New Ally Pt. 3
1.9k 8 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Although I felt that I was beginning to lose myself to my emotions, I decided to rely on [Mental Fortification] to try to calm myself as quickly as possible. Once I felt that I had regained enough of my wits, I tried to see if I could get something out of this by asking:

“Wait, how were you able to? I was able to feel your influence at first and I’m sure that I fought it off…” 

“Well yes, you’re right in thinking that, but that’s because I was trying to control you directly at first as opposed to doing it through a longer and more subtle process. At first, I made the mistake of thinking that because you were pretty weak, I would be able to get you to confess to everything by using my two skills. However, hearing you say that you picked up skills to ward off against mind control, I decided to try a more roundabout approach. After all, isn’t that exactly what that something had been doing all along?”

“But, I was able to sense the connection with that something disappear when my [Powerful Will] leveled up…” 

“That’s because whatever that something that’s been trying to control you is, it’s probably not able to exert too much direct influence on you. The fact that you were able to notice it and even fight against it at your level with newly acquired abilities tells me that its strength is rather weak. That’s why it could only directly control you when you lost control of yourself, and part of that was thanks to it subtly influencing you the entire time, which is what I did~”

So basically she never stopped using the ability, just changed her approach… Which means I’m still not safe from mind control, and if she had a higher tier of [Persuasion] or a stronger ability I might not have been able to avoid direct control… 

“To tell you the truth, I expect that [Veritas] works as a window that allows them to continue influencing you. Maybe not as much as before, but it wouldn’t surprise if whatever is trying to control you is still able to exert some influence over you that you’re not aware of.”

Hearing her thoughts, I was beginning to feel a certain stress at the thought that I might not be able to escape this stupid mind control. Charlotte however, shook her head side to side after seeing my expression as she continued:

“Don’t worry too much about it. The fact that I was able to influence your thoughts with my [Persuasion] tells me that it’s not too big of a problem. If you were truly under their control at this moment, even just a slight one, then my own ability wouldn’t have had any effect on yours, as theirs would essentially act as a barrier ‘protecting’ you from me. So while I’m a bit worried about what’s been trying to control you, and that they might influence some of your decisions now and then without you knowing, I don’t think it’s something that’s always active and too big of a problem if we can get you to increase your strength.”

Then, putting on a serious expression as she changed her focus to Ailya, Charlotte continued saying:

“And to be honest with you, I doubt that you’re the actual target of whatever that something is, after all, you’re not really all that impressive as a vessel. What you do have, however, is something that seems to be able to distort fate to an extent. The most likely scenario that I could think of is that they used you to gain control of our little hero. And that they were planning on using you to guide her all the way to the demon continent to be used as a vessel in reviving the actual Demon Lord. Our most likely suspect here, would be the demon general Krato, although the method in which you gained [Veritas] makes me feel like things aren’t exactly adding up. I’ll need to go research this to try to understand what the hell actually happened…” 

“Wait wait wait, you’re losing me. What do you mean ‘vessel’? Who’s Krato? And why do you think he’s responsible for all this?”

To my question, Charlotte responded in a tired tone:

“Oh right, let me explain some things to you since you don’t know anything.”

Sorry for only being here less than a month.

“So to make a rather long story short, you were summoned by a group known as the ‘demon cultists’ under the control of a demon general named Krato. However, when the summoning was supposed to take place, me and some companions of mine that are about as smart as you managed to disturb it right as it was happening. Since a lot of the mana needed to properly summon a demon was dispersed, instead of summoning a powerful demon to act as vessel for the Demon Lord, they summoned a stupid girl that thinks she can become a Demon Lord! Pretty funny, don’t you think?”

Hey, is she just going to keep insulting me. And what does she mean that I’m as stupid as her companions? Does she just think she’s better than anyone? Fucking narcissist. 

And that’s why I was summoned? To become the vessel for a Demon Lord… Is that why I wanted to become one in the first place? Do I even have any free will?… Let me not think about it too much at the moment before I get an existential crisis…

“So then, doesn’t that mean I also have to worry about Krato and the demon cultists coming after me?”

“No, it doesn’t mean we have to worry about him. You obviously have to worry about ALL the demons and the demon cultists for as long as you stay with the hero. Especially once we confirm you as a hero as well. I promise you that no matter how hard this Kingdom tries to hide you two, your existences and identities will eventually be found out by the people we don’t want to. And from then on, you can expect quite a few people will try to assassinate you.”

“Do I really have to make myself appear as one of heroes.”

“If it’s really too troublesome, I could just end you here and now. Would you prefer that?”

“No, I’m good…”

“Then stop complaining and listen up. There are a few things we’ll have to do if you want to survive. But if you want to receive my aid, then I want you to promise me that you’ll listen to my instructions and do as your told. I don’t mind you asking questions, but the last thing I want to do is have to force you to follow my instructions. If you ever feel like it’s too bothersome, feel free to leave and survive on your own. Now what do you say, do you want my help?”

Honestly by this point, I want nothing to do with this witch, her entire confusing actions since yesterday and now her ‘I’m better than anyone’ attitude was really getting on my nerves. However, thinking about the current situation we found ourselves in, with the Order of the Grey Heron after us, the future conflicts that we would face against the demons and their cultists, and the general difficulty that surviving in another world alone posed, I thought that at the moment, it would be stupid to not accept Charlotte's help. At least, until I gained more strength and increased the tier of my [Doppelganger] to the point I could also change my mana signature.

Thus, turning to face her, I nodded to Charlotte and said:

“Yes, please lend me your help. However…”

Hearing the last word, Charlotte raised her right eyebrow as she gave me a curious look that told me she was interested in what I was about to say. Deciding to not leave her wanting for too long, I continued, telling her, almost as an act of defiance towards her and more importantly, as a statement meant to remind myself of my conviction:

“Even if I’m following you for now, I still plan on becoming the Demon Lord.” 

48