Chapter 4: Class
152 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even as I ask the question I feel the system that Ghriza had installed within me prepare an answer. I see a symbol for a textbook appear at one of the bottom corners of my field of view and instinctively know that if I tap on it I’ll see a handy mental dictionary precisely for moments like this. Ghriza begins to speak after chuckling at my question.

“In many universes that exist out in the omniverse, a ‘Class’ is a method created by some governing force to collect and organize abilities that can be bestowed upon people who devote themselves to some kind of identity. In universes where classes exist a class is an identity that people can have that gives them a roadmap and various kinds of powers.” She tells me, even as my mind’s eye fills with various examples of classes. 

My thoughts are momentarily hijacked and I can see “Rogues”, acrobatic rogues and smooth-talking criminals, “Warlocks”, powerful magic-users whose magic is given to them by titanically powerful entities who need agents, and “Paladins”, heavily-armored warriors who devote themselves to codes of ethics and use magic and might at the same time. I watch each of the three classes in action in my mind as if I were envisioning some strange game I might have once played with my older brother. 

I know, instinctually, that there are more classes in existence than the three I see at the moment. Many more. I do not know the exact number, but I know a few examples of other classes, and just that information is enough to cause my eyes to widen. Ghriza notices this and smirks at me.

“Yeah, I know for you that this must be a lot. Nevertheless, your decision regarding your initial class is something quite important. You have three to pick from, though you’ll be unlocking more in the days to come. The three you have to pick from are ‘Rogue’, ‘Fighter’, and ‘Barbarian’.” She tells me, all while looking at me curiously. 

“I can read your mind and I am tethered to your system so I know you know what a rogue is. ‘Fighters’ are the best overall warriors, at least generally speaking, with skills that focus on defeating enemies with weapons and technique rather than magic, overwhelming them, or singular, massive strikes.” She tells me even as I picture all sorts of warriors unlike any I’ve ever seen. 

I imagine massive humanoids in giant armor wielding swords longer than people. I picture barely clad warriors wielding sharp axes. I envision non-humans riding tiger-like creatures and holding spears. 

“On the other hand, ‘Barbarians’ are dangerous warriors who wield powerful arms and fly into a rage in battle. They grow stronger due to the emotion they feel and gain the power to cleave through enemies with singular strikes. They even grow hardier, their rage allowing them to absorb blows and suffer less harm from them!” She tells me, causing me to blink and pause. 

“They… are so mad that the damage they take is reduced? How does that work?” I ask, legitimately curiously. She chuckles and shrugs at me. 

“I don’t know, but it is reliable. The ‘Rage’ class feature of a barbarian is pretty beefy and it covers an immense array of damage one might suffer. While it doesn’t offer protection from most magical spells it covers even damage caused by magically enchanted weapons, which normally ignore damage resistance! Heck, even the damage caused by a handful of spells can be resisted.” She tells me, causing the dictionary symbol to light up brilliantly with new words. 

“All of that aside… You have three classes and you need to pick one to be your first active class. You have a very powerful system that will grant you a number of class-related buffs but you’ve still got to pick a class before you can receive your buffs.” She says, all while watching me curiously. 

So the three choices before me are fighter, barbarian, and rogue… But at the same time, I can freely switch my active class without any real penalty. My actions after that will depend on a few factors, but for now I just need to commit to a single class. 

There are benefits to each of the classes. As I mentally consider each of the classes I see a small textbox that details each class and reveals what I’d gain by becoming a level one member of that class. 

[Class name: Fighter

Class description: Skilled warriors who strive to master each weapon and piece of armor. They are quick, powerful warriors who manage to go toe-to-toe with magic users and even slay them regularly. 

Level one features: 

‘Fighting Style’; pick one specialty as far as fighting goes and experience a buff related to it. Possible options include becoming a better archer, not needing sight to clash with enemies close to you, and even protecting allies. 

‘Second Wind’; gain a secondary inner wellspring of stamina that you can use a few times a day to heal yourself for a small amount.

Class skills; Pick two from the following list.

Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, and Survival.]

A textbox for each class appears in my field of view as I mentally “click” on the class. Some entries in the boxes are more complex than others, with the two biggest ones being the ones for “Fighting Style” and “Rage”. Each class also had a list of skills I could buff when I selected the class. That section was complicated but handy. 

As soon as I finished scanning the text boxes I make my choice. There is only one class that can self-heal on this list and it is the ‘Fighter’ class. I select it and I feel a wave of energy surge into me as if I were drinking coffee or something. Energy infuses each of my limbs and I chuckle as I begin to get prompts to make decisions related to my class such as selecting my class skills and my fighting style. 

I have the full lists for each of the classes and so I know I need to pick two skills that are only available to fighters or are at least not available to all three classes. History is one such ability, though it is the only skill that is unique to fighters. I select it and I feel my ability to both recall and learn historical facts sharpen. I also select acrobatics as my other option, and I feel my level of grace increasing.

As far as my fighting style goes I quickly select the “Unarmed Fighting” fighting style. I never want the fact that I am unarmed to hurt me, and I know that my body is my ultimate weapon. And there is also an incredible bonus to my ability to grapple someone in the form of me passively hurting those I have grappled which is a fantastic ability. 

“Fighter huh? I can understand that since you’re just weeks away from a death game. Anyways… I can feel my hold on this weaker reality actively slipping.” She tells me, as she begins to turn translucent before my very eyes. I am once again forced to my knees by a powerful wave of dizziness and nausea and I hear her sigh apologetically. 

“Sorry about that. Your tether to your warehouse is weak because your native reality lacks the means to support supernatural beings on its own. That keeps you from being able to fully use this place to its maximum potential, for now. That’s why I’m limiting the supernatural perks and supernatural aspects of perks you can use. You need time to acclimate to the supernatural before you can use it properly.” She tells me, a soft frown on her lips as she kneels beside me. 

"When you return it will be tomorrow and no one in your family will remember me. Nevertheless, this is real. You need to become the tribute for your district and win the next Hunger Games. However you do that is up to you, but if you use your perks you will slowly gain resistance to the supernatural and become... narratively 'Heavier', being better able to handle the supernatural and thus gaining more control over your powers. Once you have enough resistance you may be able to use some of the supernatural perks you possess before the games!" She excitedly says, even as I feel the world around me beginning to blur.

I can sense my connection to this place fading. I feel the solidity of the floor at my feet shifting and softening even as the brown floor begins to turn into soft white sheets. In front of me, Ghriza fades entirely from view while whispering a soft farewell to me. 

Over the course of the next few seconds, I am forced to continue to look at the shifting floor. When I feel the dizziness that had overcome me fade away I find myself in my room. The sun is creeping out over the horizon, and I can feel my enhanced senses alerting me to all sorts of stimuli in every direction around me. 

I am on my knees in the middle of my bed and I decide to stay still for a second. Sunlight creeps through a glass window to my left and I can feel it on my skin, warming me up. 

While I am here before I begin to get ready to tackle my first full day as a “Jumper” I silently switch my class. Doing this is as easy as wanting it to occur and when it does I get to make more skill-based choices. As a barbarian, I select survival and nature as my skills, and I feel the quiet benefits of “Unarmed Defense” increase my ambient toughness. 

The final class I can select is “Rogue” and I pick it quite happily. This is the first class with a level 1 ability that alters my mind, and I feel both “Expertise” and “Thieves’ Cant” expanding my mind all while I select the whopping four skills available to rogues at level one. I select persuasion, deception, investigation, and stealth. 

These are not the only skills I need, but they constitute some of the ones that could be the most vital in the days to come. Each of them substantially increases my survivability and I plan to hone them further in the days to come. 

I distantly hear quiet sounds as I lay in my bed. I study my surroundings and allow myself a chance to adjust to my enhanced senses. The world around me is far more brilliant than it once was. School certainly promises to be quite interesting with my beyond-peak-human mind and beyond-peak-human body, and as I process countless sources of sensory stimuli I begin to smirk. 

“One month until the 74th Hunger Games…” I mutter, a dangerous smirk on my face as I realize that that means that I have twenty-four days until the reaping. Three full weeks, and some change, to prepare for the reaping. I have never been so eager to go to school. 

I get off my bed and make my way to my closet so that I can grab some clothes. As I do I pass by a tall mirror and I get to see myself for the first time since my limited apotheosis. What I see is a pleasant surprise; my idealized self, a body that I find perfect to both look at and exist in. I smirk at the reflection and begin to study it in detail.

6