman perched in the crow's nest enough time to indicate the position of the vortex they were avoiding. The cacophony they were caught in was too deafening so despite Mysie's goodwill, it was Kali who relayed the information she heard better than anyone else.

"AYE ! TURN THE TOPYARD FULL PORT ON MY SIGNAL AND HANG ON AGAIN, MY CUTIES !!!"

Continuing her maneuvers, Hestia would give the others a few seconds to react so they would be ready when she said so. The two brothers were pulling with all their might on the only sail still open, Joe, Lucas and Edward, tying the ropes with more intensity in anticipation. Slipping and stumbling on the deck because of the water, they had still managed to act quickly driven by survival instinct as the order finally rang out.

"NOW !!!"

In the midst of the raging ocean, everyone was pulling on what everyone had in their hands, the main yardarm turning 90 degrees in one motion. The wood hit the mast almost breaking it, but the Cerberus picked up speed again, shooting through the waves. Thanks to the force of the wind and the whirlwind, they had managed to get past it, but it wasn't over yet, as the storm around them was still raging.

"Only activate your gifts if necessary !"

The fatigue was felt in the muscles but also mentally, however, Hestia wanted at all costs that all of them get by without the help of gifts. She wanted to learn alongside the others how to maneuver their ship by sheer force of arms and will. Moreover, at the moment the use of the gifts was very tiring after use and no one knew how much longer they would be subjected to the rage of the sky.

The waves were still high, the wind still strong, and even the fear had not abated, but there was no time for that. They had to patch up and consolidate some parts of the ship to avoid even more damage, which would undoubtedly be fatal. So everyone knew what they had to do, suddenly, an unexpected sound followed by a voice came out of the hold, echoing through the tumult.

"Woof woof !!"

"C-Come back here !!!"

On the deck had appeared Achi running after the golden-haired poodle who for some unknown reason had rushed out without warning. Not having foreseen such shocks, much stronger than in the hold, the girl began to stagger and stumble before panicking. Lost in this new frightening and icy universe, Achi's screams split the air while Hestia's resounded full of anger, carrying a touch of worry.

"KIDDO, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY !! GET IN THE HOLD !!"

"I-I...CAN'T !!! HELP ME !!!"

"JOE, THE HELM !!"

Shouting to her Sailing Master who had almost joined her, the Captain let go of the rudder to let her sail while she dealt with this incident. The others were far too busy, and abandoning their post at a critical moment was almost tantamount to gross negligence, a serious fault. As Captain, Hestia had left her place to Joe, stepping onto the deck after jumping in, making as quick a move as she could.

"HANG ON TO SOMETHING AND..."

*SPLASH*

The young blonde woman didn't even have time to finish her sentence when Achi fell into the water, going through the broken railing, pushed by a wave and the movement of the ship. Before the horrified eyes of all the others, she disappeared into the void, her terrified and crying face the last thing they could see. At that moment, Hestia reacted in a flash, activating her gift, her gray eyes in the storm, vibrating with anger.

"FUCKING BRAT !"

As best she could, the Captain tied a rescue rope she had grabbed on a hook before tying one end to the mast and the other to her waist. Without waiting another second, she removed her coat and tricorn in one quick motion before running to where Achi had disappeared. The last thing the crew could see was their Captain diving without hesitation, disappearing in turn in this agitated immensity.

*SPLASH*

"CAPTAIN !"

"DON'T MOVE !!!"

Edward had shouted out of instinct but Lucas' voice brought him back to reality, preventing his body from moving any further as he watched the spot where Hestia had jumped. Mysie and Kali were speechless and seemed to be watching their world fall apart, unable to move, in shock. The rope attached to the mast was uncoiling at an alarming speed before the petrified eyes of the others before it finally became completely taut.

No one could see anything and despite the rain, even if the lightning pierced the sky offering some light, all they could see was the terrifying darkness of the sea. Hearts were beating wildly and breaths were cut off as if in the middle of this watery Hell, time had stopped. No one could move from their post for the survival of the others and yet only one began to do so despite the orders he knew perfectly well.

"EDWARD, YOU MUST HOLD THE..."

*STAB*

The young man had pulled out his axe and wrapped the rope he was supposed to be holding around it before driving his weapon deep into the Cerberus' hull. Without even paying attention to the cries of the others, he rushed toward the taut rope and for good reason. Just as Edward reached it, as he had predicted, it snapped in two due to the movement of the ship, the violence of the waves and the wind despite its strength.

Fortunately, the red-bearded pirate had managed to catch both ends just in time before one sank into the deep sea. He was now the only link that connected Hestia to the ship, if he let go, their Captain and the young noblewoman were sure to never return. He knew this, so as the rain and wind whipped his face, he held on. Despite the intense pain he had felt in his stretched arms from the beginning...he was holding.

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAH !!!"

On his own, Edward was bearing the weight of the waves that was pulling on his limbs while the rope was making his hands bleed, burning them from the pressure. So it was with a wild, beastly cry, that the man inked his feet firmly to the deck, concentrating as fast as he could, activating his gift. The rain was pounding, the ship was pitching, the sea was roaring and yet there he was, like an unruffled mountain, solid and powerful like a colossus.

As the seconds passed, his muscles seemed to grow slightly, the roots of his hair changed and an aura of ultimate concentration emanated from him. Droplets were beading on his closed face, his hair was being blown in all directions by the wind when suddenly the rope tightened a little more. Opening his eyes at the same time, Edward began to pull with all his might.

The only sail was hitting the mast, the ropes that had not yet been ripped off were twirling in the wind's anger, sweeping away the darkness. Joe held the helm tightly, Mysie watched from above, Lucas held the yardarm in place, and Kali tied down what was not to be torn off. All of them, however, had an eye on their friend who, despite the violence of the shaking, was pulling without respite, with the strength of a hundred men.

The thunder roared, the lightning struck, but the pirate succeeded little by little in pulling the rope out of the water despite his fatigue. Even the pieces of wood that came off the ship and hurt him on the body were not enough to make him move a single centimeter. Then, with one quick pull and a determined cry, Edward finally managed to pull out the one who had dived and the one who had fallen into the water a few minutes earlier.

From the black ocean, at the end of the rope, Hestia once again sprang up holding a faint, soaked, puppy-like girl in her arms. Thanks to the action of the young red-bearded pirate and the power and speed of the Captain, the two were back on the still chaotic deck. Everyone was exhausted but the wind had calmed down a bit and Kali rushed to Achi lying on her back, unconscious and pale.

"Kali, hold on !!"

"She is still breathing but she has swallowed a large amount of water"

Kneeling down immediately at her side, the young Quartermaster hearing what Hestia had just said and seeing that she was fine, began a heart massage. Looking down on the scene with her cold, angry eyes, the Captain suddenly staggered, dizzy and tired. But thanks to her friend who had pulled her out of the water and saved her life, she remained standing, Edward having grabbed her shoulder to keep her from falling.

"COUGH COUGH COUGH !!!"

As Hestia noticed the rope still in his hands, the state of his hands, understanding what had happened, nodded her head in recognition. At the same time, Achi spat out the water in her lungs, coughing as the air rushed through her body again. Trembling like a leaf, she suddenly straightened up before coming face to face with the Captain dressed in a soaked white shirt.

"Did you want to play mermaids or what, kiddo ? Next time I'll let you sink..."

Her voice was cold, devoid of any emotion except anger, and her eyes conveyed a disappointment that hurt the heart. As if on cue, the storm had subsided a bit as Joe, Lucas, Buggy and Douggy continued to work, soon to be joined again by Edward. As the young Achi looked on in shame, sadness and fear,  Hestia was putting on her coat, turning on her heels before stopping.

"Glad you're okay...Achi."

Without another word, as the face of the girl who had almost drowned lit up, the beautiful blonde was already far away, shouting new orders to her crew. Luckily, the nightmare was soon over and this long moment would be only an important memory that they would not forget. Indeed, everyone would remember this day as the day Hestia jumped into the raging sea without hesitation to save Achi at the risk of her own life.

But most of all, everyone would remember this day as the day Edward by his sheer brute strength, courage and relentlessness had saved their Captain's life, standing in the storm.

 

You'll know what happened in the water next chapter. Hope you liked this chapter

3