Chapter 4 – A Town Called Geilun
164 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Making our way into a large hallway, she leads us to the furthest room with a large bathtub at the back as well as several buckets of water presumably used to wash off any dirt before entering. 

"You guys get cleaned up first then we'll have a chat okay?" A far calmer and caring tone than used previously by the brown haired lady.

My mom thanked her as we cleaned ourselves up and god did we need it! I felt like a fresh cat again, even Koko seemed to perk up slightly once the smell of blood was taken away. Whilst we were drying Koko spoke up, "W-what are we going to do now? My parents were both killed, Luckys gone, the whole village is gone what-" My mom interupted her with a strong embrace, however unlike with me she took care to not suffocate Koko. 

"It's okay Koko, you don't need to work it all out now, just breathe. We'll figure this out together, all three of us, we still have each other." Mom whispered out in her strongest motherly tone, to be honest I'm impressed how well she's holding up after dad- well yeah.

"Lets just get dried up and work out with our terrifying benefactor what to do next okay?" I declared, trying to help calm Koko.

After we had cleaned up, putting on a spare pair of clothing the lady prepared for us which fit surprisingly well. Leaving the bathroom we entered what seems to be a dining room of sorts where she was waiting for us.

"Hey, so I spoke to Zar whilst you guys were cleaning up and I got the jist of whats going on. I'm sorry that happened to you guys." She spoke with a kind tone, a one eighty from when we first met her. "I forgot to say but I'm Ayla! Like Zar said I'll definitely help so you don't worry! You can help out around here for a few days and I'll give you a place to stay and food to eat alright? But not today! Today you all need some good rest and tomorrow we can talk about what you can do going forward." 

Thanking Ayla for her kindness we were given a room with an oversized bed, big enough to fit all three of us. That night as the sun set, we all curled up on the bed into a small pile. Finally truly safe we broke down in tears, comforting eachother with cuddles and the silent confirmation that we can make it through together. I'd always been close to Koko but now it felt like we were actually sisters, and mom really made us feel like a family. We had to look out for eachother from now on, no matter what.

After the well needed pity party, we decided to get some rest and move on tomorrow with fresh minds. 

...

Badum~

...

Badum~

...

That thumping wardrum played out once more, this time I found myself running through the jungle in my feline form, I wasn't as elegant as the figure I'd seen before, but I was just as fierce. I felt free, my legs carried me as fast as they could muster, like all my inhibitions had been thrown out the window, small gatherings of light appeared around me. They felt... warm? Kind, as if they were there to soothe me. Graduly coming to halt, standing over a cliff overlooking a rapid flowing lake. Raising my head to the sky, as if by instinct, I let out a mighty roar that sent the birds over the trees flying. 

 

                                                                                                               ***

 

Suddenly my eyes shot open, heart still beating ferociously, short quick breaths escaping me. A brief moment passed before I could calm down. Coming to my senses I noticed the turmoil either side of me. My mother had stolen my arm and snuggled around it like a lemur on a branch completely submurging it in her overbearing mountains. On the other side Koko was nibbling on my shoulder clearly dreaming about food, mumbling something like 'so sweet~' leaving a layer of dribble behind. After yesterday I still wasn't particularly well rested, so I resigned myself to this fate and became both a snuggle pet and a chew toy.

Some time later the duo woke with Koko full on blushing after realising just what she'd done and my mom taking the opposite route of crushing me under her breasts. Usually I'd retort to this but after all we've been through, it doesn't hurt to spoil her a little. Getting ready for the day ahead, we started making our way downstairs to greetings from a bright and cheery Ayla, "Well I wondered when yall were gonna get up, come on we've got a long day ahead of us!" she chirped out, I however could only groan at the thought of having to move this aching body around all day.

We spent the morning helping out around the tavern, mostly as waitresses or laborers moving crates around, this place is deceptively larger than it already looked. After lunch that Koko ravaged, Ayla ushers us to the market buying essentials, with the excuse that this is part of the payment for our work. That was a completely unfair trade in our favour but her kindness was really appreciated, turns out Ayla is a really great person, if not a little on the crazy side. Ayla brings us to a park and asks what we're going to do from now on, mom brings forward the idea that we become adventurers, making money that way although she wasn't happy with placing me and Koko in harms way. Strangely enough, Koko was the one to speak up, "Seyu!" She awkwardly shouted, realising this was the first time using her actual name instead of 'Ava's mom'. 'Seyu' wanted Koko to call her mom, but with everything else, it was too much for Koko."You can't protect us forever, we have to become stronger together, that way we can protect each other!" 

Mom could only sigh and Ayla broke out in a wide grin saying she'd cover the registration cost and we can just pay her back later. I won't say mom was happy about it but she did relent. Heading home, having decided to pay a visit to the guild tomorrow, we took note of just how many adventurers were walking around. Apparently this town was great for all levels of adventurers, being on the forefront of a sprawling dangerous forest.

Arriving at the B&B, Ayla ran off to prepare for the evening rush while the three of us returned to our room to stash todays haul of goodies. Now that we had some time to ourselves an air of tension permeated the room, Mom and Koko stood in the corner of the room whispering to eachother. I narrowed my eyes upon seeing this suspicious act, only to be thrown into disarray from Koko pumping out her chest and pointing her finger at me in an accusatorial manner.

"Ava! W-what ha-happened to you! In the jungle! Wheeenn you went wild?!" Koko trembled as she haphazrdly spat her words out.

Guh- I had hoped to skip this conversation for a while, I had no fucking clue myself but I guess this is unavoidable.

"Please believe me! I really have no idea!!" I shrieked holding my hands on top of my head, "The last thing I remember was my heart beating like a wardrum for everything to suddenly go black." I sobbed out, already feeling defeated before the interrogation had even likely begun. Luckily it seems Koko's incredibly kind nature saved me, she rushed over to wrap me in a warm embrace and soothe my aching heart, Koko really is the best~

"But uhm- This isn't the first time I've felt this, the night before I had a dream with the exact same feeling, like I was running free in the wilds completely untethered from, well anything." I sighed, trying my best to find the words to describe these both foreign and familiar feelings I had. Mom looked at me with complex emotions plastered across her face, as if there was something she wanted to say but didn't know the words herself. Shaking her head she came and joined the cuddle and pat both our heads, I will never admit this but the pats felt nice, we're adults now you know.

10