The Library
1.8k 9 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Waking up peacefully… Yeah no, we woke up thanks to a certain psychotic bitch throwing our covers off and yelling at us to wake up. I mean, there’s no fucking alarm here, so how am I supposed to wake up on time?

“Why didn’t you put on an alarm? It’s already 4:30!”

Oh fuck off, I didn’t even know there was an alarm here, I mean, I don’t fucking see it anywhere. And also, already 4:30? It’s only 4:30 in the fucking morning! Like holy shit, that’s basically my bedtime in the summer!

“Okay, okay we’re getting up.”

Following our forced awakening, Ailya and I began getting ready as the two of us were basically sleepwalking everywhere. After finishing getting ready, Charlotte brought us some coffee…

They have coffee in this world?

As we both drank the bitter drink that helped jolt us awake.

Following that, the three of us made our way out as Charlotte informed us that she would be following us while using an ability that would make her invisible to everyone but us. Thus, the three of us walked mostly in silence, although Ailya and I would make the occasional comment and have a small chat between us, all the way to the church where we dropped off Ailya in front of the very surprised head priest, who seemed pleasantly surprised that Ailya was so ‘willing’ to offer her charity for the lady at such an early hour.

After I gave my goodbye to the two, Charlotte and I walked in complete silence to the library, which was honestly pretty close to the hotel. Meaning we were basically walking back from the long trek that was heading to the church, a rather inefficient route if you ask me . Once we finally reached the library, we made our way up the stairs to the rather impressive looking entrance. Staring at a notice hanging from the decorated door, I saw that the library opened at 8 in the morning, and that it would be another one and a half hours until the library would open.

Charlotte, however, did not seem to mind this as she loudly knocked on the door a couple of times. 

Surprisingly, a minute after her knocks a tall pale man wearing wine-red suit, with spiky grey hair like that of Wolverine's, and small round glasses adorning his eyes opened the door as he angrily glared at me.

Before he could make any misconception and blame me for the annoyance, I pointed to my side and said:

“Charlotte is standing right there and she was the one who knocked on the door.”

Surprisingly, the man seemed to immediately believe me as he switched his gaze to my left side and narrowed his eyes as if he was trying to peer through the invisible troublemaker.

Charlotte thankfully, quickly undid her camouflage as she pouted towards me as she said “HEY!” before turning to the tall pale man and saying:

“Oh, hey there Kelvin~ There’s a few things we need to talk about.”

Releasing a sigh with a look that said that he was used to this, Kelvin responded:

“Haaa, follow me inside.”

With those words, the two of us made our way in as Kelvin turned to look at me and asked:

“Are you the little runaway that’s supposed to be helping out today?”

“Huh? I-I guess?”

Raising his eyebrow, Kelvin seemed to give me an annoyed look as he said:

“You guess?”

Stepping in, Charlotte said, “Yes, well, that’s what I’m here to talk about.” Before taking Kelvin with her and beginning a private conversation in another room, as I was left standing in the reception area of the library by myself. 

After about an hour, Charlotte and Kelvin finally returned as Charlotte waved goodbye at Kelvin before turning to me and saying:

“Well, I have to head off now, so be a good girl and study hard, okay?”

Despite me simply nodding to her in response, Charlotte seemed satisfied without me showing her any real respect as she  turned invisible even to me and left the area without the door even opening. Kelvin however, seemed to have his eyes glued to another area as I turned my head at a passage with no door that led to another part of the library.

After the two of us stared at that direction for around a minute, although I wasn’t really sure what I was supposed to be looking at, Kelvin finally opened his mouth as he said:

“How much do you know.”

“About… what?”

“Everything.”

Not sure what he meant by that vague statement, I asked:

“Every-thing as in everything?”

“Yes.”

“Well, I know some math and science, no history however.”

“I see. What about magic?”

“I can use it. And I know how it works, but I don’t know all of the theory behind it.”

“I see. Follow me.”

With a seemingly unchanging stoic expression, Kelvin had me follow him as he began making his way across the library.

Despite the outside of the library being rather simplistic in it’s architecture, the interior of it was an impressive work of art.

A large open area served to welcome those who passed through it’s entrance, as you were greeted with the unique musky smell of books that immediately let you know where you were. Large massive shelves of books that reached up to the top of each floor could be seen against the walls, with moving ladders reclined against them that were clearly meant to be used in order to reach the volumes up above. The mid area of the floor had a wide open space, and looking up you could see a clearing in the two floors up above in a circular shape, allowing you to look up at the two floors above the ground floor up to the roof. Hanging from the roof as well as every floor were different birds and aquatic animals that seemed to fly or float in the library. And the smaller, more human friendly shelves that littered the ground floor were decorated with intricate designs on their sides.

Despite me being clearly distracted as I admired the wonderful interior of the library, Kelvin decided to not chastise me and even lowered his walking speed to allow me to better gaze at the surroundings. Seeing his considerate actions, I decided not to waste his  too much of his time while giving him an awkward smile that let him understood that I was ready to move on.

As we finally made it to the shelf that Kelvin was headed to, Kelvin deftly made his way to exactly where the book he was looking for was as he took out a rather large book and passed it to me.

The book had a thick leather cover that was blue in color, and in bold white letters the title ‘Zinad’s: The Complete History of our World: From the beginning to the Rise of the First Kingdoms 4th Edition’ could be read. After that, Kelvin passed me an equally large book with a cover of the same color that read, ‘Zinad and Qin’s: The Complete History of our World: From the First Kingdoms to the rise of Bharata and the East 2nd Edition. After that, he passed me yet another large book with a brown cover this time that read, ‘Zinad and Qin’s: The Complete History of our World: From the Great Empires in Bharata and the East to the Great Demon Invasion 5th Edition’. Yet again, despite my now tired arms protest, Kelvin passed me another book, although luckily it appeared to be the last one as it said, ‘Zinad and Kriol’s: The Complete History of our World: From the Triumph Against the Invaders to Today 2nd Edition’.

A bit stunned at the rather large and imposing, and heavy!, history collection in my arms, I turned to look at Kelvin as he simply said:

“Start reading these books, when you finish a volume, put it back here. You don’t need to worry about helping out, just focus on studying. When the library closes at 6 in the afternoon, come find me at the reception area. Well, that’s all. If you have any questions you can ask me, although I may be busy, so try to figure it out yourself. After all, you’re in a library.”

With that serving as a parting statement, Kelvin nodded to me as he made his way to another area of the library. As for me, I just stayed standing there dumbfounded for a while until the weight of the books reminded me to move as I made my way to one of the tables deeper in the library.

Every five book shelves, there would be a large space in between the next shelf where two long tables could be found. As there were a total of four shelves every row, there were actually quite a large amount of areas where to sit. I, however, preferred to be alone and therefore went deep into the library, although not to the last row as to avoid anyone who may have the same idea as me bothering me later on.

Finally satisfied with a location. I carried the four large textbooks that my great friend Zinad seemed to have painstakingly written, as I set them down on the table and took the first volume out and opened it. Opening the first page, an autobiography as well as a biography composed by Kriol of the legendary man Zinad himself welcomed me. Reading through it, I discovered that Zinad was an aristocratic man who lived more than 600 years before this time, who was fascinated with history and wanted to compose an entire collection of the known history up to his life, as a conglomeration of all known history did not exist yet in his time.Thus, Zinad spent the next 40 years of his life composing his four volume masterpiece a long with a few other more specific history works. Traveling across the world and meeting a wide variety of people who would also help him in completing his work, as he ultimately finished the last volume but two years before succumbing to disease at the age of 73. I was honestly quite impressed with the Baron as I was sure traveling around this world wasn’t exactly an easy task.

After I had finished getting acquainted with my new friend Zinad, I began reading the book and felt a headache as soon as I saw the tiny and plentiful letters that covered every single damn page. Remembering my conviction, I began to force my way through the massive book that I was certain I would not finish by the time the library closed.

After about an hour of reading, I was honestly at the point where I simply wanted to shut the book off and go to sleep. Thinking about the skills and abilities of the world, and the fact that I remembered [Charlotte] having a skill called [Recollections] or something like that, I began to wonder if it was possible for me to gain a skill that would help me in remembering these endless and sleep inducing letters

As this thought passed through my mind, I felt the connection that I shared with that something flare up as I decided to activate [Veritas] to try to understand what it wanted. Once I had done this, I felt a notification go off as I saw that I had gained a new soul skill. Taking a closer look at the notification, I let out a silent chuckle as I read:

{You’ve Unlocked (Soul Skill)[Book of Truth I]!}

Using Veritas on it, I understood that the [Book of Truth] worked as an internal archive where I could store all of the truths of the world. Although at the moment it only served to allow me to record new knowledge into it so that I could access it later, I had a feeling that it would be a more impressive ability due to its name once I was able to increase its tier.

With this new ability that I had gained. I was now sure that Charlotte’s assumption that that something had only been using me to get close to Ailya was wrong. Although that might also be part of its plan, the fact was that up to now, that something had been giving me abilities and skills, as well as guiding my actions in a manner that helped me in my journey to become something akin to a Demon Lord. It might be entirely possible that it was trying to strengthen me before using us me for the revival of the Demon Lord.

Regardless of the reason, I was now sure that that something was interested in strengthening me and helping me become a Demon Lord, and this was something I had no plan in letting Charlotte now. That meant that one way or another, I could rely on its help and advice to help me in my journey, as it technically had already helped me before, even if I hadn’t asked for it.

With these thoughts going through my mind. I gave a silent thanks to whatever that something was that I chose to refer to from now on as my friend mister S., before also telling him through my mind that I was still planning to kill him for having controlled me. And even if the only reason I wanted to be a Demon Lord was because I was under his influence, I would make sure to grow powerful enough to kill him and the true Demon Lord before wiping out the demons and creating my own as a token of my gratitude to him.

Although yesterday I felt that I had a plan beginning to form, today I truly felt like I had found a way to navigate this world. And from now on, I would be studying and training as hard as I could. All thanks to a certain mage and with the assistance of mister S. Who would all meet their end eventually under the great evil that the two will have helped to foster… 

48