The Attempt Pt. 1
483 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day was brilliant the sun beat down unto the world with a blinding gaze as not a single cloud dared cross is a joyous sea of blue, the air was warm with a slight chill that seemed to only carry with the wind and yet linger only for but a second. But something was missing. As if fundamentally wrong the day itself felt off. No bated breath graced the morning air, no grass was ruffled by the rush of dark shoes, and the puddle of melted ice remain undisturbed for the longest of times. The dour march of the unattained student body was slow yet thoughtful as it missed it a striking symphony of clamorous speed as Daniel stayed in his room his curtains drawn tightly as if to deny the very existence of time itself. The bed felt warm and safe so nice and comforting that Daniel didn't even feel the urge to move, he simply laid there staring at the wall as he waited for his mind to lull him back into the secure unadulterated pleasures of sleep.

 

It had been a week since Daniel came back to his room and some would wonder he was even there to begin with. The residence was all but silent save for the occasional sound of sobs and a stomach yearning for food. No water ran from the faucet of his bathroom nor from the head of his shower with the only time he ever moved being to shit or piss leaving his fecal matter to sit in the bowl until the very room smelt unwashed and unbearably toxic. Daniel could feel the oil of his skin and weakness in his legs, he knew that he would potentially starve to death if he kept this up but part of him desired such a fate. The idea that he could free himself from the torture of his feelings and the hostility of the world was ever so inviting. He probably knew long ago that he never had any true friends simply clinging to any soul who would give him the time of day causing his mind to reopen the scab that he could help but pick at. “Parasite. Parasite. Parasite. Parasite.” for hours on end that would be the only thing he could truly hear to the point where he couldn't differentiate if he was thinking or speaking anymore.

 

Finally, after two more days of unrelenting stomach pain, Daniel decided to scrounge up some food to eat, easing his way out of his room Daniel affirmed he was alone before shuffling slowly to the kitchen until he saw it. A stack of seven twenty-dollar bills placed haphazardly on the kitchen counter as if each one was placed with little more care than the last, and upon this sight Daniel simply took a sip from the kitchen sink before shutting the door and crawling back into bed. Daniel wanted to reach for his phone, but he remembered it died earlier in the week and he had left his ROW glasses to die as well, staring at the ceiling he watched his fan spin round and round again until a small thought emerged in his mind.

 

Closing his eyes he thought of Jessica her beautiful body, her pillow-soft lips, the ways she looked when she wore her tight-fitting sweaters and began stroking the length of his shaft. He imagined watching her laying before him wearing nothing more than red lace panties as her perky supple breasts held firm as she coaxed him towards her, but he simply couldn't do it. It felt forced like trying to squeeze toothpaste from its tube and all he could focus on was how she tossed away his item as nothing but garbage. His body was warm and uncomfortable the once soft bed had grown muggy and vile, but Daniel still couldn't muster the energy to leave. Trying to go to sleep Daniel found he couldn't lay in an uncomfortable bed as he felt bumps on his face begin to swell with pus and oil day by day.

 

Slowly a thought came to mind it wasn't extraordinary and it didn't even seem too off-putting in fact he thought it might've been the first good idea he had in his life “I deserve to die”. His friends called him a parasite and a quick overview of his life only affirmed that though he saw that his mom was unhappy and too busy to deal with him meaning he was meaningless to her and he was so poor at his job that his boss had to constantly berate him each and every day. With all of that in mind, Daniel realized that the world would truly be a better place with him dead. Leaving his room Daniel pulled down the hatch for the attic climbing up the rickety plywood stairs into the dark dusty crypt of forgotten boxes and seasonal decorations, wandering the dimly lit area Daniel found exactly what he was looking for.

 

The smooth rubber of the extension cord was cold and smooth almost shocking against Daniels warm body but in essence alone it was perfect, and a shot tutorial later Daniel had tied the long dark green cable into a noose. Its foreboding presence simply sitting there as shadows almost danced along the edge of its figure both inviting and frightening at the same time. Setting the noose aside Daniel stared at the blank page before him the tan pale paper almost insulting his lack of assertive diction, laughing at his lack of verbose verbiage, and mocking his sharp loss of words but after staring at the paper for the longest of times he began writing his final letter as tears slowly streamed down his face.

 

Dear mom

By the time you read this ill alrea

I've decided that I

I'm sorry. I'm sorry to have been such a burden on you and brought such pain and misery into your life. I know I'm the reason dad went away, and I know you blame yourself for it when you cry alone at night or when you beg for warren to stay but I just want you to know that you won't have to worry anymore. I'm sorry I've been a disappointment from day one, I ruined your life and the lives of others and now I just can't do it anymore. I don't want to be a burden to anyone else, so I hope that this will be the one right thing I do in life. Mom, I'm sorry.

 

Your loving son Daniel

 

Laying the pen down on the desk Daniel drew his chair just under the fan as he began wrapping the cord around the fan's thick supporting beam, and by the time he was done Daniel simply stared at the noose hesitant for a moment. Was this really what he wanted was this really the only way but soon the voices of his friends echoed in his mind, the sound of his weeping mother crying his father's name in the middle of the night. Slowly Daniel lowered the noose over his head tightening the cord around his neck and with a scared shuttering breath he kicked the chair from under him as he felt the chord close around his neck like a boa constrictor and crush his windpipe. He felt his eyes bulge from his skull while each breath was caught in his mouth, scratching at the chord Daniel could only feel his skin fall away in pieces while his fingernails felt jiggly and loose, soon his vision blurred with a mixture of tears and movement until all he saw were colorful blobs of light while a dull high pitched ringing ran through his ears.

 

Silence permeated the house save for the slow saddled creak of flesh covered fruit hanging from a ceiling fan.

11