Chapter 2 Is This A Secret Agency Or What? Cont. 9
95 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She continues on and I hesitate for a moment before I follow…

After a few minutes of walking down the corridor she comes to a halt in front of dual door. It looks more like a conference room than an office.

"Stay quiet until you're asked to speak."

I stop beside her and she grabs the handle, with a twist and pushes the door in. She enters and I follow in suit.

Right on the money. The big but not absurdly. It's almost empty, slightly dim and with only a few decors. It definitely isn't an office, more like some executive conference room. There is a conference table in the middle of the room. It's a block-shaped of 'U'. Seated is a man—he looks young—in unbuttoned dark blue blazers and wearing a white with thin dark stripped shirt at the far end of the table and on the sides—

Huh!! What the hell am I seeing. Are those hologram?

There are seven individuals on both sides of the table and a couple others standing by, transparent and glowing! All of them in suits. This is so next level shit. James bond doesn't even come close. This is something from a Sci-Fi movie.

The moment we entered they looked to us for a moment before looking to the one at the helm. We stood at the wall beside the door.

"Pretty much the same thing."

"We have no choice. Pushing forward will root the strong. And from there we move on. Isn't that the only choice we have?"

"I agree. We need to see this through, no matter what it may cost."

What are they talking about? Well that's none of my business.

As the spoke it look to Shimura-san and whisper:

"What exactly are those? They look like holograms."

"They are but not like what you know. Now stay quiet."

So what are they exactly? If this stuff indeed is Sci-Fi I wonder what other things they got. I'm starting to get excited!

"That would be all for today. We should delegate on this on a later date, seeing as the branch leader has a visitor."

One of them spoke…

"Agreed."

…and with a unified respond and nods from the others, the holograms dissipate leaving the one at the helm who had his fingers interlocked under his chin and his elbows to the table…

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting…"

The one who definitely is the director made it to us saying does words and grabs my hand for a vigorous shake. Dark glossy laid back hair, a light red tint to his brown eye colour, features like he's in his mid twenties.  He's definitely boisterous yet has charisma and even the air around him says so.

"… You won't believe it we've been at this quite some time now and we couldn't reach any agreement. You must be Nonako Rinji-kun. Nice to meet you."

Still shaking my hand he said. He's definitely someone I can be around.

"Yes. Likewise."

"This is the director—"

Before she could say anything. The man cut in:

"Quit being formal Shimura-san. The name's Shiyouji Kusanagi. The director of this institution. Well not this one in particular but the one—pretty sure Shiruma-san has given you a rundown."

She didn't say much at all. All that I know is they are some secret agency who knows about whatever it was that tried to have me for dinner, which now I know was a woman looking monster—and quite possibly fight them. But with the Sci-Fi thing I just saw it feels like I'm leaving in some mix genre story.

"No. But I have a vague idea."

He places his free hand over my shoulder.

"Good good, so what can I do for you? Right, sorry I don't think that's a question I should ask when I definitely know what you want."

Top priority is getting what I can out of them and if I get the chance to leave I'd take it. I'm not ready to have that 'now that you've heard it or now that you've seen it crap you are not allowed to leave'.

"Well I was hoping you guys could tell me what it was I saw. From what Vi-san told me I'm pretty sure I've got everything down."

Well that's true. Just by acknowledging what I saw wasn't an illusion or something it was pretty easy to get everything together. But I'm also a bit worried. I have no clue about their agenda on them doing so. This looks like state secret stuff and they are telling an ordinary civilian. There's definitely an ulterior motive… I'm probably just thinking to deep into it because of those movies and stories.

"Vi-san? You're already that close I see. Good good. I've love to chat with you here but shall we move to the next room."

"I doubt we're close but I kinda like her name." I turn in haste and give a quick bow to Shimura-san "I'm really sorry it just slipped out of my tongue. I didn't mean to be rude. Shimura-san"

Not only her name that's for sure. Even now I'm speaking I'm trying so hard to peek at her package. I can't have her catch on though.

[Tell me I'm not drooling.]

"…" I just feel her stare.

"Yea I get ya. I love her name too. I like you kid. You and I are going to hit it off for sure. So shall we?" I turn back to him.

He lets go of my hand gesturing it to the door and we leave the room.

...

"Say Rinji-kun. Can I call you Rinji-kun. So Rinji-kun considering what you already know. What's your take on magic?"

We are currently walking in the corridor towards the far end of the mansion on the opposite side from where the conference room was.  Shimura-san is walking be me a couple of steps behind.

My take on magic? Mmm… To be honest I never really believed in magic as a real thing. I mostly thought of it as just a trope for those fantasy anime and movies. I may have been skeptical about it but I did wish it was true and that I could use it. I looked at myself like some all powerful mage when I was watching. That said, with all those things going around on the Internet and those conspiracies out there, there was a part of me that wanted believe it was real but now…

"Considering the existence of otherworldly beings it would be hard to deny the existence of magic."

"You kind of smart than you let on."

Shimura-san analyzed. And the director nodded with vigor.

"I'm not sure. For some reason after my near breakdown at home when I left home I suddenly became rational… well it's not that, my mind just feels a lot clear, so I guess even if I'm slow on the uptake I can still process the simple things."

Yea, that's about it. I was pretty dense to things like this. I hardly understood anything. Average grades and all. But for some reason everything had been sinking in and that is even scaring me. Although I'm pretty sure everything is just happening in the heat of the moment, I'm sure I'll be myself at any moment.

"That's good! It's good to be rational. You're always in the calm…"

He goes quiet for a few seconds. He asked me a question and suddenly he's quiet. What gives?

"About magic?"

"Oh, right sorry. Zoned out for a bit there. Yea magic exists."

Yea, what is it with these people dropping bombs like that so casually? I mean it's a giving he'd say that, since he asked about it, but why tell. I have no likes with them. Is it just me or this feels like a sales pitch. Oddly though I'm real excited.

"Magic truly exists, among other things, and it's all around us. You see humans aren't genetically, physically or whatnot capable of using magic so it's abundant here on earth. Totally awesome don't you think? That magic exists. But we do know there are cases, certain types of people that have the ability to perceive it."

He said with a dash of charisma.

Well duh! It's in every fantasy film, anime, manga and light novels.

"Mages."

"Yes right. You get a hundred points for that."

"It basic knowledge that's for sure, but I have to ask why are you telling me this?"

Seriously? Why is It's definitely a sale's pitch or something along that lines.

"Good question. Aaand we're here."

He halts in front of a door similar to the conference room's.

"You pretty much got the whole concept down since you probably watch anime and movies and the likes like any other normal person in this world so you totally be able to guess what is behind this wall."

I can't say I know anything about magic but if it's real then I guess I can say the theatrical works and books do try their best to carry the concept across.

I turn to the door. There is an ominous feeling behind it. Question. When did I start feeling things like this? Anyways, I don't think it's one that has any intent to kill so I think it's safe.

"So why, you ask. I guess the answer is to prepare you, but I guess that isn't really needed since you catch the drift. People hardly believe of this and pretty much take a lot of time to convince them. So yea go on. Open it."

1