The Day Before the Beginning
1.5k 10 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the trio turned to leave, I activated my [Veritas] and quickly observed their levels and the fate surrounding them. After observing them for a short moment, I wasn’t able to find anything impressive from the trio and decided not to mind it anymore.

By this point, I was observing anyone who got close to me or Ailya if the chance to do so arose. After all, I had no intention to allow the other hero any opportunity to come into contact with the Order, so I was trying to do my best to make sure that I got rid of them the second I discovered their identities. So far, however, I had yet to find anyone who’s qualities or fate could make them out to be the hero. Although it wasn’t necessary that it was something I would find soon. After all, it’s not as though Ailya and Charlotte met each other the second Ailya was born, and it was also likely that the hero’s fate hadn’t activated, which may be the moment in which their fate will attract them to the other heroes. Which would make this all the more troublesome.

Deciding not to worry about this issue at the moment, I went back to my book and continued reading it until it was time to close. Once this time came, I made my way to Kelvin to finish the last lesson for a week. That’s right, after today I’ll be free to head over to the guild to pick out a few quests to work on and gain my level up. After all, having the ability to gain a new skill or ability after every level up is simply too great of an advantage, and even Kelvin had encouraged me to increase my level so I could learn some worthwhile skills.

Once I had met up with the man, I followed him to the underground area of the library in order to to receive the last lesson in a while……

This is the last time we will meet in a while.” Said Kevin as the two of us talked at the exit of the library.

“Yes, it is. Thank you for everything up to now.” I said while genuinely giving my thanks. After all, the time I spent with him had been rather productive, and I had gained a few skills along with a good amount of knowledge that would undoubtedly prove beneficial in the future.

“Yeah, don’t worry about. Just make sure you don’t get yourself in trouble, not that I think you will.”

Nodding my head, I let Kelvin know that I understood and remembered all the warnings he had given me. At the same time, he felt satisfied with my nod as he had for some reason, a great amount of trust in me. Although if I could advise him I’d tell him otherwise.

The two of us stared at each other awkwardly for a few seconds before Kelvin spoke up and said, “Well, I’ll be going now. You stay safe.”

“You too.” I replied, “And once again, thank you for everything.”

With that, the two of us waved at each other as we each made our way to our own destinations. With Kelvin going to meet up with some friend of his, while I made my way back to The Red Swan.

Along the way back, as I was nearing the hotel, I met up with Ailya, who also had finished up her work for a while. Much to the chagrin of the lads at the monastery, who had been enjoying the benefits brought about by Aylia’s presence. Although thankfully for the poor souls who relied on the monastery, It seemed the archbishop planned to still offer aid and support this church even while Ailya wasn’t there.

The two of us spent the short remaining journey in silence, as we simply enjoyed the company of each other as we left our discussions for when we got back to our hotel room.

Entering the hotel lobby, we found Dean hard at work as always. Waving at the hotel’s slave-I mean receptionist, I gave him a quick greeting as he asked while still moving things around, “Oh, Alex and Alice, nice to see the two of you back at a reasonable hour. Honestly, I know the point of a hotel is for you spend the night, but you two take it a bit too literally.”

Giving an awkward laughter at this statement, I said, “Well…… the two of us have been busy.”

“So I’ve heard from Charlotte. Seems the two of you are going to the guild tomorrow. I’ll take there’s a chance you two might not return for a while, huh? It’ll be lonely without you two you know.”

Knowing that he was saying that in jest, I decided to carry on with the joke as I said, “Sorry about that Dean. I’ll make sure the two of us bring you back something from our journey.

“Oh how thoughtful. Well you two, I have a few things to take care of so I’ll take my leave. Good luck on your quests.” As he said that, Dean waved goodbye as he grabbed a box filled with paper and disappeared to the back room. After seeing him off, the two of us began making the way up to the top floor in order to get to our rooms. When we got to the top floor however,

“Ah, Alex and Alice! How’s it… going…… you two…….”

“Hey, you did something to them, didn’t you?”

“I didn’t I swear! I swear Charlotte must have bad-mouthed me or something!”

When we reached the top floor, we came across Allen as he tried to greet us. I however, ignored him as I had been doing everytime we had met up ever since Charlotte took the opportunity to introduced as to her party as two of her friends. It seemed that despite this group having the princess and the head of the royal knights, they weren’t as privy to affairs as the head magician of the kingdom. While I could guess that there was something more important happening behind the scenes, as Charlotte's party didn’t seem to know just how strong she actually was, I decided to keep my mouth shut in order to avoid incurring the witch's wrath.

“Hey you two, tell me. Did my stupid fiance do something to you two? Just so you know I won’t get mad at you two.”

Hearing Diana ask this in a serious tone, I let out a sigh as I responded, “No, it’s nothing important. If you’ll excuse us, we have to prepare for tomorrow.” Leaving with that vague answer, I took Ailya’s hand as we made our way to our room.

From behind us, I could hear Diana scream at Allen. I had learned that Allen had been less than fateful before, and it seemed that it caused a lot of trust issues between the two. While Allen hadn't actually done anything untoward to the two of us, it was true that he and Diana had immediately dismissed the two of us as paupers which had greatly wounded my pride. While I was certain that I would have done the same if I was in his shoes, as I was sure my appearance wasn’t all that off from his assumption, I was still going to hold a grudge against him. After all, it was an injustice against me, so I was going to continue acting this way until I had gotten my fill from hearing Diana assume that Allan had done something towards the two of us.

Once inside our room, I made my way over to one of the sofas as Ailya happily followed after me. Seeing her in such a good mood, I knew what she wanted as I sat on the edge of the sofa and pat my thighs as Ailya laid down on the sofa for me pamper her. With her looking at me as I caressed her head, the two of us relaxed for a few minutes before Ailya asked, “What are you planning to choose for our quest tomorrow?”

“Oh, I don’t know. I think I want to pick something easy at first, and then look into something more challenging. It’s nice that we are now C-ranked adventurers, but I don’t think we should get too overconfident and pick something that could screw us over.”

“Hmm, I think that’s right. I want to focus on improving my fencing before we do anything too dangerous. I think our magic is fine and that we could easily improve it, but there’s always the chance that it we’ll come across something for which our magic won’t work. So we need to make sure we have another way to defend ourselves.”

“Mhmm, you’re right. Well, I think with how our leveling up goes we should be able to make quite some good progress, so let’s start stacking on these skills so we can both become really strong and beat all these annoying people around us.

“Hehehe, Yeah!”

Our nice and relaxing time didn’t last for long however, as the door opened to reveal the crazy wich. Although I was annoyed at her not knocking on the door, I knew that it was a futile task to reprimand her on the matter.

“Yoho! How are you two doing?”

“Fine.”

“Good, good. Hey listen.”

Hearing Charlotte’s tone turn serious, I looked at her with a questioning look as she gave me a small smile as she said, “It appears I’ll be quite busy for a while, so I don’t think I’ll be able to overlook your progress for a while.”

“What-why, what happened.”

“Can’t say. Just know that I have to deal with some troublesome guys and one of those is a pain in the ass.”

“Even for you” I asked in disbelief, as I doubted there was anyone who could trouble the level 400+ monster in front of me.

“Yes, even for me.” Charlotte answered back however. Her eyes telling me that she wasn’t joking.

“Just who’s strong enough to be a threat for you?”

“Quite a few people. Haven’t I already said, while I’m strong with magic, anyone strong enough to survive against me for about a minute will be able to defeat me once my mana runs out. And that’s exactly the problem with this guy, he’s very good at the whole not dying thing.”

Hearing about the existence of yet another troublesome being, I felt my mind become more tired about how troublesome the future was going to be. Meanwhile, Charlotte seemed to return to her chipper mood as she sad on the one man sofa opposite to us took of her hat. Looking at her, she simply shrugged her shoulders as a smirk suddenly appeared on her face as she said, “Oh yeah, good job on getting Diana pissed off at Allen.”

“No need to thank me, I didn’t do it for your pleasure.”

“I’ll still enjoy the show either way.”

Shrugging my shoulders back in response, I stared at Charlotte as I saw her take off her boots and make herself at home as she suddenly took a nap in front of us. Although I was slightly annoyed at her not going to her own room if she wanted to sleep, I thought that a quiet Charlotte was far less annoying than a talking one, so I decided to follow her example and shuffled around a bit while making sure to not move Ailya’s head too much before finding a comfortable position. Once I had done so, I gave Ailya a small smile before closing my eyes to take a nap myself, deciding to leave worrying about troublesome matters for tomorrow…

44