The Avatar System
3k 10 106
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm going to take creative liberties with this fic. So if Aden finds himself in Injustice, it ain't my fault...

::----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------::

(Aden's P.O.V)

Superman led us through a few long hallways and I got to see the layout of the Watchtower. I couldn't believe it. I was in space, staring down at the cradle of human civilization. Planet earth was… 

"Beautiful right?" 

I nodded in agreement with Superman.  

"She is." 

"It never gets old you know." He said. "It's a sight that always leaves me amazed. Come. You'll get other chances to watch the Earth soon. The watchtower is not going anywhere."

I followed him closely behind. The wonderful sight I'd just witnessed changed my perspective on things. On the walk to the cafeteria, I was already giddy at the prospects of what I could achieve. I was in a fictional world for god sakes! That meant, I wasn't restricted by the mundane anymore. I could…I could be a hero. 

No, that's too shallow a goal, I could be the GREATEST hero in the world. Many would kill to be in my shoes. So no more whining, no more crying, no more doubting myself. 

It was with a new resolve that we finally made it to the cafeteria. The place was huge and almost deserted.  Almost, because of the Scarlet speedster munching on cupcakes and a silver colored man with a red star on his chest reading the newspaper. 

"Supes. There you are. Batman said to tell you about the meeting. I was supposed too come get you but…" Flash gestured to the cupcakes. " I got a bit distracted."

Superman smiled and nodded at the other man present.  

"Captain." 

"Hello Superman. So this our current guest?" 

Superman lightly pushed me forward. 

" Aden meet Captain Atom. Captain this is Aden Strong."

I reached out a hand to shake his hand and my palm disappeared in his huge one. Strangely his skin didn't feel as cold as it looked. 

"Nice to meet you son." 

His voice was strong and I remembered he used to be in the army once. 

I nodded but before I could say anything else, the Flash whooshed in. 

"Hey there. We already met but I didn't introduce myself. I'm Flash, you know, the fastest man alive." 

I blinked. 

"Uh yeah. I'm Aden Strong. The most confused guy alive, I guess." 

I added lamely, not expecting the laughter from Flash. Even Superman chuckled.

I looked at them strangely. Was the bar set for jokes this low in this world or are they just fans of dad jokes? Superman patted me on the shoulder. 

"Get something to eat, we'll talk some more after I'm done with the meeting." 

I nodded and they all turned to leave.

Flash waved at me lazily and I smiled at his antics. I went over to the counter and marveled at the automatic set up of the cafeteria. The league didn't have a live in chef but after biting into the burger, I was ready to pledge my undying loyalty to the one who had made the food. 

My plate cleared out quickly and I finally had some time to think about the message I had gotten. It was time to check the Avatar System. 

"Menu." 

Instantly, a screen appeared in my vision. 

(The Avatar System)

Bending Styles - Wind (UNLOCKED) 

                              Fire ( LOCKED) 

                              Earth ( LOCKED) 

                              Water ( LOCKED)

Perks: Adaptable body.

There was a plus sign on each of the major elements. I pressed on it and for each element a section opened up.

Wind Mastery Level (Beginner) 

 - Locked 

 - Locked

Fire Mastery Level (Locked) 

 - Locked 

 - Locked

Earth Mastery Level (Locked) 

 - Locked 

 - Locked 

 - Locked

Water Mastery Level (Locked) 

 - Locked

 - Locked 

 - Locked

NB: To unlock more bending styles, get the current bending style to Master level. To do that, unlock the Sub - elements of each Element. 

I nodded in understanding. The outline of the whole screen was very straightforward. All I had  to do to get access to fire bending was master wind bending. But what about the Avatar State? How did I achieve it if I didn't have past lives? And what were the conditions to use it.

I would have appreciated some answers but whoever had brought me here had most likely forgotten about me. In the grand scale of things, I doubt powerful beings would watch me as entertainment.

Which meant, I would have to figure most of this out by myself. Oh goodie.

Next I clicked on the Adaptable body perk and a bunch of information appeared.

Adaptable Body:- Your body is susceptible to different exotic stimuli. As a result, it grows to adapt to different things without any drastic change of form.

Ok, that's good. So if I burn myself with fire many times, as long as I heal I'll eventually develop resistance to it? What an overpowered ability. Too bad, I don't have regeneration as a perk. Those two would pair well. Slow exposure would be the way to go then.

The good thing is that I could grow stronger, faster and more durable in the long run as my body adapted to heavy weights. Something else was bugging me… exotic stimuli huh?

My head perked up. It had been long since I'd watched the show but wasn't there a strength serum or two? Venom?  No that's Bane's neo-steroid strength enhancer … Of course, The Blockbuster formula! It came with some adverse physical deformities but adaptable body would get rid of that for me. 

But if I want the very best, I think I should skip on the blockbuster serum. There was an even stronger variant that was a fusion of The Blockbuster formula and venom. It was permanent. 

Luckily it was one of the highlights of the show so I remembered quite a fair bit about it. The other details were fuzzy however. 

So I now have a clear direction I can take. The question remaining is what is the Justice League going to decide to do with me? And do they have Pepsi on this world?

(General P.O.V)

Batman was standing at the lower end of a U-shaped table. On his left side was Superman and on the right sat Captain Marvel. He clicked the remote and a projector placed in the open space between the two columns of the table lit up. A hologram of a young black kid appeared.

"This is the subject of today's matter. His name is Aden Strong. He was on the scene during a fight with Penguin's men and Robin. I won't go into the details of the operation but while I chased after Killer Croc, this happened."

He clicked on the console and the footage from before started playing.

Once it was done. Different expressions appeared on all of them. Most were surprised at the power displayed by the young boy.

"He seems to have control over the 4 basic elements. Wind, fire, earth and water. It's my belief that although he displayed complex manipulation of said elements, he wasn't aware of himself at that moment. I had to use knock out gas in high quantities to take him down, showing that he also has a resilient physique."

Batman continued. "There's one problem however. He doesn't exist in any records or databases. No facial recognition has picked up on his face before. He's a ghost. Normally there would be traces left of a data wipe but nothing this clean."

There was concern etched on the faces of most of the Justice League. 

"What's your take on that Batman?"

Green Arrow spoke up.

Batman grunted and pressed another key on the console, leading to the hologram shifting to an image of a dozen earths side by side.

"I believe that he is from an alternate earth." There was a collective murmur of disbelief. Batman continued on regardless. " Such a theory would need more looking into and input directly from the source."

Superman shook his mind.

"That's a huge leap. Even for you, Batman."

"So more Earth's exist?"

Captain Marvel wondered in excitement.

"Yeah. I've met a few people from alternate dimensions and travelled to others too but still Bats, I agree with Superman, it's a huge leap in logic."

The flash supplied from the side.

"You know, we could just ask him. I doubt we can expect anything but the truth with a telepath and Wonder Woman's Lasso of Truth."

Hal offered a suggestion. It was popular enough that most of the others nodded. Batman acquisced to the majority's view.

"Alright. Moving on, there's the matter of what to do with him. He's responsible for 3 deaths and even more injuries."

The mood turned grim.

"The League has never condoned killing but I think we can rule this as an act of self defense."

Surprisingly, Batman was the one to defend Aden's actions. Superman looked at him, surprised. An expression that was shared by all the rest. 

They knew that Robin had gotten injured, a cracked rib and a dislocated shoulder from an unavoidable hit from a stray rock. Superman looked proud of his closest friend. 

"That's incredibly understanding of you. Usually you're all like...I am Batman."

Flash joked, changing his voice to an intimidating grunt at the end.

There was a few chuckles as Batman stared down at the Flash. Somehow this seemed like a usual occurrence. 

"Moving. On. His abilities seemed to draw themselves out when he was already hurt, evidenced by the blood stains on his clothes. That would suggest that they are something new to him. It's paramount that whatever we decide here, takes into consideration the training of his abilities to avoid outbursts like before."

" I could take him in. Maybe having someone who shares the same roots and culture as a mentor would help him acclimate better to a different world."

John, one of the two green lanterns around said.

Batman nodded.

"That won't work John. It would be appropriate  if it wasn't for your off world duties."

Hal's words to his fellow green lantern made him sigh.

" Themyscyra is out for obvious reasons but so is the rest of the League for other various things. My suggestion is we let Red Tornado oversee his training. His powerset is elemental manipulation and that would go a long way when paired with Tornado's experience."

Green Arrow rounded up to look at the Dark Knight.

"You're suggesting we make him a part of the black ops team in the works?"

"Yes but as a probationary member up until he gains complete control of his abilities or we decide otherwise."

None refuted Batman's words and after discussing more issues regarding league business, the meeting was concluded. 

106