Chapter 71 : Dawn of a new era (My love life is a lie?)
2.4k 26 147
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Heya, a new chapter!

Where we unveil a dastardly plot!

Happy reading,

With love, Sh'.

PS: In the light of the previous chapter, I felt like I needed to point out a few things regarding Iris' behavior with the mutants.
In case it wasn't already crystal clear, she firmly divides people into two categories : those who make Aria happy and the others.
Iris, in her own mind, can't be arsed to give a frick about the latter because it bore her with a passion, so, she doesn't really pull any punch with those and would probably kill them in a heartbeat if they threatened her host too much.
A host is, ultimately, everything to its Klyntar, even more so for Iris due to how she has been raised.

 

Chapter 71 : Dawn of a new era (My love life is a lie?)

 

Unspecified location, unspecified time, the Astral Plane

 

With barely the sounds of wings flapping, a bird of flame, a raptor of life descends.

 

As soon as I catch it, my eyes dart back toward Gwen.

 

I gesture non-subtlety to her, with the help of a very emphatic nod that yes, this is the real deal and she has to be real serious now.

 

When I drop into a wordless curtsy, I watch her in the corner of my eyes fumbling for a bit before mirroring me.

 

Good. Diplomatic accident with a Cosmic Force avoided.

 

I feel it more than I can see it when the Phoenix releases His tight hold on His power.

 

It is smothering, heavy and hot. Like being suddenly submerged in lava alive without instantly burning to a crisp.

 

Like a few months ago, I start sweating when I shouldn’t be able to.

 

The worst thing? It’s all an act to draw Jean’s attention toward Him.

 

What a vain creature.

 

-JEAN, AT LAST WE MET.- He says, His voice full of emotions and longing.

 

Jean, of course, does not answer immediately since she’s busy gapping like a dead fish.

 

It takes a few seconds for the redhead to get a hold on herself.

 

“Are you Him?” She asks hesitantly.

 

Duh.

 

-INDEED.- He caws what sounds suspiciously like a laugh if a bird was able too, -I’VE WAITED SO LONG.-

 

Jean’s mouth closes as she looks lost in thought for a second.

 

“I’m sorry,” She admits, a little flummoxed, “I don’t really know what to say.”

 

-IT IS ALRIGHT, CHICK.- The Phoenix answers easily, tilting his head, -I SEE YOU DIDN’T COME ALONE.-

 

“Should I’ve not?” Jean answers, a little panicked.

 

Another cawing laugh resounds.

 

-SINCE I MADE IT HAPPENS, I WOULD BE REMISS TO BLAME YOU FOR IT.- He admits shamelessly.

 

My mind goes blank.

 

Everybody suddenly wanting a day off.



Gwen and I going on a shopping trip, totally-not-a-date.

 

Us meeting the mutants there despite the fact that they live at least one hour afar.

 

Oh, come on!

 

-ALWAYS QUICK TO CATCH ON, ARIA THE OUTSIDER.- He comments offhandedly with a tone dripping smugness.

 

I grumble a bit as I rise myself in a standing position, hands clasped respectfully before me.

 

“Well met, oh Phoenix.” I say demurely.

 

The smoldering orbs that pass as his eyes, shining as brightly as two suns, stare me down politely.

 

-YOU’VE GROWN.- He declares, sizing me up, -I CAN FEEL IT. SO MUCH DEDICATION, SO MANY EFFORTS IN SO LITTLE TIME.-

 

He tilts His head a bit clockwise, His eyes narrowing as the heat doubles.

 

-OR MAYBE IT HAS BEEN YEARS, I’M NOT SURE.- He comments.

 

“It has been a little over a season on Earth since the last time we spoke, oh Phoenix.” I helpfully point out.

 

-I SHOULD TAKE YOUR WORDS FOR IT, TIME IS A CONFUSING THING FOR US.- He admits shamelessly, -BUT YES, I DID ENGINEER THE TWO OF YOU MEETING.-

 

His eyes roam over the two other extras.

 

-I DID NOT FORESEE THOSE TWO COMING THOUGH.- The bird of fire says, -WHO ARE THEY?-

 

Thankfully, Gwen takes her cues.

 

“A pleasure to meet you, oh Phoenix,” The blond in a white dress starts and I would’ve applauded her polite tone if I could, “My name is Gwendolyn Stacy, and I’m a companion of Aria.”

 

Short, to the point, perfect.

 

The raptor of life’s eyes narrows a bit as He seizes her up.

 

-INTRIGUING.- He comments, -A CHILD OF FATE.-

 

He tilts His head counterclockwise, His eyes locked on her as He does.

 

-ONE OF ANANSI’S BROOD, I TAKE IT?- He asks.

 

“So the Sorceress Supreme and Aria say, oh Phoenix.” She answers truthfully.

 

The Phoenix caws a laugh.

 

-YOUR KIND ALWAYS ENDS UP IN THE MOST INTERESTING SITUATIONS.- He says with mirth.

 

“So I’ve been told, oh Phoenix.” Gwen retorts with a little quirk of her lips.

 

I have to give it to her, she handles the situation with a lot more spunk than I do.

 

-AND WHAT OF THE LAST ONE?- He asks curiously, tilting His head clockwise once more as His eyes lock on Scott's frozen form.

 

“That’s…” Jean starts, hesitation clearly written on her face as she steps forward, “That would be Scott, someone I care a lot about. He insisted on coming with me.”

 

The Phoenix narrows his eyes a bit.

 

-WHY IS HIS ASTRAL BODY LOCKED LIKE THIS?- The bird of fire asks.

 

“Pro… Aria did it.” Jean says, her eyes darting to me as her arms fold on her torso, “She said that he was probably under some suggestions and didn’t want to take any risks.”

 

She closes her eyes as she exhales.

 

“She said that I was probably under some too.” She admits while making a face.

 

The Phoenix’s eyes narrow even further, barely indistinguishable from slits at this point.



-... IT APPEARS THAT THE LITTLE OUTSIDER IS RIGHT.- He declares as He turns His attention back to me.

 

-I TRUST THAT IT IS NOT YOUR WORK.- He comments and His tone is suddenly very, very ominous.

 

“I do enjoy my life too much for an endeavor that foolish, oh Phoenix.” I answer him easily, “Though I’ll admit to have weaved a light compulsion on Jean and Scott’s minds not to speak about Gwendolyn or me without our consent. I’m not opposed to helping Jean but I would like for our privacy to rest assured.”

 

The raptor of life stares at me for a bit.

 

Beads of sweat pearl across my spine as the heat rises once more.

 

Mercifully, it drops as soon as it comes.

 

-ACCEPTABLE.- The Phoenix admit, albeit reluctantly, -DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT THE CULPRIT, LITTLE OUTSIDER?-

 

Of course He would ask me.

 

“Only a hypothesis, based on knowledge that you’ve seen through my mind, oh Phoenix.” I explain, “But I wouldn’t pretend to be certain.”

 

He straightens His head.

 

It takes Him a bit but He soon comes to the same conclusion that I have.

 

-HIM.- He spits.

 

Yeah, my reaction very much.

 

“It looks like his handiwork, oh Phoenix.” I confirm easily.

 

As if my words had poured oil on a fire, the heat smothering us rises to explosive height as flames start to lick the Phoenix’s Astral body.

 

-HE WOULD DARE?- The Phoenix growls, a sound like rocks grinding together as His beak tightens painfully.

 

In the corner of my eyes, I see Gwen’s eyes widen at the display, suddenly realizing that, yes, the bird of fire is not to be trifled with.

 

“If I may, oh Phoenix,” I start, with a lot more courage than I feel, “I may have an idea as to how to resolve that situation.”

 

-ELABORATE.- He clips.

 

I promptly comply.

 

“Would you be able to track his mental presence in the mortal realm, oh Phoenix?” I ask, a little smile blossoming on my lips.



That makes the raptor of life pauses.

 

-I CAN.- He answers after a beat, clearly puzzled.

 

“The thing is, he is quite slippery, oh Phoenix.” I explain, “To kill him, you must destroy his mind, or he will survive. But what if you pulled him here instead before doing the deed?”

 

This time, my smile is absolutely manic at the idea.

 

Because if it works…

 

-INTERESTING, LITTLE OUTSIDER.- He admits and I swear His beak is now crooked in a smile, -I SHALL DO SO.-

 

“If I may,” I interrupt Him before He starts, “I’d be forever grateful if you could let me absorb his knowledge before you destroy him, oh Phoenix. It would save me years of research.”

 

The Phoenix stares at me for a beat before cawing another laugh.



-YOU HAVE THE MOST INTERESTING IDEAS, LITTLE OUTSIDER.- He compliments me.

 

I drop in a curtsy once more.

 

“I aim to please, oh Phoenix.” I answer demurely once more, even when I smile with all my teeth.

 

That’s when the miracle starts to happen.

 

I feel it in my flesh, in my bones, on my skin, even when it shouldn’t be possible.

 

The air is suddenly so heavy, so thick with barely restrained power, that it becomes even hard for me to think.

 

The Phoenix, whose wings have spread far apart as His flames burn brighter, suddenly flaps His fiery appendages forward.



I feel an irresistible pull that almost brings me to my knees.



The next thing I know, another Astral body snaps into existence in front of us.

 

The stranger is a tall, broad shouldered man, with a very pale skin and an unmistakable red diamond shape on his forehead under short cropped black hair.

 

“Wha…” He starts to say.

 

Another flap of the Phoenix’s wings and he is isolated in his own dodecahedron.

 

A third flap and his own tether is irremediably severed.



I watch his expression morph into one of absolute horror and he soon starts to bang on the transparent frame of his Astral prison.

 

I won’t pretend otherwise because it would be unbecoming but I am absolutely delighted.

 

Nathaniel Essex, Mr. Sinister, defeated by the Phoenix in less than a handful of seconds because he messed with His avatar.

 

“Who…” Jean starts, her expression going from bewildered to pensive after a few seconds, “Who is this? I feel like I’ve seen him somewhere.”

 

I rise myself once more, Gwen doing so too after a rather undignified fall during the Phoenix’s earlier display, not having nearly as much mental discipline to weather it with as much grace as two telepaths.

 

“That would be because you did, after a fashion.” I answer the redhead’s query under the watchful gaze of her Patron, “Possibly one of his clones, when he came nearby to implant those suggestions in your mind.”

 

“You said that earlier, but what suggestions?” She asks, looking at the Phoenix’s prisoner while barely repressing a shiver.

 

“I’m not skilled enough to know for sure but if I had to hazard a guess,” I start to explain while growing a bit pensive, “For you, it was probably to make sure you remained a bit meak, that you don’t grow confident too much and that you’ll look after someone who would be able to comfort you and be your knight in shining armor.”

 

My eyes slide toward Scott as Jean’s face distorts in naked horror.

 

“For him, he was probably molded into the perfect cis straight male there is, confident and always honest with a weak spot for girls who needs to be ‘carefully handled’, a firm believer in the ‘traditional values’ so he doesn’t hesitates to steer you in the right path if you eventually started to get interested into another gender, that kind of bulshit.” I carry on clinically.

 

Which probably explains why he has been a right arse with me as soon as he understood that I deliberately changed my own gender.

 

“In short, Mr. Sinister here, that’s the name of the white skinned prick,” I tell her while gesturing to the guy going barmy in his dodecahedron, “Engineered your love story.”

 

If she was horrified before, now it’s even worse.

 

“My love life is a lie?” She cries desperately.

 

I wince a little.

 

“I wouldn’t be able to judge, Jean.” I explain to her softly, “I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news here but you won’t know for sure until the suggestions are removed.”

 

That’s apparently the cues that the Phoenix needed to flap his wings once more, dispelling the murkiness that remained in Jean and Scott’s head.

 

If Scott, still frozen, doesn’t react in the slightest, Jean, her, promptly starts to cry.



One of my hands starts to rub one of my temples while Gwen looks at me with a worried expression, the Phoenix remaining blessedly silent for the moment.



As if this day could get even worse.

I originally didn't even plan to bring Essex in the story, believe or not, but he was just ultimately so useful not to do so for multiple reasons that will get elaborated upon in the next chapters.

Not enough to send Jean and Aria into a wild goose chase to put him down though, hence the Phoenix ex machina I pulled there. Because, frankly, writing about them running after a body-hoper for ages would bore me to death and back.


147