Chapter 56 – To win or be won, to live or perish
190 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

– POV General –

An hour and a half had already passed since the Captain and the Master of Arms had left to venture into the dark forest in search of water and food. Many miles had been traveled and finally an unexpected fight had begun after an hour. Then, after twenty minutes of fierce struggle, just as the two friends were finally beginning to see the end of the tunnel, another beast had appeared.

As if called by the first one, it had emerged from the black woods before placing itself between the three who were fighting to the death in an arena of fire. This was not planned, nothing had actually been planned and this new prospect was anything but good news, though exciting. The second jaguar was smaller in size, but still an outsized one, going with the strange and inexplicable size of things on the island.

Right after its appearance, the fight had resumed but this time with a clear advantage for these two beasts. For Hestia and Edward, who were getting really tired, their movements and actions had been pure defense, completely overwhelmed. For another ten minutes, they had suffered their combined attacks, gradually discovering that they were endowed with a particularly high intelligence.

Their coordination even had an almost human way of thinking which made the victory more and more complicated and much slower. From the very first minutes, the two pirates had the impression of standing in front of a mirror, a disturbing and destabilizing reflection of themselves. They were not facing humans and yet, in their eyes could be read a similar soul and emotions that could almost drive them crazy.

Since the two jaguars had met, everything had changed, as if their trust and strength were finally complete. Everything had become more fierce, more savage, so much so that after ten minutes, Hestia and Edward were already exhausted, standing in the middle of the arena barely standing. For them, the most important thing was to avoid the bites and claws first, because one attack would undoubtedly mean death.

So they had been dodging and blocking as long as they could but time was against them, every second was dangerous. The Captain no longer had the two swords she had brought just before, the broken blades on the ground leaving her with only her black sword. Her friend by her side, meanwhile, only had his incredibly strong spear left, his axe having been stuck in the first jaguar's cheek for at least 10 minutes. 

"Damn it..."

The blonde-haired young woman had uttered these words as she stood up leaning on her black sword after landing a knee on the ground. Her skin was covered in bruises and bones were frozen in some places explaining the blood that flowed everywhere.  Edward wasn't in a better state either, also stained red and hurt all over even if it wasn't serious at the moment.

"W-We need something more...anything."

"B-But what ?"

"I-I don't know..."

Their strength was disappearing by the minute, their gift draining them far more when all they had done was dodge. They needed an advantage, something they could use to regain the upper hand, but what was it ? The fire around them seemed to be, the two beasts that feared the flames, but it wasn't enough. The two pirates too were not immune to fire and their bodies although strong, much more fragile than theirs.

"Hestia, we must attack"

"Mmmh, I know."

If time was against them, then despite the fatigue and pain it was necessary to fight again and again and finish these fights as soon as possible. Fortunately, the biggest of the jaguars was not in the best shape and was still gradually bleeding to death. The only thing left to do was to neutralize the second one before eliminating them both, even if it was easier said than done, but did they have any other choice ? The answer was no.

Running a hand through her hair staining it with more blood, Hestia took a deep breath before grabbing her sword. Determined to finish what she started, she threw herself back at the larger of the two beasts. Her black blade had returned to its original form to conserve natural energy as she narrowly avoided the unharmed jaguar's paw, thrown to stop it.

After forking to the left, she continued before jumping as high as she could, her sword over her head ready to strike. In the Captain's eyes, a savagery similar to her opponent's was beginning to burn, but it wasn't enough to scare it. With a defiant growl, the huge spiny jaguar aimed its claws at her to tear her apart in midair with one precise blow.

Turning her body in the air with a powerful rotation, Hestia managed to deflect her trajectory at the last moment, finding herself in front of the beast's long, outstretched and powerful paw. Without further ado, using gravity, she thrust her sword forward, taking advantage of the speed to cut into the flesh. Blood spurted from the gaping wound as the young woman jumped again, seeing the second paw come at her with all claws out.

"AAAAAAAAAAAH !!!"

The next moment, once again the sound of clashing swords and claws echoed through the burning clearing amidst a loud scream. This time, Hestia had managed to deflect the blow and not get swept away, leaning on her opponent to propel herself toward its head. She had already slashed the monster's right eye while aiming for the neck and this time she was determined not to miss, no matter how difficult it might be.

Taking advantage of the element of surprise and her speed, the young blonde woman raised her weapon again before bringing it down with a quick movement towards the carotid artery. The next second, the black blade finally touched the hairy neck of the jaguar but it was immediately blocked by its thickness. More power was needed, more speed as the wounded beast sent its second paw to withdraw Hestia's sword which had sunk several centimeters.

*BOOM*

"AARG COUGH COUGH !!!"

With a huge noise, the Cerberus Captain was then sent crashing to the ground landing in a large pool of blood. Her back had hit a bone before exploding it and then hitting a rock camouflaged by all that red liquid hiding the ground. At this moment, several of her ribs had broken while the young woman had pushed a cry of pain and spat blood due to the sudden violence of the impact.

Her vision blurred, her breathing stopped, her heart almost stopped, and her mind drowned in pain, confusion and fear. Her whole body was shaking, she was unable to move as the white roots of her hair turned blonde again. Hestia had succeeded in hurting the beast a little more and it was also growling in pain, giving her a little respite to pull herself together, but at what cost ?

Edward, busy with the other jaguar had seen everything but could not do much, too focused on spinning his spear around him. Using the length of his weapon, he kept his opponent at a distance without really knowing how he could get through to it. He had no more grease to cause another inferno, his axe was no longer in his possession, and in front of him stood a jaguar determined to kill him.

In turn, the red-bearded pirate threw himself at his opponent, twirling his spear with precision making his movements unpredictable. The tip of his blade trying to pierce the skin of the animal still in shape but easier to hit. He kept moving forward, looking for the slightest opportunity to back up into the flames and strike it dead to finally finish it off.

Edward was focused on the beast and only the beast, he could not hear the wind whispering or the foliage rustling and ignored the pain in his limbs. His blue eyes were fixed straight ahead and his muscles were contracted, showing veins as he drew on his strength. It was hard, very hard and painful but what other choice did he have ? It was the wildest law of nature, the law of the strongest: to win or be won...to live or perish.

While Hestia had opted for an aerial attack, Edward remained on the ground, not stopping to move and advance despite the fatigue that was gaining on him. His spear split the air with a shrill whistle, always faster, always more precise, always more powerful and relentless. The beast, which could not find an opening, grunted more and more before finally propelling itself with its mouth open.

Seeing this as a new opportunity, the young man leaned forward with his right foot firmly planted in front. Just as the jaws of its sharp fangs were about to close on him, his spear pierced the jaguar's palate. Edward had taken advantage of the opening to stop the attack, spurting blood everywhere as he forcefully maintained his grip on his weapon to prevent the mouth from closing.

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH !!!"

Pushing in his turn a cry of rage and pain, the young pirate trembling tried to remain concentrated in spite of the sensation which had assailed it suddenly. His arm was practically in the beast's mouth and if the spear had not pierced his palate, he would have lost it without a doubt. However, a fang had also sunk slightly into his forearm just after the impact had dislocated his right shoulder from the force of the jaw.

For the moment it wasn't extremely serious but Edward had to hold on or it would be his whole limb that would be impaled and even torn off. The weaker he became, the more it would dig into his flesh sending waves of pain throughout his trembling body. Drawing on his strength, the young man swung back to strike the jaguar's snout with his head just before withdrawing his spear and arm as quickly as possible.

Hestia and Edward had managed to wound their two opponents but not without hurting themselves even more than they already were, making the situation even more critical. One had broken ribs, the other had a dislocated shoulder and a forearm with a fang-shaped hole. The two friends no longer had their hair roots of a different color, the natural energy having stopped flowing, for too long strained and needing a little rest.

"H-Hestia."

"I-It's okay...*cough cough* hahaha sigh... no... it's not okay... we're in trouble, matey"

As the fire burned behind them, its flames fading by the minute, the situation was tense and almost desperate. This night, which had started with a simple hunt in the unknown, was perhaps going to end with an unexpected drama and the death of two young pirates. The Captain and her friend had done what they could, but unfortunately it had not been enough to overcome and keep their twilight promise.

As the two young hysterics watched the flames of the last light of their lives dance, the jaguars in front of them had regained their minds. Hestia and Edward only had time to breathe for a few seconds, and already in the distance, the sounds of running could be heard. They were coming. They were coming at breakneck speed, with an even greater madness shining in their three yellow eyes, more cruel than ever.

The two beasts were getting closer, wounded, exhausted but much more fit than our two companions knew how it was going to end. The two friends wanted to fight, they wanted to win, but while their hearts vibrated, their minds and bodies could not keep up. Suddenly, as the two beasts were about to arrive, from the bushes, two beings until then missing, reappeared.

"GGRRRRR !!!"

Like two twinkling stars in the middle of this dark and gloomy night, like the guiding beacon in the middle of the nightmare of the storm...two white tigers had emerged. Loki and Azeil from the top of their one meter had thrown themselves in front of these two monsters standing like mountains stopping them from surprise. Taking advantage of this moment, without even looking at their mistress, they dashed without any hesitation, growling with fury.

In the mouth of the black-crested one, Azeil, there was an enormous brown root dripping with a greenish brown and viscous liquid. What did he want to do with it ? While the two pirates were wondering, Loki with the white crest was speeding up. Passing his brother, he finally reached the first jaguar...the larger of the two. Slaloming nimbly between its legs, he reached under its neck, jumping up to bite it angrily.

Was it unconscious ? Maybe, but it was part of a plan that the two brave tigers had set up between them. Hidden under the beast, Loki was quite well protected and while the jaguar was struggling, Azeil sneaked up on it, dripping sap from the root on the beast's wounds. He too was very agile, jumping again and again, leaping over the huge body of the one who had been about to kill Hestia and Edward.

Then, after a few seconds, Loki let go, almost taking a claw before throwing himself on the second, much less impressive. It was then the second one's turn to be bitten in the neck, not being able to touch the white and untouchable ball of hair. Same scenario, while the first jaguar was mysteriously writhing in pain, Azeil used the wounds made by Edward, to rub the greenish sap on it.

Soon the smaller of the two animals was too writhing in pain, while the two tigers fled towards Hestia as quickly as they had arrived. With his jaw filled with blood, Loki was the first to arrive, but Azeil suddenly became dizzy and lost his rhythm, refusing to let go of the root. Shortly after, he finally arrived but to collapse at the feet of the young blonde woman, breathing heavily with glassy eyes.

Without a word, the Captain moved as best she could towards her animal, unable to speak after having seen such a scene and having gone through countless emotions. With trembling hands, she withdrew what he had in his mouth, understanding at once what had happened. The root they had brought had a sap made of flammable poison, very dangerous for those who didn't know how to cure themselves.

During the two brothers' intervention to poison the jaguars, Azeil had bitten the branch too hard and some poison had entered his mouth.

"I see...you two were very brave."

Finally speaking, in a weaker voice than usual, Hestia gently stroked the head of the white tiger with the black crest lying on the red ground. He who was the most playful, the most naive and the most childish, had that night shown an unexpected courage at the risk of his own life. Azeil and Loki, with their simple action had ignited in the young blonde woman and her friend, something they had experienced not long ago.

"Thank you..."

This powerful feeling that arose from the depths of the soul finding its source in the pain of the heart, anger and desire for revenge. That feeling that had caused the gift of the Hysterics to awaken and that had caused the very first appearance of the Insane Demon. As Hestia thanked her companions by helping Azeil back on his feet, the part of her that had been buried for far too long, awoke.

"Please, hold on a little longer Azeil, I promise to end this quickly and heal you"

She knew this plant well, during their hunting parties on Coven Island, it was she who had shown them and explained its properties. The young woman knew the antidote which was very simple but at this moment, she could not make it but Azeil only had a few minutes left. As the two tigers slowly walked away, one staggering poisoned and using the body of the other to keep from collapsing, the Cerberus Captain spoke her last words.

"Loki...watch over your brother."

Then, calmly, she would grab the branch with one hand before pouring the green liquid onto the long black blade of her blood covered sword. Throwing the rest to Edward, Hestia then closed her eyes taking a deep breath before passing her sword over a small fire remnant. At that moment, her black blade ignited while the tip of her friend's spear did as well, making their weapon the advantage they so desperately needed.

Thanks to Loki and Azeil, who had risked their lives with fear in their stomachs but with incredible bravery, the two pirates had remembered one thing. It wasn't because they hated what was in front of them that they fought, but because they loved those who stood behind. What was the point of being strong if it was those they wanted to protect who came to their rescue in the hardest of times ?

As the flames danced on the blades and the four beings faced each other for the last time, Hestia finally opened her eyes. Like the very first time, her gaze had changed, this time reflecting a coldness, a madness and a wrath that made the two beasts recoil. For the very last time, the roots of the hair of the two friends were changing, announcing the last attack that would designate the winners of this dark and gloomy night.

It was at this moment that one had to be the strongest, at the moment when everything was going to be played out, when everything could fall apart and change the destiny. It was at that moment that one had to make the flame an inextinguishable torch, set one's soul ablaze like a mighty scorching sun and draw from despair itself an unshakeable courage.

After all, on land as on sea, pirates' greatest glory is not in never falling... but in rising every single time they fall.

1