Hellschool – The Raid
179 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The hall was empty, the withered walls covered in stains ranging from blackened shit smeared corners to browning bloodstains that crested the windows. Though through the halls a sound could be heard, slamming and striking the walls with an abhorrent ferocity. The claw-like scratches of rusted metal and the ominous creaking of hinges announcing the arrival of the Umbris as they stood before the chemistry room. The room was fairly large and squat though most of its materials went untouched since many of the chemicals were either too dangerous or the materials were more useful as paperweights. The once gleaming porthole windows if the classroom had darkened covered in what appeared to be cardboard and duct tape, while the door showed no signs of being tampered with.

 

Feeling a chill run the length of her spine Gwen shivered her skin pimpling in goosebumps and her stern complexion draining all of its former colors, ‘what was that’ she wondered. Looking back to the auditorium Gwen held little more than a sad look in her eye ‘I’m sorry max but I can't risk you stopping us’. Trudging onward Gwen watched as her ramshackle of an army came together wearing victors scrap forged armor and wielding weapons made from leftover theater props and the occasional office tool. They looked pathetic compared to the Crylics and the Melior but it would be enough to placate the defenseless rats. Thinking back to Tasha and victors testimony it was clear that the rats were minutely organized by some kid named Daniel but after reviewing his file Gwen was confident in their success. Organizing the armored clan members to the front Gwen began their march towards the molted shell of a classroom.

 

Eying Tasha out the corner of her eye Gwen couldn't help but feel the unease setting in her eyes, it was their first threesome and while it was enjoyable it wasn't the purpose of the encounter. Watching victor saddle up beside her Gwen couldn't help pulling them back while the rest of the troop trudged on  “you're worried about max aren’t you?”

 

Tasha's brow slowly knitted itself together in an unsure contemplation her face depicting in detail a conflict swarming within her mind “I-I'm just not sure we did the right thing, leaving max I mean”

 

“Whys that”

 

“Well… from everything we've learned I feel like some were exaggerated but out of everyone she knows the most about this situation”

 

“She's right” piped in victor “max’s been on this for a while so why wouldn't we bring her with us”

 

“True but from what you told me she was terrified by the end of it and you nearly had to carry her back to the auditorium”

 

The two fell silent their dry gulping throats digesting the truth that Gwen just delivered to them “but with this, we've finally found what max can do in the clan”

 

Confused looks plagued the pair before remembering what Gwen had suggested “so its official after this raid you're going to turn max into a scout” Tasha asked

 

“Well, yes” replied Gwen “as a matter of fact isn't that why we did what we did last night. Max is too reliant on others she needs to break out of her shell if she wants to survive in here especially with the war coming so soon”

 

Silence once again robbed the two of speech as they refused to press the issue any further, leaving their words to be lost amongst the jamboree of crashing scrap metal. Reaching the chemistry room Gwen prepared herself drawing her flattened pipe machetes all the rest of the forces drew their weapons and with a charging cry the troops rushed barreled down the metallic gray doors of the once-proud classroom. Though after entering the room its appearance felt amiss or rather it was so normal that it simply didn't fit. Compared to the other rooms and hallways of the school the lab was fairly the same the ceiling tiles were missing revealing the intricate and inoperable power system above, the windows were shattered as they often seemed to be, and much of the supplies was gone or rather all of it was gone save for a few sets of particular chemicals. Both underwhelmed and slightly relived Gwen watched as her forces spread out through the room passing through the connecting offices leading to the lab stations and such. Saddened by the lack of rats and the new futility in her planning Gwen turned to hear a sigh of relief escape Tasha's lips, with a mutual feeling of ease Gwen was glad that no one had to die today.

 

Writing off the raid as a bust Gwen pushed against the metal doors to leave only to find they were stuck. Each push she gave was met with the resounding desire to not move, though it wasn't until she pulled it that she saw what impeded her. A jumble of metal bars had been placed between the doors handles locking them in but from the small crack in the door Gwen looked up to see a lone boy shadowed by two girls. His dark hoodie stood stark against his pale skin while a hell hound circled his feet with a starved and rabid snarl and in that moment the shiver returned, this time with the force of a cycling blizzard. She felt fear as the boy's face revealed nothing but a white plaster mask with a jagged smile carved into the fabric. Suddenly a scream emerged from one of the chemistry stations followed by the sound of metal clashing against the stark linoleum floor. Pushing away from the doors Gwen ventured to the source of the noise only to see it was coming from both sides. Hordes of rats all wearing masks were pushing through the corridors slicing each member apart like ripe tomatoes letting their juice squirt and pool on the floor.

 

Pushing through the forces at a rapid rate Gwen could do nothing but look on as the rats pierced their skulls with spears, cut open their stomach, and simply walked past like it was nothing continuing their attack. Throwing their weapons some ventured for their phones trying to use their spells to defend themselves only to find a knife in the gut in response leaving the onslaught to be relentless. Getting an idea Gwen shoved a few of the troops aside blocking the door with her body before grabbing a chair. Pinning the door closed Gwen watched as the looks on her troops' face turned from concern to shivering fear as some tried to open the door yet it wasn't long until that too was covered in blood.

 

Rushing to the next door Gwen ignored the words of her friend and that of the rest of the clan since as of now the only thing that mattered was surviving. After locking the doors Gwen grabbed her phone quickly casting righteous dominion before another harrowing endeavor ensued. Thinking back to what max said Gwen resisted the urge to collapse under her now wobbly knees. ‘She was right, they're organized, they've got a leader and there's practically no end to them. They used the offices to limit the number of troops that could be sent and almost seemed to delight in the carnage. This is bad’. Watching as the rats raged against the glass its clear placid plane fracturing under the force, Gwen turned to the main door and began summoning her charge burst. If it was the choice between a trio of high-level players or a horde of homicidal maniacs Gwen would greatly take the lesser of the two evils. Launching the spell Gwen watched as the orange ball of energy flew all of two feet before blading the metal door off its hinges and sending her back along with the sum of her remaining troops. As the dust settled and her troops recovered Gwen and her clan made a break for it running down the hall as the mysterious trio were gone.

 

The plan was a complete failure. The Umbris lost more than they could possibly gain and like a switch all the hope was gone from the party. Crawling back into the oppressive darkness of the auditorium some of the troops expected some speech preaching on bullshit about how they would stand strong but no speech came. Gwen slinking back to her room simply collapsed and cried. Desperate for some sort of solace Gwen was tempted to call out for someone “Tasha...Victor” buts saying their names simply brought the scene all back. The eviscerated skin of her throat that sputtered blood as she spoke and Victor’s organs strung about like a flesh-covered hose. It was all too much. Gwen's stomach turned to force her to heave and wheeze as only the sour taste of stomach acid filled her mouth. There was nothing after this.

5