Chapter 7
172 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam petted the snake he had created. Constantine had brought him an already dead Black Mamba. The snake, just like the dung beetles in the beginning, was docile. But Adam knew that this could change if he switched the mob's status to violent.

His worm, Wormikus, was making quite the progress with his digging. Or, was it her digging? Did the worm even have a gender? Adam had no idea. But he was sure that Wormikus was happy making tunnels in the ground and spreading the dung that Adam had hoed in.

Now, the only thing Adam needed was for Wormikus to breed. His brood would have the same level of intelligence as him, even if the mother or father of the babies was a normal worm. Wait? Didn't worms breed with themselves? Adam was confused.

Anyway, the snake needed a name. He could call her Ebony, but that was too easy. Maybe he could call her Onyx? She did look like a precious stone, her scales, much smaller than Adam's, glittered in the faint light of the cave,

"Your name is Onyx," said Adam, and the snake nodded. "Go eat, hm, now what was the mushroom for better poison?"

Adam had a death cap that Constantine used in poisons. What had Constantine told him about the mushroom? Something about kidney failure and vomiting and coma after six hours. Yes, that would be perfect for Onyx.

"Go and eat the death caps. They are like normal white caps, but they have thinner stalk and cap. Just go down this corridor," Adam pointed at the exit of the pool cavern. "And turn left."

Onyx slithered out and Adam grinned. His first truly violent mob was going to become even more dangerous.

Adam stared up at the ceiling. It was bare, not even the glow caps grew on it. That was a loss of space. He wanted some poison ivy to grow on the ceiling. But, he didn't have any poison ivy. Constantine brought him herbs, exclusively, and didn't like bringing him poisonous plants.

But, what Constantine didn't notice until the deed was already done couldn't hurt him. Adam whistled, and the dung beetle came from his nook.

"Hey, buddy. I have a job for you,"  the beetle jumped and placed a leg on Adam's tail. "You know what poison ivy is, right?"

The beetle made the shape of a poison ivy leaf on the ground, and Adam nodded. His buddy was brilliant. 

"Yes, that. I need you to bring me the stem of one of them. Make sure it is double your size. The ivy grows by the trees outside. Happy adventuring," the beetle made its way to the entrance of the cavern, but turned back at the last second.

"Hm, I suppose you want a reward?" Adam became thoughtful. He didn't have any more fertilizer. What could he give the beetle? "How about this - next market day, I will send Tine to get you another bag of fertilizer, and you will get to keep two balls?"  

The beetle jumped three times and Adam chuckled.

"Ok, three balls. Happy?" The beetle turned around and walked out. With nothing better to do, Adam went and undressed and submerged himself in the pool. The pleasantly hot water worked out the kinks in his back, a product of him weeding the basil patch.  He stretched his tail as far as it would go and closed his eyes.

He heard rustling soon after, and he turned to look who it was.  There was an unknown man in his dungeon. With brown hair and eyes, who was looking between Adam's clothes and Adam. Adam waved lazily. Surely, if the man wanted to kill him, he wouldn't be hesitating now.

"Um, I heard there was a dungeon here," spoke the man. Adam sighed. So, this was an adventurer?

"Let me guess, you are here for the treasure chest?" The man nodded slowly. "How did you come in here?"

Surely, Constantine had fixed the barrier. And, if not, then Adam was in trouble.

"A necromancer let me in. Told me that I will find a treasure here," Adam raised an eyebrow. Now, why would Constantine let in some random adventurer inside?

"No treasure here, just me and the herbs," Adam got out of the pool and took a towel to dry. He did so quickly and he pulled on his clothes. The man was staring at him with wonder as Adam fixed his robs around himself. Adam placed the neck warmer around his neck and turned to look at the man.

"I..." the man was stunned. He was looking at the silk golden bow around Adam's middle, then at his naked chest, and then to his neck warmer.

"You?" Asked Adam. He could guess what this was. Constantine wanted to get Adam's mind off of himself. So, he had offered Adam a new crush. But, what Constantine didn't know was, that, for Adam, Constantine was more than a simple crush.

"Are you busy?" Asked the man, blushing.

"Very," replied Adam dryly. "And you are trespassing. I am the dungeon core of this dungeon. And you were not invited by me."

"I can protect you. I am an SSS rank adventurer," stammered the man. "The name is Nathaniel and..."

Adam held up a hand. He was not interested in anyone but Constantine.

"I don't offer contracts, currently. Help yourself to the herbs. Stay away from my snake. Have a nice day," Adam slithered pass Nathaniel and went to check up on Onyx. What should he evolve next? Maybe a bee? It had to be a Queen, the workers didn't breed, they were sterile. And there was no guarantee he would get mobs out of a male bee.

Had he looked back, Adam would have seen the determined look on Nathaniel's face. The man stared at the pool, transfixed. Then he shrugged, undressed and got inside. If this dungeon core thought that he could bewitch him and then hang him dry, then he had another thing coming. 

5