Chapter 5 – The Hare
168 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yawwwnnn~

Apparently it's going to become an everyday occurance, waking up to a dog pile of limbs over me. Koko neatly latching onto my side drooling on my shoulder again and mom just sprawled out on top of me, how bad can your sleeping habits be mom? I feel sorry for father, the sudden thought sends my mood into a downwards spiral. Luckily Koko's morning greeting pulls me out the funk, her soft sweet smile accompanied by the most adorable stretch I've ever seen is like a cure-all to me. Mom soon follows, squeezing the life out of me before tidying herself up ready for the day ahead.

Dressing ourselves my mind wanders to my father again, the village and Lucky. I clench my hand into a fist, squeezing tightly, 'fuck, something has to be done'. I face the others and hardening my resolve, "Mom! Koko! We... I want to find out who those men were that attacked our village, that... Killed everyone." Before I could continue mom spoke out,

"It's not just you Ava, your father, I want justice for him too- No honestly I want revenge but... We'll find out who did this to us, together and safely okay?" her voice was trembling, the pain in her eyes was excruciating but her resolve was even stronger. No matter what I mattered more than anything else. That was more than food for thought as it dawned on me how selfish my mindset had become. Before I could meet my mothers reply Koko broke the silence in an almost panic filled rant,

"M-Me too! They took away everything important to us and you're all I have left. We'll go through this together- Don't even think about leaving me behind! I'll get better at using my magic and I'm good with herbs!" Koko became very aware that under pressure her healing magic was less than ideal.

Koko almost childlike stumbling brought out an unexpected smile to both our faces, mom pulling us into a group hug before we set out for the day. Heading into the kitchen we meet Ayla preparing breakfast, after which we all made our way downtown to the guild. The early morning walk was uneventful, most folk around here are friendly enough, greeting you with a smile or a nod, the place was surprisingly clean for a town filled with adventurers. The buildings are pretty well maintained aswell, using the strong jungle wood to the north as well as a mixture of stone.

Arriving at the guild hall, shock took hold of me, the sheer size of the building plows through my expectations. Ayla assures me most guild halls are smaller but because this town is a hotbed for adventure, they require a larger headquarters. Strolling inside we're met with a well lit interior filled with wooden furnishings and decorated with fancy furs. Surprisingly a fair amount of early birds are dotted around the hall in small groups, mostly eating and preparing for their day. Ayla leads us to the reception desk. A slightly frail looking man sat behind the desk, probably due to his lack of exercise, working silently through a stack of papers. He took a glance at us from the corner of his eye.

"tsk~"

H- HE CLICKED HIS TONGUE AT US?

"O-oi Ayla what did we do?" I whispered in a panic.

"Oh don't worry about John he's just so happy to see me~" Ayla coo'd as she leans over poor Johns desk to, apparently torment him? John took a deep breath, faced towards Ayla, face full of conviction! has he succumb to Ayla fleeting charm?! That thought flew passed me the same way Ayla did as John launched her with all his might, how the hell did his scrawny arms do that?

"Oooo~" mom whistled, clearly impressed.

*Cough* John recentered himself, a warm smile fell on his lips as he greeted us again.

"Welcome to the Adventurers Guild! It's my first time seeing you today so I can assume you're new to town?"

"Uhh- Y-Yeah, we're here to register" I stuttered out, my very core trembling at how well this man completely conceals his contempt. Is this what being a receptionist is all about? A pro...

"Wonderful! I hope you have your registration fee on you, 1 silver each." John demanded.

"Not to worry Johnny dear! I'm covering their fee! Are you impressed by my gracious deeds? Swooned even?" Johns eye twitched. Scary. As smoothly as he covered his rage, he also completely ignores Ayla and proceeds with our registration. 

After receiving our cards, thanking poor scary John before stepping away from the desk, Ayla needed to depart to set up her business for the day.

"You guys have fun with your new jobs and be safe! You can continue staying at the B&B so don't worry! bubyeee~"

You know, when she's not a screaming maniac, shes kind of... cute? 

Parting from Ayla we shuffle on over to the humongous quest board, plastered with notes. Mostly subjegation requests but there are some gathering and investigation orders too. While we are checking out the available options, a thump resounds throughout my chest. A flowery fragrance nestles around me, slowly turning my head and glancing out the corner of eye, a hooded figure is also searching the board. Struggling to make out any features, try as I might, only a tuft of white hair is visible. I can't understand why but my eyes are glued to them, the faint sound of the jungle tightens around me again, that familiar floaty feeling creeping up on me. I was dragged back to reality when they seemed to notice my gaze and made a hasty retreat from the hall.

"Avaa, Avvvaaa, Oiii! AVA!" 

"AHH- oh Koko, sorry" I sighed.

"Are you okay Ava?" Koko asked, throwing a worried glance my way.

"Yeah sorry, I was lost in thought there, so what are we gonna take?" I exclaimed, changing the subject before it got awkward.

"Yeah, how about this wolf hunting job? Says here it's a small pack for 10 silver plus 25 bronze for every fang." Mom pointed out, this would be a much easier mission for us to start with, being a village of hunters in the first place. I wasn't too interested mind you but Koko showed quite the enthusiasm so our quest was decided.

Spoiler

Currency is 100:1 ratio at all levels, lowest to highest: Bronze - Silver - Gold - Platinum

[collapse]
9