Chapter 55 – Fire and bone rage
229 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- POV General -

"What have we gotten ourselves into again Captain ?"

While several miles away the Cerberus was moored lightly in the forest with the crew, Hestia and Edward were in a bad position. Ahead of them stood a beast even more enormous than any they had encountered so far, ready to tear them to pieces. Only the sound of wind, growling and snarling rose into the sky, which was no longer even visible from the ground. 

For the moment, none of the three moved, gradually their sounds disappearing to leave only silence and the sound of the wind shaking the huge foliage. The eyes of the two pirates were immersed in those of the jaguar who was trying to detect the slightest trace of weakness in these two little humans. It too could feel the energy flowing through their bodies and although it was not as much, its instincts also urged it to be careful. 

They stood still because they knew that at the slightest movement the fight for life would begin and would only end with the death of Hestia and Edward or the beast. The torch they still held in one hand did not even shake, the flames dancing on their concentrated faces. The two friends felt a natural fear but had entered a state of maximum concentration acting even on their frozen bodies. 

It was hard to believe that they were even breathing, for their chests showed no sign of apparent movement, making them almost statues. From the outside, Hestia and Edward may have been impassive, but their minds were racing and thinking at full speed. Is it possible to kill it ? Should they flee through the giant trees ? What would happen if their light source went out ? How and where to attack ?

So many questions that could not be answered because despite the Captain's great knowledge, this jaguar was still unknown and therefore all the more dangerous. The battle of looks continued, the pressure continued to mount, each second that passed seemed to be minutes and each minute, hours. What to do ? Should we be the first to move or should we let the animal follow its instincts and adapt according to its movements ? 

In a situation like this, the slightest mistake meant death for the two young pirates, the slightest false move or failed attack. The darkness remained all around them, nothing mattered but the opponent who stood on all fours with a murderous look. In this unknown land where everything could change, where madness could drown, where death could strike at any moment, Hestia and Edward had to be careful. 

The trees, with their shadows that gave them an almost human face seemed to whisper, the wind seemed to hum like an ominous voice, and lurking in the shadows, the forest waited. It was waiting for the blood that was going to be spilled and added to the one already present, invading the atmosphere with a smell as nauseating as intoxicating. Time and breaths had stopped but this could not last any longer, it was time to act.

The cool wind of the dark night was blowing in their ears but both pirates were sweating profusely and their hearts were pounding. The pressure had become unbearable, so suffocating that their vision was beginning to blur, or maybe it was the dim light. The golden-haired Captain, tired of the heavy situation, now moved first, slowly moving her right foot forward to rest on the bone beneath her. 

"Edward."

"Mmmh."

Without another word the two friends seemed to have understood each other, decided to take action since their host also remained motionless and for long minutes. Leaning forward a little more, the red-bearded pirate clutched his spear and torch even tighter. It was time, and as a leaf twirled in the air, innocent and lulled by the air currents, it was time to act despite the fear, doubts and unknown danger. 

Suddenly, just as the leaf touched the bone-carpeted ground, Hestia hurriedly launched herself at the surprised jaguar, not expecting such speed. Drawing on all the strength she had with her gift, she jumped as high as she could from a few meters away. With a salto, the young woman passed over the jaguar who had finally started to react by bringing its right front paw forward to strike her in the air. 

The scene seemed to be happening in slow motion, she had not pulled out her knife but her black sword which she held in her right hand. At the moment when the gap between their two bodies was the smallest, the Captain swung her weapon in the direction of the huge paw running on her. The next second, the sound of her blade echoed through the deadly clearing as it struck one of the jaguar's huge sharp claws, missing its skin. 

Because of the force of the impact, Hestia found herself propelled toward one of the giant trees standing all around them as witnesses to the fight. The beast, seeing this, did not wait any longer before charging at the place where she was going to crash, the spines of its back out to impale her. Everything was happening very fast and the young woman was doing her best to stabilize herself but despite its size, the animal was very fast already coming behind her to strike.

"I'm here too, you fucking beast cunt !"

But, just as the blow was about to go off, it wasn't the Cerberus Captain who found herself struck violently but the beast itself. Taking advantage of the attention it had on his friend, Edward had darted in her direction, sneaking into the darkness after leaving his torch. He had reached below the jaguar's chest before striking it with all his might with his spear, driving it into the visible flesh as far as he could.

"GROAAAAAAR !!"

Unfortunately it hadn't been enough to hurt it badly but enough to give the young woman time to retaliate. The monster had only moved a few meters but had turned its gaze away from her, focusing it on the young man at its feet. Even more angry, the beast turned back to him with bloodshot eyes making him shiver with fear and excitement. 

"ED !!"

*CRACK*

Suddenly, Hestia, who had been leaning on the tree she had run into, screamed as she propelled herself back towards the jaguar, crushing some of the bark in the process. Like an unstoppable arrow, she became nothing but speed, pointing her sword straight at her target's neck. Edward, for his part, took advantage of this moment to jump back as far as possible so as not to suffer damage stupidly during Hestia's lightning assault. 

*SLASH*

The animal had only time to move a few meters that two of its spines were already cut, making appear fountains of blood. The next moment, the jaguar's cries of pain mingled with the sounds of the fight, disappearing into the shadow. The two pirates had succeeded in wounding it, even if the last blow was only possible thanks to a consequent propulsion added to the young woman's gift.

The cries of the spiny jaguar pierced the eardrums, tearing through the night and seeming to vibrate the ground as they turned into growls. Its breath was ragged, its eyes more bloodshot than ever as rage took hold of it with each passing second. Hestia, who landed much further away finally on a large bone had just time to look up before she saw, a crazy monster charging at her at full speed. 

< 50 meters >

The bones around it waltzed in all directions, each step that made them shattered into a thousand pieces under its weight and brute force. The power of its paws was shaking the ground this time without a doubt and nothing and nobody seemed to be able to stop it in its race. The beast was getting closer to the young woman, every second it was covering a large area leaving behind a trail of its own blood.

< 37 meters >

Its bloodshot yellow eyes glowed in the night, its jaw drooling profusely, its huge fangs ready to tear violently. Hestia saw all this but stood there transfixed, hypnotized by this vision of horror and unable to tear her eyes away. There was a certain beauty that emerged from this moment, something unique and dangerous, yet ephemeral, vibrant, gripping and captivating.

< 29 meters >

She held her sword and torch firmly in her hands, her heart felt as if it could stop at any moment and drops of sweat beaded on her forehead. Despite the deafening noise, only her breathing reached her ears, forgetting everything else, caught in a trance. The pieces of bone began to fly towards her cutting her more and more, the ground vibrated more loudly because like an omen of death...the beast was approaching.

< 15 meters >

There were only a few meters left, a few meters before the fate of the young Captain was sealed by this cold and dark night. Its huge form was taking shape, illuminated by the flames being the only source of light she had. Clutching her black blade in her hand, blood was beginning to bead from her palm due to the force of the blow the young woman had dealt a few minutes before. 

< 5 meters >

That was it, the huge monster was there and had not swung one of its paws as it plunged with its mouth wide open. For the one in front of it, it was possible to see an enormous shrinking tongue surrounded by sharp teeth where pieces of flesh were still hooked. Aware of the danger, it was at this moment that Hestia decided to act, waiting only for the last second to move but at an even greater speed.

Throwing the torch very high into the air giving her better visibility and freedom of movement, she stopped thinking. Swinging her now two-handed sword, with a single upward slash the young woman sliced through the jaguar's right eye despite aiming for the neck. She had infused natural energy at the last moment, thickening the black blade and enlarging it enough to cover the missing distance and surprise it. 

Unfortunately, this sudden attack was not enough to stop the beast, which turned its pain into strength, continuing its momentum. The Captain could not jump anymore, the huge fangs were already on her, leaving her only a few seconds to react. Seeing only one possible solution, she leaned forward to let herself fall to the ground, letting the jaguar pass over her just barely.

"HES' !"

Suddenly, Edward's voice echoed to Hestia's right as a hurriedly thrown axe came crashing into the animal's cheek, deflecting its head slightly. He was coming at full speed catching the liquid container in his hand to bring the liquid to his mouth before jumping. Kicking his friend's black sword, he aimed it at her as he was catching on the fly the torch that was finally coming down to where they were. 

As the beast turned to attack again, still in the air, the young man with the red beard spat what he had in his mouth in its direction. The flames of the torch placed right in front of it, the next second an inferno lit up the entire clearing. Using the remaining grease he had taken with him, Edward had turned into a fire eater, turning the small wooden torch into a real hellfire.

A blazing ball of fire appeared out of nowhere, lighting up everything around it as if in broad daylight, like a mini sun. In an instant, the cool night air, which had become almost icy, had warmed up, offering an unexpected comforting and saving heat. Like a fire-breathing dragon, Hestia could see her friend burning the hair and skin of the beast as it began to scream again, instinctively struggling. 

Edward had blown so hard that flames and sparks had settled on the surrounding bones creating a chain reaction. Gradually, because of the grease, the larger bones ignited, eventually encircling the three beings in mortal combat. When the jaguar had arrived enraged at the young woman, it had exploded everything in its path without knowing that this action would prevent them from ending up in a sea of fire. 

However, it wasn't over. As the flame-breathing pirate landed beside his friend who had risen to her feet in wait, the beast came to its senses. Even though it had been hit many times, it was still standing upright and seemed to be very resilient. The two pirates, who had already been using their gift for several minutes, were also getting tired and starting to feel the effects, even if only slightly.

Neither Hestia nor Edward spoke, too focused to say a single word, letting their instincts and trust in each other take over despite the situation. They were almost there, just a little bit, just a little bit more and they would finally be able to return safely as they had promised. It was no longer necessary to think but to act and execute the jaguar as quickly as possible because even wounded, the time and the night played greatly in its favor.

"GROAAAAR !!!"

Mad with rage, in one swipe it sent the burning bones around it as projectiles coming straight for the position of the two young pirates. Using his long spear, Edward exploded, deflecting the debris and using his free left fist to throw it back in front. For her part, Hestia had planted her black sword in the bloody ground, preferring to use her two swords to slice or kick the projectiles. 

Bones flew everywhere, rocketing through the air with ever increasing speed, injuring in turn the three who still wouldn't give up. Thus, white pieces could be seen cutting the skin, sticking into the flesh and drawing more and more blood. Suddenly, the jaguar stopped, raising its head as if occupied by something else, something that lay between the trees, lurking in the darkness that even the curtain of fire could not illuminate.

Then it was its whole body that straightened up before the sound of noises from deep in the dark, gloomy forest. They were getting closer, the sounds of leaves and broken branches accompanied the sounds that turned out to be footsteps. At that moment, Hestia and Edward's minds were working at full speed as they turned their heads in all directions, unable to locate where the sounds were coming from. 

More and more intense, louder and louder, closer and closer, more and more gripping and suffocating, they would soon find out what was behind it all. Once again, the stress had taken hold of their minds, they who had finally started to fight well after a difficult beginning. This was too much, what else was going on ? What could this forest be full of ? The answer was simple : death.

"WATCH OUT !!!"

Suddenly, when it had been quiet for just a few seconds, a new form popped up from behind the menacing trees making hearts jump. Tall, hairy, possessing spikes on its back, a long thin tail, sharp fangs and piercing yellow eyes. In front of the two friends a new jaguar had just appeared, which, although slightly smaller, seemed to be an acquaintance of the first one.

It was the exact same breed as the first one with a slightly less ferocious look and an ear missing on the huge furry head. Hestia and Edward couldn't believe their eyes, it was so improbable and unlucky that it was almost funny but reality was sometimes cruel. They had thought that it would take just a little more time and courage to overcome the beast, but now they found themselves wounded by not one but two beasts.

At this point they had to try everything, to fight while the iron was still hot and the flame of determination was still burning in their eyes. It was necessary to fight, it was necessary to resist, to get up again and again but it was necessary to win at all costs. It was with this idea in mind that the two friends, their hearts beating wildly, got back into fighting position before not thinking anymore and launching themselves towards their targets.

The deadly fight of the night had begun with the presence of a 4 meters jaguar and was now continuing after the appearance of a second one. Screaming with all their strength to give themselves courage, the two cornered pirates each threw themselves at the beast that faced them. Courageous, determined and pushed by their survival instinct that made the blood boil in their veins

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAH !!!"

This scream came from their heart, their soul, from this crazy desire to live and come back victorious to see a new day dawn next to their companions. At the time when the bruised bodies rose, when the hearts woke up, when the visceral fear turned into an inferno...the strength of the warriors would be released. Covered in blood in that fiery arena, Hestia and Edward, lost in their frenzy, had rushed forward as if they had nothing left to lose.

1