Who’re You Calling Grandpa?!
487 3 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mei Xilan was a persistent woman. She continued to make not-so-subtle advances even though he had rejected her. When he asked why, she didn’t say anything. It was like the woman was incapable of answering. Because of that, Wu Jian had no idea why she was pursuing him, but he and Hou Jingshu had spent much of the time on the Zhang Jian Tang simply trying to avoid her.

It was exhausting.

Since they were on an airship, one that did not belong to the royal family, Wu Jian and Hou Jingshu avoided having sex. They didn’t share a room together either. Their rooms were across from each other.

I am one with the universe.

Everything exists within the universe.

If everything exists within the universe, then I exist within everything.

For I am one with the universe.

And the universe is me.

All things within the universe exist within their own space.

It was late at night and the Zhang Jian Tang was soaring over the Shang Kingdom. Were Wu Jian to look outside his window, he would have seen the moon hanging overhead, but right now, he was focused inward.

Wu Jian’s cultivation had risen to the Half-Step Human Limit Realm after his battle with Mei Xilan, but it refused to budge after that. It didn’t matter how much he cultivated. Taking in the chi from his surroundings did nothing, so he was currently contemplating the verses of his cultivation method, hoping to glean some insight into the Dao of Space.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t having much luck. His thoughts were scattered. He was too distracted. He had been sitting cross-legged for most of the night and still couldn’t concentrate.

It’s no use… might as well get some fresh air.

Wu Jian uncurled his legs and stood up. Sitting for so long had left them slightly numb, but he walked to the door and exited. It didn’t take long before he was standing on the deck. He placed his hands on the railing and looked at the sea of stars as the crisp midnight air filled his lungs. The cold chill served to help him settle down.

“Are you having trouble sleeping?”

“Hmm? Oh, not really. I was trying to cultivate, but I keep getting distracted. What about you, Elder Hua?”

The person who had walked up behind him was none other than the head elder of the Ice Phoenix Sect. Dressed in a resplendent silver nightgown that looked like fresh snow glittering underneath the stars, the woman was picturesque in ways no other person could be. Her small, pert nose, soft lips, and almond eyes gave her a look of innocent, virginal beauty that contrasted strongly with the cold expression on her face. Her nightgown was quite thin. He wondered if she was cold until he remembered that she cultivated ice.

Hua Xue stepped up beside him, placed a single arm on the railing, and leaned forward slightly. He did not believe it was her intention, but the way her robes showed off her chest and hips was erotic. She didn’t seem to realize how it looked though. He was sure she would have said something, or adjusted her posture. Was she just naive?

“I rarely ever sleep,” Hua Xue admitted with a shrug. “As cultivators become increasingly more powerful, their need for regular human actions like eating and sleeping dwindle. I used to be able to go years without sleeping or eating.”

“Were you cultivating too?”

“Not this time. I was… contemplating.”

Wu Jian thought about asking her to clarify. Hua Xue was surprisingly open for someone who acted so cold. However, there was something he wanted to know more.

“Why is Mei Xilan so interested in me?” he asked.

“I believe it is because you are so strong,” Hua Xue said. When Wu Jian just tilted his head, she smiled wryly. It was just a small, almost unnoticeable smile, but it was there. “You may be surprised to know this, but the Ice Phoenix Sect does not allow men only because our cultivation method is not suitable for them. Male chi is composed mostly of yang. Female chi is yin. Ice cultivation methods rely on gathering primarily yin chi to work, so of course, we don’t allow men to join us.”

Wu Jian knew that, of course. Huǒ Shuchang had been the one to explain this to him, but he had not realized the Ice Phoenix Sect was not against men. He had just assumed they did not like men because they were a women-only sect. Perhaps that was what he got for making assumptions.

Hua Xue continued after a short pause. “While ice cultivation methods affect our personalities to some degree, making us colder and less emotional, that does not mean we don’t feel. We feel just as strongly as anyone else. We are simply unable to show our emotions like others.”

“Even you?”

“Even me,” Hua Xue admitted. “Back to what I was saying. The women in our sect are just as interested in things like men and romance as normal women. Ahem. I personally do not care for such frivolities, but many of our disciples, especially the younger ones, like to talk about boys and romance.”

“It’s pretty cute how you had to add that you don’t care about such things,” Wu Jian said. “Has anyone told you how adorable you are…? Are you blushing?”

Hua Xue turned away. “No.”

“I think you are.”

“It’s your imagination.”

“Then why is your face red?”

Hua Xue suddenly reached up to touch her face, as though checking to see if it was red. It wasn’t, of course. Her cultivation method prevented her face from growing warm like that. Wu Jian snickered into his mask, and Hua Xue, realizing she’d been had, cast him a glare.

“That was not funny,” she accused.

“Are you sure?”

“Why do you keep asking me questions like that?”

“I was just teasing last time. I’m being serious this time.” Hua Xue’s face didn’t change, but he had this distinct sense that she was confused, so he said. “Make an ice mirror and look at your reflection.”

Xua Hue hesitated, then created a mirror of ice. She stared at her reflection in the glimmering surface. Wu Jian waited with a smile behind his mask as the woman continued to stare at her own face, or rather, at the smile that was actually visible on it.

“… I don’t understand. Why am I smiling?” she wondered out loud.

Why indeed.

“So why is Mei Xilan interested in me?” asked Wu Jian, both to get back on track and because he thought it would be cruel to tease the woman further. He wondered if anyone else had ever done this to her. Did anyone else have the gall?

Hua Xue huffed but got back on track. “Mei Xilan is the youngest of the Ice Phoenix Sect’s disciples, but she is also the strongest. There is a lot of pressure riding on her shoulders. She does her best to live up to the sect master’s expectations, but I won’t lie. The Ice Phoenix Sect has placed a huge burden on her. She is the hope of the sect.” Hua Xue turned to him. “I believe the reason she is so interested in you is a combination of many things, but at its core, her reasons are simple. She wants someone strong who can help shoulder her burdens.”

***

They arrived at the Sacred Grounds early the next morning. It was a small mountain surrounded by trees. The Zhang Jian Tang set down just outside of the small forest, and the group proceeded to trek through it.

“Are you okay, Jian Wu? You seem distracted,” Hou Jingshu said.

“Master is thinking about his talk with the ice lady last night,” announced Yōuměi.

“Ice lady?” Hou Jingshu’s brows furrowed. “You don’t mean Mei Xilan?”

“No, not her. I was talking to Hua Xue. I couldn’t sleep last night and went outside. She bumped into me and we had a small chat,” Wu Jian explained.

“About what?”

“Apparently, women of the Ice Phoenix Sect are just as thirsty as normal women,” Wu Jian said.

“Huh?” Hou Jingshu made confused people noises.

Wu Jian shook his head. “It was about how women of the Ice Phoenix Sect still have emotions like normal people, but they cannot express them because of their cultivation. It was an enlightening conversation.”

“Oh…” Hou Jingshu needed a moment to process that. “I would not have expected her to be so open about something like that.”

Wu Jian shrugged. “Neither did I.”

“I think the ice lady likes master,” Yōuměi added.

“Now that I highly doubt,” Wu Jian muttered dryly.

He glanced at Hua Xue, who walked ahead of him alongside her three disciples. He didn’t think she had heard them.

Yu Chenguang and Húndàn Qie led their little group. Following them was Hua Xue, Mei Xilan, Xian Fen, and Xun Xi. Behind them was Jia Xinyue. Wu Jian and Hou Jingshu came last. They were accompanied by Yōuměi, the huge black panther who had caused quite the stir when everyone first saw her.

Since everyone already knew about Yōuměi, Wu Jian saw no point in making her hide in his shadow. She claimed to like it inside. She said it was comfortable and warm. However, she also admitted that she enjoyed stretching her legs.

Of course, her presence caused quite the stir. Even now, Yu Chenguang and Húndàn Qie seemed wary of her, perhaps because she was at the Human Limit Realm.

But Hua Xue doesn’t seem concerned at all.

Hua Xue was something of a mystery to him. She didn’t act at all like the other Human Limit Realm experts he knew. Everyone else acted grandiose and charismatic. She alone seemed to care very little for standing on ceremony. She was quiet and insular. He wondered if that was because of her cultivation method, or if there was another reason.

They soon arrived at the foot of the mountain, where a small cave opened up. Was this the entrance to the Sacred Ground? It didn’t look like much at first, but as he looked closer, Wu Jian realized there was a powerful seal array located near the entrance. The hairs on his neck was prickling as well. It felt like something powerful was sealed here.

“I know it doesn’t look like much, but that is because the Sacred Grounds is hidden,” Húndàn Qie informed them. “We have placed a powerful seal array here to ward off normal people from entering. We have spared no expense. Even someone at the Deva Realm would be unable to break into this place.”

“I guess it’s time to undo the seal,” Yu Chenguang said, cracking his knuckles.

“Indeed.”

The two rivals stepped forward, sat down with their legs crossed, and began performing hand seals. They were in perfect sync. While it was obvious they were rivals who competed over who was stronger, it was also clear that they had a strong bond of friendship. It would have been impossible for them to be in sync like this otherwise.

A strong thrum caused the air to vibrate. Wu Jian felt the chi being released as the seal array surrounding the Sacred Grounds became illuminated with light. He was forced to cover his eyes as the light grew too bright to look at. Yōuměi let loose an annoyed cry, though it sounded more like a roar.

Wu Jian lowered his arm as the light died down, blinking several times as his eyes readjusted. The small cave didn’t look any different now than it had before. That meant very little, however, for the entire cave felt different. If he looked at this cave with his senses instead of his sight, he could see the vast quantities of chi pouring from it like a river. There was so much chi that Wu Jian could feel his cultivation shake just by standing near it.

I see. So this is the Sacred Grounds.

It was an impressive feeling. He had been to places where the chi was strong, but it was much more concentrated here than all the other places that he had visited.

Something caught his attention, and he glanced at Hua Xue, furrowing his brow. While everyone else stared in awe at the cave, she alone seemed uncaring. It was like she didn’t put the chi pouring from this cavern mouth in her eyes at all. Like it was completely beneath her notice. How strange. Even Yu Chenguang and Húndàn Qie stared at the cave in reverence.

Húndàn Qie turned to face them. “This is the Sacred Grounds. When you travel inside, you will find a small lake. Every fifty years, this lake becomes filled with a type of liquid called Sacred Tears. This liquid contained chi in its purest form. In reward for your exemplary performance, you will be allowed to absorb this liquid.”

The fact that Húndàn Qie and Yu Chenguang were allowing them to cultivate here meant this liquid wouldn’t benefit them anymore. Most likely, the Sacred Tears lost effectiveness once someone reached a specific point in their cultivation, and so they had decided to let the younger generation have the benefits.

Their group was directed to move as one. Mei Xilan and Xien Fei entered first, followed by Jia Xinyue. Xun Xi pouted as her sister disciples disappeared. Hou Jingshu and Wu Jian followed after them. However, Wu Jian stopped before the entrance when he realized Yōuměi was following him.

“You’re going to have to stay here,” he said to her.

“What? Why? Yōuměi doesn’t want to be parted from you, Master! Yōuměi wants to stay with you!”

“Only the victors of the tournament are allowed the enter,” Wu Jian explained patiently.

“Yōuměi doesn’t care! She wants to go with you!”

Wu Jian wondered if the vein he felt throbbing on his forehead was just his imagination. This child was so much easier to deal with when she couldn’t talk.

“I understand how you feel, but…”

He was at a loss. Yōuměi was pouting and seemed adamant on going with him, and she was strong enough that he couldn’t stop her. Why wouldn’t she be obedient to him? Was this what it meant to raise a disobedient child? He felt like an old man trying to raise a mischievous daughter.

“Yōuměi wants to go! Yōuměi wants to go!”

As he stood there in indecision, the shadows around Yōuměi began to writhe. The entire forest suddenly grew dark. Even the chi surrounding them felt darker, more ominous. What was this feeling? Wu Jian felt like he might sink into the blackest depths if he let this continue on for too long.

Hua Xue finally paid attention to the panther, and her eyes widened, though she seemed more surprised than anything--quite unlike Yu Chenguang and Húndàn Qie, who looked like they might piss themselves.

“You can let her enter with you,” Húndàn Qie suddenly said. He looked like a kind grandfather with that smile, but his eyes as he stared at the panther were quite wary.

“Are you sure?” asked Wu Jian.

Húndàn Qie shrugged. “I don’t see a problem with it.”

“Well… alright. Come on, Yōuměi. Be sure to thank the Sect Master for his generosity.”

“Yay!” Yōuměi turned to Húndàn Qie. “Thanks, Grandpa!”

“G-grandpa…” Húndàn Qie’s right eye twitched.

Wu Jian pretended he saw nothing as he and Yōuměi followed after Hou Jingshu and the others.


Please remember to like and bookmark this chapter. The more readers who press that heart button, the more readers who will get to see this story. I think it would be nice if a bunch more people could join us. Comments are also really good motivation. Let me know what you thought about this chapter, or if you found any mistakes or something odd about it that doesn't make sense.

♦__♦__♦

Special thanks to my Helpful Slime tier patrons: Lord Goldmine, Thomas Pruitt, Gingy, Damian Paradis, Vikks Hallowhaunt, and Jericho Knight! Thank you so much! You are the freaking best!

I also can’t forget to thank my other patrons. They’re the ones who made this web novel possible. My Human, Yuki-Onna, Nekomata, Succubus, Alien, and Kitsune-tier Patrons. Everyone who supports me is the backbone of my endeavors.

Read 45 chapters ahead on my Patreon!

Follow Me!

 | Check Out My Light Novels! | Brandon’s Discord | Twitter (Warning, I Sometimes Tweet NSFW Content) | Facebook | Instagram |

My artist has a Twitter!

| Michiroon |

38