Zhou Lihua’s Birthday, Part II
1k 6 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They arrived at the Zhou Clan compound several hours after entering the carriage. The evening sun cast vibrant reds, oranges, and purples along the outer wall, which was decorated with banners and paper lanterns. Several people stood ready to greet them at the large entrance. They stood with their hands clasped and wore elaborate robes.

One of them was none other than Zhou Zu.

“Oh, my. Welcome, all of you. It is great to see you here. I am honored you could make it.”

“The honor is all ours. We were very pleased when you invited us,” Father said, bowing.

While Zhou Zu greeted Father and his two wives, a lot of attention was on the girls standing on either side of Wu Jian. Many people would point at them and whisper to each other.

Wu Meiying and Hou Jingshu were abnormally pretty even by noble standards. The mysterious beauty and the lively princess. Wu Jian likened their appearances and personalities to light and day, the sun and the moon. He didn’t blame the elders and younger members of the family for staring. Even Zhou Zu kept casting glances at them out of the corner of his eye.

“I see you’ve learned of the fashion from the Ten Kingdoms Alliance. You know our main family is stationed out of there. I myself have only been there twice in my life, but I suspect my little Lihua will eventually be asked to move there. She’s a talented girl, that one, and with her beauty, she is sure to be an asset to the clan,
Zhou Zu boasted. The pride in his voice was something an ignorant fool would be able to hear.

Father smiled, though it looked stiff. “I am certain she will. Even now, I cannot help but be impressed by her prowess both on and off the field of battle.”

Zhou Zu chuckled. “That pleases me. However, I do sometimes worry about her drive and competitive nature. I’m afraid she’ll scare off all the boys with her attitude.”

As Zhou Zu and Father spoke, everyone else fell in step behind them. Wu Taohua and Mother were one step behind them, while Wu Jian, Wu Meiying, and Hou Jingshu were two steps behind them. The elders and youngsters who made up the greeting procession fell several steps behind him and his companions. Even so, he could still make out the conversation between the youngsters.

It’s not like they’re trying to hide their fascination. Ugh, I wish I could pummel them, but that would be rude.

“So that’s Wu Meying and Hou Jingshu? Dang. I knew those two were pretty, but I didn’t realize how pretty.”

“Looking at them is like admiring the sun and the moon at the same time. How blessed I am to be graced with such visions of loveliness.”

“If only that brat wasn’t in the picture.”

“To think such a young man already has a flower on each arm. I am truly envious.”

Wu Jian could only grimace at the dialogue happening behind them, though Wu Meiying appeared amused. She giggled as she gently held his arm.

“Aren’t you lucky, Jian? You get to have a flower on each arm during this auspicious event,” she teased.

He smiled back. “What are you talking about? I always have a flower on each arm. What makes today any different except for the venue?”

“Could you two please not talk like this? I’m already feeling self-conscious,” a blushing Hou Jingshu glanced furtively around as though making sure no one was close enough to hear their conversation.

“I’m a little surprised you feel that way. Shouldn’t you be used to events like this?” asked Wu Jian.

“I-I am. I attended events like this all the time back home,” Hou Jingshu stuttered.

“So what makes this time any different?”

“W-well, it’s because… you know, I’m with my… my fiancé…”

“In other words, she’s embarrassed to attend a public function with the man she’s to wed.” Wu Meiying graced the brunette with a teasing grin. When all Hou Jingshu did was look away, she giggled. “Fortunately for you, Jian, I would happily proclaim you’re the man I plan to marry at the very top of that tower if I could. Aren’t you lucky?”

“I am easily the luckiest person alive,” Wu Jian said.

“That’s just because you have no shame,” Hou Jingshu said with a scowl.

“Who needs shame when you have strength?” asked Wu Meiying.

“Okay, you two. Remember, we can’t cause any trouble here,” Wu Jian said.

“Of course, dear.” Wu Meiying stuck out her tongue.

“Don’t worry. I know how to behave at functions like this.” Hou Jingshu sniffed.

They walked through the courtyard and up a set of stairs that led into an expansive dining hall far bigger than the one used by the Wu Clan. Decorated with support pillars painted a dark red, the caisson ceiling was adorned with paintings of the Qilin—a legendary magical beast with dragon-like features, cloven hooves, antlers, thick eyelashes, and a mane that flowed upwards. Wu Jian had read books about the legendary Qilin, which were said to be as brilliant as any jewel and so gentle they wouldn’t walk even on grass for fear of harming a single blade.

He wondered if those legends were true, though he didn’t think he would ever meet a Qilin. They were even rarer than dragons and phoenixes.

“That’s an impressive ceiling,” he said, turning back to look at Wu Meiying. “Don’t you think… so?”

When Wu Jian looked at Wu Meiying, his expression froze upon seeing the dark look in her eyes as she, too, gazed upon the ceiling. It was gone within a flash, however. He wondered if maybe he had been hallucinating.

“It is a very magnificent ceiling,” she agreed with a smile.

“Yeah…”

Did I just imagine that? I’ve never seen her look like that. I could have sworn there was murder in her eyes! Does she have something against the Qilin?

“I had heard the Zhou Clan worshipped Qilins. Their appearance is said to foretell the birth of a great sage. They are often thought to be symbols of luck, good omens, and prosperity,” Hou Jingshu said.

“Prosperity, huh? Yeah, right,” Wu Meiying muttered, too low for Hou Jingshu to hear, but just loud enough that he picked up on it. He would have asked her about it, but now was not the time.

There were already hundreds of people inside of the dining hall. All of them were dressed in extravagant gowns and robes bearing styles from across the continent. It was clear that many of these people did not live in Zahn City, for only members of famous clans or individuals of great strength would be allowed to attend a party such as this, and he did not recognize anyone.

“Look over there. You see those people in robes? Those are members of the Alchemist Association. They must have come from Dahua City, or perhaps even one of the more prosperous cities closer to the capital.” Hou Jingshu pointed at a group of silver-robed individuals. There were four. Two of them, a man and a woman, wore robes with gold lining, but the other two, both boys, wore robes with red lining.

Wu Jian could only assume the color of the lining denoted their status. He couldn’t figure out what position someone who had gold on their robes possessed, but the two boys were obviously apprentices.

“I have never seen members of the Alchemist Association before,” Wu Jian said.

“I’m a little surprised to see them two, but I guess even if she’s just the heiress of a branch family, she’s still from the Zhou Clan,” Hou Jingshu said.

“Don’t look now,” Wu Meiying interrupted, “But Ming Shen and Ming Han are both present as well.”

Wu Jian tried hard not to turn in the direction of the two, but he found it impossible when he sensed the glare on him. He turned his head. Ming Shen was glowering as he stood next to his father and Juishi Meirin. While his outfit was nice, it did not compare to the robes Wu Jian’s mother had forced him into. Likewise, Juishi Meirin’s hanfu lacked the splendor of Wu Meiying’s and Hou Jingshu’s Cheongsams.

He tore his gaze away from the trio as their procession finally reached the end of the line, as it were. They had arrived in front of the birthday girl.

Zhou Lihua was a vision to behold. He hated himself for thinking this, but not even Wu Meiying or Hou Jingshu could match her enchanting appearance, though he consoled himself by saying it was because Zhou Lihua was older and therefore possessed a more mature quality than the other two.

She, like his two companions, was wearing a cheongsam, though hers greatly flattered her figure, revelling in both the contours of her waist and exemplary bust. When combined with her seductively narrowed eyes and delightful smile, he could not help but liken her to a fox.

“Daughter, look who has arrived,” Zhou Zu said.

Zhou Lihua had been speaking with several other people, women around the same age group who must have come from Dahua City or even further out, and yet the moment her eyes landed on him, it was as if they had been forgotten. She fortunately had enough decorum to greet the head of his clan first. However, he thought she might have gone straight to him if not for his father’s presence.

I’m probably just being arrogant for thinking that.

“Lord Wu, I am honored by your visitation. Thank you for blessing me on my birthday like this,” she said with a traditional bow.

Father bowed back. “I would not have missed this for the world. Speaking of your birthday, we have a gift for you.”

That was his cue. Wu Jian had been holding onto the small box, wrapped in silver and gold, this entire time. The two girls on either side let go as he stepped forward and presented the box to Zhou Lihua.

“Jian, I’m glad to see you again. This is… for me, yes?”

The fact that she said his name with such familiarity caused a stir amongst those present. Even Father coughed several times into his hand as though he had choked on air. Zhou Zu looked aghast at his daughter like she’d made a faux pas, but Zhou Lihua paid attention to none of that, smiling as she accepted the gift and stared into his eyes.

Her gaze is quite mesmerizing. I can understand why all the younger men of the Zhou Clan are infatuated with her.

He remembered the first time he visited how every young man stared at her as they passed. There was even that one boy who had acted quite belligerent because of how close Zhou Lihua acted with him. What was his name again? He had long forgotten it since the boy wasn’t important enough to remember.

“May I open it now?” she asked.

It was tradition not to open a present on one’s sixteenth birthday until after dinner… but such thoughts didn’t even ocurre to him as he nodded.

“Please do.”

The stirring grew louder as people began speaking all at once. Father smacked his own face, but Mother was giggling behind a folding fan. Wu Taohua looked emotionless. However, even her right eye was twitching.

“Then I’m going to open it now,” Zhou Lihua declared.

“Daughter…” Zhou Zu muttered bitterly, but his daughter barely paid attention to him.

“I know I lost to this girl in the tournament, but I rather like her,” Wu Meiying said.

“Of course you would. Her personality is a match for yours. I bet you two would be great friends,” Hou Jingshu said.

“Now, don’t be like that, Jingshu. I am positive she and I would become fast friends, but you are my sister and I love you so very much. Please, be at peace. No one will ever replace you in my heart.”

“Who’s worried about something like that?!”

Wu Jian ignored the byplay behind him and held his breath as Zhou Lihua delicate unwrapped the gift. The wrappers fell away to reveal a simple and unadorned box. Everyone else had settled down and were now staring silently, curious to know what the Wu Clan had gotten her. When Zhou Lihuwa finally opened the box, her eyes gained an even more vibrant luster.


There's one more chapter for Zhou Lihua's birthday. Next chapter is the breakthrough. I hope you like Zhou Lihua. She's kind of a fox.

Please remember to like and bookmark this chapter. The more readers who press that heart button, the more readers who will get to see this story. I think it would be nice if a bunch more people could join us. Comments are also really good motivation. Let me know what you thought about this chapter, or if you found any mistakes or something odd about it that doesn't make sense.

♦__♦__♦

Special thanks to all my Helpful Slime Patrons. They have decided to support me without asking for anything in return.  Jordan Lee, Damian Paradis, Dylan Suomela, Josh Lamsdale-Loyd, and Vikks Hallowhaunt! Thank you so much! You are the freaking best!

I also can’t forget to thank my other patrons. They’re the ones who made this web novel possible. My Human, Yuki-Onna, Nekomata, Succubus, Alien, and Kitsune-tier Patrons. Everyone who supports me is the backbone of my endeavors.

Read 45 chapters ahead on my Patreon!

Follow Me!

 | Check Out My Light Novels! | Brandon’s Discord | Twitter (Warning, I Sometimes Tweet NSFW Content) | Facebook | Instagram |

My artist has a Twitter!

| Michiroon |

47